Weight loss issue

HailState

HailState

Awards
Hi everyone,

Brand new member here so bare with me. I've always had trouble with my weight ever since I've been able to notice I was the chubby kid in class. I've weighed as much as 242 lbs (powerlifting days) and as little as 155 lbs. Right now, I'm at 200 lbs and standing 5'10" at age 25. Basically all fat with a decent amount of strength. I want to get down to 165-175 and keep it there, but I struggle with my eating habits because of my love for good food as well as sweets. I've gone through spurts where I could eat very strict and do very well until one cheat day turns into a cheat week and then before you know it, I'm over the whole fitness scene until I get back to this point of being disgusted with myself. I know what everyone will suggest and it's all true. Stick to eating right and exercise, but are there any other tips? I'm open to them all.

Thanks!

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I always think of this as. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Take it slow and give yourself small goals eventually they will turn into big ones. Its the best way to ensure you reach your full potential day in and day out.

HailState

HailState

Awards
You're right about that. Nice way to approach it. Are there any good diets to follow for me to be successful? I've had some success using intermittent fasting.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
All diets theoretically should work as long as you STICK with them. Just pick one you enjoy doing and LEAVE IT ALONE. Best advice I can give. As long as your in a deficit daily your going to lose eventually. If your interested in some sups to help you just let me know.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
But are there any recommended diets?
The diet that works best for you will be the one you can stick to and maintain.

If you feel crappy without carbs don't do a low carb diet, etc.

The primary factor for effectiveness is that you maintain a caloric deficit.
Eat 500 calories less than you need to maintain weight.

Track calories and be consistent, monitor progress weekly and adjust if needed.

Other factors are cardio (activity level) and supplements.

Do not start out dieting with all these tools at once, start with a caloric deficit, add in cardio slowly as needed to maintain weight loss, try supplementing when it gets hard in terms of energy levels or hunger.

If hungry, try Norcodrene
Lethargic, try Alphamine or ECA

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
^^ true. I usually like to cycle carbs, but sometimes I keto which is low carbs. It isn't that bad tho it takes time to adjust to. People have found iiym to good for flexible dieting and staying by it. Some supplements could use would be the basics like sns creatine, caffeine, etc.

HailState

HailState

Awards
I appreciate the feedback, guys! It seems like it really just comes down to self discipline. The worst part about doing one of these is how my family eats whatever and whenever.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think what I'm about to say is going to overlap with much of what was said above - it is all true. However, the point you may be missing is that it is NOT just about discipline. There is a book called "Change Anything" and he talks about how many people buy a treadmill and never use it after the initial excitement. They think they are not disciplined, but they are missing some keys to creating lasting change (and thank God no change is truly permanent).

When someone buys a treadmill, where do they put it normally? In the basement. How many people buy a TV and never use it? Not many. What is the difference? Environment. How much TV would you watch if you had to go down in your basement and seclude yourself and be uncomfortable while you watched it? Not nearly as much as when it is in the center of your house with a setup that creates comfort. If you put the treadmill somewhere that is easier for you to use it, you will be more likely to be "disciplined".

In this same way, you need to look at your lifestyle, and find the small things you can change that will make a difference in achieving your goals, and be easy to follow. You will build momentum this way. Don't try to go from "eating anything whenever you want" to having "the perfect diet". You may pull it off for a month or two, but you have to live life and as the posters above said - you have to eat this elephant slowly, one bite at a time.

Make small changes that you can live with, that are reasonable/relatively easy to follow. Don't try to ignore your environment, work with it.

Also, find and clarify your reason WHY you are doing this.

My story is somewhat similar to yours - I worked out quite a bit in high school/college and was in decent shape. Then I got into the corporate world, started living life, and let things go. For over 10 years I didn't work out and ate like a pig. I gained over 100 pounds and lost quite a bit of muscle. Then I saw my grandmother, in her 80's, having such poor health she could no longer climb stairs, then could no longer walk, and now can barely stand up on her own. I realized this was more a factor of her not taking care of herself than it was of her "getting old" like she wants to believe.

I then looked at my dad who is in his 60's and needs knee replacements. I realized he was in WORSE shape now than my grandmother was 20 years ago. I then saw myself, in my 30's...and realized I was on that path too! I decided to get in shape - so that I could MOVE, not so that I would lose weight. It has been 2 years, and I've only lost about 45 pounds - but I've gained considerable amounts of muscle, I can move in ways that would surprise most people (they would still see me as being a fatty), and I am much healthier. I still have weight to lose, but I am not trying to change everything - I am just following through on my WHY.

This allows me to eat what I want, when I want, and then get back on track the next day, or week, or whenever. Because my WHY isn't "I'm disgusted with myself." My why is a combination of avoiding the long term pain of losing my health, but also the pleasure of having health NOW.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
As a rep talking i would recommend trying throttle by menace nutrition and running it and seeing the results you will get.
As a forum member im going to say its all in the diet man. Eatting right and doing cardio is what you need and its not secret. Lower your calorie intake drink lots of water so your not as hungry and see how that treats you.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a carb cycler like Abe, and have found that to be (for me personally) the best way to get and stay lean. But my workouts are also fairly intense and burn a ton of calories during and after using the EPOC effect. I tried IIFYM, but wasn't able to get it to really work. It's a personal thing though. Trying different methods, and not just for a few days, until you find one that works best for you is going to help the most. But most of all, as stated multiple times, YOU HAVE TO STICK TO IT!

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Try having your cheat meal after a work out. I always had mine on leg day.

That way the excess calories have a chance to contribute to muscle growth, it doesn't ruin your day, it doesn't negatively impact you mentally, and you don't get off track.

Find little tricks like the one above that work for you. Then come here and share them!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try having your cheat meal after a work out. I always had mine on leg day.
I do the same. I exert so much energy on leg day.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I like the anabolic diet by the way. Any diet that has a calorie deficit followed over time will work.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I do the same. I exert so much energy on leg day.
Leg day = open the flood gates! Put that cheat meal to work building muscle. More muscle = more daily resting calorie expenditure. It was also my only chance to be able to walk again that week?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HailState

HailState

Awards
I've had success with it in the past. I've just begun doing it again yesterday. For me, the first week is rough. After that, it's smooth sailing.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a fan. I loved it when I was doing it, but realized my progress was limited an it was making me cranky.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a fan. I loved it when I was doing it, but realized my progress was limited an it was making me cranky.
I can't do IF. My stomach starts digesting itself after 4 hours without food.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had success with it in the past. I've just begun doing it again yesterday. For me, the first week is rough. After that, it's smooth sailing.
I don't even notice the time anymore. It's like, "oh, it's time to eat already?!"

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I used to follow IF for about 6-7months but like JR said... It was making me a bit grumpy being hungry, I like to space out my food as much as poss now. :)

Lower carb works well for me, I'm still eating around 200g but dropping to say 180-160 I don't feel any more hungry.

David147

Awards
Losing weight fast usually involves doing things that are unsustainable such as starving yourself or going on diets that you can't possibly continue for longer than a few weeks. Doing these things might cause you to lose weight, mostly water weight, but you'll end up gaining it all back when you go back to eating regularly.

The best thing to do is to change your eating habits. See it as a life long change. You can still pig out every now and then but for 90% of your meals, eat healthy and clean. It'll be hard at first but once you get used to it, it'll be become your new normal eating habit.