The road to Lean&Mean

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
I'm new to the AM family and looking to get lean! I started lifting two years ago but have become more consistent and serious about it in the last year. My goal is to drop body fat and become as lean as I can, maintain that lean-ness while also building a strong, healthy body. Ballet is my profession so I am wary about how much size I gain.

Over the last year I have also gotten my diet fairly in check. I have found that low carb, high protein works the best and I've seen a significant improvement. It's hard staying away from the salty, crunchy snacks!

SUPPLEMENTS:
Alphamine - 1 yr ago; the beginning of a leaner body. I felt more cut and the caffeine got me goin. Stopped using it because I noticed my BO had gone fishy. It wasn't until recently I learned that was due to the choline.
AnaBeta: summer 2013;
Alpha T-2 - Aug 2013; after losing a bit of fat I found it helped me maintain my physique and I enjoyed the thermogenic quality.
ThermoCore - March 2014; picked this up at the Arnold Classic. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

I'm on my last leg of Norcodrene which has been my favorite supp so far. The appetite suppressant has been my saving grace.

DIET:
13-1500 cals
Protein - 1 g per lb of body weight
Fat - 40-50 g
Carbs - less than 100 g, 150 g on reload days

TRAINING:
Lap swimming 2x wk 20-30 laps
Shoulders, bi's, tri's 1x wk
Back, legs, abs 1x wk
Elliptical HIIT 2x wk 15-25 mins, 1 min on:30 sec rest

I've begun to incorporate suicides on my interval days, as well.

Anything helps!! :)

image-3426399427.jpg

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Circuit and sprints today!

CIRCUIT:
3 rounds, 30 sec between each exercise, 90 sec between rounds.

Skater squats w/ 10 lb dumbbell
16, 16, 15

30 sec plank

Push-ups
15, 18, 18

Split squats
25, 25, 17

Inverted row
11, 12, 12

Back felt fatigued when I was through, but noticed improvement in my push-ups and inverted rows.

Took a 10 min rest and jumped on the elliptical for a HIIT.

20 mins of HIIT. Sprint max 256 strides. 1 min sprint : 30 sec rest.
5 min warm up, 5 min cool down.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looks like you have done your homework and are putting it to good use. Looking really lean and mean!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Looks like you have done your homework and are putting it to good use. Looking really lean and mean!
Thank you! Figuring out how to navigate the forums and picking things up along the way! :)

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
sub'd, welcome to AM!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Welcome to AM!! Good to have another girl join in! :) In to follow along!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
First round of swimming this week. I should have eaten a little something before I went - at about 15 I started to fade.

25 laps
- 8 freestyle
- 8 backstroke
- 4 breast stroke
- 5 freestyle with floatie between my knees

Kept a good, medium pace. About 15 second pause after ever 5 to de-fog the goggles.

Anyone have tips to keep my goggles from fogging up?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in! :D

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't swim worth a flip so I'm super jealous! Awesome job girl!! I'll try to find out about the goggles though!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
I can't swim worth a flip so I'm super jealous! Awesome job girl!! I'll try to find out about the goggles though!
I started last summer for something new and I really like it for a more steady state cardio, as opposed to walking on the treadmill, because my whole body still gets worked. It also feels good to do a few laps after an intense leg day (or long day of rehearsal) to shake out those sore muscles.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I started last summer for something new and I really like it for a more steady state cardio, as opposed to walking on the treadmill, because my whole body still gets worked. It also feels good to do a few laps after an intense leg day (or long day of rehearsal) to shake out those sore muscles.
That's awesome! I bet it does feel great!!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Shoulders, chest and biceps today.

Warm up:
15 mins walking at 4 mph on the treadmill
10 x 5 bicep curls

Cheater curls - drop set
20 x 4
15 x 4
12 x 5

Cable curls - drop set
95 x 6
80 x 5
65 x 4
50 x 3

Side lateral raises
15 x 8 x 2
15 x 7

Reverse flys
15 x 5
15 x 4 x 2

Dumbbell shoulder press
25 x 4 x 2
20 x 8

Arnold press
20 x 6
20 x 5

Bench press
Warm up 10 reps w/ bar
65 x 11
75 x 7
75 x 4

Flys
12 x 4
10 x 6

Push ups to failure

Finished out with shoulder rotations using the resistance band. 2 sets to failure.

