Beginer needs help with her diet!

urbabs

Awards
I'm aged 20 around 150 pounds and 5'5 I really want to loose weight and tone up and I have a bit of a HIIT plan and due to my new job I will be doing a hell of a lot of walking which had been advised too, but I really need help with what I should be eating... I have been using my fitness pal to keep track of my calories and according to the information I've put into there it says I should be having 1200 calories a day to loose weight?

I have been told that I should be consuming around 150g-225g of protein...

Only drinking water and only eating green veg..

I don't drink milk and I don't eat fish, nuts or eggs and I was just wondering whether anyone could give me an idea of a sort of diet plan or perhaps some ideas for meals, maybe even some little recipes or alternatives to try and beat my sweet cravings?

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
I'm aged 20 around 150 pounds and 5'5 I really want to loose weight and tone up and I have a bit of a HIIT plan and due to my new job I will be doing a hell of a lot of walking which had been advised too, but I really need help with what I should be eating... I have been using my fitness pal to keep track of my calories and according to the information I've put into there it says I should be having 1200 calories a day to loose weight?

I have been told that I should be consuming around 150g-225g of protein...

I don't drink milk and I don't eat fish, nuts or eggs and I was just wondering whether anyone could give me an idea of a sort of diet plan or perhaps some ideas for meals, maybe even some little recipes or alternatives to try and beat my sweet cravings?
I'll just throw out random stuff as I am at work..

Yes 1200 seems right for you but it's just a rough estimate. You need to sit down and plan out your meals for the day. Eat those meals and then come to the scale in a week and say did I lose weight, stay the same, or gain weight and then adjust from there.

You only need as much protein as you weigh (again this is a rough estimate).

Usually people drop their carbs to 20% ish and then get the rest of the food in fat.

hiit is good for losing fat.

Fish, nuts, and eggs are great sources of protein, and good fats. You should rethink not eating them.

Get protein shakes to help get your protein number.

Start getting used to eating healthy and the sweet tooth starts to go away. Just keep in mind it's good to get off track for a meal or so (but DONT gorge)...

Moderation is key.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
1200kcals? What's your current bodyfat percentage (or post a pic)? 150lbs at 8% body fat and you should be eating 2000kcals, if it's 20% bf then yes 1200 may be a good number.

Always start at the higher end and lower cals, you don't want to start that low. When weight loss stalls, you'll have to eat 1000kcals, then 800kcals...

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
And do you lift? Lifting is MUUUUCH more important than cardio. You can get in great shape just lifting, but not the other way around.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
1200kcals? What's your current bodyfat percentage (or post a pic)? 150lbs at 8% body fat and you should be eating 2000kcals, if it's 20% bf then yes 1200 may be a good number.

Always start at the higher end and lower cals, you don't want to start that low. When weight loss stalls, you'll have to eat 1000kcals, then 800kcals...
For some reason I thought OP was a girl.

Sorry OP. If your a guy, you need to eat more.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
For some reason I thought OP was a girl.

Sorry OP. If your a guy, you need to eat more.
I thought the same thing when I read 1200kcals... but he/she doesn't specify, and since 95% of the forum is guys, it's a safe assumption

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
I thought the same thing when I read 1200kcals... but he/she doesn't specify, and since 95% of the forum is guys, it's a safe assumption
True that. I'm still tired and just getting through the day.. Need more coffee lol

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
Oh that's where I read it, in the title.

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
If you have a sweet tooth, Greek yogurt is right up your ally. Just get unflavored Greek yogurt and add a little stevia to it. It's an easy way to get 20 some grams of protein and calm your sweet cravings without wreaking your diet. Sometimes I add it to my protein shake too, it's rather tasty!

urbabs

Awards
I am a girl! :) sorry I didn't make it clear enough! Thankyou for all the advice! I'm going to have to sit down and try and work it all out! I think investing in some electric scales would be a good idea? So that I can keep track!

The Greek yog is a good idea though thankyou, I know as soon as I start trying to make the effort to eat more healthily fatty foods and sweet things start to repulse me which isn't a bad thing! It's just getting over than initial hump I think.

