Should I add refeeds?

R

rangestormer

Awards
I have been cutting fat since the beginning of April. I started at 158 lbs (height is only 5'5), and I am currently 147. I train 6 days per week - 3/4 weigth lifting sessions, 2/3 boxing/cardio. BF is at 11-12%.
Cals are at 1960 this week, maintenance is around 2400. Cals might seem a bit low, but the scale does not show progress when I go over 2000 calories. I shoot for at least 1g protein per pound, 0,45 fats.

So I am wondering if I should start adding refeed days at this point? If yes, how often and how much cals should I shoot for - 2400 or more?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been cutting fat since the beginning of April. I started at 158 lbs (height is only 5'5), and I am currently 147. I train 6 days per week - 3/4 weigth lifting sessions, 2/3 boxing/cardio. BF is at 11-12%.
Cals are at 1960 this week, maintenance is around 2400. Cals might seem a bit low, but the scale does not show progress when I go over 2000 calories. I shoot for at least 1g protein per pound, 0,45 fats.

So I am wondering if I should start adding refeed days at this point? If yes, how often and how much cals should I shoot for - 2400 or more?
I would say yes it's time to add in refeeds.

Start with one a week so you're slightly above maintenance and keep it as clean as possible.

High carb low fat. No need to put protein in that meal IMO.

See how this works and don't worry so much about getting it around you're training. Just pick a day and stick with it. If weight holds street a couple weeks then reduce the amount on this refeed and add in a second. So if refeed one is 500 cals and no progress then add in refeed two and make both about 350

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I'd say above maintenance. My maintenance cals are 2,400-2,500 and I'm 5'5" as well. My one day a week refeed is 2,800 cals, 40gF, 160P, and the rest carbs. Usually around 450-500g.

I notice looking much drier if I space it out too, I usually have two poptarts pre wo, then normal foods afterwards, pasta, rice, protein waffles, etc. And I'll treat myself with low fat or fat free ice cream too. When I did it IF style and ate 500g in 7 hours i'd wake up holding a **** load of water and face bloated too. Since I spreaded my meals out and cut out IF, I've had less water retention.

I usually start refeeds week 1 of dieting, but to each their own

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I would say go ahead and try it out. When I was on a cut, I really didn't see any results by doing it but I was 19% bf so re feeds really aren't necessary at a higher bf due to having a higher leptin levels. You're pretty low at ~11%. Give er a whirl.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
What I do for my refeed day is I double my calories that i am taking in on my cut. Start this right away when I wake up. Have a hell of a good breakfast, than I go to the gym to train my lagging body parts. Than since its hard for me to get in enough whole foods, I have 2 Mass Gainz shakes after my workout. 1st immediately after, the next 1 hr after. Liquid calories are always easier to get in.
The following day I go right back to where I was. I spike up about 10lbs for 2 days and right back down to where I was before hand and at the end of the week my body comp looks much better. I use pictures instead of the scale.

JackBox

JackBox

Awards
refeeds changed my world dude. I added one "cheat night" (usually saturdays) and have seen great results. I was worried at first that this would hinder my fat loss, but actually since implementing one (sometimes two depending on training) refeeds a week, I've cut fat and mass has continued to inc steadily. plus, knowing that there's one meal or day that you can eat to your content keeps you a little bit more sane during the times when you can't eat what you want.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
When I diet, I kinda get crazy mean with it. I have to convince myself I need the refeed. I get so afraid I will either lose progress or not be able to control the mayhem. With the right discipline, a refeed is a must for all parts of anabolism for me.

kkiniaus

kkiniaus

Awards

Start with cleaner options so you can track the reaction of the reefed more accurately, which can also help to eliminate the possibility of any intolerances (that could possibly be hindering progress).
Each week depending on progress increase or decrease carbs as montego said. The leaner you get the more you may need, to the point more than 1 refeed per week is needed if all goes well. (I mostly track the high carb, keep the fat as low as possible and not really concerned with protein on refeeds).