Honey? - AnabolicMinds.com

Honey?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member

Honey?

Is there an acceptable form of honey we can eat if fat loss is the goal?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

I dont know what you mean by eating honey, how much do you plan to eat ? but you can eat in breakfast, not so much but a few teaspoon or maybe after trainings. The important point is you need to be careful if its real honey or added artificial sugar.
    Chechen Bratva
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Doesn't really matter what form of honey you use as long as you fit it into your daily calories/carbs. 1 teaspoon honey = 64 calories 17 grams carbs.
    www.farrisintensitytraining.co m
    •   

4. New Member

Thank you
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I eat honey in my oatmeal every morning. I prefer it to sugar.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Get real honey, not the liquid(syrupy) crap.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    Get real honey, not the liquid(syrupy) crap.
    U mean the one thats set?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Raw, unpasteurized honey...
    If u must, lolz...
  9. New Member

I have a major sweet tooth thats all, what do u do if you crave something sweet?
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by a312 View Post
    I have a major sweet tooth thats all, what do u do if you crave something sweet?
    I count down the days till my next cheat meal..
    Than I go hard my friend!! U can polish off six doughnuts , and a container of ice cream all in one sitting...
    After a huge sweet fix, I'm usually good for the week..
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.

Oops I meant to say I, not u lol...^^^
  12. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    I count down the days till my next cheat meal..
    Than I go hard my friend!! U can polish off six doughnuts , and a container of ice cream all in one sitting...
    After a huge sweet fix, I'm usually good for the week..
    This! I do not have honey during a cut, but that doesn't mean you couldn't... I would add it in post workout, as your body utilizes the fast acting carbohydrates better then than the slower acting...
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.

Ok ok, I will b honest ....
    My cheat meal is on saturdays, but even a month out I was mega craving sweets by Wednesday...
    So I would break down n have a piece of dark chocolate and a diet Pepsi , ha ha...
    What helped me with stopping at just one piece was the protein I consumed prior to my guilty pleasure...
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    Ok ok, I will b honest ....
    My cheat meal is on saturdays, but even a month out I was mega craving sweets by Wednesday...
    So I would break down n have a piece of dark chocolate and a diet Pepsi , ha ha...
    What helped me with stopping at just one piece was the protein I consumed prior to my guilty pleasure...
    Honesty is the best policy!
    Beast Mode.... All Day... Every Day...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240363-deak007s-training-log.html#post4306457
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.

Honey is really helpful in weight loss.
  16. Advanced Member

Really? In what regard? Where did you get the info honey can help weight loss?
  17. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Really? In what regard? Where did you get the info honey can help weight loss?
    This! The only thing I can think of is supplementing honey in post workout, since your body craves simple carbs... other than that... i got nothing...
    Beast Mode.... All Day... Every Day...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240363-deak007s-training-log.html#post4306457
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

I add it in my oatmeal also along with dashes of cinnamon and pb. I can't wait till the morning now just to indulge in my breakfast!!
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'll have about a teaspoon every morning.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  20. Banned

Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

There's nothing wrong with honey, or even pure sugar, on a diet. You should have a calorie goal, and if you want honey, just eat it and note how many calories it has. The only "problem" with calorie dense foods when dieting is that they don't provide much satiety nor much volume, so you use up your daily allotment of calories quickly. For example a squirt of honey probably has the same calories as a whole cup or two of broccoli. Which do you think will keep you fuller for longer? No need to avoid sugars unless you're diabetic!
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

But honey tastes better.... I can't drizzle broccoli over my sweet potatoe fries
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  23. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    But honey tastes better.... I can't drizzle broccoli over my sweet potatoe fries
    Ha, nope guess you can't! My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is to peel one, dice it to 1/2" chunks or so, microwave it, then sprinkle a packet of Splenda over them followed by some cinnamon. No extra calories and it tastes great. To be honest I still haven't figured out a good way to spice up broccoli :/
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Garlic butter works for me
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

There is a thread somewhere around here that I gave a list of a lot of things I make when I get a sweet tooth. If its right after training I indulge a "little" but if its after dinner my main go to thing now is a protein brownie.

Whey Protean
    Muscle Egg
    Mix, microwave, done!

