Dropping bodyfat what carbs to eat

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
K I am 5'7 173#s and I am about 18% bodyfat. I want to get down to about 12%. Am working out three days a week and eating about 1500 cals. With 180 protein and staying under 150 on carbs. Any Input. And what carbs should I eat I have been eating sweet potatoes and whole grain

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
How old are you?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I am going on a cruise in July and want to get as much fat off as I can. I haven't been doing any cardio just 10 min after my workouts in the gym on treadmill. If I can get my bodyfat down then I want to clean bulk.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Your macro ratio should be 50/30/20 (protein/carbs/fat) if you want to lean out...also your calories seem very low....I'm only guessing here but maybe around 2200 with the ratio I gave should work better. Also add HIIT instead of conventional cardio (high intensity interval training)...it will burn a TON more fat than just an hour on the treadmill.

This shoukld help you calculate your calories & macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I have read a lot of different things on this HITT. What is it and how do I do it? I leave in July for the cruise Can I drop body fat in time? And what is wrong with cals being low?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I have read a lot of different things on this HITT. What is it and how do I do it? I leave in July for the cruise Can I drop body fat in time? And what is wrong with cals being low?
Judging from these questions, you have a lot of research to do...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah hence the reason I am on here asking for advice.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Yeah hence the reason I am on here asking for advice.
Have you searched the forum for this info, as well as asking for these things to be explained? How much are you actually eating? You stated 2100cals in another thread you started about weight & 1500cals here...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I started with 2100 and then looked a calorie calculator up and I set my goal to 1500 cal

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I started with 2100 and then looked a calorie calculator up and I set my goal to 1500 cal
I got 2370cals as your TDEE on two different calculators... I'd advice aiming for 2100cals minimum to begin with... If you gain weight, drop 100cals... If you stall, drop 100cals... If you lose, keep it the same...

260g Protein
160g Carbs
45g Fat

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thank you for the help. And sorry to wear out the help button

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First Cycle... Currently I am 5'7" and 165lbs with 15% body fat.

My most previous cut I followed Dave Polumbo's cutting diet for 4 months.
I started @ 194lbs and dropped to 164lbs in 4 months eating 2100-2200 calories per day.

1500 calories is way to little. You'll lose muscle mass.

List of Protein I ate:
Eggs
Chicken
Beef
Fish
Cheese
Whey Protein

Carbs came from:
Almonds
Peanut Butter
Veges
Didnt eat any other carb except on Sundays for refeading/refueling

I would shoot for something like this for your cut
265g Protein per day (1060 calories)
90g Fat per day (900 calories)
50g Carbs per day (200 calories)

Should put you at 2160 Calories per day

The fats should come from Olive Oil, M academia Oil, Avocado, Nuts, Peanut Butter & your lean protein sources.
The fats will keep you full, instead of getting bloated from excess carbs, plus will allow your body to use your own
fat for energy because of the lack of carbs.

Now that Im off that diet and Im starting a recomp diet. Ive upped my carbs on workout days and I am now also eating..

Oatmeal
Sweet Potatoes
Brown Rice
Whole Grain/Flax Breads

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thanks. I have been eating brown rice and sweet potatoes Turkey chicken beef steaks. Veggies. Eggs. A **** load of eggs. I work shift work so some eating is really hard. What workout stuff or routine did you follow. I am sticking with the strong lifts and then doing HIIT on days off

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks. I have been eating brown rice and sweet potatoes Turkey chicken beef steaks. Veggies. Eggs. A **** load of eggs. I work shift work so some eating is really hard. What workout stuff or routine did you follow. I am sticking with the strong lifts and then doing HIIT on days off
I packed meals with me for work, made them the night before. I always had protein and a jar peanut butter with me too. They dont need refrigeration.

I did split body part routine, working out with 8-12 reps per set, 4 sets per body part
Mon - Chest
Tue - Back
Wed - Legs
Thur - Shoulders
Fri - Arms

Did 20-40 minutes of cardio 5 days per week. I only did LISS cardio Dave Polumbo's cutting diet, that what he recommends when doing
such low carbs, so you dont waste away muscle mass. I recently switched to 20 minutes of HIIT now that Im eating more carbs on WO days.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ben Carpenter just posted a video on YouTube about this very topic... Very informative no bro science

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the help and info. I was pretty close on the things I have been eating and that really helped a lot thanks

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
50g Carbs is very low... I personally wouldn't do that, but that's just my opinion...

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
50g Carbs is very low... I personally wouldn't do that, but that's just my opinion...
It works for people that are carb sensitive. I know its not right for everyone.
I was down to 25g per day at one point and never hungry throughtout the
day, because each of my meals was full of protein and fat.

