Best cardio routine for fat loss

lilbigman1

Banned
Awards
Carrying alittle extra fat what's your guys opinions I've never really done cardio before

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Carrying alittle extra fat what's your guys opinions I've never really done cardio before
Pretty much any exercise or sport that gets your heart rate up and is enjoyable. Walking on treadmill, HIIT, elliptical, sprints,etc! Anything will work bruh

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could do hours of tedious cardio orrrr you could just fix your diet and keep lifting. But I'm a big fan of just walking

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If you're overweight to the point where weight bearing hurts your body, swimming is the best option. Otherwise, trampoline is pretty damn gruesome. Go to a bounce house and tell me you aren't tired in 5 minutes

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Just get out and walk .... if you don't live in a flat land area walk somewhere that allows for some incline as well. Much better than the treadmill or elliptical IMO. Sure you can walk the treadmill or elliptical set for varied terrain ..... OR you can do the same thing out in the real world and get some fresh air and experience life around you. I try and get out and walk for about an hour at least 2 times a week on my OFF days.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
huge believer in doing whatever form of cardio doesn't hurt recovery from weight training

ditched HIIT for 20-30m LISS sessions of walking my dog, and I was recovering better and my legs are growing better

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
huge believer in doing whatever form of cardio doesn't hurt recovery from weight training

ditched HIIT for 20-30m LISS sessions of walking my dog, and I was recovering better and my legs are growing better
This, I was doing HIIT twice a week, dropped it to once a week, and now just do 20-30 minutes of MISS. I must say, my legs feel so much better. Doesn't mean that HIIT shouldn't be used, just have to try and see what works.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just get out and walk .... if you don't live in a flat land area walk somewhere that allows for some incline as well. Much better than the treadmill or elliptical IMO. Sure you can walk the treadmill or elliptical set for varied terrain ..... OR you can do the same thing out in the real world and get some fresh air and experience life around you. I try and get out and walk for about an hour at least 2 times a week on my OFF days.
damn good avice right there...

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
If you've never done cardio before; any cardio is going to be better than nothing. Coupled with cleaning up your nutrition, you should see results quickly.

AlberTOP

AlberTOP

Awards
When it comes to cardio workout, Either swimming or boxing will be my choice.

wray98

wray98

Awards
Walking the dog! If you don't have a dog... treadmill work is fine on an incline with a certain speed that doesn't make your heart rate jump out of your chest and turn the treadmill off. :)

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
if your cals are low and your diet is clean.. and your weight training is intense and heavy... all you need for cardio is just walking. I see guys getting ready for shows just walking on the treadmill. HITT is great... but if u already killing the iron and or you are very Heavy .. HITT can do more damage than good. I do HITT with the heavy bag keeps my legs from getting burned out.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
anyone tried road cycling all of the older guys who i know who ride the bike alot have crazy vascularity and are shredded

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
road cycling is a great way to get into shape but not a great way to get big like a body builder. the typical tour de france rider isn't just geared up to perform better, they are also using PEDs to maintain size. the catabolism brought on by long cycle rides can be tremendous.

that said, if your only concern is fat loss, by all means put 10-15 miles on your road bike per day and see how fast you drop weight. it'll burn off some fat now.

RamboStallone

RamboStallone

Awards
Having a routine that you are not going to get bored with and are going to stick to is the best routine.....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also great advice. I was 240 pounds my freshman year of high school, entering the year. I went out after school and walked around my area for 30-60 minutes everyday while having the same crappy diet. I was eating just a little less of the same crap. By the spring, I was down to 200 lbs.

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
anyone tried road cycling all of the older guys who i know who ride the bike alot have crazy vascularity and are shredded
That's because they ride 30-70 miles at a time, several days a week. It's not a cheap cardio option; My first bike + all the equipment cost me between $1500-1800.

road cycling is a great way to get into shape but not a great way to get big like a body builder. the typical tour de france rider isn't just geared up to perform better, they are also using PEDs to maintain size. the catabolism brought on by long cycle rides can be tremendous.

that said, if your only concern is fat loss, by all means put 10-15 miles on your road bike per day and see how fast you drop weight. it'll burn off some fat now.
I run sprint/olympic triathlons, do 30-40 mile rides in addition to running/swimming and strength training; I'm 248lbs. Catabolism is only an issue if your nutrition is.

Just use the stationary bike at the gym if your only concern is fat loss.

jaces

jaces

Awards
That's because they ride 30-70 miles at a time, several days a week. It's not a cheap cardio option; My first bike + all the equipment cost me between $1500-1800.

I run sprint/olympic triathlons, do 30-40 mile rides in addition to running/swimming and strength training; I'm 248lbs. Catabolism is only an issue if your nutrition is.

Just use the stationary bike at the gym if your only concern is fat loss.
Correct!!

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
what do you suggest for keeping size strength when trying to get in like 70-100 miles a week

should i just go bcaa route or do i need to add carbs in that?

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
I plan based off rides/run time.

Per hour of endurance training I sip on about 2-6g of BCAAs, 45-80g of carbs, and then 4-6g BCAAs post training.

BCAA and carbs during training has been shown to decrease protein breakdown during ultra-distance competition, decrease exercise induced muscle damage after prolonged running, and improve 40K cycling times.

