Is it true some people really cant loose weight?

N

Natty22

Banned
Awards
If you have a thyroid condition does that mean you are stuck obese forever.

I always thought if you ate VERY clean and excercised you could at least trim down to a healthy weight.

Idk I was raised into a healthy diet and wanted a perfect physique, so I always though obesity was typically due to laziness + lack of self control. Should I be a little.more compassionate towards fat people..?

Say you ate brown rice, veggies, and chicken six times a day, but had a thyroid problem would you still be unhealthy fat?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think there might be a condition or a disease that could cause that, but for 99% of the fatties out there... yea, they should try the duct tape diet.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established

I always thought if you ate VERY clean and excercised you could at least trim down to a healthy weight.

Idk I was raised into a healthy diet and wanted a perfect physique, so I always though obesity was typically due to laziness + lack of self control. Should I be a little.more compassionate towards fat people..?

Say you ate brown rice, veggies, and chicken six times a day, but had a thyroid problem would you still be unhealthy fat?
There's any number of factors that play into obesity such as: thyroid issues, food addiction, depression, etc... I'd say the majority probably are just lazy or unwilling to give up certain foods and/or life styles but other things do factor into it. Some time ago they had one of those shows with a guy who was like 400+lbs and he was eating healthy food but in ridiculous amounts. He'd eat like 6 cans of tuna and 12 apples lol.

twistedwillow

twistedwillow

Awards
This is my first post here, so hell why not just jump into the deep end.

As one of the 'fatties' it really can be a massive struggle to lose weight.
I, myself, have thyroid issues, combined with PCOS ( Yeah I am a fem :) ) etc.
I have been anorexic, and bulimic, and currently obese. I was diagnosed with PCOS after I had my son, and the way the doctor phrased it was ... If I lived in a famine country I would be the one to survive. Basically I have the same appetite as Miss Average, but my body only needs about a third of the average daily requirements. It is very hard to remain motivated to lose weight when you are constantly hungry, battling cravings AND the scales still do not move.

Over the last 5 years I have gone from 155-ish kgs to 107 kgs, with the help of stomach stapling. That got me down to 120 kg and that is where I stayed.
Then in April last year I started walking to and from work so approx an hour cardio each day. Didn't change diet. Didn't lose weight. Cut out chocolate, chips etc, maintained walking. Lost 2 kg between June and October.
Starting stalking bodybuilding sites, got **** loads of information. Currently taking 50mcg T3, 25 in the morning and 25 in the arvo, and 8mg of Albuterol 4 in the am and 4 in the pm. And I have lost with the their help 11 kg, since the start of November.

You do also have to factor in depression and food addiction.
It is very, very difficult to remain positive and focused when nothing budges the scales. Regardless of how much you have to lose.
As for food addiction, unlike other addictions, gambling, drinking, drugs etc. You can't simply say that's it, I am never going to eat again. It has been 233 days since my last bite of food. You need food to survive, therefor your addiction is, so to speak, always in your face.

And just to put the food into a bit of perspective, no my diet is not 100% spot on. I don't have my macros etc down pat.
But yesterday for example, I had:

1 poached egg on toast with butter
1 porridge with whole fat milk
1 mixed leaf salad with a chicken leg and a tablespoon of dressing
2 bananas

Today was

1 6inch subway sub, steak, bacon, cheese, salads, chipotle sauce.
1 300 ml coke
1 cheese sandwich
1 banana
3 tablespoons of yoghurt.

Like I said, not 100% spot on, but not exactly "fattie" making food either.

Ok, well, that is my rant over. Sorry guys.
Oh yeah, and I am twisted. Hi :)

N

Natty22

Banned
Awards
There's any number of factors that play into obesity such as: thyroid issues, food addiction, depression, etc... I'd say the majority probably are just lazy or unwilling to give up certain foods and/or life styles but other things do factor into it. Some time ago they had one of those shows with a guy who was like 400+lbs and he was eating healthy food but in ridiculous amounts. He'd eat like 6 cans of tuna and 12 apples lol.
Ohh gosh...all the mental issues seem like something that could be broken

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Ohh gosh...all the mental issues seem like something that could be broken
Yea but these are things that usually keep people from succeeding... Think about it, if you hang around people who don't have a healthy life style it can be extremely difficult. Plus look at the studies done recently that point to sugar triggering "reward centers" in the brain similar to cocaine or even heroin. When people say they need help losing weight I don't think it is an issue of willingness but the lack reward for time spent eating healthy and going to the gym must be maddening when your used to instant gratification.

