Can I get a spot on my macros?

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone, this is my first ever post. I've been lurking for awhile, and have learned a ton. Hoping I can get a little help with my macros for the cut I'm on. I am 5'11" and 26, currently weigh 165 with about 15% body fat, looking to drop to close to 10%. I've been back in the weight training game for about a year now. I lifted for about 3 years, then I had a non training shoulder injury that kept me sidelined for a bit. Finally close to a 100% and feel great. Anyways, back to the cut. I've been cutting for 2 weeks and would just like some input on my macro. Currently intaking 184 P 153 C 58 F, putting me at 1870 daily calories. I am doing the 5/3/1 workout, so that's 4 lifting days. I also do 20 minutes of HIIT cardio 3 times a week. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Maybe it would help if I talk more about my progress. I really started taking my training seriously about 7 months ago. I've be counting my macros and eating very clean. Here is my progress in the last 6 months. I'm just looking for a little advice to take my diet to the next level. I haven't seen any weight loss in the 2 weeks since I began his cut, and I know I should wait longer before deciding to make changes, but I thought I'd just double check with some guys that know much more about nutrition than I do.

Attachments

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what your maintenance is, but that sounds like a low number to start out with. Always start as high as you can while still loosing weight, it may take longer but you'll reach your goal with less muscle lost and a better metabolism and overall health. I'm also not sure I understood if you started the cut 7 months ago and have been dropping cals over that period, or you've been making progress for 7 months but just now went on a real cut.

As for the macros themselves, I would drop fats to 45g or so, take protein up to 200g and fill the rest with carbs. And this may be somewhat personal, but I'd rather lift an extra 60m per week than do HIiT. If you train with circuits, very short rest periods, drop sets, etc. it will almost be like cardio.

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what your maintenance is, but that sounds like a low number to start out with. Always start as high as you can while still loosing weight, it may take longer but you'll reach your goal with less muscle lost and a better metabolism and overall health. I'm also not sure I understood if you started the cut 7 months ago and have been dropping cals over that period, or you've been making progress for 7 months but just now went on a real cut. As for the macros themselves, I would drop fats to 45g or so, take protein up to 200g and fill the rest with carbs. And this may be somewhat personal, but I'd rather lift an extra 60m per week than do HIiT. If you train with circuits, very short rest periods, drop sets, etc. it will almost be like cardio.
I believe my maintenance is 2200, so it's a 400 reduction. And yes, I just started this cut. I began 7 months ago with a 3 month cut, then the last 3-4 months I've been at maintenance and recomped nicely.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I believe my maintenance is 2200, so it's a 400 reduction. And yes, I just started this cut. I began 7 months ago with a 3 month cut, then the last 3-4 months I've been at maintenance and recomped nicely.
In that case I'd start slower, close to 2000, and see where it takes you after 3 weeks or so. If you're not in a rush, prepping for a contest or something, no reason to tank your metabolism. Especially for guys like us (I also weight 165-175) who already eat very few calories, it's a bad idea to go very low, I mean do you really want to finish your cut eating 1400kcals a day?

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
In that case I'd start slower, close to 2000, and see where it takes you after 3 weeks or so. If you're not in a rush, prepping for a contest or something, no reason to tank your metabolism. Especially for guys like us (I also weight 165-175) who already eat very few calories, it's a bad idea to go very low, I mean do you really want to finish your cut eating 1400kcals a day?
Ok great, I'll up my protein to 200, lower my fat to 45 and fill in the rest with carbs to get me to 2000. Thanks for the advice!

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Ok great, I'll up my protein to 200, lower my fat to 45 and fill in the rest with carbs to get me to 2000. Thanks for the advice!
No problem. Just keep in mind I'm guessing here. You may not move the scale at all with 2000kcals after 4 weeks, in which case, drop 200kcals and wait another 4 weeks... It's a lengthy process but it's the right way to do it.

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
No problem. Just keep in mind I'm guessing here. You may not move the scale at all with 2000kcals after 4 weeks, in which case, drop 200kcals and wait another 4 weeks... It's a lengthy process but it's the right way to do it.
And when I drop, I should mostly just lower carbs right? Keep fat and protein where it is?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Well there comes a point where either 1) you drop your carbs to uncomfortably low levels 2) you cut back on the other macros. Ideally, you would not cut back much more on the others as it can have negative consequences for health and gains, but if you're eating 1400kcals or some **** you may have to sacrifice long term for short term. That's why I think it's retarded to cut really hard unless you're competing. But I don't think this is your case, at least not yet. If you were to drop to 1800kcals or so it wouldn't be necessary. If you did, 45g fat and 185g protein would br fine. In any case, try and stick with the higher end of the range as long as you see progress.

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
I have these same exact macros except for 85 fat at 2100 calories.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
This has really been a helpful post. I am 5'9 174 and wanting to lean out a little as well. My maintenance is ~2700. I've been at 2100 cal 40/35/25 (or 210g P, 137g C, 50g F) for the last 2 weeks and have seen a 6lb decrease. Feel better, feel like I look a little better. I was considering going down to my BMR (1800) but after reading you guys, I'm gonna stick to 2100. I don't want to get into my muscle mass. I was beginning to get greedy. Thanks for the tips, indirectly.