Extreme low carb and depression. - AnabolicMinds.com

Extreme low carb and depression.

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Extreme low carb and depression.

I have been suffering from depression as of late and I think it is due to the extreme low carb dieting.My son was born 8 weeks ago and for whatever reason I started feeling a little anxiety,when that happens I have no appetite at all and have to force feed myself.For the past couple of weeks I would basically eat 0 carbs for days at a time.Could the lack of carbs be causing my depression..

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Answers

I think so. Extreme low carbs does diffrent things to diffrent people. I'd get pissed off a lot when I did real low carbs.

3. Board Supporter
    Answers

I must be the odd duck.

I feel absolutely amazing when I am on low/zero carbs. Granted, I can only go for so long before I need a refeed but I don't find anything terribly painful about no carbing it.

In fact, once I get the carbs out of my system.. I find myself having less and less cravings or the need to cheat with little extras here and there until I get to my cheat day.

Best of luck to you MadMan. Hope all is well soon!

•   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Low calories for long periods of time (3-4 weeks) do it to me.

5. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    I have been suffering from depression as of late and I think it is due to the extreme low carb dieting.My son was born 8 weeks ago and for whatever reason I started feeling a little anxiety,when that happens I have no appetite at all and have to force feed myself.For the past couple of weeks I would basically eat 0 carbs for days at a time.Could the lack of carbs be causing my depression..
    Absolutely. your brain needs oxygen and crculating blood glucose to function optimally. It cannot use fat or keytone bodies. If you're not eating carbs, you eventually deprive your brain and nervous system of what it needs to function optimally. Carbs also play a role in releasing seratonin witch is the reward hormone. when we give our body what it needs to survive, the brain responds by sending out hormonal signals that make us feel good. Not a bad survival mechanism. Eat some carbs. Hope you feel better. I know how much time and attention the little ones take.

6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    Absolutely. your brain needs oxygen and crculating blood glucose to function optimally. It cannot use fat or keytone bodies. If you're not eating carbs, you eventually deprive your brain and nervous system of what it needs to function optimally. Carbs also play a role in releasing seratonin witch is the reward hormone. when we give our body what it needs to survive, the brain responds by sending out hormonal signals that make us feel good. Not a bad survival mechanism. Eat some carbs. Hope you feel better. I know how much time and attention the little ones take.

Thanks Lean one good info and thanks all for responding..

7. Board Supporter
    Answers

I believe that insulin and seratonin are directly correlated. I did a zero carb diet for 2 years strait and yes I was cranky most of the time lost 116 pounds though

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM
  2. Chicken Nuggets, low carb and better than wendy's
    By Socrates44 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 01:42 AM
  3. Low Carb and liver health
    By jon671 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 10:11 PM