43yr old needing ab help

Trich27

Awards
Let's start by saying I am 43 and don't want to get old and flabby. I find myself to be in descent shape and just need a little guidance. I'm not a heavy lifter with all of the surgeries I've had on shoulders and hips in the past due to heavy abuse from athletics and motocross riding. I still motocross some but not nearly as aggressive as the younger days. Takes a lot longer to heal from hitting the ground than it use to. I'm 6' and 209lbs and it's getting harder to keep those love handles away. My job is a 14hr day with the commute so time is also a limiting factor if I want to get sleep. I've tried p90x and p90x3 with some results but it's obvious unless you do the nutrition plan step by step the Tony Horton body isn't going to happen. On my cardio days I run 2miles and follow the p90x3 work out daily. I liked the p90x better but with life it's all I can do to get any workout in. I'm a baked chicken and juicing type eating habit guy but I guess at my age it's just not enough. Oh I didn't mention that I work shift work so my body doesn't recognize what position the sun is at. I read all over this forum about cutting but am clueless. I have gained about 5lbs of muscle (I assume) in the last 3 months but no change in the midsection. Sorry if this seems all over the place but it's 4am and I'm fixing to get off work and drive 1hr home. So any insight to help me from not only being old but mostly not looking old I'd appreciate the help.

warrior737

Awards
Your diet is key to problem area fat loss. Abs are made in the kitchen. Ab work only strengthens the stomach core and builds the muscle bellys. It is almost impossible to spot reduce fat by doing tons of abdominal excercises. As you lean out the abs will come.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Old guy here (54)! Abs are indeed made in the kitchen! As I get older I find that my carb intake directly affects my waistline. Have you figured your macros for your goals? Start by visiting IIFYM dot com website and use the calculators there. Your long drive (sitting) definitely doesn't help. Also, "juicing" fruits has a ton of sugars (carbs) in them.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree.. make your diet the number one issue in your life and tonys body can be yours!. don't be afraid to starve a little.. like as in prior to your long ride home.. don't eat a few hrs before that.. so your not sitting there with a full stomach. try and stay alert and keep busy during the risde home as well.. I recommend tuning into some one like mark Levin and do some learning. this will help you feel more alert when you get home which can carry some of the motivation along so you can complete your work outs..

is the p90x3 the short work out? if so maybe you could do it once before work and once after work..?

Trich27

Awards
Getting old sucks, pretty much damned if you do damned if you don't. The juicing helps with all the internal stuff but I didn't take into consideration the sugars You are dead on with the diet thing. My core is solid but the old sick pack is buried. My work is a killer as far as diet goes. Tried p90x diet but with work and lack of time to prepare it was impossible. Having a hard time finding a leaning diet that works and for those of us that don't have banker's hours. thanks for the input,

warrior737

Awards
Hey man. I work at a desk all day. It is always hard for me to find time for good diet. I work about 11 hrs 5 days a week minimum. I try and stay away from carbs during the day and stick with high protein meals. expecially cause Im sitting. I feel that food that digests quicker has more of a chance to be stored as fat or extra calories cause your not burning it up. Carbs bloat me up. I try and prep my mid day snack, lunch and snack after lunch. I stick with meat mostly and maybe some rice. I find that fast paced walking always helps me shred a bit better than hiit cardio. Mostly I feel like it preserves more muscle as you burn calories. Walking doesn't burn muscle glycogen like running doe.s So it helps preserve the muscle you have while burning extra calories. Try and walking for around 20 min before and after your workouts for 4 weeks. It will help. In the winter I can easily reach 240 and summer I go down to -+215. I go up and down pretty quick.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
google will offer you a lot of info.. also books! you can search smething like; bodybuilding diets .
when it comes to losing weight you will want to find a diet that appeals to you. something u can stick with your schedual.
also there is tons of info in the home and news section of this site.