Weight Loss/ Lean Muscle Diet input

Zephyr

Awards
Hey everyone,

I would love some opinions on the diet I've been trying to follow recently. Basically trying to copy what I did last summer, but really keeping track of all my calories and macros. Little history, basically last summer I didn't keep count of calories, just made sure to eat clean and in good portions. I basically ate nothing but salad wraps, sandwiches w/wheat bread, brown rice, diced chicken, and the occasional cheat meal (pasta, chik fil a, etc)....it was awful but I lost about 10 pounds in 3 months, and gained a ridiculous amount of muscle mass. If i had to estimate calories, I'd say around 1600-1900 a day.

This time around, I'm really attempting to keep track of everything. According to the Myfitnesspal app, and putting my settings at lightly active (desk work usually about 9-13 hour days, but workout 3-5 times a week), ~165 lbs, 6ft tall, the app says I should be consuming about 1530 calories a day, which seems real low but is what I've been following. I'm just wondering if that seems like too small of a deficit?

My total intake during the work weeks have almost always remained at or under 1500 calories, so I'm doing it, but it is definitely tough. Also, due to the nature of my work (investment banking sucks your soul away), I just don't really have time to cook my own meals so I've been resorting to frozen and refrigerated foods from Trader Joe's (all with very respectable nutritional profiles, minus the sodium usually). If you want, I can lay out last weeks meal plan in total if it will help, as I've recorded every meal on the app.

Additionally, a change in this summer is my alcohol intake. I'm living at my school, as opposed to halfway across the country like last year, and as such, I typically go out and drink 3 times a week. Each outing, I'll have anywhere from 4-12 drinks or more, and I know those empty calories add up. So any input on this would be super awesome, as I don't want to just stop being social. As a result, my weekends have not been too good. Drunk me thinks its okay to throw down a burger, pizza, or burrito, even though diet me wants to slap him in the face haha. Also not eating before drinking is an option I guess, but usually results in an even worse morning following the debauchery, and thus either late night snacks or grease filled hangover food. I know easy answer is to stop drinking, or lower alcohol intake, but that's easier said than done lol.

Having said that, I'm extremely dedicated to my diet and workout schedule, so if you think anything needs to absolutely change, I will follow instructions. I'm also taking a stack of DCP 2.0/Alphamax/creatine (con cret)/protein/multis/fish oil and will throw in some extra forskolin when it's available.

Thanks so much and I'm sorry if that was too long, or I rambled on. I can break down anything if necessary.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Calories seem really low, are you doing cardio as well?

As for the drinking that could easily be 1000+ cals, and alcohol in general isn't really helpful to your physique or health. I would limit yourself, if you prioritize your health. It is more than possible to have a good time sober.

Zephyr

Awards
I've been marginally increasing my pre-workout run, but usually just around a mile, and try to get in at least a 3-5 mile run once or twice a week.

My worry is that with weight lifting 3 or 4 times a week, and running at least 2, I'll be destroying my muscles in addition to my excess fat.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've been marginally increasing my pre-workout run, but usually just around a mile, and try to get in at least a 3-5 mile run once or twice a week. My worry is that with weight lifting 3 or 4 times a week, and running at least 2, I'll be destroying my muscles in addition to my excess fat.
At those calories, no doubt.

IMO if you drop the weekend bad habits you will free up lots of room for calories through the week where you are working out and putting them to better use. Add some peri-workout carbs in slowly and it will likely surprise you that you will lose weight easier as you fix your metabolism.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I weigh less than you and cut with more calories than that.

Your diet needs some fixing before you will see progress.

Once you fix it you can consider supplements to help with the tougher final pounds, something like this
http://www.orbitnutrition.com/cart/pes-norcodrene-90-capsules.html

When I quit drinking I would use a stimmed product before heading out with my friends, for a different kind of buzz. Appetite suppression kept me faithful to my diet as well.

