Plateuing.. help!

ChrisG2

Awards
I have plateaud on my fat loss for about 2 months now, and am struggling to get it back on track. I am very close to my goal, I'm currently around 14% body fat and want to aim for 10%. I recently read about Calorie zig zagging and thought about doing so. My current calorie intake is 2000 a day which is supposed to put me at a 500 calories deficiet per day, but doesn't seem to be doing so for me lately. Thoughts on what to do? P.s. I recently decided to start integrating hiit and cardio, before I only did lifting. Thanks in advance!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I have plateaud on my fat loss for about 2 months now, and am struggling to get it back on track. I am very close to my goal, I'm currently around 14% body fat and want to aim for 10%. I recently read about Calorie zig zagging and thought about doing so. My current calorie intake is 2000 a day which is supposed to put me at a 500 calories deficiet per day, but doesn't seem to be doing so for me lately. Thoughts on what to do? P.s. I recently decided to start integrating hiit and cardio, before I only did lifting. Thanks in advance!
Have you tried playing with your macros? Have you been in he same deficit for the entire two months?

ChrisG2

Awards
Have you tried playing with your macros? Have you been in he same deficit for the entire two months?
Overall yes, minus a few cheat days here and there. I have ,however been recently adding a 100-200 calories on lifting days, but this was only about 2 weeks ago. I'm really not sure where to take it from here. Should I calorie zig zag or should I try dropping down to 1900 calories a day?

ChrisG2

Awards
And no I have not really played with my macros, it usually averages about 80g of fat, 100g of carbs, 200g of protein. Also, I weigh my meats after cooking them, is this the wrong way to do it?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
And no I have not really played with my macros, it usually averages about 80g of fat, 100g of carbs, 200g of protein. Also, I weigh my meats after cooking them, is this the wrong way to do it?
Packaging nutrition facts are based on uncooked, so it would effect calories a touch, though how much will obviously vary. Personally, I'd try dropping carbs for a bit and centering the carbs you do eat around your workout. Up fats to account for extra calories and see how your body responds.

ChrisG2

Awards
Packaging nutrition facts are based on uncooked, so it would effect calories a touch, though how much will obviously vary. Personally, I'd try dropping carbs for a bit and centering the carbs you do eat around your workout. Up fats to account for extra calories and see how your body responds.
Okay so I should or should not zig zag calories and I should eat more calories but get them from fat, if I understand correctly?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Okay so I should or should not zig zag calories and I should eat more calories but get them from fat, if I understand correctly?
No, I would eat the same amount of calories but alter my macros so that less were coming from carbs and more from fat.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Have you tried a re-feed or carb cycling to kick start you over again? Your numbers actually look pretty good. Try shifting training to high volume and hypertrophy to elevate hr during lifting. Combine this with HIIT, you're rockin and rollin.

Someone could give you a better answer I'm sure. Curious to see what others say.

ChrisG2

Awards
No, I would eat the same amount of calories but alter my macros so that less were coming from carbs and more from fat.
okay, thank you very much! Should I try dropping to 1900 and just see what happens?

ChrisG2

Awards
Have you tried a re-feed or carb cycling to kick start you over again? Your numbers actually look pretty good. Try shifting training to high volume and hypertrophy to elevate hr during lifting. Combine this with HIIT, you're rockin and rollin.

Someone could give you a better answer I'm sure. Curious to see what others say.
I do the occasional cheat day, but not often. Nor have I ever tried carb cycling, I did however just start integrating hiit and cardio this week, that may alone help bust through the plateau?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
okay, thank you very much! Should I try dropping to 1900 and just see what happens?
How much weight are you down? Have you adjusted calories since the beginning of your diet?

ChrisG2

Awards
I have not adjusted calories too much since the beginning. I'm down about 40 pounds and have been doing it slowly for about 10 months now.

ChrisG2

Awards
Also, on carb cycling, would you only go high carb on the days you workout or even on a cardio/rest day?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I have not adjusted calories too much since the beginning. I'm down about 40 pounds and have been doing it slowly for about 10 months now.
Then to back and recalculate calorie needs again with new weight and stats. Congratulations by the way, its a long journey. My loss was 75 pounds so I've been there. Its a great feeling.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
First of all, 40 lbs is awesome. Big life change that's awesome good for you.

You've lost 40 lbs and haven't adjusted your numbers? that's an issue.

1900 cal is way too low bro. You gotta eat to loose, just the right stuff.

No cheat days. Cheat MEALS

You just started HIIT. Continue that as it helps A LOT.

You need to be doing low intensity cardio. I do 40 mins on the stair master at 140 heart rate 5x a week

ChrisG2

Awards
Then to back and recalculate calorie needs again with new weight and stats. Congratulations by the way, its a long journey. My loss was 75 pounds so I've been there. Its a great feeling.
Thanks, but the problem is which calculator is the most accurate and secondly my age is a problem. I'm only 16 so my caloric requirements are automatically set fairly high...

ChrisG2

Awards
Whoa whoa. red flags everywhere.

You've lost 40 lbs and haven't adjusted your numbers? that's an issue.

1900 cal is way too low bro. You gotta eat to loose, just the right stuff.