Iv attached a photo so you could help with giving me an estimate on my bf% as well and potentially give me ideas on preferred training regimes. Thank you:)

image-3936649538.jpg

urbabs

Awards
I'll just throw out random stuff as I am at work.. Yes 1200 seems right for you but it's just a rough estimate. You need to sit down and plan out your meals for the day. Eat those meals and then come to the scale in a week and say did I lose weight, stay the same, or gain weight and then adjust from there. You only need as much protein as you weigh (again this is a rough estimate). Usually people drop their carbs to 20% ish and then get the rest of the food in fat. hiit is good for losing fat. Fish, nuts, and eggs are great sources of protein, and good fats. You should rethink not eating them. Get protein shakes to help get your protein number. Start getting used to eating healthy and the sweet tooth starts to go away. Just keep in mind it's good to get off track for a meal or so (but DONT gorge)... Moderation is key.
For just a bit off random stuff this is really decent information thankyou. As far the the cutting my carbs down to 20% what would you suggest should be my macros percentage? 40,40,20?

As for the fish, egg and nuts it's purely because I don't like these foods aha! Are there any supplements that I could take or alternatives?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
And OP this is probably quite off since I have very little experience guesstimating female bf%, but I'd say you're at something like 27%. A good goal would be 19% or so, which translates to about 15lbs of fat loss, which in turn means about a 50,000kcal deficit. Split over the course of 12 weeks, this is about 600kcal deficit per day. I'd start out at around 1750kcals (but that's 1750, not oh I didn't track that ice cream and it's really 2500...). So 1750 for 2 weeks, then 1650 for 2 weeks, etc. repeat until you hit 12 weeks. That's a very rough layout.

As for lifting, you should lift just like any guy. Three times a week 6 sets of deadlifts, 6 sets of squats, 6 sets of lunges, 4 sets of bench and 4 sets of lat pulldowns. Do cardio if you want but you don't have to.

ALWAYS track your food consumption.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
II should be consuming around 150g-225g of protein...
Yep.
To be clear... are we talking vegetarian? Or that that aside from meat, the only vegetables you eat are green? That ought to help a bit with the recipes part.
I don't drink milk and I don't eat fish, nuts or eggs
You'll be fine without them, easy enough.
sweet cravings?
Honestly, any low carb protein powder is generally fine in chocolate. Nothing wrong with a diet soda, either. Sugarfree gum... also helpful for giving your mouth something to do when eating less... psychological aid.
I help with giving me an estimate on my bf%
~35%

urbabs

Awards
Yep. To be clear... are we talking vegetarian? Or that that aside from meat, the only vegetables you eat are green? That ought to help a bit with the recipes part. You'll be fine without them, easy enough. Honestly, any low carb protein powder is generally fine in chocolate. Nothing wrong with a diet soda, either. Sugarfree gum... also helpful for giving your mouth something to do when eating less... psychological aid. ~35%

Thankyou this helps, I'm not vegetarian, I was told to avoid potatoes and carrots? Just to eat green vegetables? Would you agree with this?

urbabs

Awards
And OP this is probably quite off since I have very little experience guesstimating female bf%, but I'd say you're at something like 27%. A good goal would be 19% or so, which translates to about 15lbs of fat loss, which in turn means about a 50,000kcal deficit. Split over the course of 12 weeks, this is about 600kcal deficit per day. I'd start out at around 1750kcals (but that's 1750, not oh I didn't track that ice cream and it's really 2500...). So 1750 for 2 weeks, then 1650 for 2 weeks, etc. repeat until you hit 12 weeks. That's a very rough layout. As for lifting, you should lift just like any guy. Three times a week 6 sets of deadlifts, 6 sets of squats, 6 sets of lunges, 4 sets of bench and 4 sets of lat pulldowns. Do cardio if you want but you don't have to. ALWAYS track your food consumption.