Zephyr

Awards
I weigh less than you and cut with more calories than that. Your diet needs some fixing before you will see progress.Once you fix it you can consider supplements to help with the tougher final pounds, something like thishttp://www.orbitnutrition.com/cart/pes-norcodrene-90-capsules.htmlWhen I quit drinking I would use a stimmed product before heading out with my friends, for a different kind of buzz. Appetite suppression kept me faithful to my diet as well.
Appreciate the help boss, the calories def seemed a bit odd. I was basing it off of the Myfitnesspal calculator, and a few others online, ending up usually at around 2100 or so maintenance calories. So going at a deficit of 600 calories under maintenance would put me around the area they've been saying. In regards to parting, unfortunately quitting drinking isn't an option haha, but cutting down on the total amount I can absolutely do. I didn't drink for 3 months last summer, and saw great results, but it's just not feasible in my current situation.

Zephyr

Awards
My usual daily routine is a cup of oatmeal for breakfast, cup of coffee to hold me over till lunch, <600 calorie lunch (usually a sandwich or wrap), another coffee, protein bar, gym, then roughly a <800 calorie dinner. Lots of protein in my diet also, I'm typically passing my macro limit in protein by almost 100g (but it's only recommending 71g)

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think you need to reduce your deficit. why go strait to 600 c deficit when you can likely lose fat at a smaller one. like 300 calories. at 6 feet tall you just cant convince me that you should be eating 1500 calories.. that's like a womans diet size intake. go to 1900 calories.
im sorry but I must be frank with your drinking. there is just no way you are ever going to reach your goals behaving that way. I don't care that youre binge drinking on the weekends. but in one sentence you say your dedicated to your diet and goals, but then follow up with a statement that you can not quit drinking?? WTF man. why come here and waste our time with your novel size post only to scoff at good advice.
bottom line, you cant get blasted and over eat on the weekends and expect to get ripped.

Zephyr

Awards
I think you need to reduce your deficit. why go strait to 600 c deficit when you can likely lose fat at a smaller one. like 300 calories. at 6 feet tall you just cant convince me that you should be eating 1500 calories.. that's like a womans diet size intake. go to 1900 calories.
im sorry but I must be frank with your drinking. there is just no way you are ever going to reach your goals behaving that way. I don't care that youre binge drinking on the weekends. but in one sentence you say your dedicated to your diet and goals, but then follow up with a statement that you can not quit drinking?? WTF man. why come here and waste our time with your novel size post only to scoff at good advice.
bottom line, you cant get blasted and over eat on the weekends and expect to get ripped.
Didn't mean at all to sound ignorant or contradict my statement on goals and diet, I really appreciate all the advice I can get on here. I simply meant that at a point where I'm just finishing up uni and likely won't be able have the same opportunities with partying as I do now, avoiding drinking just seems too drastic.

I understand that the extra calories and binge eating on weekends will 100% be detrimental to my goals, but I can train myself to not binge on the weekends, and in terms of alcohol, I think I can keep my calories at a deficit if I really try to. I want to make progress this summer, and I know I won't get absolutely shredded or as strong as I did last summer avoiding alcohol for 3 months, but I want to do the best I can with the lifestyle I have. So, sorry if I came off as a prick, it wasn't my intention at all; just looking for advice on incorporating diet, working out, and fun in a routine!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I just posted this in a another body fat question. (This is why people should start using the search. Same question different person).

Here is the steps that I use for myself and my clients.

1. Diet! For simplicity sake, find your TDEE (Google). Start there.
2. Training with weight before you even think about cardio. If you choose to do LISS, take some BCAA's and do it fasted in the morning.
3. HIIT Training after weight training. 15-20 min. Go hard, dont let it get easy.
4. Repeat 1-3 until you are sitting close to 10% or less. Some will drop quick, and you can skip step 5 all together.
5. Now is when you add Supps. My favorites are Dexaprin+TT-33+Alphamine. Just recently started using that myself.