N

Natty22

Banned
Awards
Yea but these are things that usually keep people from succeeding... Think about it, if you hang around people who don't have a healthy life style it can be extremely difficult. Plus look at the studies done recently that point to sugar triggering "reward centers" in the brain similar to cocaine or even heroin. When people say they need help losing weight I don't think it is an issue of willingness but the lack reward for time spent eating healthy and going to the gym must be maddening when your used to instant gratification.
That is a good way of looking at it...sculpting your body is very rewarding, but takes a lot of time. I could see how thats discouraging for some.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think this is a complex question - losing weight, especially when you don't have healthy habits is hard. It can seem so hard that it is near impossible to some.

I think we like to blame it on will power - if you can do it you hit the cosmic will power lottery and have strong will power, if you can't do it then you just don't have enough will power. A lot of behavioral science suggests this simply isn't the case.

I read a book once on changing behaviors, and the author posed the following thoughts: Think about how much TV you watch. Now think about where your TV is in relation to your daily activities? Now think about where most people place their treadmill - in the basement. Now ask yourself, how much TV would you watch if you moved your TV into the basement and you had to go down there to use it?

Most of the time their are strong environmental influences that play into our decisions. There are also "gate keepers" - people who basically choose which decisions will be available to us. In my house, my girlfriend does all the grocery shopping and if she buys all junk, I have no choice but to eat junk - or make trips to the store myself. I have to get her involved in my decisions so that I can be successful in my attempts.

In another example, I have people that I know that are heavy pot smokers or drinkers. These people tend to have other friends they hang out with regularly that have the same issues. In their life, the vast majority of their examples are of people with these issues - so when they see someone who doesn't have the issue that person is "weird". It is pretty hard for them to beat these problems when their friends are giving them bad examples and they don't have solid examples of any other way of living. We can't do something if we are unaware of the possibility.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who make decisions and change their lives for the better. Very few people who lose weight keep it off for more than 2 years, so it is a very complex issue that isn't just someone being lazy necessarily.

So, maybe some people can't lose weight - but as stated above, 99% can - and for the vast majority of those people, losing weight will be hard and require many changes.

N

Natty22

Banned
Awards
Very nice outlook on environment factors. It also answered my quedtion that i therr body is capable, but mentally they are not capable

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

If you have a thyroid problem and your getting medication for it weight loss should not be a problem.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established

I know a guy whos been overweight most of his life, and used to not care what he ate. However years ago the doctor told him he had to start eating healthy or he was going to have a heart attack due to high blood pressure. No matter how healthily he ate he didnt really loose much weight and got diagnosed with a slow thyroid. However, the doctor says his blood test readings (cholestrol, blood pressure etc.) are now perfect, in spite of him being fairly overweight. So yes, in that sense you can be a healthy fat.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know a guy whos been overweight most of his life, and used to not care what he ate. However years ago the doctor told him he had to start eating healthy or he was going to have a heart attack due to high blood pressure. No matter how healthily he ate he didnt really loose much weight and got diagnosed with a slow thyroid. However, the doctor says his blood test readings (cholestrol, blood pressure etc.) are now perfect, in spite of him being fairly overweight. So yes, in that sense you can be a healthy fat.
There is no such thing as healthy obese.

brolexander

brolexander

Awards
There is no such thing as healthy obese.
There actually are over weight people with blood pressure, cholesterol, and plenty other health indicators in good spots :p
Aside from the extra weight they have, they're in good health

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
There actually are over weight people with blood pressure, cholesterol, and plenty other health indicators in good spots :p
Aside from the extra weight they have, they're in good health
I will repeat...There's no such thing as healthy obese. There are more things to consider. Dental health, skin health, lung health, heart health, insulin resistance, thyroid function, neuro transmitter health ect ect. These things don't show on a standard blood test*except for thyroid* .
Blood test can be a poor indicator of health. *note I said can*
Also increased risk for conditions.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pyrobatt - define healthy please.