As far as keeping size, I don't know; i just try to keep my calories in a surplus of my activities, and get an adequate amount of protein. I keep my strength training pretty heavy, and 4-5 hours apart from endurance training. I probably do more sprints/intervals than long steady distance, and will do a long distance run/ride once a week.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
For me being a powerlifter, all i do when it comes time to drop weight is walk on the treadmill for 15-30 on an incline. You can take your phone and play candy crush, watch espn, do whatever to keep yourself entertained. I also find when you do that, you don't focus on how hard that walking the incline can be.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I second that walking post. Honestly diet should be the biggest factor in weight lost, and mild walks are just in for extra benefit and keeping the cardiovascular system up.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Yea I second that, when I cut down, I almost eliminate carbs completely and I shred weight. I end up gaining most back, but just walking and eating right are insanely beneficial.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
That and when cutting you are already in a catabolic state with dieting so pushing heavy cardio doesn't make sense to me personally, as I want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
That and when cutting you are already in a catabolic state with dieting so pushing heavy cardio doesn't make sense to me personally, as I want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.
Yea that is true. I don't want to lose my strength before my meet, so just walking is my best option.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't compete but I could imagine holding all the strength you can is important. I do plan on competing when I get my body composition better.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Sprints in the back yard or on any grass field does best for me. Burn the fat keep the muscle

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I got to 4% body fat by doing 2-3 fasted morning walks per week and then Hiit 4-5 times a week after weight training. The Hiit session look like this.

Treadmill: 6 incline, 30 second sprint/ 30 second off (by the time I adjusted speeds i got like 10 seconds of walking).
Recovery speed 6 km/h

Sprint speed:
Mins 1-5: 11km/h
Mins 6-10: 12 km/h
Mins 11-15: 13 km/h
Mins 16-20 14 km/h
Mins 21-26 15 km/h (20 sec sprint - I only did this every second session)

Stick with it and eat right and you will lean up very quickly.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
This thread can be summed up to. Diet>
You can do HIIT, walking, swimming, etc., but if your diet isn't on point you won't be getting anywhere. Properly dieting and weight lifting can get most to at least 10%bf with ease.

jaces

jaces

Awards
This thread can be summed up to. Diet>
You can do HIIT, walking, swimming, etc., but if your diet isn't on point you won't be getting anywhere. Properly dieting and weight lifting can get most to at least 10%bf with ease.
Agree with honest abe good diet and weights will get you to 10% bf

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Much debate over HIIT and low intensity cardio
No, there's not. The EPOC and GLUT-4 expression are much higher with HIIT than with LISS. That alone makes HIIT the superior option for fat loss.

jaces

jaces

Awards
No, there's not. The EPOC and GLUT-4 expression are much higher with HIIT than with LISS. That alone makes HIIT the superior option for fat loss.
High intensity also uses more glycogen than fat for fuel so still up for debate

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
How does HIIT effect lean body tissue? Recovery rate? Maintaining muscle mass?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
High intensity also uses more glycogen than fat for fuel so still up for debate
Also burns far more calories than LISS both in the short term and the long term. The percentage of fat used for substrate is lower, but the actual amount of fat will be higher. How is using glycogen a bad thing?
How does HIIT effect lean body tissue? Recovery rate? Maintaining muscle mass?
Same as with any form of activity. It's often more convenient because it takes less time and increase your work capacity much more than LISS.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Its not a bad thing , but for fat loss and muscle mass retention it is not optimal, I still think it is down to opinion until more independent studies have been done

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its not a bad thing , but for fat loss and muscle mass retention it is not optimal, I still think it is down to opinion until more independent studies have been done
You do realize that HIIT cardio is the exact same thing as lifting, right? Using glycogen as a partial substrate is only going to force the body to further replenish its store, which improves insulin sensitivity and GLUT-4 activity. Look at the body composition of those whose activity is primarily short burst, HIIT-like sprints (e.g. sprinters, running backs); see any muscle mass retention issues with them?

jaces

jaces

Awards
You do realize that HIIT cardio is the exact same thing as lifting, right? Using glycogen as a partial substrate is only going to force the body to further replenish its store, which improves insulin sensitivity and GLUT-4 activity. Look at the body composition of those whose activity is primarily short burst, HIIT-like sprints (e.g. sprinters, running backs); see any muscle mass retention issues with them?
Yes but go look at rugby players ,, and just think of this , muscle can be broken down into glycogen for fuel ,,

jaces

jaces

Awards
And you cant compare a marathon runner to a sprinter , the marathon runner doesnt need a lot of muscle for power/speed so this is irrelevant

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...bro science?
HIIT by definition is anything that varies up intensity during a bout of training. Sound just like lifting, right? Period of activity followed by a period of rest.
And you cant compare a marathon runner to a sprinter , the marathon runner doesnt need a lot of muscle for power/speed so this is irrelevant
Where did I say anything about a marathon runner?
Yes but go look at rugby players ,, and just think of this , muscle can be broken down into glycogen for fuel ,,
No, muscle cannot be broken down into glycogen. It can be broken down into glucose, but so can any substrate. Also, how long is a game of Rugby compared to a HIIT session? Exactly.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I'm not so informative on HIIT, did it before but quit as I found it wasn't for me. Curious thing, it actually can increase muscle mass?

jaces

jaces

Awards
HIT cardio is sort of the same as lifting but lifting has rest periods were HIT cardio has active rest so they are sort of the same but still different ,,, ok so the body is going to brakedown muscle to use as fuel in the process known as glycolysis

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HIT cardio is sort of the same as lifting but lifting as rest periods were HIT cardio has active rest so they are sort of the same but still different ,,, ok so the body is going to brakedown muscle to use as fuel in the process known as glycolysis
Varying waves of intensity...the exact same thing. No, that's not what glycolysis is. What you're referring to is neoglucogensis. Glycolysis is breaking down of glycogen to glucose.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Varying waves of intensity...the exact same thing. No, that's not what glycolysis is. What you're referring to is glycogenolysis. Glycolysis is breaking down of glycogen to glucose.
Glycolysis in my book of physiology is stated as the breakdown of glucose or glycogen into ATP or lactic acid