Critique on my diet please...

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Hey guys, i have used this forum for info but finally joined for professional critism. I am trying to lose weight but want to build or keep muscle as much as possible. Age:22
H:5'8"
W:247
Bf%- honestly never checked my guess low 30s
I was 310 pounds 2 years ago lost alot of weight to about 250 and when my son was born and let my training and nutrition take a back seat. Now joined a gym spent the last two months dialing in my diet and workout routine. I havent seen that much weight loss and im unsure of its that i obtained a recomp or of im overestimating my calorie intake. Diet looks like this
Fast from 8pm to 12pm workout 5 days a week
530am 12pm= 3 egg whites 1 whole egg 3 alices of turkey maybe 3oz and 1/2 medium sweet potato grilled with butter

3pm= baby spinach wwith turkey or grilled chicken- or chicken and quinoa

6pm- turkey and salad lately but some kind of lean meat and veggiea

Supplements Pre workout, bcaa during training, multi fish oil and soon forskolin Any critiques and advice is greatly appreciates

I also take a ZMA supp at night thats only been two weeks

JD261985

Banned
Awards
What's your life like outside of the gym? Active a lot or do you spend a lot of time sitting down?

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
No why would you assume that? I dont wanna be putting that vibe out there lol

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
What's your life like outside of the gym? Active a lot or do you spend a lot of time sitting down?
I work at a deli currently alot of time on my feet but not exactly back breaking work

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Im assuming you are a girl?[/QUOTE
I understsnd the child being born thing made me sound like i was preggers lol, but i was working so much to make due sleeping so little that i just couldnt find the energy in me to rele train

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
Looks like you're under eating, what is that, 1200 calories there?

I'd slam 20g of whey before and after your workout at least, with macros like that anyways.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Looks like you're under eating, what is that, 1200 calories there? I'd slam 20g of whey before and after your workout at least, with macros like that anyways.
This is something i feared, i was brought up very unhealthy and the knowledge i have of nutrition is self taught, wont the whey make me break my fast, i train fasted

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
I apologize OP, I assumed that because of the baby statement yes, and also how little you are eating. I could go on in a big post about this but im going to try and help as simple as possible. I would reccomend calculating your maintenence calories and starting by subtracting 300 calories a day from that. I think your diet looks healthy, but you need to keep in mind weight gain and loss all comes down to calories in vs out, and I also want you to keep one tip in mind, When peoples goals are weight loss they usually eat very little and train very hard, only to notice that after a short while they stop losing weight. In an effort to continue to lose weight the first thought would be to drop calories or do more cardio, only to find that your progress has come down to a screeching halt. This is called starvation mode, and your body is getting so little & working so hard that it refuses to lose weight. Keep your calories at -300 daily and when progress slows down reduce by another 100 calories until you need to asses again. Hope this helps

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
I apologize OP, I assumed that because of the baby statement yes, and also how little you are eating. I could go on in a big post about this but im going to try and help as simple as possible. I would reccomend calculating your maintenence calories and starting by subtracting 300 calories a day from that. I think your diet looks healthy, but you need to keep in mind weight gain and loss all comes down to calories in vs out, and I also want you to keep one tip in mind, When peoples goals are weight loss they usually eat very little and train very hard, only to notice that after a short while they stop losing weight. In an effort to continue to lose weight the first thought would be to drop calories or do more cardio, only to find that your progress has come down to a screeching halt. This is called starvation mode, and your body is getting so little & working so hard that it refuses to lose weight. Keep your calories at -300 daily and when progress slows down reduce by another 100 calories until you need to asses again. Hope this helps
No harm done about the gender confusion lol, the problem with calculating calories is i work 60+ hours a week at a job that doesnt permit my phone use all that much so i dont really know how to get my calories down , when i started IF not that long ago i dropped 5 pounds but then that stopped, my up bringing doesnt help my poor judgement of food size and calories, could any one just give me an example of a good sized meal that will promote a better body comp, dont need to be too specific just enough for me to get an idea

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
No harm done about the gender confusion lol, the problem with calculating calories is i work 60+ hours a week at a job that doesnt permit my phone use all that much so i dont really know how to get my calories down , when i started IF not that long ago i dropped 5 pounds but then that stopped, my up bringing doesnt help my poor judgement of food size and calories, could any one just give me an example of a good sized meal that will promote a better body comp, dont need to be too specific just enough for me to get an idea
I would double what your eating now, make it 6 meals, 1 of them pre workout, 1 post workout, and 1 @ 9am... see how that feels.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
I would double what your eating now, make it 6 meals, 1 of them pre workout, 1 post workout, and 1 @ 9am... see how that feels.
I get up to train so maybe 2 scoops of whey with a table spoon of PB2 pre? Is that ok

