Why do people do cardio?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post

Right.... so then take my other statements in this thread and reason with me and please explain
    When you cardio you burn cals that can be used for building muscle during a bulk

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

It's all about the heart

Many people do cardio with the though of burning calories, but the real benefit is to cardiovascular system which become more important as we get older. Heavy ass weight training is heart friendly too but not nearly as much as a few hours of moderate cardio every week. Personally I do a combination of HIIT and steady state cardio during the week knowing that the only reason I'm doing it is for heart health.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Cardiovascular exercise's value is, as many have noted, exactly related to its name. Numerous studies in recent years have demonstrated that it is of little value in weight loss (although it may be useful in keeping weight off). The NYT has reported numerous studies. I can't link to them, but you can google one entitled "Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss," published Aug. 1, 2012. It links to other studies.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  80 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vkg1 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the purpose in doing cardio is exactly, with respect to weightloss? I'm sure there is a reason, I just was wondering if anyone could identify it for me exactly. I just don't like to takes things only on faith. Right now, it's not clear to me why one would want to do extra work (cardio) above and beyond strength training rather than just eating less.

Why don't people just eat less rather than doing cardio?
    *Great question!!! It basically improves mood, make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, reduce joints pain, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health. *
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I do cardio because my job requires it and I love food so I don't mind a lil extra cardio lol.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bachelard View Post
    Cardiovascular exercise's value is, as many have noted, exactly related to its name. Numerous studies in recent years have demonstrated that it is of little value in weight loss (although it may be useful in keeping weight off). The NYT has reported numerous studies. I can't link to them, but you can google one entitled "Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss," published Aug. 1, 2012. It links to other studies.
    I see a lot of those kinds of studies reported in the media these days. I also see lots of studies saying that most N.A. get approximately 0 exercise each day. Maybe it's just me but I think I see a correlation there. My personal experience is that cardio certainly does promote weight loss, not in the direct, burning calories kind of way that people want it to perhaps, but in more subtle but manifold ways. For instance, regular bouts of cardio induce hormonal changes that tend to kill the appetite. Also, the increased body awareness that results from cardio tends to discourage overeating; it's easier to tell when you're actually full. Any studies that say cardio doesn't promote weight loss are pandering to the sedentary masses, IMO.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pro520roost View Post
    When you cardio you burn cals that can be used for building muscle during a bulk
    Well so then Cardio is a must have for a cut no?
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post
    Well so then Cardio is a must have for a cut no?
    Biggest thing for a cut is the diet, eating at a defecit. But alot of people find that it's easier to eat at a defecit while using cardio to burn some calories. I'm a big fan of HIIT running while I'm on a cut.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    Biggest thing for a cut is the diet, eating at a defecit. But alot of people find that it's easier to eat at a defecit while using cardio to burn some calories. I'm a big fan of HIIT running while I'm on a cut.
    roadwarrior life, acl tear, cannot do HIIT. What are the options then ?
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Get fat But in all seriousness you can still eat at a defecit while on the road, it's all about discipline. HIIT is only one way to do cardio, it's the quickest way to burn calories and fat but you can do any number of cardio workouts to aid in that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. why do people take ATD?
    By nattydisaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM
  2. Why do people not reasearch their products?
    By gibsonj4 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
  3. Why do people cycle without a solid base?
    By pdigs in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
  4. Why do people look down on us?
    By IronMarc in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 07:58 PM
  5. Why do people use fat burners in PCT?
    By juggernaut2005 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 09:08 AM