Fats and how they work.

nrerras

nrerras

Awards
Ok I am not expert on this just going on what little knowledge I have, but first Saturated Fats around for hormonal production, that one I have no problem with but when get other fats in my diet I am not a believer in this canola oil, soy bean oil, sun flower oil, peanut oil, I feel olive oil and flax seed are better, and will not cause as much estrogen as the first three oils, this is just my opinion. Any what to talk about the fats and which ones affect estrogen more and store more as fat and which ones are best for joint health, please join in.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bad Fats
Saturated Fat-Found in: Butter, lard, coconut oils.-What it does: Raises LDL; blocks protective effect of HDL.
Trans Fat-Found in: Packaged and processed foods. (Look for “partially hydroge*nated oil” on the ingredients label.)-What it does: Raises LDL; lowers HDL.
Better Fats
Polyunsaturated Fat-Found in: Corn, soybean and flaxseed oils.-What it does: Lowers LDL; no effect on HDL.
Monounsaturated Fat-Found in: Safflower, olive, sunflower, canola and peanut oils.-What it does: Lowers LDL; may raise HDL.
Eating a diet high in saturated or trans fat increases inflammation, whereas a diet that contains more unsaturated fat may help lower inflammation.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
Bad Fats
Saturated Fat-Found in: Butter, lard, coconut oils.-What it does: Raises LDL; blocks protective effect of HDL.
Trans Fat-Found in: Packaged and processed foods. (Look for “partially hydroge*nated oil” on the ingredients label.)-What it does: Raises LDL; lowers HDL.
Better Fats
Polyunsaturated Fat-Found in: Corn, soybean and flaxseed oils.-What it does: Lowers LDL; no effect on HDL.
Monounsaturated Fat-Found in: Safflower, olive, sunflower, canola and peanut oils.-What it does: Lowers LDL; may raise HDL.
Eating a diet high in saturated or trans fat increases inflammation, whereas a diet that contains more unsaturated fat may help lower inflammation.
Where did you find this bad info. Lol

I know trans fats are junk but saturated fats are the way to go.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bad Fats
Trans Fat-Found in: Packaged and processed foods. (Look for "partially hydroge*nated oil" on the ingredients label.)-What it does: Raises LDL; lowers HDL.
Better Fats
Very outdated information. Polys (except n3) should be limited and saturated shouldnt be feared.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mmm.. butter..

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Mmm.. butter..
Definitely.

I must admit, its been a while since I delved into nutrition as i'm focusing more on programming and biomechanics. Has much changed in a year?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely.

I must admit, its been a while since I delved into nutrition as i'm focusing more on programming and biomechanics. Has much changed in a year?
Nope not really.

Biomechanics is fun stuff. Especially once you look at it through a pain science lens. Things get real interesting then.

Ivan Slaven

Ivan Slaven

Awards
I thought coconut oil was an exception. Yes, it is solid at room temperature, but the molecular composition is actually that of a medium-chained triglyceride. I've baked with it and have had no ill effect. The only complaint I have is the relatively low smoke point (350 degrees F).

David147

Awards
At rest the primary energy source of skeletal muscle is free fatty acids with about 10-15% of energy requirements coming from amino acids. the brain only requires 5 grams of glucose per hour to function properly. the muscles only switches to using primarily glucose for energy when during moderate to high intensity exercise.

the body is ALWAYS utilizing substrates from each macro nutrient group. the availability of these nutrients and the bodies current energy demands determines the ratio of each that is used.

lipids (fats) are released from lipocytes (fat cells) and are transported across the cell membrane into the muscle cell (myocytes). here they are converted to the cellular energy source called ATP with the end result being heat energy.