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
Haha I completely understand the upbringing. Im italian, and my family very much embraces our culture including the food we eat! Lots of breads, cheeses, pastas and oils. You just need to stick to your goals and not let anything get in your way. Fitness Freak has given you some great advice, doubling up meals would be a great start and then adjust accordingly to weight loss and goals.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Guys i cant thank you enough for the help i really appreciate it, and yeh my mom (who is a healthcare professional) let me eat pasta, solely pasta, for the first six years of my life supplemented with extra soda lol. I am pretty excited to be able to eat more but is what i said about the whey pre and post good for a meal or should i eat something different, i know whole foods are king but time is kind of crunched. May make an accountability log soon

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
Guys i cant thank you enough for the help i really appreciate it, and yeh my mom (who is a healthcare professional) let me eat pasta, solely pasta, for the first six years of my life supplemented with extra soda lol. I am pretty excited to be able to eat more but is what i said about the whey pre and post good for a meal or should i eat something different, i know whole foods are king but time is kind of crunched. May make an accountability log soon
Get a meal replacement shake. :)

aceroni

Awards
He's right, you need more calories.

it's fine if you stop eating after eight, but you need to start eating a pre and post workout meal.

You don't need shakes, and you should stop drinking the aminos intra, as fat loss is your main goal.

aceroni

Awards
Diet looks like this
Fast from 8pm to 12pm workout 5 days a week
530am 12pm= 3 egg whites 1 whole egg 3 alices of turkey maybe 3oz and 1/2 medium sweet potato grilled with butter

3pm= baby spinach wwith turkey or grilled chicken- or chicken and quinoa

6pm- turkey and salad lately but some kind of lean meat and veggiea

Supplements Pre workout, bcaa during training, multi fish oil and soon forskolin Any critiques and advice is greatly appreciates

I also take a ZMA supp at night thats only been two weeks
Why don't you have a few eggs (3 whole?) before you train.

Post workout have your chicken and quinoa

Then eat everything else as planned. When you add these in maybe for your three pm meal try to drop the quinoa for the first week or two, see how your body responds.

As far as lifting stick to your compound lifts.

Do a few sprints to warmup, and or whatever else you need to do.

After you finish training do a few more rounds of sprints.

Do not sprint every day. Do start easy on them. Work your way into it.

Look into a strength training program. Follow it with conditioning work as I described above.

Alternate your cardio.
If you have the money for a sled, invest in it.
sprint with it behind you
Pull it backwards
Row it to you
All good stuff.

Check out elitefts.com they have a great exercise index.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Why don't you have a few eggs (3 whole?) before you train. Post workout have your chicken and quinoa Then eat everything else as planned. When you add these in maybe for your three pm meal try to drop the quinoa for the first week or two, see how your body responds. As far as lifting stick to your compound lifts. Do a few sprints to warmup, and or whatever else you need to do. After you finish training do a few more rounds of sprints. Do not sprint every day. Do start easy on them. Work your way into it. Look into a strength training program. Follow it with conditioning work as I described above. Alternate your cardio. If you have the money for a sled, invest in it. sprint with it behind you Pull it backwards Row it to you All good stuff. Check out elitefts.com they have a great exercise index.
Ill drop the bcaa, and i will so shakea because i most likely cant make myself something pre workout without waking my son. I think ill stick to my training now just alternate cardio. Thanks i appreciate rhe support

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
Ill drop the bcaa, and i will so shakea because i most likely cant make myself something pre workout without waking my son. I think ill stick to my training now just alternate cardio. Thanks i appreciate rhe support
I like BCAA a lot during cardio, you could use them then if wanted...

aceroni

Awards
He shouldn't be using them. He's thirty percent body fat

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
Being 30% bodyfat is high, but I cant see any harm in him taking bcaas. I will say that you should probably save your money though. At this point I would reccomend sticking to the diet and training and not distracting yourself with supplements. Maybe have a scoop or two of whey a day. Thats just my take on it.

aceroni

Awards
Why's that? Just curious.
Well his only goal at this point needs to be body fat reduction.

don't get me wrong I always drink aminos during training but i'm around ten percent and trying to gain muscle.

If you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of body fat

aceroni

Awards
Being 30% bodyfat is high, but I cant see any harm in him taking bcaas. I will say that you should probably save your money though. At this point I would reccomend sticking to the diet and training and not distracting yourself with supplements. Maybe have a scoop or two of whey a day. Thats just my take on it.
It wont hurt but it'll certainly slow down the process

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
Well his only goal at this point needs to be body fat reduction.

don't get me wrong I always drink aminos during training but i'm around ten percent and trying to gain muscle.

If you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of body fat
Aceroni, during cardio after the glycogen stores are depleted, not only does your body use fat as fuel, but it also dips in to skeletal muscle tissue in an effort to break down and turn into amino acids. Supplementing with bcaas helps offset this metabolic process, keeping you as anabolic (anti-catabolic) as possible. It is very unreasonable to say that cardio with bcaas makes the body use them for fuel, as it will give people the idea that they will not be burning any fat.

