Bodyweight Fluctuation?

BARKODE

Awards
On Sunday I was at 240.1 lbs. Yesterday, I was in my lowest which was 239.4 lbs. Now, I'm at 242 lbs. Is this just water?

I've been very strict on my diet as I'm carb cycling. Hitting them macros consistently. Doing cardio right. All my workouts are in high intensity.

I really just want to hit 2lbs/week since I'm currently overweight which should be easier since there could be a lot of water weight in me still.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Definitely just water.

For it to be fat, that would be over 10k calories exceeding your TDEE in a single day

Water fluctuation can be pretty huge

BARKODE

Awards
Definitely just water.

For it to be fat, that would be over 10k calories exceeding your TDEE in a single day

Water fluctuation can be pretty huge
Oh thank god. When cutting, these small factors are very taxing mentally. Thanks for that man!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
On Sunday I was at 240.1 lbs. Yesterday, I was in my lowest which was 239.4 lbs. Now, I'm at 242 lbs. Is this just water?

I've been very strict on my diet as I'm carb cycling. Hitting them macros consistently. Doing cardio right. All my workouts are in high intensity.

I really just want to hit 2lbs/week since I'm currently overweight which should be easier since there could be a lot of water weight in me still.
Hey man, how overweight are we talking? If quite a bit, carb cycling isnt needed and youd fare better just dropping calories.

carbs wont hinder fat loss if your in a deficit

BARKODE

Awards
Hey man, how overweight are we talking? If quite a bit, carb cycling isnt needed and youd fare better just dropping calories.

carbs wont hinder fat loss if your in a deficit
I'm 6'2" 240lbs. Around 17% bodyfat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'm 6'2" 240lbs. Around 17% bodyfat.
IMO id just focus on dropping calories first before getting too technical with carb cycling.

If carb cycling works for you and you enjoy it, then by all means continue

BARKODE

Awards
IMO id just focus on dropping calories first before getting too technical with carb cycling.

If carb cycling works for you and you enjoy it, then by all means continue
These are my macros:

High and medium on work out days. Low on rest days. If I calculate it right, I'm almost at 2700kcals(which is my 15% under maintenance) everytime since I do more work on workout days.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
These are my macros:

High and medium on work out days. Low on rest days. If I calculate it right, I'm almost at 2700kcals(which is my 15% under maintenance) everytime since I do more work on workout days.
Seems pretty good man!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My body weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs a day!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It's crazy some times. I guess I shouldn't use the weighing scale everyday.
I would never use it daily. I would use it once a week maximum and aim to always keep the preceding day a lower carb day and no extra salt, if you want to keep it more accurate

BARKODE

Awards
I would never use it daily. I would use it once a week maximum and aim to always keep the preceding day a lower carb day and no extra salt, if you want to keep it more accurate
Thank you for the tips brah!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5-8lb difference is normal for me from morning to evening. Most of it is water and undigested food from the day.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I weight my self everyday and I have for probably 50 years. I gain weight (fat) very easily, so if I see my weight going up I can tighten up my diet. It works for me, maybe not the next guy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I weight my self everyday and I have for probably 50 years. I gain weight (fat) very easily, so if I see my weight going up I can tighten up my diet. It works for me, maybe not the next guy.
Fat or muscle isn't gained or lost in a day. Weighing yourself daily isn't going to give you an accurate representation of whether or not anything is being gained or lost.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Fat or muscle isn't gained or lost in a day. Weighing yourself daily isn't going to give you an accurate representation of whether or not anything is being gained or lost.
Spot on.

BARKODE

Awards
Great advice from Driven2lift on the other post. Actually, I've never been more paranoid ever since I started weighing myself each day.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think this has more to do with mentality than anything. I weigh myself daily. I tend to also gain fat easily and I've been way overweight for a while. Having the habit of weighing myself every morning helps keep me in check. I don't beat myself up if I gain a pound one day or the next or whatever - but I always know. I also like to know how my body responds throughout the day with foods and water and such. I know I can gain 5-6 pounds in water weight in a day pretty easily and then it will all be gone when I wake up the next morning. But being in the habit of knowing my weight helps me monitor progress.

But I agree - daily changes shouldn't concern you and some people can't handle these changes mentally without becoming too concerned about them.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think this has more to do with mentality than anything. I weigh myself daily. I tend to also gain fat easily and I've been way overweight for a while. Having the habit of weighing myself every morning helps keep me in check. I don't beat myself up if I gain a pound one day or the next or whatever - but I always know. I also like to know how my body responds throughout the day with foods and water and such. I know I can gain 5-6 pounds in water weight in a day pretty easily and then it will all be gone when I wake up the next morning. But being in the habit of knowing my weight helps me monitor progress.

But I agree - daily changes shouldn't concern you and some people can't handle these changes mentally without becoming too concerned about them.
Thank you for posting, I was not going to respond and start a war of words on the web, but you hit the nail on the head, This is what works for you and I but maybe not the next person. The key to anything in life is to find "What Works For You" Thank you for sharing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think this has more to do with mentality than anything. I weigh myself daily. I tend to also gain fat easily and I've been way overweight for a while. Having the habit of weighing myself every morning helps keep me in check. I don't beat myself up if I gain a pound one day or the next or whatever - but I always know. I also like to know how my body responds throughout the day with foods and water and such. I know I can gain 5-6 pounds in water weight in a day pretty easily and then it will all be gone when I wake up the next morning. But being in the habit of knowing my weight helps me monitor progress. But I agree - daily changes shouldn't concern you and some people can't handle these changes mentally without becoming too concerned about them.
That last part highlights it all. If anything, it just leads to OCD and the more advanced one becomes, the more you learn that the scale is not important. More often than not, it doesn't give you an accurate representation of what's going on unless you're under the exact same conditions each and every time. It's the cheapest and most accessible tool, but it also is the least useful.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That last part highlights it all. If anything, it just leads to OCD and the more advanced one becomes, the more you learn that the scale is not important. More often than not, it doesn't give you an accurate representation of what's going on unless you're under the exact same conditions each and every time. It's the cheapest and most accessible tool, but it also is the least useful.
I agree with this too. Right now I am doing a PSMF diet and over the past week I've lost hardly anything. I've had weight shoot up 5 pounds during the day just from water intake. While I'm not losing weight, I can actually feel the difference in my body, see it in my face, see it with the tape measure, etc.

I think the scale and tape measure can be useful tools, but most people don't really know how to use them. The mirror is important too.

You are also correct - getting in a habit of using the scale under the same condition is good. That's why I use it first thing in the morning after I pee. It is very repeatable this way.

And yeah, I can be a little OCD about it....so it may not be right for everyone. If you wind up having anxiety or getting discouraged by it, it would be bad to be checking all the time. For me, it is just part of the pattern of dieting and monitoring and I don't take it too seriously.

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
Never step on a scale the day after eating a tub of cottage cheese

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always weigh more after a training day so I would always weigh myself after a rest day, once a week.

papersteroid

Awards
Weight changes can bring about a transitory weight increment of up to 5 pounds a day. It sets aside eventually for your digestive framework to process the nourishment, liquids and salt that you devour, and the substances that are as yet being handled will add to your weight.