Critique on my diet please...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Hey guys, i have used this forum for info but finally joined for professional critism. I am trying to lose weight but want to build or keep muscle as much as possible. Age:22
    H:5'8"
    W:247
    Bf%- honestly never checked my guess low 30s
    I was 310 pounds 2 years ago lost alot of weight to about 250 and when my son was born and let my training and nutrition take a back seat. Now joined a gym spent the last two months dialing in my diet and workout routine. I havent seen that much weight loss and im unsure of its that i obtained a recomp or of im overestimating my calorie intake. Diet looks like this
    Fast from 8pm to 12pm workout 5 days a week
    530am 12pm= 3 egg whites 1 whole egg 3 alices of turkey maybe 3oz and 1/2 medium sweet potato grilled with butter

    3pm= baby spinach wwith turkey or grilled chicken- or chicken and quinoa

    6pm- turkey and salad lately but some kind of lean meat and veggiea

    Supplements Pre workout, bcaa during training, multi fish oil and soon forskolin Any critiques and advice is greatly appreciates

    I also take a ZMA supp at night thats only been two weeks

  2. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Im assuming you are a girl?
  3. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    What's your life like outside of the gym? Active a lot or do you spend a lot of time sitting down?
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    No why would you assume that? I dont wanna be putting that vibe out there lol
  5. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    What's your life like outside of the gym? Active a lot or do you spend a lot of time sitting down?
    I work at a deli currently alot of time on my feet but not exactly back breaking work
  6. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    [QUOTE="Ambizione;4406758"]Im assuming you are a girl?[/QUOTE
    I understsnd the child being born thing made me sound like i was preggers lol, but i was working so much to make due sleeping so little that i just couldnt find the energy in me to rele train
  7. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    Looks like you're under eating, what is that, 1200 calories there?

    I'd slam 20g of whey before and after your workout at least, with macros like that anyways.
  8. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post
    Looks like you're under eating, what is that, 1200 calories there? I'd slam 20g of whey before and after your workout at least, with macros like that anyways.
    This is something i feared, i was brought up very unhealthy and the knowledge i have of nutrition is self taught, wont the whey make me break my fast, i train fasted
  9. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    I apologize OP, I assumed that because of the baby statement yes, and also how little you are eating. I could go on in a big post about this but im going to try and help as simple as possible. I would reccomend calculating your maintenence calories and starting by subtracting 300 calories a day from that. I think your diet looks healthy, but you need to keep in mind weight gain and loss all comes down to calories in vs out, and I also want you to keep one tip in mind, When peoples goals are weight loss they usually eat very little and train very hard, only to notice that after a short while they stop losing weight. In an effort to continue to lose weight the first thought would be to drop calories or do more cardio, only to find that your progress has come down to a screeching halt. This is called starvation mode, and your body is getting so little & working so hard that it refuses to lose weight. Keep your calories at -300 daily and when progress slows down reduce by another 100 calories until you need to asses again. Hope this helps
  10. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambizione View Post
    I apologize OP, I assumed that because of the baby statement yes, and also how little you are eating. I could go on in a big post about this but im going to try and help as simple as possible. I would reccomend calculating your maintenence calories and starting by subtracting 300 calories a day from that. I think your diet looks healthy, but you need to keep in mind weight gain and loss all comes down to calories in vs out, and I also want you to keep one tip in mind, When peoples goals are weight loss they usually eat very little and train very hard, only to notice that after a short while they stop losing weight. In an effort to continue to lose weight the first thought would be to drop calories or do more cardio, only to find that your progress has come down to a screeching halt. This is called starvation mode, and your body is getting so little & working so hard that it refuses to lose weight. Keep your calories at -300 daily and when progress slows down reduce by another 100 calories until you need to asses again. Hope this helps
    No harm done about the gender confusion lol, the problem with calculating calories is i work 60+ hours a week at a job that doesnt permit my phone use all that much so i dont really know how to get my calories down , when i started IF not that long ago i dropped 5 pounds but then that stopped, my up bringing doesnt help my poor judgement of food size and calories, could any one just give me an example of a good sized meal that will promote a better body comp, dont need to be too specific just enough for me to get an idea
  11. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by badfish419 View Post
    No harm done about the gender confusion lol, the problem with calculating calories is i work 60+ hours a week at a job that doesnt permit my phone use all that much so i dont really know how to get my calories down , when i started IF not that long ago i dropped 5 pounds but then that stopped, my up bringing doesnt help my poor judgement of food size and calories, could any one just give me an example of a good sized meal that will promote a better body comp, dont need to be too specific just enough for me to get an idea
    I would double what your eating now, make it 6 meals, 1 of them pre workout, 1 post workout, and 1 @ 9am... see how that feels.
  12. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post
    I would double what your eating now, make it 6 meals, 1 of them pre workout, 1 post workout, and 1 @ 9am... see how that feels.
    I get up to train so maybe 2 scoops of whey with a table spoon of PB2 pre? Is that ok
  13. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by badfish419 View Post
    No harm done about the gender confusion lol, the problem with calculating calories is i work 60+ hours a week at a job that doesnt permit my phone use all that much so i dont really know how to get my calories down , when i started IF not that long ago i dropped 5 pounds but then that stopped, my up bringing doesnt help my poor judgement of food size and calories, could any one just give me an example of a good sized meal that will promote a better body comp, dont need to be too specific just enough for me to get an idea
    Haha I completely understand the upbringing. Im italian, and my family very much embraces our culture including the food we eat! Lots of breads, cheeses, pastas and oils. You just need to stick to your goals and not let anything get in your way. Fitness Freak has given you some great advice, doubling up meals would be a great start and then adjust accordingly to weight loss and goals.
  14. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Guys i cant thank you enough for the help i really appreciate it, and yeh my mom (who is a healthcare professional) let me eat pasta, solely pasta, for the first six years of my life supplemented with extra soda lol. I am pretty excited to be able to eat more but is what i said about the whey pre and post good for a meal or should i eat something different, i know whole foods are king but time is kind of crunched. May make an accountability log soon
  15. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by badfish419 View Post
    Guys i cant thank you enough for the help i really appreciate it, and yeh my mom (who is a healthcare professional) let me eat pasta, solely pasta, for the first six years of my life supplemented with extra soda lol. I am pretty excited to be able to eat more but is what i said about the whey pre and post good for a meal or should i eat something different, i know whole foods are king but time is kind of crunched. May make an accountability log soon
    Get a meal replacement shake.
  16. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post
    Get a meal replacement shake.
    Like a mass gainer? Or something different sorry about all the questions just limited knowledge
  17. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    No. Healthy shake with maybe 200-300 cals, 25+ pro, 20 carb 10g fat
  18. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    He's right, you need more calories.