No cheat days. Cheat MEALS

You just started HIIT. Continue that as it helps A LOT.
So you are suggesting that I up my calories? If I do so, should those calories come from fat/carbs/protein or what? Also, as fat loss continues do the number of calories not continue to go down? If they went up wouldn't I still be losing as it's as low as it's always been...if that makes sense?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Also, on carb cycling, would you only go high carb on the days you workout or even on a cardio/rest day?
No structure like that. 3 days low carb, 1 day high carb.

Carbs on high carb are oats, fruit, veggies, whole wheat noodles, brown rice, 4 slices of whole wheat bread (point is they are clean carbs)

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Thanks, but the problem is which calculator is the most accurate and secondly my age is a problem. I'm only 16 so my caloric requirements are automatically set fairly high...
Man I should have gathered more info before starting to answer. The Mifflin St. Jeor is the one we used in clinical settings though none of them are 100% accurate without a constant heart rate monitor etc.

With that said, at 16 I think you'd be better served eating right around, if not a touch above maintenance and focusing on growing and building into the frame you want. You're at a great age for growth and will be better served in the long run taking advantage of that as opposed to wrecking your metabolism in a desperate attempt to get abs.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Go to IIFYM.com

Accurate calculator.

I'm not exactly recommending you increase cals but rather warning you not to drop to 1900. That's dangerously close to your BMR. Being 500 under maintenance is pretty darn good. Get more cals from protein and then fat leave the rest to carbs. Just as the other fella suggested. 9 cal per gram of fat. 4 cal per gram of protein.

ChrisG2

Awards
No structure like that. 3 days low carb, 1 day high carb.

Carbs on high carb are oats, fruit, veggies, whole wheat noodles, brown rice, 4 slices of whole wheat bread (point is they are clean carbs)
Alright, I will try this idea, seems interesting. On the high carb day, do I aim for maintenance or do I get 2000 calories?

ChrisG2

Awards
Man I should have gathered more info before starting to answer. The Mifflin St. Jeor is the one we used in clinical settings though none of them are 100% accurate without a constant heart rate monitor etc.

With that said, at 16 I think you'd be better served eating right around, if not a touch above maintenance and focusing on growing and building into the frame you want. You're at a great age for growth and will be better served in the long run taking advantage of that as opposed to wrecking your metabolism in a desperate attempt to get abs.
The goal was, finish my cut completely and then come summer time start a clean bulk from there on out. I wanted to hit a low body fat % before starting a bulk, I do however have a great foundation of muscle mass. I have just always been fairly fat my whole life, I want to experience the abs for once!!

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Alright, I will try this idea, seems interesting. On the high carb day, do I aim for maintenance or do I get 2000 calories?
That's a difficult question to answer considering my plan is laid out by a coach. I really don't know, I just eat what's on the list. I would say that day, eat about 30g carbs per meal (6 meals a day) (which is double your low carb day) and allow that to push you over your calories. Don't obsess about the numbers brotha. That held me back too!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
The goal was, finish my cut completely and then come summer time start a clean bulk from there on out. I wanted to hit a low body fat % before starting a bulk, I do however have a great foundation of muscle mass. I have just always been fairly fat my whole life, I want to experience the abs for once!!
I definitely understand the motivation. In the end its the internet and we are just providing opinions. As long as you throw in the occassional refeed you aren't going to squash your metabolism and should be ok.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Before going any further I just want to tell you that I'm happy for you. You're a 16 year old kid who has figured it out. It isn't about drugs, it's about nutrition and busting your @$$. Most kids just want to take a pro hormone. Good for you. Keep up the mature knowledge. You have absolutely no idea how well it's going to benefit you. 10 years you will be a beast!!

ChrisG2

Awards
I appreciate both of your guys' help and consideration, I'll shoot for high carbs tomorrow and refeed while giving carb cycling a shot.

ChrisG2

Awards
Before going any further I just want to tell you that I'm happy for you. You're a 16 year old kid who has figured it out. It isn't about drugs, it's about nutrition and busting your @$$. Most kids just want to take a pro hormone. Good for you. Keep up the mature knowledge. You have absolutely no idea how well it's going to benefit you. 10 years you will be a beast!!
One last question on this carb cycling thing, should I only go high carb on workout days or even on rest days?

ChrisG2

Awards
I definitely understand the motivation. In the end its the internet and we are just providing opinions. As long as you throw in the occassional refeed you aren't going to squash your metabolism and should be ok.
Not sure if you get the notification when I don't quote so I'll ask and quote you as well, on carb cycling; should I go high carb only on the days when I'm working out or even on rest days also?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Not sure if you get the notification when I don't quote so I'll ask and quote you as well, on carb cycling; should I go high carb only on the days when I'm working out or even on rest days also?
Im subbed to the thread so I get notifications with every post. With that said, I don't practice carb cycling. I do, however, line up my cheat days and recedes with heavy deadlift or squat days.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
One last question on this carb cycling thing, should I only go high carb on workout days or even on rest days?
You don't have to quote us, it just makes it easier for us to see who exactly you are responding to

I don't plan the high carb day. Again, it's 3 low 1 high. Doesn't matter if it's a workout day or a rest day. It's a cycle.

ChrisG2

Awards
Okay I'll do a cycle and hit maintenance once a week. Thank you both very much!

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Okay I'll do a cycle and high maintenance once a week. Thank you both very much!
You're very welcome. Love helping young smart kids. Keep it up brother. Consistency is key! Never stop reading and learning. If you get stuck again, post on this thread someone will be happy to help you.

Thanks for the reps