Usfscuba

Usfscuba

Awards
First Cycle... Currently I am 5'7" and 165lbs with 15% body fat. My most previous cut I followed Dave Polumbo's cutting diet for 4 months. I started @ 194lbs and dropped to 164lbs in 4 months eating 2100-2200 calories per day. 1500 calories is way to little. You'll lose muscle mass. List of Protein I ate: Eggs Chicken Beef Fish Cheese Whey Protein Carbs came from: Almonds Peanut Butter Veges Didnt eat any other carb except on Sundays for refeading/refueling I would shoot for something like this for your cut 265g Protein per day (1060 calories) 90g Fat per day (900 calories) 50g Carbs per day (200 calories) Should put you at 2160 Calories per day The fats should come from Olive Oil, M academia Oil, Avocado, Nuts, Peanut Butter & your lean protein sources. The fats will keep you full, instead of getting bloated from excess carbs, plus will allow your body to use your own fat for energy because of the lack of carbs. Now that Im off that diet and Im starting a recomp diet. Ive upped my carbs on workout days and I am now also eating.. Oatmeal Sweet Potatoes Brown Rice Whole Grain/Flax Breads
Outstanding

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
It works for people that are carb sensitive. I know its not right for everyone.
I was down to 25g per day at one point and never hungry throughtout the
day, because each of my meals was full of protein and fat.
He didn't mention that he is carb sensitive... He did however mention he tries to stay under 150g Carbs in his current diet... Suggesting only 50g to someone who has to TRY to stay under 150g is just going to make things more difficult than it already is...

Usfscuba

Usfscuba

Awards
He didn't mention that he is carb sensitive... He did however mention he tries to stay under 150g Carbs in his current diet... Suggesting only 50g to someone who has to TRY to stay under 150g is just going to make things more difficult than it already is...
Let me guess, you have never been overweight ... 5lbs water weight doesn't count.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Let me guess, you have never been overweight ... 5lbs water weight doesn't count.
If you know so much, why don't you offer this dude some help instead of asking me questions... I work with what information I am given... I don't jump to conclusions solely based on what I believe, or what I have been through...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I just simply needed and was looking for some advice. Just a little direction to start in.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I just simply needed and was looking for some advice. Just a little direction to start in.
Hopefully you got what you need... If you use what I suggested & need any extra help, just ask... Try not to overcomplicate things & more importantly, don't let others overcomplicate things for you either...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your macro ratio should be 50/30/20 (protein/carbs/fat) if you want to lean out...also your calories seem very low....I'm only guessing here but maybe around 2200 with the ratio I gave should work better. Also add HIIT instead of conventional cardio (high intensity interval training)...it will burn a TON more fat than just an hour on the treadmill.

This shoukld help you calculate your calories & macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403

I believe 40/40/20 (protein/fat/carbs) works better for leaning out. Just what I've noticed over time/trials.

Usfscuba

Usfscuba

Awards
I believe 40/40/20 (protein/fat/carbs) works better for leaning out. Just what I've noticed over time/trials.
Ditto 40/40/20 did the job for me. If I want to lean out even more for a special occasion, I drop my carbs and up my fats.

I tried carb backloading for four weeks early this year and it did not work for me *at all*. I got softer, pudgier .. Ugh, hated it. Just too carb sensitive I guess .. probably from all my young years yoyo dieting.

Journal your food daily .. analyze your results often .. Change your approach as needed.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thanks man. I am keeping carbs low not going over 100 carbs a day but still keeping protein up. Still have a belly and little muffin jk. Time will take it tho

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Ditto 40/40/20 did the job for me. If I want to lean out even more for a special occasion, I drop my carbs and up my fats.

I tried carb backloading for four weeks early this year and it did not work for me *at all*. I got softer, pudgier .. Ugh, hated it. Just too carb sensitive I guess .. probably from all my young years yoyo dieting.

Journal your food daily .. analyze your results often .. Change your approach as needed.
Thanks guys and 40/40/20 is where I started...however for me I tend to be sensitive to carbs & I stayed "soft" looking. The 50/30/20 ratio worked better for me. Being 47 years old my metabolism is a bit slower than most of you "young guys" so for me to stay at 40/40/20 I would have to up my HIIT to more than 2 days per week. At 50/30/20 I can let the diet do all the work & any HIIT would only be once per week. I still have energy & remain full looking...However YMMV

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys and 40/40/20 is where I started...however for me I tend to be sensitive to carbs & I stayed "soft" looking. The 50/30/20 ratio worked better for me. Being 47 years old my metabolism is a bit slower than most of you "young guys" so for me to stay at 40/40/20 I would have to up my HIIT to more than 2 days per week. At 50/30/20 I can let the diet do all the work & any HIIT would only be once per week. I still have energy & remain full looking...However YMMV
You misunderstood me. I was saying 40 protein 40 fat 20 carbs. Very low carbs here. This is close to a ketogenic diet. If you are carb sensitive (like I am) and want a dry look, look into a CKD diet.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
You misunderstood me. I was saying 40 protein 40 fat 20 carbs. Very low carbs here. This is close to a ketogenic diet. If you are carb sensitive (like I am) and want a dry look, look into a CKD diet.
Oh so you went 40% fat...I might try that sometime...

thebiz909

thebiz909

Awards
Does nobody do keto diets here?
on my second week of UD2.0, took a week to kick in. first week - dropped an inch around my waist (where i carry most if not all visible bf).

