Macros for losing fat

  1. Macros for losing fat


    In my efforts to come up with appropriate macros for cutting fat I ended up with 2938cal. This takes into account the 20% cut in calories for trying to cut body fat. After that, I chose to do 2g protein per kg total body weight, and then I chose 1g per kg Lean body mass (a few months ago I had it calculated at 26% BF and 193lb (90kg). So that came out to being 90g fat, then the remaining carbs, ended up being 296g.

    How I got 2938: I took 31kcal x 118kg (my total body weight in kg) Then I multiplied that number by .2 for the 20% calorie deficit I'll be putting myself at and that gave me 2938.

    My question is, are these numbers too high? It seems that I should be consuming less calories if I want to cut weight.

    I work out about 5 days a week, and once the snow clears, I'm an avid cycler. I'm a student, so a lot of my day is spend sitting, in a classroom, or at my job standing behind the pharmacy counter.

    Any advice is appreciated
    Thanks


  2. Look up "how to calculate tdee" and report back with the number

  3. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Look up "how to calculate tdee" and report back with the number
    I looked up what you said and ended up using the Katch-McArdle equation. A while back (several months) I was found to be around 26% BF making my lean muscle mass around 194lb or 88kg. So I used that and ended up with 2271calories. Should I use this number then?
    •   
       


  4. My TDEE is 3765

  5. Okay so if you're trying to lose weight subtract 500 cals and start from there. If you are in fact in the upper 20's for bf% then you could lose a pound per week easily

  6. Keep protein high and use trial and error with carbs and fat

  7. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Keep protein high and use trial and error with carbs and fat
    Alright man. Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Still seems like the calories are a bit high, but I'll try.

  8. If you don't see any weight loss then subtract another 100... it takes time, don't rush it

  9. He got you covered honestly man, the best way to do it is to take your maintenance level and dock it by about 100 calories, then drop it again, and again, etc. You can add in a thermogenic like Dexaprine XR to help along the way. Just don't make any drastic drops in your caloric intake or your happiness will suffer. BTW I cut at 3200 calories, although my lean body mass is different than yours.

  10. Body weight in pounds times 12 is your target (per Lyle McDonald, and I prefer it). Katch McArdle works well for determining basal rate. The error everyone makes is using a multiplier that is too high. For example, I am currently using my Katch McArdle rate with a multiplier of 1.1. Then from this I cut calories further (specifically, one maintenance days worth per week). I am right on the limit of not losing strength, and am losing fat pretty well. This number coincidentally matches pretty well to body weight x12, so I'm just using that from now on and adjusting as needed.

    FYI I am 180lb and sitting at 11-12% body fat.

    I have an office job. If you are a fedex delivery guy, warehouse worker, construction worker, etc, then you can use a higher multiplier. But in general folks WAY overestimate their activity multiplier.

    Edit: I'll just do it... I get 3120 maintenance for you. Since you are fairly over weight, I'm going to suggest a little higher loss target per week at, say, 5000 cals (your body should be able to support it easily, it's when you get down to low body fat that you need to go more slowly). That puts you at a 2400 calorie target per day. Now using this math you should expect 1.5 lbs of weight loss per week. The first 2-4 weeks you'll drop a lot of water, so start measuring after that. If you're losing faster than that, add some calories. If a little too slowly, drop some more. Measure over 2-3 week periods. The body tends to dump fat in batches (theorized as temporary water retention in fat cells deprived of fatty acids).