Will definitely be sore tomorrow!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wow!!! Awesome workout girl!!! :)

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Legs, back and tri's today. Feel like I'm getting sick, might just be allergies, but total body exhaustion really set in about halfway through. Still gotta get it in!

Warm up:
Squats w/ bar x 10

Sumo Squats:
95 x 10
115 x 5
Drop set
125 x 5
115 x 5
95 x 8

SLDL:
65 x 15
75 x 12
85 x 10 x 2

Skull crushers into bent over DB rows
30 x 10 --> 20 x 10
30 x 9 --> 20 x 10
30 x 8 --> 20 x 8

Tricep cable press down w/ rope (split rope at bottom)
30 x 15
40 x 10
Drop set
50 x 7
40 x 4
30 x 3

Pull ups to failure - assisted w/ resistance band
Wide grip x 3
Wide grip x 3 + 3 negatives
Neutral grip x 4 negatives

I have been having some issues lately with squats. Inside the crease of my hip, the hip flexor, feels crunchy and painful when I come out of the hole. When I'm done squatting i stretch the flexor to keep it from cinching up and spasming. I have tried changing the width of my stance; the closer I go the less deep I can squat so wider is more comfortable. The amount of weight isn't a factor. I have good form.
Does anyone else struggle with something similar? Or have any idea what could be causing it? Any info is much appreciated :)

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Legs, back and tri's today. Feel like I'm getting sick, might just be allergies, but total body exhaustion really set in about halfway through. Still gotta get it in! Warm up: Squats w/ bar x 10 Sumo Squats: 95 x 10 115 x 5 Drop set 125 x 5 115 x 5 95 x 8 SLDL: 65 x 15 75 x 12 85 x 10 x 2 Skull crushers into bent over DB rows 30 x 10 --> 20 x 10 30 x 9 --> 20 x 10 30 x 8 --> 20 x 8 Tricep cable press down w/ rope (split rope at bottom) 30 x 15 40 x 10 Drop set 50 x 7 40 x 4 30 x 3 Pull ups to failure - assisted w/ resistance band Wide grip x 3 Wide grip x 3 + 3 negatives Neutral grip x 4 negatives I have been having some issues lately with squats. Inside the crease of my hip, the hip flexor, feels crunchy and painful when I come out of the hole. When I'm done squatting i stretch the flexor to keep it from cinching up and spasming. I have tried changing the width of my stance; the closer I go the less deep I can squat so wider is more comfortable. The amount of weight isn't a factor. I have good form. Does anyone else struggle with something similar? Or have any idea what could be causing it? Any info is much appreciated :)
Great session. I use to have the same problem, I don't know what I did different but wearing compression shorts have helped me a lot.

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Great session. I use to have the same problem, I don't know what I did different but wearing compression shorts have helped me a lot.
Interesting... I didn't think of that. I'll have to give it a try. Where do you find yours? Dick's sporting goods?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting... I didn't think of that. I'll have to give it a try. Where do you find yours? Dick's sporting goods?
You can get them at Walmart, in the men's department. They are pretty tight but it really helps. They're like $10-$12.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great workout again!! I'm gonna have to try out the compression shorts too! My hip flexors act up occasionally too!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Killer circuit today. I was a little liberal with my rest periods because even though I'm kicking my cold/allergies, I'm still pretty congested. Tried not to stop for more than 90 secs.... Except for the time some kid was rudely and inconsiderately jumping in on everyone's equipment and took my bench... One guy asked if he understood the concept of sharing...

Anyway, I think this will be my progress test every month and hopefully see some improvement throughout the summer!

