Weight Class Cut

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
Alright, so at the end of April I have state powerlifting and need to cut about 8 lbs of fat. How can I do this while still lifting twice a day and taking creatine and C4? I'm in the best shape of my life already and don't know how possible his is going to be. Any advice or plans? Thanks.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
This is definatly do able but it could be tricky trying to maintain strength. So its like a lb a week and I have no educated guess...hopeing other more knowledgable individuals can point you in the right direction. What's your bf if you don't mind me asking?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
You need to lose 8lbs in general?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rather than cut 8lbs of fat, why not cut 8lbs of water? What's the weight class you're going for, and are the weigh ins 2hrs or 24hrs? Keep your calories where they are, maybe clean up the diet to get nice and close, if you get to within seven pounds one week out, you're golden. Here's why:

One week out, cut out all carbs until weigh ins. Drink two gallons of water a day. Salt all your food in the beginning of the week, for at least the first couple days. Drop salt 2 days out from weigh ins, drop ALL water 18hrs from weigh ins. You're allowed ONE SIP each time you piss. Wake up early when you go to weigh in and if you're still over weight, hit the sauna for 10min on, 2min off until you make weight.

After you make weight, drink 2 gallons of half Gatorade, half water throughout the day, eat all the carbs and salt you can fit in your piehole every 2hrs, and do a light band workout after a couple meals. Your goal after weigh ins is to be heavier than you were at the beginning of the cut week. 10lbs over your weight class would be ideal. Then get a good night's sleep and crush some PRs.

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
The weigh-ins are a couple of hours before competition. I weigh 181 and am shooting for 173 if that helps thanks guys!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The weigh-ins are a couple of hours before competition. I weigh 181 and am shooting for 173 if that helps thanks guys!
Okay, in that case, you MUST be within 6 pounds for your cut, and you MUST be sure to shove as much food and gatorade as possible in the two hours before you start squatting. Drop any more water weight, and you'll be weak as a kitten. Also, if at any point during the week you get at or below 173, stop cutting and keep a normal zero carb, low salt and moderate water intake. Interesting, I've never heard of a 173lb weight class.

I'll let the guys who know how to diet tackle the dieting part. To set them up, let's hear how you structure your daily/weekly diet, macros, timing, et cetera. The more detail you can provide, the more help you'll receive.

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
Okay, in that case, you MUST be within 6 pounds for your cut, and you MUST be sure to shove as much food and gatorade as possible in the two hours before you start squatting. Drop any more water weight, and you'll be weak as a kitten. Also, if at any point during the week you get at or below 173, stop cutting and keep a normal zero carb, low salt and moderate water intake. Interesting, I've never heard of a 173lb weight class. I'll let the guys who know how to diet tackle the dieting part. To set them up, let's hear how you structure your daily/weekly diet, macros, timing, et cetera. The more detail you can provide, the more help you'll receive.
I ought to mention I will only be doing Bench Press because of a torn ACL. So any tips AFTER weigh in on what to eat would be great as well! As of now I typically eat a can of tuna with saltine crackers in the morning, as much meat, fruits, and vegetables the school will give me for lunch and typically egg whites and other stuff my parents cook for supper. I'm lifting at 9:30 and at 1:30 the 5 weekdays. Should I try cardio? I've heard that Cardio will get rid of muscle and fat. Do I keep taking creatine and C4 or do I cut it out? Thanks again guys.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After weigh in foods: Tall stack pancakes/waffles and syrup, breakfast potatoes, lots of eggs, biscuits with apple butter or jam, Coca Cola, your 50/50 gatorade/water, apple juice.

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
So basically lots of snacks with carbs, protein and sugar?

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I say do a little cardio. I'm not a fan of dehydrating before powerlifting. Just can't see that not effecting lifts.

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
This is off topic but do you think 10.3% bodyfat is an accurate measurement for me?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So basically lots of snacks with carbs, protein and sugar?
After weigh ins, the name of the game is carbs. Fast carbs. Then throughout the day eat regular carbs, some protein, PB&J, whatever you're used to. Protein is what you base your training cycle nutrition on, but meet day nutrition is all about the carbs.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I say do a little cardio. I'm not a fan of dehydrating before powerlifting. Just can't see that not effecting lifts.
It certainly can, depending on how replenishment goes. In OP's case, I'd be more concerned with the potential loss of muscle trying to diet off a pound a week while already at a very low bodyfat. That said, the best bet would be to meet in the middle of dieting and dehydration, leaning more toward dieting.

To be clear, I'm detailing the cut because I know how to cut and I have NO CLUE how to diet.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Do you have a link as to where you are competiting? 173lb class seems a little off.