Diet advice needed

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
I have been on a huge drive to loose a lot of bodyfat for the last 3 months so I have totally changed my diet and training routine. Been very happy with the results so far (dropped 8kg of BF) but I seem to have stalled. I am about to start this cycle in a few weeks and would like some advice on any tweaks I could make to my diet.

All the excess fat I have now is around my waist and chest (the hardest places to loose)

I am 84kg, 5ft 9in and 41 years old. I train 4 days a week at 11am. 1 day all cardio, weights 3 day split (interval training) with 40 minutes of cardio. (10 minutes warm-up and 30 minutes after weights). Training harder than I ever have with very high intensity cardio.

Here is an example of what I generally eat in a day.

7am - 30 grams of oats with skimmed milk, one scoop of whey protein with a banana and blackberry's or raspberry's.
10am - handful (approx 20grams) of peanuts or teaspoon of peanut butter, banana and a whey protein drink.
11am train
1pm - small jacket potato with a tin of tuna or chicken breast with some brown rice and vegetables.
4pm - handful of peanuts (approx 20grams) or teaspoon of peanut butter, banana and a whey protein drink.
7pm - chicken breast, salmon or steak with vegetables.
10pm - whey protein drink.

Supplements - fish oil, glucosamine and multivitamin.

I have one cheat day a week where I will eat out and not worry about carb intake too much

I drink at least 6 to 8 ltrs of water a day. I know I have a long way to go but want to make sure I am not doing anything to hinder my progress.

Any advice as always is appreciated.

jaces

jaces

Awards
To many shakes imo , drop the shakes and sub them with whole foods

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
The shakes don't matter don't listen to this^
Whey protein is one of the cleanest sources of cals you can get

Your at 3 months,seems like your body has reached the point where it has adjusted to your current cal intake and exercise level aka homeostasis. At this point you either could a. Cut cals a little more b. add another cardio only session in or something similar (increase caloric burn) or c. Ramp cals up for a few weeks then come back down

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
drop the shakes to no more than 2 a day, lower your carbs, up your healthy fats.

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
How does this sound?

Replace a daytime protein drink with another protein source. (probably a tin of mackerel to add good fats) Cannot really drop shakes all together.

Will also replace bananas with apples, did not realize how many carbs/sugars where in them until I checked.

Add on another day of cardio

jaces

jaces

Awards
How does this sound?

Replace a daytime protein drink with another protein source. (probably a tin of mackerel to add good fats) Cannot really drop shakes all together.

Will also replace bananas with apples, did not realize how many carbs/sugars where in them until I checked.

Add on another day of cardio
Sounds good , you can also keep the banana and just remove one piece of fruit every 2 weeks (berries and grapes count as 1 piece)

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
Was chatting to a guy today at the gym and I will keep my pre workout banana and change out the other two.

wray98

wray98

Awards
I'm a big believer in whole foods. Try and keep shakes to a minimum and put your carbs around your training. Like stated above you could add some additional cardio or train with less rest between sets. Up your water, make sure you are drinking cold water, your body will have to heat the water up and that will make your body work a bit more. Cycling carbs is always an idea and/or upping your healthy fats a tad bit. Good luck!

jaces

jaces

Awards
I'm a big believer in whole foods. Try and keep shakes to a minimum and put your carbs around your training. Like stated above you could add some additional cardio or train with less rest between sets. Up your water, make sure you are drinking cold water, your body will have to heat the water up and that will make your body work a bit more. Cycling carbs is always an idea and/or upping your healthy fats a tad bit. Good luck!
I Second the whole food idea , most bodybuilders drop shakes come contest prep

wray98

wray98

Awards
I Second the whole food idea , most bodybuilders drop shakes come contest prep
Whole food is best, but for the goals Damn Shame is trying to accomplish shakes are probably going to be fine, but keep them to a minimum still. No more than 2 a day!

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
I have added another cardio day and cut back my carbs a little.

I really want to get my diet as good as I can. Unfortunately it is just not practical for me to drop protein drinks. Already drinking at least 1.5 to 2 gallons of cold water a day. Don't drink anything else from when I wake up till I sleep.

I have noticed change this week so hopefully the small changes I have made are working. :)

wray98

wray98

Awards
I have added another cardio day and cut back my carbs a little.

I really want to get my diet as good as I can. Unfortunately it is just not practical for me to drop protein drinks. Already drinking at least 1.5 to 2 gallons of cold water a day. Don't drink anything else from when I wake up till I sleep.

I have noticed change this week so hopefully the small changes I have made are working. :)
Sounds good bro! My bad on the water comment, I just re read your initial post and saw ltrs.. at first I saw 6-8 I was assuming glasses.

David147

Awards
If you want to do this it is for life so you need to totally change your way of eating and exercising. This is not a diet rather than a healthy eating plan for life. So no more talking diet cause it means time limit.

Here are the golden rules:
Initially cut down to 1200 calories.
Exercise 6 times per week for 1 hours a day. Do three weight sessions and three cardio sessions. No gym involved if you don't have the access.
Don't eat carbs after 4pm, never eat carbs within 2 hours of exercise or within 1 hour of exercise.
Drink 3 litres of water per day. You can have a green tea at the end of the day.
Limit your fruit in take to 2 pieces per day.
Never eat dinner after 6pm.
Adopt of low GI eating plan this is sustainable for life!
Make low fat dairy choices

Follow this menu plan as a suggestion:
Breakfast 7am - 1 cup hot water w lemon
20 minutes later have a bowel of oats w water (no honey) OR
fruit salad w low GI soy yogurt
Snack 10am - pear or apple (both low GI)
Lunch 12.30pm - muligrain sandwich w 50g tuna & salad (no butter)
Snack 3pm - low GI yogurt OR skim berry smoothie (no honey or banana) plenty of ice, 1/2 cup skim milk & 1/4 cup yogurt
Dinner 5.30pm - 120g grilled lean meat/fish/prawns/tofu patties (not fried) w spinach salad & mixed vegies (no whites, carbs) OR 3 egg white/soy omlette with ham, cheese and tomato
Snack - 1 scoop of low cal low fat ice cream (if hungry)