Warm up:
.5 mi elliptical jog
Shoulder rotations w/ PVC pipe

Circuit:
4 rounds
Timed - finished in 30:07

40 lunges w/ 25 lb weight overhead
30 box jumps
20 wall balls w/ 8 lb medicine ball
10 shoulder press w/ 20 lb DB

Lots of stretching after!
Definitely a good one for explosion and stabilization.

Happy Memorial Day!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice! Love the circuit!! Always hate people jumping in the middle!! That's my fav thing about training at 5am- everyone stays out of my way! Lol Today was way too crowded at my gym as well though!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Nice! Love the circuit!! Always hate people jumping in the middle!! That's my fav thing about training at 5am- everyone stays out of my way! Lol Today was way too crowded at my gym as well though!
Thanks! Everyone's tryin to get it in today! Totally hated it while I was going, and definitely going to be sore, but the accomplished feeling is hard to beat :)
I don't usually mind jumping in, but it's a different story when said person changes your whole set up! There's no way I could get up and train at 5... But I bet it's nice and quiet that early!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks! Everyone's tryin to get it in today! Totally hated it while I was going, and definitely going to be sore, but the accomplished feeling is hard to beat :) I don't usually mind jumping in, but it's a different story when said person changes your whole set up! There's no way I could get up and train at 5... But I bet it's nice and quiet that early!
Yes they were! It was crazy! Glad they were working out though! Yes, that's such an awesome feeling!! It is nice and quite at 5...usually only 50 or so people in there. They are all there to get it in and get out! Good set of people! :)

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Fallin behind on my logs!!

Tuesday: LISS treadmill walk for 45 mins at 4 mph

Wednesday: swimming
Freestyle x 5
Backstroke x 5
Breaststroke x 5
Freestyle w/ buoy between thighs x 5

Leg day today!

Calf raises on smith machine w/ board
20 x w/ bar
10 x 105 x 3

SLDL
warm up 10 w/ bar
65 x 15
75 x 17
85 x 12
95 x 7

Grip starts to give out the heavier I go
Went up in weight today!

Squats
Warm up 10 body weight
95 x 10
115 x 7
125 x 2 (on the 3rd one, I got to parallel and just kept sinking to ATG and couldn't get back up.)
125 x 3

Goblet squat - first time. Really liked them!
20 x 20
25 x 18
30 x 17

Gym was so busy today had to wait about 30 mins before I could get a machine! By then end I was runnin low on energy and feelin weak. Future reference - don't lift during lunch hour ;)

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice workout even with it not being the best time at lunch.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great job girl! Congrats on the strength gains!!! That's exciting! The grip issues get better! I have the same issues!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Great job girl! Congrats on the strength gains!!! That's exciting! The grip issues get better! I have the same issues!
I thought about trying my gloves (which I only wear for pull ups) but I'm thinking that won't do much.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought about trying my gloves (which I only wear for pull ups) but I'm thinking that won't do much.
No, they don't usually help with grip much...do you do your pull ups assisted? If so, you can try just hanging with your full body weight for as long as you can...it will help strengthen your hands!

Night Prowler

Awards
About 15 second pause after ever 5 to de-fog the goggles. Anyone have tips to keep my goggles from fogging up?
Try baby shampoo or spit on the inside of the lens, rub it around and rinse. Don't ask me why but it works

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
No, they don't usually help with grip much...do you do your pull ups assisted? If so, you can try just hanging with your full body weight for as long as you can...it will help strengthen your hands!
Yeah, I use band. Just starting to do so, actually. Than you, I'll give that a shot!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Try baby shampoo or spit on the inside of the lens, rub it around and rinse. Don't ask me why but it works
I tried the spit the last time I went (advice from the lifeguard) but baby shampoo sounds much better. Thank you!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Upper body today! Circuit then caught up the remaining muscle groups.