    it's fine if you stop eating after eight, but you need to start eating a pre and post workout meal.

    You don't need shakes, and you should stop drinking the aminos intra, as fat loss is your main goal.
  19. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by badfish419 View Post
    Diet looks like this
    Fast from 8pm to 12pm workout 5 days a week
    530am 12pm= 3 egg whites 1 whole egg 3 alices of turkey maybe 3oz and 1/2 medium sweet potato grilled with butter

    3pm= baby spinach wwith turkey or grilled chicken- or chicken and quinoa

    6pm- turkey and salad lately but some kind of lean meat and veggiea

    Supplements Pre workout, bcaa during training, multi fish oil and soon forskolin Any critiques and advice is greatly appreciates

    I also take a ZMA supp at night thats only been two weeks
    Why don't you have a few eggs (3 whole?) before you train.

    Post workout have your chicken and quinoa

    Then eat everything else as planned. When you add these in maybe for your three pm meal try to drop the quinoa for the first week or two, see how your body responds.

    As far as lifting stick to your compound lifts.

    Do a few sprints to warmup, and or whatever else you need to do.

    After you finish training do a few more rounds of sprints.

    Do not sprint every day. Do start easy on them. Work your way into it.

    Look into a strength training program. Follow it with conditioning work as I described above.

    Alternate your cardio.
    If you have the money for a sled, invest in it.
    sprint with it behind you
    Pull it backwards
    Row it to you
    All good stuff.

    Check out elitefts.com they have a great exercise index.
  20. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Why don't you have a few eggs (3 whole?) before you train. Post workout have your chicken and quinoa Then eat everything else as planned. When you add these in maybe for your three pm meal try to drop the quinoa for the first week or two, see how your body responds. As far as lifting stick to your compound lifts. Do a few sprints to warmup, and or whatever else you need to do. After you finish training do a few more rounds of sprints. Do not sprint every day. Do start easy on them. Work your way into it. Look into a strength training program. Follow it with conditioning work as I described above. Alternate your cardio. If you have the money for a sled, invest in it. sprint with it behind you Pull it backwards Row it to you All good stuff. Check out elitefts.com they have a great exercise index.
    Ill drop the bcaa, and i will so shakea because i most likely cant make myself something pre workout without waking my son. I think ill stick to my training now just alternate cardio. Thanks i appreciate rhe support
  21. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by badfish419 View Post
    Ill drop the bcaa, and i will so shakea because i most likely cant make myself something pre workout without waking my son. I think ill stick to my training now just alternate cardio. Thanks i appreciate rhe support
    I like BCAA a lot during cardio, you could use them then if wanted...
  22. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    He shouldn't be using them. He's thirty percent body fat
  23. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    He shouldn't be using them. He's thirty percent body fat
    Why's that? Just curious.
  24. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Being 30% bodyfat is high, but I cant see any harm in him taking bcaas. I will say that you should probably save your money though. At this point I would reccomend sticking to the diet and training and not distracting yourself with supplements. Maybe have a scoop or two of whey a day. Thats just my take on it.
  25. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post

    Why's that? Just curious.
    Well his only goal at this point needs to be body fat reduction.

    don't get me wrong I always drink aminos during training but i'm around ten percent and trying to gain muscle.

    If you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of body fat
  26. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambizione View Post
    Being 30% bodyfat is high, but I cant see any harm in him taking bcaas. I will say that you should probably save your money though. At this point I would reccomend sticking to the diet and training and not distracting yourself with supplements. Maybe have a scoop or two of whey a day. Thats just my take on it.
    It wont hurt but it'll certainly slow down the process
  27. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Well his only goal at this point needs to be body fat reduction.

    don't get me wrong I always drink aminos during training but i'm around ten percent and trying to gain muscle.

    If you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of body fat
    Aceroni, during cardio after the glycogen stores are depleted, not only does your body use fat as fuel, but it also dips in to skeletal muscle tissue in an effort to break down and turn into amino acids. Supplementing with bcaas helps offset this metabolic process, keeping you as anabolic (anti-catabolic) as possible. It is very unreasonable to say that cardio with bcaas makes the body use them for fuel, as it will give people the idea that they will not be burning any fat.
  28. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    I was under the impression BCAA, in the most basic phrase, preserves muscle, and makes your body utilize fat/glycogen stores as a main energy source.
  29. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambizione View Post

    Aceroni, during cardio after the glycogen stores are depleted, not only does your body use fat as fuel, but it also dips in to skeletal muscle tissue in an effort to break down and turn into amino acids. Supplementing with bcaas helps offset this metabolic process, keeping you as anabolic (anti-catabolic) as possible. It is very unreasonable to say that cardio with bcaas makes the body use them for fuel, as it will give people the idea that they will not be burning any fat.
    yes you're right, he'll still be burning fat but to be honest he'll be using the aminos as fuel as well. You said it yourself.
  30. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You're right but at thirty percent he's not going to be burning muscle.
  31. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post
    I was under the impression BCAA, in the most basic phrase, preserves muscle, and makes your body utilize fat/glycogen stores as a main energy source.
    During exercise the body will use all of its energy sources in an effort to be able to sustain the workload placed upon it. Its our job to try and bring that into our favor which is why bcaas can have a positive impact. When glycogen stores are depleted the body will shift to a preferred fuel source, this is when bcaas come in handy. You will always have some sort of lean muscle loss, to what degree is impossible to tell. But yes bcaas will help in being anti-catabolic (Muscle sparring) during cardio.
  32. New Member
    Ambizione's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    35784
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    yes you're right, he'll still be burning fat but to be honest he'll be using the aminos as fuel as well. You said it yourself.
    He will be using the animos as fuel, but not as a primary and exclusive fuel source as is suggested by your post when you said "if you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of bodyfat" Like I said, it is very unreasonable to say that when you train or do cardio with bcaas, you will not burn any fat. And thats an understatement. However I believe we all have some info to bring to the table here and I agree with you that he most likely wont be burning off any muscle at this point, which is why I advised him to save his money.
  33. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambizione View Post
    He will be using the animos as fuel, but not as a primary and exclusive fuel source as is suggested by your post when you said "if you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of bodyfat" Like I said, it is very unreasonable to say that when you train or do cardio with bcaas, you will not burn any fat. And thats an understatement. However I believe we all have some info to bring to the table here and I agree with you that he most likely wont be burning off any muscle at this point, which is why I advised him to save his money.
    I appreciate all the advice from everyone, i was using bcaas because i was training fasted but i will no longer be doing that, so now its moot lol. I dont know if in truly 30% bf may be less but never been tested anyone have any visual cues that could help me guestimate better?
  34. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    A picture would help, but inbetween 20-30 it really is hard to tell a difference.
  35. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    When i get home ill post pics
  36. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Its not letting me up load basically im getting the feeling that at thirty i would be trememndosly fat which im noy my gut doesnt hang like it used to my face doesnt have too much fat its rele my man boobs mid section and love handles that hold alot
  37. New Member
    Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    76315
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    53.04%

    How much do you weigh and what is your bench, squat, and deadlift? If you really work hard with these movements along with cardio and your diet, then I'd assume you'd be obliterating the fat
  38. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness_Freak View Post
    How much do you weigh and what is your bench, squat, and deadlift? If you really work hard with these movements along with cardio and your diet, then I'd assume you'd be obliterating the fat
    Well havin pushed my 1RM yet but dead lift was at 285 with a really bad form so excited to see how i am with good form, squat is 2 plates and a 25 for 3 and bench is embarrassing trying to build chest strenght i cant even get one plate up for more than one set of five
  39. New Member
    badfish419's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  247 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    72.57%

    If u look at my accountability thread im trying a new split that should really boost fat loss
  40. New Member
    soorma37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    14
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    54.18%

    Add a protein shake
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. critique on my cutting diet again please
    By Rush8780 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 10:05 PM
  2. Advice on my diet please
    By nSe7en in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
  3. Thoughts on my diet please
    By heydarecarlos in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
  4. my diet, please critique
    By EctoMorphius in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 01:42 AM
  5. finally decided on my cycle. please critique
    By blackjack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in