Paleo Diet For Weight Lifter

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Has anyone heard of the Paleo diet and if its good for weight lifters?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone heard of the Paleo diet and if its good for weight lifters?
What's your definition of a weightlifter?

I think it can fit a variety of goals and lifestyles but diets IMO are temporary to help one reach a certain goal. Pretty sure there's alot of info on it around but I'm at work and cannot fully answer

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only good thing about Paleo is the focus on eating whole foods. There is no reason to exclude a whole food group (grains) unless you're *actually* gluten intolerant.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only good thing about Paleo is the focus on eating whole foods. There is no reason to exclude a whole food group (grains) unless you're *actually* gluten intolerant.
Grains and gluten are not synonymous. Removing gluten from the diet, however, is something everyone should do as it is inherently inflammatory to the GI.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Grains and gluten are not synonymous. Removing gluten from the diet, however, is something everyone should do as it is inherently inflammatory to the GI.
I didn't say they were but I can see how my post may be interpreted as such. Thanks for highlighting that point. My post was directed more towards the general population eliminating grains from their diets due to the misunderstanding that gluten is in all grains.

I haven't seen any concrete evidence that gluten is inflammatory to the gi tract of non intolerant individuals. Up to this point it seems as more or less a possibility unless I missed a new study. Truthfully, I haven't looked a whole lot recently, gluten free advertising and the effect it's had on people has annoyed me to the point of not following anymore.

Water is now gluten free, yogurt is gluten free etc and everyone has ciliac's disease via self diagnosis. I've eliminated gluten and reintroduced it with no difference. I realize I don't account for the majority and I'm not saying I do. My opinion is that gluten is demonized due to the intolerance of a small few from what I've seen.

Anyways, thanks again for highlighting that point.

Back on track OP. My opinion stands I don't see Paleo as a beneficial diet. There is no need to eliminate whole foods groups from your diet unless you have intolerance issues from gluten, lactose etc

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't say they were but I can see how my post may be interpreted as such. Thanks for highlighting that point. My post was directed more towards the general population eliminating grains from their diets due to the misunderstanding that gluten is in all grains. I haven't seen any concrete evidence that gluten is inflammatory to the gi tract of non intolerant individuals. Up to this point it seems as more or less a possibility unless I missed a new study. Truthfully, I haven't looked a whole lot recently, gluten free advertising and the effect it's had on people has annoyed me to the point of not following anymore. Water is now gluten free, yogurt is gluten free etc and everyone has ciliac's disease via self diagnosis. I've eliminated gluten and reintroduced it with no difference. I realize I don't account for the majority and I'm not saying I do. My opinion is that gluten is demonized due to the intolerance of a small few from what I've seen. Anyways, thanks again for highlighting that point. Back on track OP. My opinion stands I don't see Paleo as a beneficial diet. There is no need to eliminate whole foods groups from your diet unless you have intolerance issues from gluten, lactose etc
PMID: 20514534

Paleo is a great diet, but it's been engulfed by marketing. Cordain and Wolff have done a wonderful job for several decades to highlight the pros of Paleo and how it can be implemented for different populations based upon their specific lifestyles. It's also nearly impossible not to drop a tremendous amount of fat on it since your insulin sensitivity will greatly increase. Not only that, but overall health markers will also improve particularly HDL and triglycerides.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The central problem with paleo is that the movement has been infiltrated by a scientifically illiterate, homeopathic pseudoscience fanatical group of individuals. If you look at most critiques of the paleo diet it is strawman after strawman. They attempt to "debunk" by addressing non-paleo issues or by misrepresenting the diet. Fro example you may read a critique which will try and show how avoiding milk and/or potatoes and/or rice and/or etc is counter productive for performance, growth, etc but the reality is most respected proponents of the paleo diet encourage these foods. Its only the extremists who try and associate paleo with low carb and go on and on about the evils of sugar and so forth or are adamantly opposed to it.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The central problem with paleo is that the movement has been infiltrated by a scientifically illiterate, homeopathic pseudoscience fanatical group of individuals. If you look at most critiques of the paleo diet it is strawman after strawman. They attempt to "debunk" by addressing non-paleo issues or by misrepresenting the diet. Fro example you may read a critique which will try and show how avoiding milk and/or potatoes and/or rice and/or etc is counter productive for performance, growth, etc but the reality is most respected proponents of the paleo diet encourage these foods. Its only the extremists who try and associate paleo with low carb and go on and on about the evils of sugar and so forth or are adamantly opposed to it.
Good post

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Thank you guys, I appreciate the input.

David147

Awards
Eat a lot of food, preferably from all macro-nutrients. Make sure to get adequate nutrition(include organs or supplement accordingly). Mix that with your training and your good to go.

jaces

jaces

Awards
most diets and training styles are represented wrong or taken to a all or nothing type situation. so i agree with this , for me a paleo diet means anything nature provides is fine

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most diets and training styles are represented wrong or taken to a all or nothing type situation. so i agree with this , for me a paleo diet means anything nature provides is fine
That's definitely a horrible representation of Paleo. Nature provides wheat yet that's as non-Paleo as it gets.

jaces

jaces

Awards
That's definitely a horrible representation of Paleo. Nature provides wheat yet that's as non-Paleo as it gets.
see you are the that extremest type persone that ****s it up for everybody

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
see you are the that extremest type persone that ****s it up for everybody
Or I've actually read the books written by Cordain. You know, the guy that established the principles.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Thanks for playing LOL! Kids these days.
a grown man disrespecting a woman? how do you find that funny, or do you like beat up children am kittens in your spare time?? just wrong man go and learn some respect for woman and your mother would be ashamed

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
a grown man disrespecting a woman? how do you find that funny, or do you like beat up children am kittens in your spare time?? just wrong man go and learn some respect for woman and your mother would be ashamed
You're a woman?!?

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
LMAO!! God you are fun to mess with.

am kittens?? Anabolicminds kittens???

jaces

jaces

Awards
LMAO!! God you are fun to mess with.

am kittens?? Anabolicminds kittens???
firat you disrespect my mother and now you are using Gods name to swear.Man you've got problems and you need to get a life and some balls

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
jgaz18

jgaz18

Awards
Look up Jason Seib and Sara Fragoso! They have a podcast and a Facebook page "jassafit" they started out as Paleo but changed a few things. Jason wrote a book called "Paleo coach" very good book.