I strongly disagree, but I guess it depends on your definition of healthy.

My definition of healthy is being able to do the most work with the least effort. This allows for health to be viewed along a continuum, but also allows that an obese person can be "healthy".

Being overweight has also been shown to indicate a reduced mortality over being what is considered "normal" weight. Being obese indicates a similar mortality to "normal" weight. Obesity has even less relevance on overall health than a blood test, when taken by itself. Factors that lead to obesity (lack of exercise, over eating and poor diet, physical ailments) and factors that are enhanced by obesity (many of the same factors - the heavier you are, the harder it is to start that exercise program you've been avoiding for instance) are the real culprits and not the obesity itself.

I would pose that someone who is 30 pounds overweight but works out regularly and eats fewer processed foods would be much healthier than the stick thin couch potato who thinks lifting the remote is exercise and eats TV dinners every night but doesn't seem to gain weight anyway (and they are out there).

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pyrobatt - define healthy please.

I strongly disagree, but I guess it depends on your definition of healthy.

My definition of healthy is being able to do the most work with the least effort. This allows for health to be viewed along a continuum, but also allows that an obese person can be "healthy".

Being overweight has also been shown to indicate a reduced mortality over being what is considered "normal" weight. Being obese indicates a similar mortality to "normal" weight. Obesity has even less relevance on overall health than a blood test, when taken by itself. Factors that lead to obesity (lack of exercise, over eating and poor diet, physical ailments) and factors that are enhanced by obesity (many of the same factors - the heavier you are, the harder it is to start that exercise program you've been avoiding for instance) are the real culprits and not the obesity itself.

I would pose that someone who is 30 pounds overweight but works out regularly and eats fewer processed foods would be much healthier than the stick thin couch potato who thinks lifting the remote is exercise and eats TV dinners every night but doesn't seem to gain weight anyway (and they are out there).
Please explain why it is okay to be 300+ lbs. Even at my height. Joint, back and neck pain/damage is prevalent.

Just because you can work doesn't mean your healthy. You can be active, athletic and still get type 2 diabetes.

300 lbs+ will probably turn into joint pain/problems later. Problems later is my definition. Generally people who are athletic or normal weight have less problems later in life.

The exception to the rule on my "saying you can't lose weight is bull ****" thing is the people who have the genetics to be 400+ lbs. These people have genetic traits that make them blow up 200lbs in a year. Some freakish fat genes right there.

Please explain to me how overconsumption of day to day food for say...40 years doesn't become unhealthy.
You have explained the short term mentality that give fat people an excuse to be fat like being able to work now ect but please explain to me what you think is going to happen in 30 years of unhealthy living. I'd be interested to hear that.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am not saying it is "generally" healthy to be fat. You made the comment that there is no such thing as being fat and being healthy. This is simply not true. I am 5'8'' and weight 285 about a year ago. I've lost 40 pounds and put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle in that time frame. At 245 I can run a mile, my blood pressure is 125/75, I can move, and I have been in situations where I have out worked my cousin who runs marathons.

Your definition doesn't define anything. "Problems later on" describes almost ANY health condition. How many top athletes have "problems later on"? Basketball players have tons of knee problems, etc. Actually, what is very unhealthy for you is the act of exercise itself. Yes, exercise itself is unhealthy. The effects of exercise, especially intense exercise, can be very healthy though.

You also ask me to have something explained, and then you explain it. Some people have some major fat genes. And some people have some major skinny genes. And there is an entire continuum between. Many people will be considered "overweight" despite eating somewhat healthy and having a moderately healthy lifestyle.

Does this mean they are doomed to be overweight? No - they just have to go from a moderately healthy lifestyle to a crazy healthy lifestyle to see results.

Myself as a fat ass example - in order to get to 285, yes I did some very, very unhealthy things. I was lazy and screwed up. Now, a year later, I am pretty healthy, if still obese. Do I have a way to go? Yes - but I'm a lot healthier than a lot of people I work with who are taller and thinner than me, but huff and puff as they come up the stairs. While my blood pressure is not great, it is a lot lower than many of theirs too. Am I healthy? No. I am somewhere along the way - but there are people that could carry the fat I have, and have the genes that make it such that they are still healthy.

