Getting lean

ThatNewKid

ThatNewKid

Awards
So, I've gotten to the point where I've gained a lot of muscle mass. Now, I want to lose the fat so I can show off said muscle!
I was thinking that I'd reduce the amount of weight lifting I do and focus on cardio mostly. I will still lift weights so that I can maintain the muscle I have, but I'm gonna do cardio to burn the fat.
I am also going to start a moderately strict diet. But I don't know where to begin. I'm 17, 5'11" 210 pounds. My body fat is around 20-23% I believe. I don't know. If you want a picture, just comment and let me know.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

tylershields

tylershields

Awards
Try holding off on the cardio for a while. Same if your thinking about using stimulants and cutting supplements. If your at 20% BF then there's a lot of progress to be made by just getting your diet in check. Find out your daily caloric expenditure and aim for 200cals less and see where it gets you. If your not dropping BF after the first week lower your calories some more. The goal is to eat as much as possible while still losing fat. As you start to plateau introduce your cardio sessions. For now just kill it with the weights and make sure your in a caloric deficit. A lot of metabolic lifts that create high intensity have always done wonders for me. Strict clean n press is my favorite. Your young and will learn a lot. READ and understand what works for you most importantly.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Try holding off on the cardio for a while. Same if your thinking about using stimulants and cutting supplements. If your at 20% BF then there's a lot of progress to be made by just getting your diet in check. Find out your daily caloric expenditure and aim for 200cals less and see where it gets you. If your not dropping BF after the first week lower your calories some more. The goal is to eat as much as possible while still losing fat. As you start to plateau introduce your cardio sessions. For now just kill it with the weights and make sure your in a caloric deficit. A lot of metabolic lifts that create high intensity have always done wonders for me. Strict clean n press is my favorite. Your young and will learn a lot. READ and understand what works for you most importantly.
Give this man a cookie (or some reps of it doesn't fit his macros)

ThatNewKid

ThatNewKid

Awards
Alright, thank you.
But as I said, I'm not sure exactly what my body fat percentage is. I'll post a picture this afternoon.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ThatNewKid

ThatNewKid

Awards
Alright. I think I look to be about 20-25%. I'll still post a picture so that someone more experienced can confirm or deny that.
Can anyone offer me some dieting advice? Like, how much (carbs, protein, fats) do I eat? Types of diets to try. Etcetera.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Alright. I think I look to be about 20-25%. I'll still post a picture so that someone more experienced can confirm or deny that.
Can anyone offer me some dieting advice? Like, how much (carbs, protein, fats) do I eat? Types of diets to try. Etcetera.
Try to start at a 500 calorie per day deficit. At 210 lbs right now, your maintenance calories are probably around 3100, so aim for about 2600 cals per day.

Get your 1g per pound of bodyweight in protein, then get the rest from carbs and fats.

I would do higher carbs on training days and lower carbs on off days to start out. Maybe 250g on training days and 150g on off days. Hard to give an exact number. You gotta play around with it and see what works.

Stick to mostly starches like rice and potatoes with a few pieces of fruit thrown in.

Use something like My Fitness Pal to track your numbers if that makes it easier.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
As others have said, don't cut down on the weight training! Lifting heavy not only builds muscle, but keeps it there and keeps you burning calories. Lift for the muscle, diet and cardio for the fat