JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effects of intermittent fasting on markers of body composition and mood state

Background
Optimal athletic performance is often linked to body composition, therefore depending on sport and position, a decrease in body fat would lean toward an increase in athletic fitness. A recent trend in decreasing body fat while maintaining muscle has emerged, called intermittent fasting. Some research has suggested that ingesting calories only in a certain time frame during the day (8 hour, 10hour window) would put the body into fat metabolism while avoiding muscle catabolism during the remaining fasting hours. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of intermittent fasting and resistance training on body composition, mood state, and resting energy expenditure.

Methods
Twenty-four participants (males n= 8 and females n= 16) volunteered to participate in this study and were randomly assigned to one of three groups: Resistance training only (RT), where they performed 4 upper and lower body split workouts a week, Intermittent Fasting only (IMF), this group consumed calories in an 8 hour window while maintaining normal free living activity, and Intermittent Fasting plus Resistance Training (IMFRT), this group participated in 4 workouts per week as well as only ingesting calories within the 8 hour window. Participants completed baseline testing consisting of Resting Energy Expenditure on a TrueOne ParvoMedics metabolic cart to determine caloric need, as well as measuring body composition using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry scan (DEXA). For the next 30 days the participants followed their group protocol, while coming in at day 15 for a weigh-in as well as a completion of a mood state questionnaire. The final testing session occurred at the end of the 30-day workout and/or dietary intervention. Data analysis was performed using a MANCOVA [3(group)x 2(time) gender as a covariate], as well as Independent Samples T-Test to determine individual group differences, post hoc test were set at p<0.05. Consent to publish the results was obtained from all participants.

Results
There was a significant linear interaction shown for lean mass from Day 1 to Day 30 (p=0.002). A significant difference in Resting Energy Expenditure was also found for the groups (p=.010). Independent samples t-tests found a significant difference in weight (p=0.037) as well as fat mass (p=0.036) between the Intermittent Fasting plus Resistance Training group compared to the Resistance training only group. There were no significant differences shown between the Intermittent Fasting plus Resistance Training and Intermittent Fasting only. Also when compared, the Intermittent Fasting and Resistance Training only group had no significant differences. A Nonparametric tests reviled no significant differences between mood states for the groups.

Conclusion
An 8-hour eating and 16-hour fasting day resulted in a decrease in fat mass as well as weight for the Intermittent Fasting plus Resistance Training group when compared to the Resistance Training only group. On the other hand no differences were found between the Resistance Training only group and Intermittent Fasting group, hinting to that intermittent fasting alone may not be affective in decreasing body fat percent. However, when paired with resistance training, lean mass can be retained and/or enhanced while decreasing body fat, thus enhancing body composition.
So for you IF guys, make sure you are also lifting if you want to optimize your fat loss

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So for you IF guys, make sure you are also lifting if you want to optimize your fat loss
I've been IF and in 4 weeks, I've lost 15 lbs.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
Switched up the diet to IF this Monday. Had success with it last year, but wasn't lifting as often.

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
Started IF yesterday, trying to shift the usual spots of suborn fat on chest and waist.

Eating from 10am till 5pm, total calories 2000 (will raise this when I start my cycle) macros 50P/30C/20F will try this for a couple of weeks and adjust accordingly. I am a bit worried about the rebound effect if you stop IF? How would you go from IF to regular eating while still watching your macros/calories?

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
I always would like to try IF, but don't think I could do the 16 hr fast? Need to give it a whirl though in spring??

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Waiting for full text. I've tried IF, prefer carb cycling though.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Waiting for full text. I've tried IF, prefer carb cycling though.
I do a combination of both with great success. 16hr fast with a 8hr feeding window and manipulate carb intake according to training and off day schedule

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do a combination of both with great success. 16hr fast with a 8hr feeding window and manipulate carb intake according to training and off day schedule
Wasn't there an article/study/bro science **** that said IF doesn't feed the body enough for proper nutrient absorption for gaining mass? On paper is sounds interesting but doesn't really make sense.

greekbrah91

Awards
Same here. Been doing IF + Carb Cyling on this cut for a couple months now and getting nice results. I actually look forward to upping my fats on off days despite the minimal carbs, especially since I have higher carb days to look forward to. I like the variety.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same here. Been doing IF + Carb Cyling on this cut for a couple months now and getting nice results. I actually look forward to upping my fats on off days despite the minimal carbs, especially since I have higher carb days to look forward to. I like the variety.
my feelings exactly! And since I've began eating this way I've never binge eaten anything and felt guilty afterwards. And honestly I believe I'm in the best shape of my life

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IF with recompadrol and MP is hands down best thing I've done to lean out

As I stare at my empty Chinese food Tupperware and pizza box looking at my abs....

Yea, talk about band aid for bad meals with a great meal timing set up

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wasn't there an article/study/bro science **** that said IF doesn't feed the body enough for proper nutrient absorption for gaining mass? On paper is sounds interesting but doesn't really make sense.
Bro just eat in a surplus

I personally use intra carbs and aminos them eat solid food starting at my feeding window

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro just eat in a surplus

I personally use intra carbs and aminos them eat solid food starting at my feeding window
I was just curious to see if that was true, I have no intentions of using IF. I like taking a more old school approach to dieting lll