Thankyou! Yes I will have to sort myself a diet plan, I am using my fitness pal but it's not very good as it gives you set goals and won't let you customise them! can you suggest any sort of fitness apps that will help me keep record of calories and macros?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
my fitness pal works great to record, just not to set goals. unless you change them manually. I just ignore it's recommended goals and use it to track only. you could change the kcal goal and that way you'd get the graphs of how you're doing over time etc., just don't trust it's built in goal calculator.

urbabs

Awards
my fitness pal works great to record, just not to set goals. unless you change them manually. I just ignore it's recommended goals and use it to track only. you could change the kcal goal and that way you'd get the graphs of how you're doing over time etc., just don't trust it's built in goal calculator.
Thankyou! I'll have to have another look at it and see if I can enter my calories manually!

urbabs

Awards
Thankyou I'll have to see if I can enter my calories manually! Is there anyway to change the nutrition % to 40, 40, 20 rather than what it's at now?

wokko

wokko

Awards
That's the main app I use to calculate and count my calories also. Iv found that it doesn't always add the macros on curtain foods which is a ball ache although it's much better than using pen and paper haha I need to calculate how many calories I should be taking plus my macro % breakdown!

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
Thank you I'll have to see if I can enter my calories manually! Is there anyway to change the nutrition % to 40, 40, 20 rather than what it's at now?
Yah, you just go advanced and you can change it however you want.

urbabs

Awards
Yah, you just go advanced and you can change it however you want.
Thankyou managed to change it now would you say 40,40,20 is right? I remember someone mentioning 20% carbs and putting the rest into fat? Sorry this is a bit confusing to me haha!

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
Thankyou managed to change it now would you say 40,40,20 is right? I remember someone mentioning 20% carbs and putting the rest into fat? Sorry this is a bit confusing to me haha!
Yah that's what I do when I am cutting (if I even eat carbs). If you want to gain muscle, 40 protein 40 carbs 20 fat.. If you want to lose fat, 40 protein, 20 carbs, 40 fat.

Those are general numbers by the way.

urbabs

Awards
Yah that's what I do when I am cutting (if I even eat carbs). If you want to gain muscle, 40 protein 40 carbs 20 fat.. If you want to lose fat, 40 protein, 20 carbs, 40 fat. Those are general numbers by the way.
Thankyou very much! I'll get on it then! Haha!

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Here's what I recommend for macros:
1.2g of protein/lbs
40-50g of fat (make sure you get Omega 3s, saturated, etc. first)
Carbs to fil up the rest of the calories

Problem with % is if you're eating 1000kcals, that means only 100g of protein, far from optimal, and 45g of fat, which could be reduced to 35g to make room for the protein. 35g of fat is very little for the long term but is fine if it's only used for a month or two, especially if the important fats are in place (i.e. you're getting omega 3, saturated fats, ala, cholesterol, etc. and not just a bunch of poly or hydrogenated)

The more you cut calories the higher the protein needs to get...

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I was told to avoid potatoes and carrots? Just to eat green vegetables? Would you agree with this?
I wouldn't say "avoid" - potatoes can be a great source for energy. The standard american diet just includes tons of pasta and potatoes, which have tons of calories. Use them sparingly, small amounts, etc.
Tasty veggie choices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

As for recipes, heck, you can live on bags of frozen mixed vegetables stir-fried with diced chicken every day if you like. It sounds like you're being sent in a "paleo" direction, which is a good search term for recipes. Just stay away from paleo desserts - for the most part, they're just as bad for you as real junk food, but taste worse and cost three times as much.

I tend to live on grilled wings (thighs, legs, breasts, whatever) doused in hot sauce, chili, chicken soup, roast chickens, dry-rubbed beef ribs, sausage... steamed or baked veggies... simple enough to cut up broccoli and cauliflower, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, etc and pop it in the oven on a pan for 20 minutes. I make enormous amounts of food and live on leftovers.

Here's a bangin' thread full of recipes that'll keep you fed for weeks: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/chaos-pain/239740-stew-riods.html

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say "avoid" - potatoes can be a great source for energy. The standard american diet just includes tons of pasta and potatoes, which have tons of calories. Use them sparingly, small amounts, etc.
Tasty veggie choices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

As for recipes, heck, you can live on bags of frozen mixed vegetables stir-fried with diced chicken every day if you like. It sounds like you're being sent in a "paleo" direction, which is a good search term for recipes. Just stay away from paleo desserts - for the most part, they're just as bad for you as real junk food, but taste worse and cost three times as much.

