Intermittent Fasting question

xxZer0xx

Awards
Hey everybody so im currently doing and IF diet my meal window is from 3pm-10pm but i tend to workout in the mornings before i go to work. My question is that if i end my lift at 10am for example, is it ok to take my protein and bcaas after as i usually would or does it defeat the purpose of my eating window?

PunishMuscle

Awards
In my experience with IF you can hold off on the protien shake itself but would take the BCAA. Unless you are doin HIIT then your body is going to beg you to replenish it. As long as you stay busy at work after your workout you should be fine. Also maybe look in to switching your feeding window. To start at 10am and end at 6pm.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I guess my question would be, why not change your eat window or change your workout schedule?

IF is great but meal timing can always be beneficial; if you were to eat right after your workout you would be giving your body the nutrients needed; you would also be spiking some insulin pending on your first meal at the time it's the most beneficial.

I used to workout in the afternoons, 5pm, so my feeding window was 3pm - 10pm as well. I then switched to working out at lunch, and changed window to 11 - 6pm Not a drastic change but a change nonetheless and I'm still giving great nutrients and fully utilizing my meal timing.

xxZer0xx

Awards
i thought about changing my window, however, my issue is that my work shifts are either from 3pm-8pm, or 6am-2:30pm. its a real pain in the ass honestly. days like tuesday+thursday i have class from 11am-1:45pm and if i had work at 3pm, my workout would have to be in the morning, especially if i have a 6am shift the next day. maybe i can do a 10am-6pm? i feel like that may be my best option at this point.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also maybe look in to switching your feeding window. To start at 10am and end at 6pm.
^this^ I know the research goes both ways, but I wouldn't even consider IF unless feeding was centered around my training.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
i thought about changing my window, however, my issue is that my work shifts are either from 3pm-8pm, or 6am-2:30pm. its a real pain in the ass honestly. days like tuesday+thursday i have class from 11am-1:45pm and if i had work at 3pm, my workout would have to be in the morning, especially if i have a 6am shift the next day. maybe i can do a 10am-6pm? i feel like that may be my best option at this point.
My answer to not being able to eat at some times is to bring protein shakes, almonds, and pecans to work, and then either eat them as the light food before workout or the light food at the end of the feeding period. Have you tried something in those lines?

PunishMuscle

Awards
I'm a paramedic who work crazy hours. I feel you on the hour change and feeling like being everywhere at one. Here's my schedule if it helps you feel a little better.
Monday. Up at 6am prep food shower at school at 8am till 5pm. Work 6pm to 6am. Tuesday off or rescue training once every 3 weeks. Lift at around 12pm or 1. Wednesday school 8-5. Study group Wednesday night. Thursday same as monday. Off friday. Lift at 12pm or 1. Saturday 24 hour shift. Off sunday lift at 12pm or 1. Study group sunday evening.