Completely Lost- HELP :(

Quizzle23

Awards
Hi Everyone, for the past 8-9 months my weight has been going up and down as well as my motivation. After reading articles and forums and watching videos and trying to remember what has worked and what has not. I am officially lost & I need help. All I want is to lose fat and maintain/increase muscle and see the results, that's not a lot to ask or so I thought. Everything is just all mixed up in my head, take this protein and that protein and CLA with OMEGAs and a side of BCAA and a hint of var. My diet was great and then I hit a wall and now I cant stand chicken and I'm up cooking for ever and I go to bed late b/c I have been cooking so I don't get enough sleep and blah blah blah. I just want to start over and I need help b/c I am getting in the way of my self. Plus flood me with detailed advice. Thanks

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
Caloric Intake

Energy balance is the primary dietary driver of body weight and it also impacts body composition. A chronic surplus of calories will result in increased body weight and a chronic deficit of calories will result in a loss of body weight.

In other words, in order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Thus, the first step in constructing any rational diet is to get a sense of how many calories per day, on average, you should consume in order to progress towards your goals.

The average number of calories you expend per day -- called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) -- is a function of your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your average weekly activity level.

To estimate your BMR, it's important to have a sense of how much lean body mass (LBM) you carry. If you're not sure, post a photo or two and we can estimate your percentage body fat and, from this number and your total body weight, it's easy to estimate LBM by using the following formula:
LBM = body weight * (1 - percentage body fat)

To estimate BMR, use the the Katch-McArdle formula:
BMR = 370 + (9.8 * LBM in pounds)
or
BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM in kg)

The next step is to estimate average weekly activity using the following guidelines to calculate an activity factor (AF):

• 1.1 - 1.2 = Sedentary (desk job, and little formal exercise, this will be most of you students)

• 1.3 - 1.4 = Lightly Active (light daily activity and light exercise 1-3 days a week)

• 1.5 - 1.6 = Moderately Active (moderately daily Activity & moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)

• 1.7 - 1.8 = Very Active (physically demanding lifestyle & hard exercise 6-7 days a week)

• 1.9 - 2.2 = Extremely Active (athletes in endurance training or very hard physical job)

To estimate TDEE (the calories at which you will neither gain nor lose tissue weight), use the following formula:
TDEE = BMR * AF

Now that you've estimated your TDEE, it's important to refine that estimate empirically. To do so, consume an average amount of calories equal to estimated TDEE for two weeks, monitoring weight change. The results will confirm your actual TDEE.

Once you know your actually TDEE, set your caloric intake to match your goals as follows:
To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.
To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.
To gain weight, consume 10% 20 20% more than TDEE.

Monitor weight change via the scale and also body composition via the mirror and how clothing fits, making adjustments as needed biweekly.

Macronutrient Intake

Protein: ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research.

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research.

ADDED SUGGESTIONS:
-prepare the majority of your meals all in one day. Store for the week.
-consistently train
-Sleep is of the utmost importance.

brolexander

brolexander

Awards
google.com , freedieting.com, leangains.com, exrx.net ....

Quizzle23

Awards
google.com , freedieting.com, leangains.com, exrx.net ....
Caloric Intake

Energy balance is the primary dietary driver of body weight and it also impacts body composition. A chronic surplus of calories will result in increased body weight and a chronic deficit of calories will result in a loss of body weight.

In other words, in order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Thus, the first step in constructing any rational diet is to get a sense of how many calories per day, on average, you should consume in order to progress towards your goals.

The average number of calories you expend per day -- called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) -- is a function of your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your average weekly activity level.

To estimate your BMR, it's important to have a sense of how much lean body mass (LBM) you carry. If you're not sure, post a photo or two and we can estimate your percentage body fat and, from this number and your total body weight, it's easy to estimate LBM by using the following formula:
LBM = body weight * (1 - percentage body fat)

To estimate BMR, use the the Katch-McArdle formula:
BMR = 370 + (9.8 * LBM in pounds)
or
BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM in kg)

The next step is to estimate average weekly activity using the following guidelines to calculate an activity factor (AF):

• 1.1 - 1.2 = Sedentary (desk job, and little formal exercise, this will be most of you students)

• 1.3 - 1.4 = Lightly Active (light daily activity and light exercise 1-3 days a week)

• 1.5 - 1.6 = Moderately Active (moderately daily Activity & moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)

• 1.7 - 1.8 = Very Active (physically demanding lifestyle & hard exercise 6-7 days a week)

• 1.9 - 2.2 = Extremely Active (athletes in endurance training or very hard physical job)

To estimate TDEE (the calories at which you will neither gain nor lose tissue weight), use the following formula:
TDEE = BMR * AF

Now that you've estimated your TDEE, it's important to refine that estimate empirically. To do so, consume an average amount of calories equal to estimated TDEE for two weeks, monitoring weight change. The results will confirm your actual TDEE.

Once you know your actually TDEE, set your caloric intake to match your goals as follows:
To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.
To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.
To gain weight, consume 10% 20 20% more than TDEE.

Monitor weight change via the scale and also body composition via the mirror and how clothing fits, making adjustments as needed biweekly.

Macronutrient Intake

Protein: ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research.

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research.

ADDED SUGGESTIONS:
-prepare the majority of your meals all in one day. Store for the week.
-consistently train
-Sleep is of the utmost importance.
Thank you guys I will get on this tonight!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
add some fish oil and Dexaprine to your arsenal for added effect.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't overcomplicate it man, what are your goals? Current weight and bf% and what are you doing calorie wise per day?

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Don't overcomplicate it man, what are your goals? Current weight and bf% and what are you doing calorie wise per day?
This. Need more info.

Quizzle23

Awards
This. Need more info.
I don't know what my BF% is, I have been looking for a place where I can go it get it done which I plan on doing this weekend. Right now I weigh 220 and my first goal is to drop about 35lbs of fat. My goal weight is unknown as I believe I am a mesomorph/endomorph & I don't know what weight I am "suppose" to be at but I know that is not the weight I want I just know how I want to look. My caloric intake differs from day to day, yesterday I probably ate between 1500-1700 cals. Most days I find it difficult to eat and will only eat once a day but it will be pretty clean. I did get my TDEE (from IIFYM) a while back & it is a massive amount of food to me, (86.5g of carbs, 220g protein, 88g fat, & 44-55g of fiber to total 2018 cal). To be completely honest I am so burnt out on eating anything in general, I feel like if my numbers are not 100% correct I am not going to get any benefit but at the same time if my numbers are correct I can't physically eat that much food. I wish I could just find a valid liquid regimen that gave me everything I needed and I could call it a day. The info bigbruiser739 & brolexander gave me was useful, and I am interested in "fasting" since I don't eat a lot but I am getting mix reviews about how it may cause muscle loss.

I know I am completely overcomplicating things and its driving me insane to be honest, I just don't know where to go from here.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
lets make things less complicated then shall we?? take you bw and multiply by 10.. as a rule of thumb try to stay close to that number on a daily basis for your calorie intake. fasting?? sure ... do that, then just make sure your getting adequate exercise and rest... as you loose more weight RECALCULATE your daily caloric numbers to reflect your new smaller frame. does this sound a little easier?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Exactly what R1pp said. Keep it simple. You sound like you are very overwhelmed with just simply eating. Take your weight x10 and call it good. If you want help with supps you can get some whey protein. If you want a "meal replacement" as it sounds like you want more a liquid diet, you can invest in Mass Gainz that would help for a meal. Would recommend always going whole food over anything else.