I tend to live on grilled wings (thighs, legs, breasts, whatever) doused in hot sauce, chili, chicken soup, roast chickens, dry-rubbed beef ribs, sausage... steamed or baked veggies... simple enough to cut up broccoli and cauliflower, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, etc and pop it in the oven on a pan for 20 minutes. I make enormous amounts of food and live on leftovers.

Here's a bangin' thread full of recipes that'll keep you fed for weeks: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/chaos-pain/239740-stew-riods.html
Good stuff. IDK why anyone would avoid carrots: I love carrots. They're "high GI" but look at their actual glycemic load lol. And OP be careful with "paleo" and stuff like that. There's no shortage of "paleo" recopies that replace flour with coconut butter or whatever, doubling the calories and making it taste worse. Calories are your first priority, then protein/fat, then comes the rest waaaay down on the list.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry guys, she asked for "simple" advice in another thread and I got her started. I wasn't really saying to totally avoid carrots and potatoes, at least that wasn't my intention. My intention was that green veggies like spinach, broccoli, etc. can be eaten in large quantities. As much as you want. But don't do this with carrots and potatoes or corn, etc. I was trying to keep it simple.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, she asked for "simple" advice in another thread and I got her started. I wasn't really saying to totally avoid carrots and potatoes, at least that wasn't my intention. My intention was that green veggies like spinach, broccoli, etc. can be eaten in large quantities. As much as you want. But don't do this with carrots and potatoes or corn, etc. I was trying to keep it simple.
carrots aren't that calorie dense either. but igtcha

Dionsiouseve

Awards
Today is the day i begin eating to help my mitochondria and assist my physical body from the within out by assisting it acquire more powerful.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Today is the day i begin eating to help my mitochondria and assist my physical body from the within out by assisting it acquire more powerful.
The only way to acquire more powerful is to eat steadily larger animals.

[video=youtube;iNX4nLvIP0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNX4nLvIP0Q[/video]

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
The only way to acquire more powerful is to eat steadily larger animals.

[video=youtube;iNX4nLvIP0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNX4nLvIP0Q[/video]
You just cracked me up. Haha.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No corn at all! Potatoes r fine, maybe 10-15 grams of carbs from potato with a meal, lol...
;)

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
No corn at all! Potatoes r fine, maybe 10-15 grams of carbs from potato with a meal, lol...
;)
OP, Mags can probably help you the most. She really knows what she is doing. :)

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
;)
What's wrong with corn Mag? Why 10-15g? Is there any study showing the superiority of 10-15g of carbs from potatoes as opposed to 10-15g of carbs from corn?

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's wrong with corn Mag? Why 10-15g? Is there any study showing the superiority of 10-15g of carbs from potatoes as opposed to 10-15g of carbs from corn?
Don't get me going on how I feel about corn, ha ha ha....
;)
There's nothing nutritious about it!
Potatoes n yams r a good source of energy...
Corn is garbage!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I kind of agree with this - corn is the worse veggie you could eat. Solid starch. While I wouldn't say completely avoid potatoes, I also think they are starchy and I would avoid them. I don't really like potatoes though, so maybe I would just avoid them anyway :)

My original advice was that green veggies you can eat all you want of, they are very low calorie, low glycemic, and will fill you up. Spinach, Broccoli, even green beans - you would be hard pressed to gain weight on those veggies alone. Carrots, corn, potatoes....you could do it. Of course, they can be part of a healthy diet, but I was trying to keep it simple, not say avoid anything all together, just fill up on the other stuff that is a bit "safer".