Only take the supps when you NEED to. They are not something to start you out or something to bring you back to where you "want" to be. They are an assistant to what you are already doing great at and thats diet and training.

kkiniaus

kkiniaus

Awards
Hey everyone,

I would love some opinions on the diet I've been trying to follow recently. Basically trying to copy what I did last summer, but really keeping track of all my calories and macros. Little history, basically last summer I didn't keep count of calories, just made sure to eat clean and in good portions. I basically ate nothing but salad wraps, sandwiches w/wheat bread, brown rice, diced chicken, and the occasional cheat meal (pasta, chik fil a, etc)....it was awful but I lost about 10 pounds in 3 months, and gained a ridiculous amount of muscle mass. If i had to estimate calories, I'd say around 1600-1900 a day.

This time around, I'm really attempting to keep track of everything. According to the Myfitnesspal app, and putting my settings at lightly active (desk work usually about 9-13 hour days, but workout 3-5 times a week), ~165 lbs, 6ft tall, the app says I should be consuming about 1530 calories a day, which seems real low but is what I've been following. I'm just wondering if that seems like too small of a deficit?

My total intake during the work weeks have almost always remained at or under 1500 calories, so I'm doing it, but it is definitely tough. Also, due to the nature of my work (investment banking sucks your soul away), I just don't really have time to cook my own meals so I've been resorting to frozen and refrigerated foods from Trader Joe's (all with very respectable nutritional profiles, minus the sodium usually). If you want, I can lay out last weeks meal plan in total if it will help, as I've recorded every meal on the app.

Additionally, a change in this summer is my alcohol intake. I'm living at my school, as opposed to halfway across the country like last year, and as such, I typically go out and drink 3 times a week. Each outing, I'll have anywhere from 4-12 drinks or more, and I know those empty calories add up. So any input on this would be super awesome, as I don't want to just stop being social. As a result, my weekends have not been too good. Drunk me thinks its okay to throw down a burger, pizza, or burrito, even though diet me wants to slap him in the face haha. Also not eating before drinking is an option I guess, but usually results in an even worse morning following the debauchery, and thus either late night snacks or grease filled hangover food. I know easy answer is to stop drinking, or lower alcohol intake, but that's easier said than done lol.

Having said that, I'm extremely dedicated to my diet and workout schedule, so if you think anything needs to absolutely change, I will follow instructions. I'm also taking a stack of DCP 2.0/Alphamax/creatine (con cret)/protein/multis/fish oil and will throw in some extra forskolin when it's available.

Thanks so much and I'm sorry if that was too long, or I rambled on. I can break down anything if necessary.
I agree with driventolift...calories may be too low too quickly...even if you want to see results quickly remember anything you do drastically you basically need to keep doing to maintain (unless you then reverse diet back). Putting carbs around training (instead of when out from alcohol) will be extremely beneficial! I know it can be tough not to drink and you feel unsocial but im sure you can have at least with less if not completely dropping. Iv done weird tricks if im feeling bad about not drinking such as pretending my coke 0 has vodka or putting water in a beer bottle lol

David147

Awards
1. 20 minute walk ( NOT RUN ) everyday. walking or tread mill speed less then 3.0 possibly with incline will burn fat do not run. running will do cardio. you want weight loss.

2. park far as you can at work, grocery store, use manual door, useless elevator. ( this alone can shave off 5lbs in a year.

3.Drink water at least 8 cups a day. no more pop. diet soda is worst than regualr soda, aspertane is really really not good for you.

4. when you eat. do not watch tv, talk on the cell phone..etc.. focus waht you are doing, eat! enjoy the flavor. listen to your stomach. when it say i'm full stop

5. let the fork down while chowing!! slow down don't inhale food.

6. eat when you are hungry. do not starve your self. REMEMBER #4.

7. Always leave something on your plate. even if it's a bite.