    When you start cycling, you may need to add a few hundred cals on cycling days. Don't worry about adding cals on workout days or for your job.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Body weight in pounds times 12 is your target (per Lyle McDonald, and I prefer it). Katch McArdle works well for determining basal rate. The error everyone makes is using a multiplier that is too high. For example, I am currently using my Katch McArdle rate with a multiplier of 1.1. Then from this I cut calories further (specifically, one maintenance days worth per week). I am right on the limit of not losing strength, and am losing fat pretty well. This number coincidentally matches pretty well to body weight x12, so I'm just using that from now on and adjusting as needed. FYI I am 180lb and sitting at 11-12% body fat. I have an office job. If you are a fedex delivery guy, warehouse worker, construction worker, etc, then you can use a higher multiplier. But in general folks WAY overestimate their activity multiplier. Edit: I'll just do it... I get 3120 maintenance for you. Since you are fairly over weight, I'm going to suggest a little higher loss target per week at, say, 5000 cals (your body should be able to support it easily, it's when you get down to low body fat that you need to go more slowly). That puts you at a 2400 calorie target per day. Now using this math you should expect 1.5 lbs of weight loss per week. The first 2-4 weeks you'll drop a lot of water, so start measuring after that. If you're losing faster than that, add some calories. If a little too slowly, drop some more. Measure over 2-3 week periods. The body tends to dump fat in batches (theorized as temporary water retention in fat cells deprived of fatty acids).
    Wait so you're cutting at 2130 cals? Say goodbye to your mass lol. I've cut at 2000 cals...big mistake

  12. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Wait so you're cutting at 2130 cals? Say goodbye to your mass lol. I've cut at 2000 cals...big mistake
    Actually, I consume 2160 on workout days (3 per week), and 1620 on rest days. I've done this type of calorie restriction before several times. I am about 6 weeks into this current cut and down 10lb and 2% body fat with no strength loss at all, and I hit 900 lbs on my big three for 4+ reps (I don't 1RM). No offense but I know my body and am very detailed with my diet . If you'd like to know more PM me and I'd be glad to explain!

  13. Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Actually, I consume 2160 on workout days (3 per week), and 1620 on rest days. I've done this type of calorie restriction before several times. I am about 6 weeks into this current cut and down 10lb and 2% body fat with no strength loss at all, and I hit 900 lbs on my big three for 4+ reps (I don't 1RM). No offense but I know my body and am very detailed with my diet . If you'd like to know more PM me and I'd be glad to explain!
    My workout buddy is doing the same thing. He has dropped 10 pounds in a little over two months and he is pretty much the same size. He is sitting at aroundd 8 percent eating 1500 or something close to that

  14. Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Actually, I consume 2160 on workout days (3 per week), and 1620 on rest days. I've done this type of calorie restriction before several times. I am about 6 weeks into this current cut and down 10lb and 2% body fat with no strength loss at all, and I hit 900 lbs on my big three for 4+ reps (I don't 1RM). No offense but I know my body and am very detailed with my diet . If you'd like to know more PM me and I'd be glad to explain!
    Whatever works.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

  15. Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Actually, I consume 2160 on workout days (3 per week), and 1620 on rest days. I've done this type of calorie restriction before several times. I am about 6 weeks into this current cut and down 10lb and 2% body fat with no strength loss at all, and I hit 900 lbs on my big three for 4+ reps (I don't 1RM). No offense but I know my body and am very detailed with my diet . If you'd like to know more PM me and I'd be glad to explain!
    Ok and you also use anabolic steroids, etc. I don't. That's going to make maintaining mass a hell of a lot easier in a caloric deficit j/s.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Ok and you also use anabolic steroids, etc. I don't. That's going to make maintaining mass a hell of a lot easier in a caloric deficit j/s.
    Edit: not worth it. I made a friendly offer to explain further through PM and instead you insult (I do not use AAS by the way). People like you need to go back to bb.com where you belong.
    Last edited by hypo; 01-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Edit: not worth it. I made a friendly offer to explain further through PM and instead you insult (I do not use AAS by the way). People like you need to go back to bb.com where you belong.
    You being on steroids is an insult?? Lol I literally laughed my ass off considering that you made some rage post and then had to edit it. Not my fault you get pissed off when someone mentions something you're doing lol. Btw your offer wasn't friendly. It was condescending as ****. You know how to cut using anabolics? Congratulations! that in no way shape or form is going to translate over into a natural cut

  18. If you would do a little reading, you'd see my calories are pretty common on leangains diets. Not sure what your problem is, but you're being very immature. Not sure why someone would need steroids on a 2100 calorie per week deficit... That's pretty mild, just over .5 lb/ week target weight loss. Have fun w your lifting, I'm out of this thread.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
  2. recommendations for losing fat + lean muscle gains
    By ShapiroMD in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
  3. Best stack for losing fat gaining Muscle
    By samva777 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 05:23 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 09:39 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Log in
Log in