Nutritional myths

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.3%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Nutrition knowledge in athletes: a systematic review.

Abstract
    CONTEXT: Nutrition education aims to enhance knowledge and improve dietary intake in athletes. Understanding athletes' nutrition knowledge and its influence on dietary intake will inform nutrition-education programs in this population.

PURPOSE: To systematically review the level of nutrition knowledge in athletes, benchmark this against nonathlete comparison groups, and determine the impact of nutrition knowledge on dietary intake.

METHODS: An extensive literature search from the earliest record to March 2010 using the terms nutrition knowledge or diet knowledge and athlete or sport was conducted. Included studies recruited able or physically disabled, male or female, competitive (recreational or elite) athletes over the age of 13 yr. Quantitative assessment of knowledge and, if available, diet intake was required. Because of variability in the assessment of nutrition knowledge and dietary intake, meta-analysis was not conducted.

RESULTS: Twenty-nine studies (17 published before 2000) measuring nutrition knowledge (7 including a nonathlete comparison group) met inclusion criteria. Athletes' knowledge was equal to or better than that of nonathletes but lower than comparison groups including nutrition students. When found statistically significant, knowledge was greater in females than males. A weak (r < .44), positive association between knowledge and dietary intake was reported in 5 of 9 studies assessing this. Common flaws in articles included inadequate statistical reporting, instrument validation, and benchmarking.

CONCLUSION: The nutrition knowledge of athletes and its impact on their dietary intake is equivocal. There is a need for high-quality, contemporary research using validated tools to measure nutrition knowledge and its impact on dietary intake
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I thought this was interesting; touches on what we talked about regarding the validity of studies:

Science | From AAAS

The authors conducted several studies with VERY flawed study designs and sent them out to various journals to see if they would be accepted or rejected..
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    I thought this was interesting; touches on what we talked about regarding the validity of studies:

Science | From AAAS

The authors conducted several studies with VERY flawed study designs and sent them out to various journals to see if they would be accepted or rejected..

that's hilarious, however it makes me question if THAT article is in fact credible.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mattvdh View Post
    that's hilarious, however it makes me question if THAT article is in fact credible.
    Haha, who knows
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I am starting to even doubt if Hayden is credible.

Has he been peer reviewed?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I am starting to even doubt if Hayden is credible.

Has he been peer reviewed?
    I get all my information from you, so if your wrong, im wrong
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I get all my information from you, so if your wrong, im wrong
    Do yourself a favour and don't read any of my old articles then lol.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Do yourself a favour and don't read any of my old articles then lol.
    It's funny what we considered bro-science back then, even though it was 'science' to us. As our understanding grows, nutritional concepts become less complex
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

It's funny what we considered bro-science back then, even though it was 'science' to us. As our understanding grows, nutritional concepts become less complex
    Yeah Alan Aragon pretty much set me straight. I use to come up with these really complex theories on dieting and burning fat and 98% of his answers boiled down to ''it's simply a matter of calories in, calories out''. Normally I challenge any user, but with Aragon there's really no point, he's proven and credible--a walking encyclodpedia. The only thing he says that I'm not 100% on is that he thinks that keto people are carbaphobes, and doesn't seem to recognize that insulin resistance can play a big role. Aside from that, I do agree with his calories in/out stance.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%

Yeah Alan Aragon pretty much set me straight. I use to come up with these really complex theories on dieting and burning fat and 98% of his answers boiled down to ''it's simply a matter of calories in, calories out''. Normally I challenge any user, but with Aragon there's really no point, he's proven and credible--a walking encyclodpedia. The only thing he says that I'm not 100% on is that he thinks that keto people are carbaphobes, and doesn't seem to recognize that insulin resistance can play a big role. Aside from that, I do agree with his calories in/out stance.
    Yeah, this is exactly it. It can become complex if you try to micromanage everything but in the end, everything can be made simple

eating less than the body needs = weight loss
    eating at what the body needs = maintenance
    eating more than the body needs = weight gain

It is really that simple lol
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.3%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Aaragon is just as biased as everyone else and his IIFYM movements contains just as many fanatics as the ones he vilifys
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Aaragon is just as biased as everyone else and his IIFYM movements contains just as many fanatics as the ones he vilifys
    If he's biased it's because he's been doing it for like 25 years and training some of the top athletes in America, so I guess he just knows what works at this point. He and Layne Norton share pretty much the same views on IIFYM. That term/acronym IIFYM is a bit too sexy sounding though, some people think they can just eat whatever you want, but in reality if you're cutting on like 1,800cals /day you have to meet your protein, fat and fiber needs--then a bit of carbs for energy/glycogen, and that really only leaves you maybe a few hundred calories left. Personally I don't really think about filling up that remaining amount with any desserts or snacks simply because they make me more hungry, I try to eat things like broccoli or greens because they're super low in calories and fill you up longer. When cutting you want to be able to eat as much as possible just to have that feeling of chewing and digesting. If you eat a 500cal piece of pie you'll be super hungry by bed time and it's a real bummer.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

Yeah, this is exactly it. It can become complex if you try to micromanage everything but in the end, everything can be made simple

eating less than the body needs = weight loss
    eating at what the body needs = maintenance
    eating more than the body needs = weight gain

It is really that simple lol
    Yeah pretty much haha... All you gotta remember is to consume about a gram per pound of LBM to spare you muscle wasting when cutting, and consume about 0.5g per pound of LBM for fat so that you can absorb your fat soluble vitamins and for hormonal balance, the remaining calories should come from carbs and are pretty the variable.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.41%

Yeah pretty much haha... All you gotta remember is to consume about a gram per pound of LBM to spare you muscle wasting when cutting, and consume about 0.5g per pound of LBM for fat so that you can absorb your fat soluble vitamins and for hormonal balance, the remaining calories should come from carbs and are pretty the variable.
    Oh yes; I very over-simplified it. Whilst weight loss will occur at a deficit, playing around with macros will help manage how much LBM is lost (or saved) etc. etc.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  2. debunking the debunked “Top 10 Nutrition Myths.”
    By Quinc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
  3. T-Nation: The Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths
    By The Godfather in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18