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
on my second week of UD2.0, took a week to kick in. first week - dropped an inch around my waist (where i carry most if not all visible bf).
Ive been looking into UD2.O....

how do you like it so far..? has it been hard on you.?

are you using it on a cut or a recoup..?

thebiz909

thebiz909

Awards
Ive been looking into UD2.O....

how do you like it so far..? has it been hard on you.?

are you using it on a cut or a recoup..?
yeh its kinda tuff staying disciplined/under my 50g carb limit for four days, but come thursday (my carb-load) day, life is good. it does seem to be working so i like that. i'm pretty certain i kno what glycogen depletion feels like now, and its ruff. luckily i only feel that way at the end of the workouts (the glycogen depletion workouts). and i'm irritable A LOT, but then again it might jus be me.

for cut/fat loss.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've done Dave Polimbo's cutting diet for 4 months and had my carbs down to 30g per day 6 days per week
With carb reload on day 7, so I'm ok with dropping My carbs to 50g per day for 4 days.

The only thing I was wondering about was how I'd feel getting calories down so low 2 days per week on UD2.0

thebiz909

thebiz909

Awards
I've done Dave Polimbo's cutting diet for 4 months and had my carbs down to 30g per day 6 days per week
With carb reload on day 7, so I'm ok with dropping My carbs to 50g per day for 4 days.

The only thing I was wondering about was how I'd feel getting calories down so low 2 days per week on UD2.0
I feel tired, irritable, nauseous + weak w/lo-blood sugar (at end of workout), and hv problems sleeping some nites

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I feel tired, irritable, nauseous + weak w/lo-blood sugar (at end of workout), and hv problems sleeping some nites

This seems odd. I've never felt better whilst doing a low-carb / ketogenic diet. I always feel great, and typically keep carbs to 10-20g per day max, only carbing up on the weekend.

My workouts while doing CKD's are typically 3 fullbody workouts per week, so they are fairly intense too. Maybe you need to increase your fat intake. Ketosis gives me great energy all day long, once my body has switched to fat burning mode for fuel. In my experience, only the first week should be a bit tough, but with nutrient partitioners to keep blood glucose levels down, it's very easy and fast to get into ketosis once switching to a low carb diet. I can usually do it within a week, and once I'm in --- very smooth energy all day long with no peaks and valleys. Just awake and alert all day, and workouts are pretty decent. I just have BCAAs around my workouts and I'm golden.

Usfscuba

Usfscuba

Awards
I've done Dave Polimbo's cutting diet for 4 months and had my carbs down to 30g per day 6 days per week With carb reload on day 7, so I'm ok with dropping My carbs to 50g per day for 4 days. The only thing I was wondering about was how I'd feel getting calories down so low 2 days per week on UD2.0
How low do you have to get your calories those 2 days? Just curious. Maybe y he's getting all those negative side effects.

thebiz909

thebiz909

Awards
This seems odd. I've never felt better whilst doing a low-carb / ketogenic diet. I always feel great, and typically keep carbs to 10-20g per day max, only carbing up on the weekend.

My workouts while doing CKD's are typically 3 fullbody workouts per week, so they are fairly intense too. Maybe you need to increase your fat intake. Ketosis gives me great energy all day long, once my body has switched to fat burning mode for fuel. In my experience, only the first week should be a bit tough, but with nutrient partitioners to keep blood glucose levels down, it's very easy and fast to get into ketosis once switching to a low carb diet. I can usually do it within a week, and once I'm in --- very smooth energy all day long with no peaks and valleys. Just awake and alert all day, and workouts are pretty decent. I just have BCAAs around my workouts and I'm golden.
yeh ur right week 1 was the hardest and i'm in week 2 and things are getting better, xcept for my irritability, but that might jus b me. however, today was my 'high intensity' workout and it was insanely good. like the best workout of my life. i felt incredibly strong. i dont kno if its due to the bpi sports - VORTEX i took, or what, but i straight KILLED IT!!! i'm still high from it. straight euphoria son!! AHHRHRHRHR!!!

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How low do you have to get your calories those 2 days? Just curious. Maybe y he's getting all those negative side effects.
On UD2.0 you have to go half of your maintenance calories . So like 1300-1500

On The diet I was on, I was eating 2100 per day five days per week and then 2600 on the weekend

thebiz909

thebiz909

Awards
1222 calories, brotein: 168g, carbs: 61g, fat: 34g

i'm not sure where 2 days came from, cos i do it for 4 days.

inmylife34

Awards
Carbs are evil over eatting in carbs is ... Cutting carbs allows your body to release more water and not fat

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carbs are evil over eatting in carbs is ... Cutting carbs allows your body to release more water and not fat
That's only initially true, in the first week or two, you lose 5-10 lbs of water weight. But after that you lose primarily fat.
You will still lose muscle if your not on anabolics, but not at the same rate as someone that is on a normal low calorie diet.