Intermittent Fasting and Women!

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so this post is intended for input from men and women, however as a female I wanted the advice geared towards that aspect :) since we run differently in all aspects of being.

That being said, I recently stumbled upon intermittent fasting posts and have stalled in my goals and wanted to try something new. Now, I have to openly admit I made the '1200 calorie' mistake that occurs all too often. Ive been eating 1200 calories a day for a few weeks now. I did eat back my exercise calories...but some days I still didn't hit 1200 calories. After recent calculations I found that I was eating below my BMR which is not good....ever.

So after researching IF, I did some math and came up with the following numbers (roughly):

BMR: 1211
TDEE: 1719

Training day calories: 2044 (20% + TDEE)
Rest day calories: 1356 (20% - TDEE)

now I figured out macros and such, but here's the kicker, I respond really well to a low carb diet. I get the dreaded cellulite when I eat too many starches, even the good ones. Rice, pasta, sweet potatoes...all of those. I do better getting carbs from veggies and can consume 2 cups of broccoli each meal no problem.

What are all your thoughts on these numbers, what I was doing, what I plan to do now? I workout 3-5 times a week, lift and cardio. On average I'm at the gym 2 hours total.

Oh, body stats:

32 y/o Female. 5'1, 123lbs. I got down to 120 a week or so ago, but might be retaining water at the moment. I try to drink a gallon a day and if I don't my body holds on to it. I will attach a recent picture if it helps with advice and such. If you need more info from me, just ask! I tried to pack a lot into this post in a short time, and I'm eating so I'm distracted.

photo 7.JPG

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No female here, looks perfect though. I've been doing IF for over three years now and don't plan on ever stopping. Not only has it helped me to reach my physical goals, the mental benefits for me are incredible. The first couple days can be tough but you adapt very quickly. I get sick now when I eat before noon. I would recommend grabbing a couple boxes of sugar free jello to help you through the first few days. The few calories from collagen are negligible and will not break your fast.

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
No female here, looks perfect though. I've been doing IF for over three years now and don't plan on ever stopping. Not only has it helped me to reach my physical goals, the mental benefits for me are incredible. The first couple days can be tough but you adapt very quickly. I get sick now when I eat before noon. I would recommend grabbing a couple boxes of sugar free jello to help you through the first few days. The few calories from collagen are negligible and will not break your fast.
Great first feedback! Love the idea of the sugar free jello as well! Thanks so much! Glad to know I was on the right track!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great first feedback! Love the idea of the sugar free jello as well! Thanks so much! Glad to know I was on the right track!
No problem. I'd assume you've been on leangains.com but if not stop by and check it out. Probably the best beginners resource for IF

bboyflash

Awards
+20/-20 recomp
+10/-30 fatloss
+30/-10 slow bulk

all are based on training 3x a week

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
No problem. I'd assume you've been on leangains.com but if not stop by and check it out. Probably the best beginners resource for IF
That's exactly where I pulled the numbers from. Glad to know I was in the right spot!

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else with feed back? Any ladies doing IF?

onebabooze808

Banned
Awards
I do IF evry once in awile and honestly it feels gud sumtimes and other times regular eating feels better. I guess u just gotta lissen 2 ur body? Also i no more da link butt i read dis article about IF affecting females negatively....

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had great cutting results doing IF last year. However, I found that I grow better during cuts when I eat throughout the day.

With your lifting limitations it may help to keep you lean if that's your overall goal.

Your body comp looks good to me, and if you're looking to gain size, especially with your high volume training, I'd personally recommend pre-workout carbs. Maybe even trying some Intra workout.

I don't personally know any woman that has tried it, and the women competitors I know won't touch fasted lifting at all.

Calories and such looks good. Good job doing the research on it. I agree with the poster a few up: checkout leangains.com
Martin may have a section dedicated to woman, or maybe even woman clients in there sharing their experience.