Warm up
PVC pipe rotations
Hang clean w/ bar x5
Pendlay rows w/ bar x5

CIRCUIT:
6 rounds in 20 mins w/ 1 min rest between rounds. 8 reps per set

Push-up
Hang clean 55 lb
DB overhead press
20 lb, 15 lb, finished out with 12 lb
Ab set
- ab roller x8 x2
- leg raises on bench x8 x2
- 45 sec plank x2
Pendlay rows 55 lb

Triceps
Skull crushers 30 x 10 x2
Dips 5 x2

Biceps
Two exercises back to back, x3, no rest (anyone know the technical name for this? All I can think of is "super-setted superset")

Seated curls 10 x 12 x3
Drag curls w/ easy curl bar 20 x 10 20 x 6 20 x 5

Feelin the pump! More stretching afterward to release yesterday's sore hammies!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry it took me a while to get on and Chk your log but great job on the upper workout!! Looks like it was a good one! :)

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
I believe the correct term is "Super Duper Set" - derived from the Latin superusduperum which was used to describe the top-notch gladiators. (Source: Wikipedia)
Haha yes! Super duper set it is. :)

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Forgot to log yesterday, so here it is. Cardio day.

5 min warm up @ 3.5 mph on treadmill
5 min walk @ 4 mph
5 min jog @ 6.5 mph
Hopped off, got some water and headed upstairs to the gym
5 suicide sprints, 45 sec rest between
10 min @ 4 mph to finish out

I am not a runner by any means so those suicides are killer! Really gets my heart rate up. Trying to find different sprints/cardio to do rather than having elliptical HIIT be the only source.

No longer taking Norcodrene
Looking less lean, although I feel my strength has increased.
Loss of leanness due to eating out more often and increased carb intake because I haven't been keeping up on my macros. Shame on me!
Going to start posting my daily macros and get back on track!

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice cardio day!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Circuit today to get that fat loss back on track.

Warm up
Shoulder rotations w/ PVC pipe

Circuit
Timed 20 mins
Finished 5 rounds

Push press: bar x 5
Farmers walk: 35 lb each hand, approx. 50 m
Rowing machine: 2 min

The rower is not near the weights, so In order to minimize breaks I did the Farmers Walk from the weight room to the rower, drop em and row, the farmers walk back to the weight room. Might have been slightly over 50 meters.

Finished off with 15 min on the elliptical. Level 2 on resistance and crossramp, kept it between 210/220 strides pm.

What are circuits that you enjoy??

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Back at it today with a mile swim! For our pool that means 36 laps. New record for myself :)

1 mile - 45 mins

5 warm up laps, alternating strokes
10 freestyle
10 backstroke
5 freestyle w/ buoy
3 breaststroke
3 cool down laps, alternating strokes.

definitely was slowing down those last 16 laps!

Brought some BCAA's with me for the first time today. I'll be doing that again for sure!!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Woohoo! Awesome job girl!!

funkd0c

funkd0c

Awards
  • Established
Back at it today with a mile swim! For our pool that means 36 laps. New record for myself :) 1 mile - 45 mins 5 warm up laps, alternating strokes 10 freestyle 10 backstroke 5 freestyle w/ buoy 3 breaststroke 3 cool down laps, alternating strokes. definitely was slowing down those last 16 laps! Brought some BCAA's with me for the first time today. I'll be doing that again for sure!!
Bustin' it up!

katygirl429

katygirl429

Awards
Death by preworkout....

I was cleaning out my car a few weeks ago and found a blender bottle with a little bit of preworkout in it. ?? opened it to rinse out and almost lost it. I've run it through the dishwasher 3-4 times and today tried bleach soak + dishwasher. But the stank remains.

How do I make it go away or is the stench there for good?!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Death by preworkout.... I was cleaning out my car a few weeks ago and found a blender bottle with a little bit of preworkout in it. ?? opened it to rinse out and almost lost it. I've run it through the dishwasher 3-4 times and today tried bleach soak + dishwasher. But the stank remains. How do I make it go away or is the stench there for good?!
Eeeek ...You could try vinegar but I'd just throw it away if I were you!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess I might have to... But it's essentially brand new :(
Aww that stinks! Soak it with a mixture of of vinegar/dawn/hot water...let it sit a full 24+ hours. I'm surprised bleach didn't do it though!