I guess the point is, there are many factors involved, being simply fat or thin is not the determining factor. It is what got you there that is the determining factor. Poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, etc. are all factors.

And, to your point, the reason I started working out again is because I looked at my grandmother who is in her 80's and is losing her ability to stand up because of bad knees (and she wasn't very over-weight, but slightly), my dad who is in his 60's and is losing his ability to walk because of bad knees (very over weight), and me. I realized that at 33 years old, I had the ability to turn this ship much more easily than if I waited another 20 years. So your points are well taken, I just wouldn't say that there is no such thing...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, even at 285 at 5'8'' I have never had any joint pain. The ONLY time in my life I ever had joint pain was when I had some serious shoulder pain from lifting weights in my very early 20's, probably at a weight of 190. I knock on wood for this, because I have some strong joints apparently, and I credit a lot of my lack of pain to strong muscles around my joints that I built up in my teens and kept even as I became obese. I'm lucky like that so far.

But nothing will cause joint pain like exercise - obese or not. So, just to play devil's advocate a little more (and maybe piss you off a little more, hehe, j/k) - if being healthy is doing what helps you avoid "problems in the future" - tell me how it is OK to go bench press every week, run 5 miles a day, or do any of the work necessary to keep this weight off?

There are a number of people on this site in FAR better shape from a weight/physique perspective than I who have CONSTANT joint pain. How is that OK using your definition?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd rather have some sore joints then a heart attack but that's just me.

Also joint wear and tear from exercise is primarily from lack of knowledge....supplementation, form, rest.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not saying it is "generally" healthy to be fat. You made the comment that there is no such thing as being fat and being healthy. This is simply not true. I am 5'8'' and weight 285 about a year ago. I've lost 40 pounds and put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle in that time frame. At 245 I can run a mile, my blood pressure is 125/75, I can move, and I have been in situations where I have out worked my cousin who runs marathons.

Your definition doesn't define anything. "Problems later on" describes almost ANY health condition. How many top athletes have "problems later on"? Basketball players have tons of knee problems, etc. Actually, what is very unhealthy for you is the act of exercise itself. Yes, exercise itself is unhealthy. The effects of exercise, especially intense exercise, can be very healthy though.

You also ask me to have something explained, and then you explain it. Some people have some major fat genes. And some people have some major skinny genes. And there is an entire continuum between. Many people will be considered "overweight" despite eating somewhat healthy and having a moderately healthy lifestyle.

Does this mean they are doomed to be overweight? No - they just have to go from a moderately healthy lifestyle to a crazy healthy lifestyle to see results.

Myself as a fat ass example - in order to get to 285, yes I did some very, very unhealthy things. I was lazy and screwed up. Now, a year later, I am pretty healthy, if still obese. Do I have a way to go? Yes - but I'm a lot healthier than a lot of people I work with who are taller and thinner than me, but huff and puff as they come up the stairs. While my blood pressure is not great, it is a lot lower than many of theirs too. Am I healthy? No. I am somewhere along the way - but there are people that could carry the fat I have, and have the genes that make it such that they are still healthy.

I guess the point is, there are many factors involved, being simply fat or thin is not the determining factor. It is what got you there that is the determining factor. Poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, etc. are all factors.

And, to your point, the reason I started working out again is because I looked at my grandmother who is in her 80's and is losing her ability to stand up because of bad knees (and she wasn't very over-weight, but slightly), my dad who is in his 60's and is losing his ability to walk because of bad knees (very over weight), and me. I realized that at 33 years old, I had the ability to turn this ship much more easily than if I waited another 20 years. So your points are well taken, I just wouldn't say that there is no such thing...
You're referencing pro athletes. I'm referring to being athletic. Pro athletes are 9 times out a 10 on performance enhancing drug. Coupled with very extreme training and yes. ..Joint problems.

If your joints hurt from exercise then you need to work on form and flexibility. You shouldn't be hurting from exercise.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd rather have some sore joints then a heart attack but that's just me.

Also joint wear and tear from exercise is primarily from lack of knowledge....supplementation, form, rest.
Your risk of mortality is not necessarily greater from being obese. Actually, the highest mortality rates are among people who are underweight, with the best mortality rates being people who are "overweight". Obese people and "normal" people have about the same mortality rate.

