Ideas to make oatmeal better

scottac29

Awards
Hey guys, anyone have any good recipes or ideas on how to make oatmeal in the morning more tolerable? Without being able to add much sugar to it, I think I'd enjoy eating cottage cheese over oatmeal. Does everyone use sugar because its the beginning of the day or do you grin and bear it and eat it plain?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Splenda and friut of your choice. :thumbsup:

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
I go with Splenda, raisins and some cinnamon. Tastes great.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Oatmeal?? Bleh...I eat my CoCo Wheats and love 'em. :D

supaman

Awards
a cup of oats with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, no sugar preserves,
and a bit of splenda is pretty good.

PB is addable, but it really doesnt add a lot of flavor and for me is a waste of
a PB serving.

If you add salt to things, 3 packets of splenda and a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of salt
in 1 cup of oats is awesome alone. THe salt really does wonders.

If you eat eggs as well, you could have oatmeal pancakes.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stella13.htm

takes some time.

And last, you could make some oatmeal protein energy bars, there are tons
of recipes for these floating around. The ones with brown rice syrup are best
with some splenda as well.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
cook your oatmeal in a big pot

add:

egg whites (stir them in. tastes good. i swear)
splenda
banana flavored protein powder (micellar casein)
banana slices

when you are done, you will have something that is kind of like a sweet banana porridge, and reminiscent of tapioca pudding as well

add a bit of cinnamon or vanilla extract if you want

this is REALLY good. i swear.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apples and cinammon is a good addition. Along with a bit of dry cottage cheese and vanilla or strawberry whey stirred in, I find that to taste quite good. I prepare my oats the night before eating them, and eat them cold. I prefer the taste/texture once it's been refrigerated overnight. I finally top it off with some sugar free pancake syrup for a bit of added sweetness, bit without any actual sugar.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
a cup of oats with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, no sugar preserves,
and a bit of splenda is pretty good.

You can also try cinnamon in place of the preserves. Add milk if it's too dry.

Another thing you can do is just blend it all up. Oats, whey, milk, splenda. Could add fruit or cinnamon, cottage cheese(you won't taste it), eggs, etc. It's a good thing to drink on the way to work.

RSX-S

Board Supporter
Awards
I add some vanilla protein, cinnamon, and either sugar-free syrup or honey.

Mmm, mmm good

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
raisins and cinnamon mmmm... ive also tried Extra and cinnamon and its good

maverick1.5

Awards
re

I use maple syrup made from splenda or sorbitol, it is only 10-35 calories per serving depending on the brand, & it makes eating oatmeal something to look forward too.I eat it as my morning dessert, i eat my eags, then turkey, & save the oatmeal for last. in the past i have used protein powders & had to force myself to eat it. hope that helps.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I mix in groumd flax and Dymatize butter cream toffee flavor protein, sometimes cinnamon. Probably tastes alot like the sugar free maple syrup recipe.

GoPower

Banned
Awards
I guess I am the odd one. I enjoy oats plain. Especially if they are rolled oats. I love the texture when its warm. Of course, I sometimes dress it up with the usual spices, sweetners and maybe some raisins, apples or cranberries.
I even like it when its cold. Somehow, its no different to me than a slice of bread. Except, its a lot more nutritious.
Funny thing, though, I hate quick cooked packets of oats. They taste like mush. I can understand why no one would like them.
Of course, you can always eat a cookie...:thumbsup:

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, that's awesome to see a guy who's obviously so passionate about his oatmeal. But your cookie statement just got my mind stuck on one thought, oatmeal cookies!

GoPower

Banned
Awards
Hey, you have to savor every moment, and every morsal. Otherwise, why are we doing this?
And wouldn't an oatmeal cookie sound good right? Thank goodness for bulking phases!

:p

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i mix a lil no sugar added berry "jam" in, it's like breakfast cobbler.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OH MY GOD, I think I just had the most delicious sounding food idea of all time, how about oatmeal cookie dough ice cream! I'm almost salivating at the thought....

GoPower

Banned
Awards
That actually sounds way beyond gross. OOPS! I meant that sounds like that might seriously offend my tastebuds, and my digestive system. I might be bulking, but not that much!