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
I was under the impression BCAA, in the most basic phrase, preserves muscle, and makes your body utilize fat/glycogen stores as a main energy source.

aceroni

Awards
Aceroni, during cardio after the glycogen stores are depleted, not only does your body use fat as fuel, but it also dips in to skeletal muscle tissue in an effort to break down and turn into amino acids. Supplementing with bcaas helps offset this metabolic process, keeping you as anabolic (anti-catabolic) as possible. It is very unreasonable to say that cardio with bcaas makes the body use them for fuel, as it will give people the idea that they will not be burning any fat.
yes you're right, he'll still be burning fat but to be honest he'll be using the aminos as fuel as well. You said it yourself.

aceroni

Awards
You're right but at thirty percent he's not going to be burning muscle.

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
I was under the impression BCAA, in the most basic phrase, preserves muscle, and makes your body utilize fat/glycogen stores as a main energy source.
During exercise the body will use all of its energy sources in an effort to be able to sustain the workload placed upon it. Its our job to try and bring that into our favor which is why bcaas can have a positive impact. When glycogen stores are depleted the body will shift to a preferred fuel source, this is when bcaas come in handy. You will always have some sort of lean muscle loss, to what degree is impossible to tell. But yes bcaas will help in being anti-catabolic (Muscle sparring) during cardio.

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
yes you're right, he'll still be burning fat but to be honest he'll be using the aminos as fuel as well. You said it yourself.
He will be using the animos as fuel, but not as a primary and exclusive fuel source as is suggested by your post when you said "if you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of bodyfat" Like I said, it is very unreasonable to say that when you train or do cardio with bcaas, you will not burn any fat. And thats an understatement. However I believe we all have some info to bring to the table here and I agree with you that he most likely wont be burning off any muscle at this point, which is why I advised him to save his money.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
He will be using the animos as fuel, but not as a primary and exclusive fuel source as is suggested by your post when you said "if you drink them during your body uses them as fuel, instead of bodyfat" Like I said, it is very unreasonable to say that when you train or do cardio with bcaas, you will not burn any fat. And thats an understatement. However I believe we all have some info to bring to the table here and I agree with you that he most likely wont be burning off any muscle at this point, which is why I advised him to save his money.
I appreciate all the advice from everyone, i was using bcaas because i was training fasted but i will no longer be doing that, so now its moot lol. I dont know if in truly 30% bf may be less but never been tested anyone have any visual cues that could help me guestimate better?

aceroni

Awards
A picture would help, but inbetween 20-30 it really is hard to tell a difference.

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Its not letting me up load basically im getting the feeling that at thirty i would be trememndosly fat which im noy my gut doesnt hang like it used to my face doesnt have too much fat its rele my man boobs mid section and love handles that hold alot

Fitness_Freak

Fitness_Freak

Awards
How much do you weigh and what is your bench, squat, and deadlift? If you really work hard with these movements along with cardio and your diet, then I'd assume you'd be obliterating the fat :)

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
How much do you weigh and what is your bench, squat, and deadlift? If you really work hard with these movements along with cardio and your diet, then I'd assume you'd be obliterating the fat :)
Well havin pushed my 1RM yet but dead lift was at 285 with a really bad form so excited to see how i am with good form, squat is 2 plates and a 25 for 3 and bench is embarrassing trying to build chest strenght i cant even get one plate up for more than one set of five

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
If u look at my accountability thread im trying a new split that should really boost fat loss

brobody

Awards
not enough protein nor carbs. i would not take your calories any lower that 1800 being 250lbs.just up calories and train hard. once you stop dropping weight add in 30 mins cardio 3 days a week.make sure its the same amount of calories burned everytime.i do mine on a treadmill on incline(no holding onto treadmill). once you stop loosing weight i would add in a day and so on.once you got to 5 or 6 days then add 10 mins to those days simple way to do it

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
Hey guys been a while since i posted, only dropped to 243 but put on sizable muscle in my upper body, ive concluded you were all right and i am not eating enough, but now my fear of eating too much is grappling with my want to progress, can someone give me a look into your daily eating thank you just to help me out

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Im 5'6"
179lbs

Today I had:
8oz turkey wrap, 1oz peanuts
Pre training - 25g isolate, 50g dextrose
Post training - 1lb 93/7 beef, 2 cups white rice, butter
2 cups cottage cheese, 1 whole box wheat thins
25g protein blend, banana, peanut butter
1 cup lime greek yogurt

brobody

Awards
My pre contest diet end of 9 weeks starting 8 weeks out mon is 240 protein, 230 cars, 70 hgrams fat. Mon is my refeed day where I get 200 grams protein keep fat low and eat as many carbs I can get in at 3000 cals for that day.now my diet is from stan jr a pro natty bodybuilder.I have been dropping weight quick he acually upped my cals and dropped out cardio

brobody

Awards
Shoot me a email and well work on your diet for a few weeks to help you out scottbruce21@ gmail .com

badfish419

badfish419

Awards
I wasnt able to email you, can you pm me by any chance?