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In the beginning of my body building journey, I simply ate coloured veggies with my first 3 meals and dark greens with my last 3 meals...
:)

urbabs

Awards
Thankyou for all the help guys, I've been trying hard this week, finding the whole 40,40,20 thing a little difficult.. It's coming out a little more like 33,33,33!! I was trying to avoid adding carbs to my meals as it was turning out that I was going over (by looking at my fitness pal) but I was getting hungry and snacking on fruit and these cracker breads which took the carbs over, from now on I'm going to try and add the carbs to my meals so I won't feel the need to snack.. Guess it's trial and error for a bit until you find what's right isn't it? I'm finding it difficult to get enough protein too.. I've purchased some fish oil tablets and multi vits too.. And on another note... Although I've been eating a lot healthier.. I seem to have broken out.. And usually my skins pretty good /: can you see something obvious that's making this happen or is it just my body adjusting? P

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me going on how I feel about corn, ha ha ha....
;)
There's nothing nutritious about it!
Potatoes n yams r a good source of energy...
Corn is garbage!
I was under the impression that corn contained carbs, and that carbs contained energy, and are considered a nutrient.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
My advice is to count your macros and FOCUS on eating micronutrient-dense foods, as well as appropriate amount of fiber and protein, but do not eliminate foods entirely.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In the beginning of my body building journey, I simply ate coloured veggies with my first 3 meals and dark greens with my last 3 meals...
:)
That works too! haha. I have recently realized that if it comes down to it, I am happy eating just chicken by itself, haha.

edit: added quote

urbabs

Awards
Okay.. Getting really confused...

My dilemma is that, through using anabolic minds I have been advised to start at 1750 cals for two weeks, if I don't notice a difference then to lower my cals by 100 every two weeks till I notice a difference!
Also, to go for 40% protein, which works out at 175g (using my fitness pal)
40% fat, which works out at 78g (using my fitness pal)
20% carbs, which works out at 88g (using my fitness pal)
Plus, lift like any guy would, which currently until I have purchased the weights I cannot do! So I have started a HIIT workout instead (which has also been advised)

So, in contrast, looking at 'aworkoutroutine's website.. Using the calculations that I have put in it says that I should be having between 25% and 30% fat! Continuing with this idea I have worked out that I should in fact be having:
1952 cals?
30% fat which is 65g of fat
30% protein which is 152g of protein
40% carbs which is 189g of carbs...
Which to me doesn't make sense as to me it seems I need less carbs to loose fat???

In February when I put my details into my fitness pal... It said that I should be consuming 1200 calories? Which to me doesn't seem enough... Since then I have only noticed a small difference and to be honest I think I've gone back to where I started..

Should I continue with what I'm doing for now?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thankyou for all the help guys, I've been trying hard this week, finding the whole 40,40,20 thing a little difficult.. It's coming out a little more like 33,33,33!! I was trying to avoid adding carbs to my meals as it was turning out that I was going over (by looking at my fitness pal) but I was getting hungry and snacking on fruit and these cracker breads which took the carbs over, from now on I'm going to try and add the carbs to my meals so I won't feel the need to snack.. Guess it's trial and error for a bit until you find what's right isn't it? I'm finding it difficult to get enough protein too.. I've purchased some fish oil tablets and multi vits too.. And on another note... Although I've been eating a lot healthier.. I seem to have broken out.. And usually my skins pretty good /: can you see something obvious that's making this happen or is it just my body adjusting? P

It could be lots of things - maybe just that it is hotter out this time of year and you are sweating a little bit more?

You seem to be doing fine. You just started learning about and watching your macros, as you do this more and more you will just start to know which foods to mix to fit what you need. It is a bit of a learning curve, and will be individual to you based on the foods you like and don't like, but it gets much easier and you will be hitting those macros before you know it. Just keep paying attention and adjusting.

You will also realize that the longer you go without the carbs, the less you crave them. Dropping them too much too fast can create those cravings you experienced so you did the right thing, add a little back in so you don't crave and give yourself some leeway. This isn't a race and does not have to be perfect all in one day. Give yourself a little wiggle room and tighten things up as you get more used to the diet. You are eating better today than you were yesterday, and when you look back in 6 months hopefully you will be eating much better then than you are now, but always leave yourself some room for movement.

edit : added quote