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Some chopped wallnuts and/or almonds add a nice texture as well as EFA's

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
This is a bit odd, but it works for me.

Spleda,cinnamon,spray butter, a bit of sugar free (splenda) log cabin suryp, and top with some chex cereal for texture. :)

spooler

Awards
I throw it in the blender, raw, with protein powder. Pulse it a few times and drink it.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
OH MY GOD, I think I just had the most delicious sounding food idea of all time, how about oatmeal cookie dough ice cream! I'm almost salivating at the thought....
they have it and it is so fucking amazing. my wife got it from a neighbor as a present when she had dental surgery - needless to say i ate the whole dam thing. i think it is ben and jerrys or something like that.

GoPower

Banned
Awards
Leave it to Ben & Jerry to come with yet another off-the-wall ice cream mix. But, how much of it do you really think is actually oatmeal? :think:

duckway

Board Supporter
Awards
Mix it in fat free yogurt.. And eat it before it gets soggy!:thumbsup:

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I add almonds, ground up flax seed, and mix in some "Steel Cut Oats" for texture. Yum Yum

Gumbo

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just throw it in a shake and put the blender on high.
what oatmeal lol it's all ground up now!

Pimp C

Awards
i like 1/2 cup oatmeal nuked in the microwave. then
i add 2 tbls Powerbutter and 2 scoops of BSN's lean
dessert protein the cinnamon roll flavor.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i like 1/2 cup oatmeal nuked in the microwave. then
i add 2 tbls Powerbutter and 2 scoops of BSN's lean
dessert protein the cinnamon roll flavor.
Damn, that sounds good! I need to try that - I usually eat oats twice a day.

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
anyone have any good recipes or ideas on how to make oatmeal in the morning more tolerable
Call me crazy, but I love this:

1 cup oatmeal
1.5 cups sweet corn
2 cups low-fat low-sodium chicken broth

Throw it all in a bowl, microwave for 7ish minutes, stirring once or twice. I like to add pepper and maybe a little basil.

-kwantam

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, anyone have any good recipes or ideas on how to make oatmeal in the morning more tolerable? Without being able to add much sugar to it, I think I'd enjoy eating cottage cheese over oatmeal. Does everyone use sugar because its the beginning of the day or do you grin and bear it and eat it plain?
A nice dash of salt makes a HUGE difference in the flavor of the oats, along with a few packets of splenda.

z28man

Awards
  • Established
PB, PB, PB, PB. I couldnt live without my natty PB and oats. Add a good amout of splenda and its mmmm mmmm good. Some might not like it as much but Im a frikkin PB junky! I have a whey shake and 1/4-1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese on the side. Ahhh, the perfect meal.

Stingray

Awards
IF you dont like the glopyness of cooked oats (I dont) heat some skim milk in the ol micro then add it to the dry oats (usualy with some splenda and some pumpkin pie spice). add enough milk so that its kinda liquidy and eat immediatly. good stuff

SR

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey, Guys - Just wanted to let you know that the Chocolate Mint Chip is finally available at All The Whey. If you want to order it and get a discount - just email me and I can give you the discount code........ We, at All The Whey, think that you are really gonna' like this new flavor.

And new recipes are on the way as well.

Thanks for everything and please let me know if I can ever help with any customer service concerns. I want you to have the best service and the best product.

Thanks. Laura

[email protected] - EMAIL FOR DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMW

Awards
  • Established
i can vouch for oatmeal pancake i make them at least 2-3 a week an i can honestly say i think they taste better that regular pancakes.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I make my pancake by just throwing my oats in egg whites (sometimes I'll grind them in a coffe grinder first) and stirring. Then dump on frying pan and cut into patties. Add Splenda, cinnamon, vanilla and S/F syrup.....MMMMMMM....waffle run-off

sawastea

Awards
Huge fan of DaVinci syrups, blueberries/strawberries and cinnamon.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oats + lecithin + cinnamon + honey.

Cook the oats like normal and add the other stuff at the end. Cook for 10secs more and eat. I sometimes add raisens and splenda too.

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How about honey and/or raisins? It works for me.

Laura

oh-honey

Awards
i like to add... splenda or honey + dried fruit (apricots, cranberries) or just a little cinnamon :thumbsup: