Change carbs and/or cardio

Mr.Tanno

Awards
To keep this post short my question is related to carb intake. I recently have increased my calorie intake by 300 the past 4 months trying to gain some mass which I have went from 152 to 165. I gained a little unwanted fat in my abdomen/ love handle area. I work out 4 days a week and am in a basketball league on Sunday's. And play sometimes randomly throughout the week.
My question would be to lower carbs and keep workout regimen the same/lower carbs add in some type of HIIT or cardio/ keep carbs same and add in cardio/HIt...

29 yrsold
5'8"
P:140-150
C:250
F:100
Let me know if you need more info.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
How have you gained mass with such low cal? I'm only 10 lbs heavier and eat 2x that to gain and I don't put on much fat. Increase protein to your body weight at least man. Fat is fine. If you're feeling a little soft and want to kind of tighten up, carbs are what should be dropped. Increase protein to compensate for the lost cals. It's never a bad idea to include cardio. Now I personally associate HIIT with cutting, so I wouldn't do that on a bulk, but that's just me. I would do 25-40 minutes on the stair master post workout. And lift 6x a week if you can. You're missing out on some gainz by taking that much time off.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
How have you gained mass with such low cal? I'm only 10 lbs heavier and eat 2x that to gain and I don't put on much fat. Increase protein to your body weight at least man. Fat is fine. If you're feeling a little soft and want to kind of tighten up, carbs are what should be dropped. Increase protein to compensate for the lost cals. It's never a bad idea to include cardio. Now I personally associate HIIT with cutting, so I wouldn't do that on a bulk, but that's just me. I would do 25-40 minutes on the stair master post workout. And lift 6x a week if you can. You're missing out on some gainz by taking that much time off.
Its the perks of a natural low basal metabolic rate... I can bulk on 2400 calories
:)

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Its the perks of a natural low basal metabolic rate... I can bulk on 2400 calories :)
Gah lee man that's nuts. I have to eat +3500 cal to see any movement on the scale. My BMR is ~1800 too haha.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Sometimes its a curse, I struggle not over eating when Im not wanting to bulk

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Sometimes its a curse, I struggle not over eating when Im not wanting to bulk
Well and I feel sick 98% of the time because I have to eat so much. Life is an antique balance beam scale.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would leave carbs alone and instead increase protein intake.

Mr.Tanno

Awards
Well it use to not be so easy. Up until about a year ago it was hard as hell for me to gain any type of weight but I was really active play Bball 4 times a week. I use to always lift for strength and now I am doing a hybrid and it has def increased some mass. Now that I'm older and don't have time for Bball anymore I guess I'm not burning as many calories and focusing on pushing weights etc. I'm also on OL Epic and strength which I believe has helped out ALOT. I know you can't build muscle without carbs so guess just looking for happy medium.

Mr.Tanno

Awards
But I can see that I def have room to grow with adding more calories from protein.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
But I can see that I def have room to grow with adding more calories from protein.
Just for your reference. When trying to grow, I eat ~400C 210P 90F comes out to about 3300 or so cal. You need to eat more bud

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Increasing protein will make a huge difference. Protein will keep you fuller longer.

Mr.Tanno

Awards
What about nutrient timing? Majority of carbs around training? Also what snacks do you all eat? I've been snacking on P3's while at work helps to get some extra protein in. I don't do whey as it upsets my stomach in a shake.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
What about nutrient timing? Majority of carbs around training? Also what snacks do you all eat? I've been snacking on P3's while at work helps to get some extra protein in. I don't do whey as it upsets my stomach in a shake.
Unless your job and life revolves around bodybuilding, I don't see a need for "nutrient timing". It's more about what you get in the day