But I agree - a heart attack would preferably be prevented - which is more of a factor of exercise and other factors. Some people will exercise and become "healthy" without dropping all of the fat is the point.

Pyrobatt - I'm referencing pro-athletes but you are referencing people who are morbidly obese and can put on over 200 pounds? I don't see your point? I'd say they are the pro's of obesity. You are using the extreme on one side, I went to the extreme on the other. I did mention, and this is the majority of my point actually, that there is a continuum.

Again, my point isn't that people are going to be healthier when they are fat. My point is that people CAN be fat and healthy. There is a difference.

Further, people can be fat and be athletic. I've seen fat people who were great at sports.

And my point further is that you define healthy as "not having problems later", but even the casual runner is taking a risk that he gets injured and has a problem later.

However, to the original point - it is HARDER to be healthy and fat than most people think. Myself as an example. I started lifting, again, because I just wanted to be able to move and be "healthier" - I didn't make drastic changes to my diet. All I did was start working out 2-4X per week, sometimes for as little as 20 minutes/workout. I keep things intense. But just that "small" change in activity has yielded almost 60 pounds of fat lost in a little over a year. Over time, that "small" investment will add up and most people will lose the weight. If you are doing healthy things, most people will start to "look" like what we think healthy should look like. But not all.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
laneanders

laneanders

Awards
People can always lose weight if they are on an adequate caloric deficit. This can be achieved many different ways and indiscriminate of other factors. The problem is always going to be calculating the actual amount of calories needed for maintenance as this can be impacted by many factors. Generally speaking adequate calorie deficit coupled with an adequate training program can result in weight loss in the vast majority of the populace. A few people might need the extra push of a thermogenic like Dexaprine, but even people with thyroid issues can lose weight.

This is a good thread btw, I enjoyed reading it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is a good thread, and I've been thinking of it from time to time over the past few days. A couple of thoughts have come to me. I think that the laws of thermodynamics are not understood by many people, and as Laneanders mentioned - people can always "lose weight" with a caloric deficit. If you don't believe this, go to the logical extreme - if you take in 0 calories, you will lose weight. No matter what your problem is, it will happen. It will be faster for some than others, and eventually you will lose ALL of the weight (death). Since we can't stop eating, it really is a matter of finding the correct ratios of how much to take in vs. how much you burn. The basics will apply to everyone. Thyroid issues, health issues, whatever.

The details may change for some because, you need to eat some food, and your body may be predisposed to partitioning things in certain ways, which means you need such an extreme caloric deficit that it becomes difficult to maintain. This is where some trickery can be useful - and understanding the value of LBM, metabolic issues, etc. become somewhat important.

As far as the healthy fat thing - I have been thinking about how this applies to society, because I think this is a way of thinking that is the root of some of our problems. We have the cause/effect backwards I guess.

Most people in society are taught that being fat makes you unhealthy. I think the truth is that being unhealthy often makes you fat. You are unhealthy before you get fat, not fat before you become unhealthy. You may have a disorder, but 99% of the time it is that you are "being" unhealthy through your actions. You are eating too much, not getting exercise, being lazy, eating the wrong things, etc. Most of the time, people do something unhealthy to become fat, they don't become fat and that causes them to be unhealthy. I think this is the twist that aligns Pyrobatt's thoughts with my own more clearly.

I don't believe being fat means automatically you are unhealthy though, just as being unhealthy doesn't automatically mean you are fat. There is a large continuum, but 90+% of people fall in a normal range on that continuum, while others will be on the lean side and be healthy and others will be on the fat side and be healthy. I think that being fat is one indicator, just as having a blood test is one indicator that can be a poor reference. It is the big picture that needs to be assessed....

J

JackAlbertson

Awards
This is true that many people can't lose weight because of lack of information and ideas about exercise and diet. For losing weight regular exercise is important and diet is also very useful. For more information and ideas about weight lose just contact with me.