If you love dark chocolate like me, a little sprinkle of cocoa powder on top works great.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    There's nothing wrong with honey, or even pure sugar, on a diet. You should have a calorie goal, and if you want honey, just eat it and note how many calories it has. The only "problem" with calorie dense foods when dieting is that they don't provide much satiety nor much volume, so you use up your daily allotment of calories quickly. For example a squirt of honey probably has the same calories as a whole cup or two of broccoli. Which do you think will keep you fuller for longer? No need to avoid sugars unless you're diabetic!
    How do you think diabetics are made? There is plenty of research out there showing the detrimental effects of sugar on the human body, it's effects on the brain etc. I don't think that, just because you can't immediately see or feel the effects of something, you can say with 100% certainty that it's not doing your health any harm.

That being said, I do think that there may be some benefit to keeping your blood sugar levels stable if you're looking to lose weight. You'll feel a lot more satiated if you keep your blood sugar levels stable without extreme peaks and troughs.

Many bodybuilders develop hyperinsulinemia as a result of the 'no need to avoid sugars so lets constantly spike our insulin with simple carbs and whey' mentality. I think there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat (the cat being optimal body composition) and sometimes the old thinking of needing to get carbs in post workout, etc. with a protein shake may not be as accurate as we first thought.
    Genki-Do: Because the Road to Success is Always Under Construction - genki-do.blogspot.com
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches are one of my favorite post-workout meals.
    Remember why you started.
  28. Enhanced Body Formulations

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ilia_p View Post

How do you think diabetics are made? There is plenty of research out there showing the detrimental effects of sugar on the human body, it's effects on the brain etc. I don't think that, just because you can't immediately see or feel the effects of something, you can say with 100% certainty that it's not doing your health any harm.

That being said, I do think that there may be some benefit to keeping your blood sugar levels stable if you're looking to lose weight. You'll feel a lot more satiated if you keep your blood sugar levels stable without extreme peaks and troughs.

Many bodybuilders develop hyperinsulinemia as a result of the 'no need to avoid sugars so lets constantly spike our insulin with simple carbs and whey' mentality. I think there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat (the cat being optimal body composition) and sometimes the old thinking of needing to get carbs in post workout, etc. with a protein shake may not be as accurate as we first thought.
    There's some validity to that. But I digress ;

Honey is glucose and fructose but I believe isomaltulose is found in there as well which is a sugar that is slow digesting and made into a supplement as a GRAS sweetener

Here's a study on isomaltulose and insulin (is reducing the spikes is what you want)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19671200/

So palantinose would be your product in this respect
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  29. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

The kind you eat. Just fit it in.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  30. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ilia_p View Post

Actually, I used to think a high GI diet led to diabetes also, however this has never been proven in research. Check this article:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-sc...rb-a-carb.html

Even diabetes foundations admit a high sugar diet is not directly linked to type 2 diabetes. Research shows a link between obese people and type 2 diabetes forming, and also a study has shown that people who drink sugary drinks are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, BUT the consensus seems to be that being overweight is the risk factor, NOT the sugar or insulin spike itself (people who drink sugary drinks are more likely to be overweight due to the high calorie consumption)

I was very surprised to learn this myself, for years I had heard that insulin spikes essentially wear out the pancreas, but it turns out it's not true, or at least not proven.

If you could show me some of the studies you mention I'd love to read them. Still learning myself. Also I still tend towards a lower GI diet mostly due to habit and more volume per calorie, but I just stress less over eating fast carbs now. My post just meant to explain that if the OP wants honey, he/she should go for it.

Edit: also check out the comments/discussion going on here:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/is-a-carb-a-carb/
    Last edited by hypo; 01-21-2014 at 11:45 AM.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Peanut butter and honey sandwiches are one of my favorite post-workout meals.
    I do this on wheat round bread. Fix it the day before and put it in the refrigerator
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Yes,
    Honey is the best way to loss fat on your body. Everyday morning (before take any breakfast) you take one glass of water and mix 2 spoon of honey and drink it. It will be helpful to loss weight.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by funkelcharles View Post
    Yes,
    Honey is the best way to loss fat on your body. Everyday morning (before take any breakfast) you take one glass of water and mix 2 spoon of honey and drink it. It will be helpful to loss weight.
    Or weight gain depending on your caloric intake vs calories needed
    Training Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/239758-bodybuilding-log-mikeyjd.html
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

