Cutting for summer

Toby Bonham

Toby Bonham

Awards
Im currently trying to cut for the summer and just wanted to check that my nutrition is in check. I'm 16, been lifting for almost 6 months now. I'm 78 kg. I workout 5-6 times a week (strength training) and usually do cardio 1-3 times during the week after working out. I also recently started to take walks in the morning in a fasted state as I've read that that improves fat loss too. I eat pretty clean and have been for about a month now since I started cutting. I use my fitness pal to calculate what I eat during the day and my macros are 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fat). currently on 1800 calories a day. Any tips to cutting guys? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Im currently trying to cut for the summer and just wanted to check that my nutrition is in check. I'm 16, been lifting for almost 6 months now. I'm 78 kg. I workout 5-6 times a week (strength training) and usually do cardio 1-3 times during the week after working out. I also recently started to take walks in the morning in a fasted state as I've read that that improves fat loss too. I eat pretty clean and have been for about a month now since I started cutting. I use my fitness pal to calculate what I eat during the day and my macros are 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fat). currently on 1800 calories a day. Any tips to cutting guys? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Any reason why your protein is only 30%? Everyone is different and I have more body fat than you but my macro's are at for today so far are 14 carbs/61 protien/25 fat, my average for the week is 44% fat 18% carbs, and 38% protien. Clearly I need to up the protien and drop the fat a little, but its working and strength is increasing and fat is dropping slowly. Scale is dropping slowly as well.

At your size I would just focus on a little less carbs, a bit more protien and eating at maintenance or 10% over and getting strong. As long as you are eating clean you should do just fine.

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
I would say that at 16, 1800 cals isn't enough. Especially of you're lifting hard and heavy. Also, turn the protein/ carb ratio around.

To be honest, if that avi pic is you, I wouldn't worry about cutting. I'd be more worried with adding muscle than losing fat.

Toby Bonham

Toby Bonham

Awards
Thanks guys! I'll try turning my carb/protein around and up my calories abit and see how it goes. Again, many thanks!

inmylife34

Awards
Figure out your tdee eat 20% less then your tdee eat .7 grams of protein per lbs and 4.5 of fat daily

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
20% is about 2 lbs per week 10% is 1 pound
You're telling a 78kg, 16yr old kid to drop his calories down to 1440cals per day... That is not good advice... I have women dieting at higher calories than that... Don't listen to this info OP...

inmylife34

Awards
His tdee should be around

Tdee 2494 cals

my advice

1900 cals would drop 2 pounds

His bmr 1814 that different then tdee

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
His tdee should be around

Tdee 2494 cals

my advice

1900 cals would drop 2 pounds

His bmr 1814 that different then tdee
It's just not necessary to drop calls at his size though. If you can keep them where they are or raise them slightly and just lift, he will recomp.

inmylife34

Awards
It's just not necessary to drop calls at his size though. If you can keep them where they are or raise them slightly and just lift, he will recomp.
True but Recomping is so slow an frustrating....

inmylife34

Awards
He's only eating around 1800cals at the moment...
I'm pretty sure he's not counting correctly if he's only eatting 1800 and not loosing ... Or he has a health problems ....

inmylife34

Awards
So you're advice to him is basically, lose muscle just to get there fast... Instead of a steady paced recomp?
No my advice is to drop 2 pounds a week to lean out then a slow bulk from there

If he eats the proper protein and lifting heavy at least 3 days out of the week and staying in a deficit he would not lose to much muscle... But he'd cut pretty fast

inmylife34

Awards
I think
He should be cutting at 2000 not 1400 if he's counting everything that goes in his mouth and no cheat days that's almost 25 pounds of fat in 3 month

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I think
He should be cutting at 2000 not 1400 if he's counting everything that goes in his mouth and no cheat days that's almost 25 pounds of fat in 3 month
Why such a fast cut? Just take your time with it... He's 16 & only been lifting 6months... Noob gains should still be on the rise... I think he should be eating at maintenance at least & up his activity, just because he can at 16...

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
If your goal is Fat loss, IMO anything over 1-1.5 lbs a week is more muscle than fat. Your pic looks fine and I would look into adding size as that will fill you out more and in the end you will look bigger while still being lean.
Look into TUT (time under tension) methods for training. It will help you lean down while making your stronger. And you wont have to adjust your calories to loose weight. But as it been said you are probably eating not enough isf only at 1800. You seem active enough where 2500 should be a min.
If you are still set on loosing Fat and not weight, think of fat loss and everything used for it as tools. You dont use them all at one time, you use one at a time to get the job done.
Start with diet, though for you I would skip this part and go into adding 2-3 times a week of HIIT after traing for 15-20 min.
When that stalls out, add in a thermo like Dexaprine, or subtract 100 cal from your diet.
Before you decide if you "stalled" out give it 2 weeks and make sure you are following your routine.