B

brobody

Awards
I had same problems and went from 340 to 170 then built up.they saif It was near imposibble for me to loose weight and keep it off.people use diagnosis to stay fat or make excuses I get so tired of people with the same problems I have whinning about it or getting lap bands or stomach staples there is no reason for it if god wanted you to have a band around ur stomach u would have one.ok ok I'm done just saying don't be lazy

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I have Hashimoto's which is a thyroid condition. It is not being treated due to the nature of the disease-which SUCKS might I add! However, I have lost from 200lbs/43%bf to 135lbs/19%bf with just plain training hard and eating clean. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck at a plateau that I'm trying to figure out how to break...So, to answer your question- it is possible for them to loose weight-it's just MUCH more challenging than the average person. Calorie deficits needed are usually much much lower! It can become quite frustrating especially if you don't have the knowledge on proper nutrition or training. Women, especially tend to go the eating disorder route due to the frustration! ie: not eating for days and then binging

B

brobody

Awards
What is your diet, training and cardio like?

B

brobody

Awards
There is "if" fasting, there is carb cycling, zig zag calorie, keto diet.it usually all comes down to calories in vs calories out.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is your diet, training and cardio like?
Diet: approx 1500 calories
Protein at least 1g per lb
Carbs 150g
Fat less than 40g

Training: Lift heavy 4-5 days a week

Cardio: 30 min of HIIT 4-5x's a week and one day LISS cardio 30+ mins

I have a log for more details.

B

brobody

Awards
Height, weight shoot me log so I can see your training. How many time a week do you lift what's your split like?

B

brobody

Awards
Shoot me a pm and I can help if needed.there is a ton of ways to bust thru the plateau. Carb cycling has worked wonders for me as did if fasting.depends on your schedule needs

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Height, weight shoot me log so I can see your training. How many time a week do you lift what's your split like?
5'5" 135, M-back/bis followed by 30 min of sprints, T-chest/tris/abs 30 min sprints, W- sprints or occasional rest day, Th-shoulders/abs 30 min sprints, F- Legs LISS 30+ min, S&S- family days
I just started my log so not all of my training routines aren't posted yet. They will be by the end of the week! :)http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4427074

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Kat, my advice to you is to cut back on your training a little. I'd cut the HITT down to 2-3X per week, heavy training to about 2-3X per week. That is if you are doing truly hard HIIT where you are going all out. 20 minutes of intervals with all-out intensity will drain you. 3 sessions a week of heavy lifting will drain you. It isn't about draining, it is about creating a deficit.

You are working very hard, and you are getting GREAT results from it. I wouldn't look at this current situation as a plateau. You have lost about 1/3 of your bodyweight!!! Your body is going to want to stop. This is where long term success comes into play I think. This is where I would take a short (2-3 week) break and reefed a little. Don't go crazy, just allow yourself to eat maybe 1800-2000 calories/day and drop back on your training a little. Maybe you gain 5 pounds back over 3 weeks. But you will be positioning yourself for new weight loss and more importantly, correcting some metabolic damage that may have occurred from the 65 pound drop in weight. It will also give your body some time to respond to the weight training and actually build some muscle, which will give you a very slight increase in metabolism - but even slight increases add up over time and improve your chance of long-term success.

Keep up the great work!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Kat, my advice to you is to cut back on your training a little. I'd cut the HITT down to 2-3X per week, heavy training to about 2-3X per week. That is if you are doing truly hard HIIT where you are going all out. 20 minutes of intervals with all-out intensity will drain you. 3 sessions a week of heavy lifting will drain you. It isn't about draining, it is about creating a deficit. You are working very hard, and you are getting GREAT results from it. I wouldn't look at this current situation as a plateau. You have lost about 1/3 of your bodyweight!!! Your body is going to want to stop. This is where long term success comes into play I think. This is where I would take a short (2-3 week) break and reefed a little. Don't go crazy, just allow yourself to eat maybe 1800-2000 calories/day and drop back on your training a little. Maybe you gain 5 pounds back over 3 weeks. But you will be positioning yourself for new weight loss and more importantly, correcting some metabolic damage that may have occurred from the 65 pound drop in weight. It will also give your body some time to respond to the weight training and actually build some muscle, which will give you a very slight increase in metabolism - but even slight increases add up over time and improve your chance of long-term success. Keep up the great work!
Thank you for your sweet comments and great tips! You're probably right! I am totally drained and basically crash on the weekends when I finally rest! I drag through the rest of the week! The only time I've taken to recover was spending 5 days in the hospital and 2 wks recovering after gallbladder surgery! Lol I enjoy it so much but I definitely want more results! :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, keep in mind that if you are trying to lose weight, muscle is your friend!! You are lifting weights so I think you realize this. The way it works is stimulate, recover, grow - 3 steps. You are stimulating, maybe recovering, and then stimulating again. You have to give yourself time to grow. More is NOT better. There is a specific amount that you need and doing more isn't helpful. Keep up the good work!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, keep in mind that if you are trying to lose weight, muscle is your friend!! You are lifting weights so I think you realize this. The way it works is stimulate, recover, grow - 3 steps. You are stimulating, maybe recovering, and then stimulating again. You have to give yourself time to grow. More is NOT better. There is a specific amount that you need and doing more isn't helpful. Keep up the good work!
Yes, I do realize that and I'd like to gain muscle and lose the fat! Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I will try to give more time for growth!! :) Have an awesome day!