I use raw honey in my tea and cooking often times and it hasn't affected me in any way
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

Form? 100% pure. Dont go for that china imported or 98% corn syrup stuff. Keep it low though, while the GI of honey is lower and has some antimicrobial properties its still sugar. In fact honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose (just like sugar), and has approximately the same relative sweetness as granulated sugar. So 64 cals a tablespoon or so.
  36. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog.tx View Post

Form? 100% pure. Dont go for that china imported or 98% corn syrup stuff. Keep it low though, while the GI of honey is lower and has some antimicrobial properties its still sugar. In fact honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose (just like sugar), and has approximately the same relative sweetness as granulated sugar. So 64 cals a tablespoon or so.
    Oatmeal is sugar too at the end of the day.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    Oatmeal is sugar too at the end of the day.
    No its not, not even remotely close. A carb yes, but not a sugar. Carbohydrates include compounds composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. "Sugars" are almost always monosaccharides that are wholy or in part glucose, fructose, and galactose but can also include disaccharides. By your definition fiber is sugar, yet many forms aren't broken down by the body in any form or just as SCFAs. Its this kind of talk that confuses things. Do oats include some sugars, sure but also include some protein, fiber, small amount of fat depending on processing, etc. In fact in the whole groats I flake (Bob's Red Mill) the label shows 1 gram of sugar vs the 2.5 of fat and 7 grams of oats, both which are so low people rarely know it contains them.

This isn't to jump your butt about the sugar arguement but we need to stop with the insanity that people are saying that leads to this midseat that HFCS and whole oats are the same thing so I might as well drink a 2 liter of soda for recovery. You MIGHT get away with that if you have juge glycogen stores but for your average dieter/beginning lifter you're setting them up for failure.
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog.tx View Post

No its not, not even remotely close. A carb yes, but not a sugar. Carbohydrates include compounds composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. "Sugars" are almost always monosaccharides that are wholy or in part glucose, fructose, and galactose but can also include disaccharides. By your definition fiber is sugar, yet many forms aren't broken down by the body in any form or just as SCFAs. Its this kind of talk that confuses things. Do oats include some sugars, sure but also include some protein, fiber, small amount of fat depending on processing, etc. In fact in the whole groats I flake (Bob's Red Mill) the label shows 1 gram of sugar vs the 2.5 of fat and 7 grams of oats, both which are so low people rarely know it contains them.

This isn't to jump your butt about the sugar arguement but we need to stop with the insanity that people are saying that leads to this midseat that HFCS and whole oats are the same thing so I might as well drink a 2 liter of soda for recovery. You MIGHT get away with that if you have juge glycogen stores but for your average dieter/beginning lifter you're setting them up for failure.
    I didn't say fiber is glucose. However oats have more than just fiber.
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

I didn't say fiber is glucose. However oats have more than just fiber.
    I should also note dieting is 95% psychological when it is called "hard" things like fiber will fill you up and I'm not saying avoid it. I'm just saying flexible dieting is better for most of the users asking for advice on these fourms. Especially contest prep.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

I should also note dieting is 95% psychological when it is called "hard" things like fiber will fill you up and I'm not saying avoid it. I'm just saying flexible dieting is better for most of the users asking for advice on these fourms. Especially contest prep.
    Yeah understandable. And to some degree I'm slowly warming up to the carb is a carb is a carb discussion, particially post WO. However point is theres alot of people out there talking themselves into bad choices cause they think all carbs are equal. Besides fiber and complexity we hashed out think about fructose. Due to how the liver processes this fructose doesn't refill mucle glycogen from what I understand. So if thats the case is it any wonder that switching kids diets from sugar (one glucuse, one fructose) to HFCS (dual fructose) wouldn't have a huge impact? Think about it kiddo plays all day, does soccer after school, then we load them up with HFCS which spills over easily ut leaves thier bodies wanting more carbs. Again I could have it wrong but thats what the pubmeds I'm reading suggest. So with that said one could argue even subsets of various simple carbs could make a difference.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Honey Nut Cheerios
    By Guest in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM
  2. Honey
    By size in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 08:19 AM
  3. Smuckers Natty Peanut Butter with Honey
    By Cold in forum Bulking