lewishunter2

lewishunter2

Awards
Wow

Hey guys I'm new here and love the thread very interesting views from many perspectives.
I'm 37 and am in morbid obese bracket standing at 5.10 weighting at 136.6kgs @ my heaviest my current weight is now 105.1 with a loss of 30kgs give or take over 12months time period.
I have a long way to go I know that! Mu point is that I have changed my lifestyle which is in my case what was needed to become a healthier me then the weight loss came with it! So to some my situation up, I wanted to lose weight to become healthier but in fact, I need to become healthier in general to lose the weight !
Please I am here to learn as much as I can to be a better me, so I welcome any help suggestions that anyone has to offer only journey!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey guys I'm new here and love the thread very interesting views from many perspectives. I'm 37 and am in morbid obese bracket standing at 5.10 weighting at 136.6kgs @ my heaviest my current weight is now 105.1 with a loss of 30kgs give or take over 12months time period. I have a long way to go I know that! Mu point is that I have changed my lifestyle which is in my case what was needed to become a healthier me then the weight loss came with it! So to some my situation up, I wanted to lose weight to become healthier but in fact, I need to become healthier in general to lose the weight ! Please I am here to learn as much as I can to be a better me, so I welcome any help suggestions that anyone has to offer only journey!
Welcome! I'm newer here as well! Awesome job on all you have done so far!! Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud! Keep up those positive lifestyle changes and the results will continue to follow!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey guys I'm new here and love the thread very interesting views from many perspectives.
I'm 37 and am in morbid obese bracket standing at 5.10 weighting at 136.6kgs @ my heaviest my current weight is now 105.1 with a loss of 30kgs give or take over 12months time period.
I have a long way to go I know that! Mu point is that I have changed my lifestyle which is in my case what was needed to become a healthier me then the weight loss came with it! So to some my situation up, I wanted to lose weight to become healthier but in fact, I need to become healthier in general to lose the weight !
Please I am here to learn as much as I can to be a better me, so I welcome any help suggestions that anyone has to offer only journey!
This is what I was saying earlier in the thread! Thanks for saying it better - most people are overweight because they are unhealthy, not unhealthy because they are fat. Great job! What you describe is very similar to my situation.

karenduff

karenduff

Awards
Many people carrying excess fat have developed something called leptin resistance. Meaning, all those fat cells may be sending out lots of leptin, but your brain isn't getting the message.

B

brobody

Awards
It all boils down to calories in vs calories out.if you have low calories to maintain weight already then cardio is best bet, or a weight lifting program

M

made2last

Awards
Many people carrying excess fat have developed something called leptin resistance. Meaning, all those fat cells may be sending out lots of leptin, but your brain isn't getting the message.
Thank you Karen, nobody mentioned leptin resistance and that's the key reason some can't achieve an ideal weight. Yes some will respond to an improved diet, but ultimately the natural thermostat for that person is set to obese that's why it's a "struggle" for those ppl. So to answer the post, no, some people can't get down to a normal BMI because of leptin resistance.

M

made2last

Awards
It all boils down to calories in vs calories out.if you have low calories to maintain weight already then cardio is best bet, or a weight lifting program
Leptin resistance controls your energy output so it limits your ability to control "calories out" tremendously, not saying every obese person is leptin resisitant, some ppl do well with lifestyle changes, but it doesn't apply to all obese ppl either