Why do people do cardio?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Why do people eat Rhubarb pie?
    Good question


  2. Quote Originally Posted by pro520roost View Post
    God
    Now you're just making stuff up.
    •   
       


  3. When you're cutting cardio plays a major role. During a bulk it CAN be beneficial but also counter productive

  4. Quote Originally Posted by vkg1 View Post
    So, the way I see it is that our bodies optimize for the work they do. I lead a reasonably active life where I walk around briskly to perform various tasks daily, climb some stairs, and carry some heavy things sometimes. And my body seems to be perfectly healthy for these things. Additionally, I also lift weights, which really gets the blood flowing and works my energy systems quite a bit.

    This seems about right to me. Why would I want to add running on a hamster wheel? I do not need to perform marathons or long distance athletic events etc. Doing cardio would cost me money and time. I haven't seen an concrete reasons listed here to do cardio + weights vs. just eating less + weights.
    Not to be rude bud but IMO you're far from active. I'm not terribly active and this is what I get up to at 46 V and yes I need to do cardio to keep up.

    Name:  mebaldycrux.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  295.8 KB

  5. Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Not to be rude bud but IMO you're far from active. I'm not terribly active and this is what I get up to at 46 V and yes I need to do cardio to keep up.

    Name:  mebaldycrux.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  295.8 KB
    Not to be rude, but lifting weights regularly , plus any walking achieved during errands or work is not "far from active" IMO. Me and my husband are healthcare providers and we consistently find that people who are older and have great mobility, energy, sleep patterns, blood work, cholesterol, etc are simply active in a "normal" sense. They don't necessarily climb mountains, run marathons, do crossfit 8 times a week. The one thing that these healthy geriatric patients have in common is that they are of a healthy weight.

    The Japanese are famous for how long they live. How many of them rock climb? Mr Kimura, the most recent oldest living Japanese man (oldestjapaneseman) said that his secret to living long was to “eat light to live longer,” http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/wo...-116.html?_r=0

    short story: don't get fat. don't watch tv all day. DONE. Maybe walk to your mailbox instead of drive....
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
    Not to be rude, but lifting weights regularly , plus any walking achieved during errands or work is not "far from active" IMO. Me and my husband are healthcare providers and we consistently find that people who are older and have great mobility, energy, sleep patterns, blood work, cholesterol, etc are simply active in a "normal" sense. They don't necessarily climb mountains, run marathons, do crossfit 8 times a week. The one thing that these healthy geriatric patients have in common is that they are of a healthy weight.

    The Japanese are famous for how long they live. How many of them rock climb? Mr Kimura, the most recent oldest living Japanese man (oldestjapaneseman) said that his secret to living long was to “eat light to live longer,” http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/wo...-116.html?_r=0

    short story: don't get fat. don't watch tv all day. DONE. Maybe walk to your mailbox instead of drive....
    DONE eh? If you say so. FYI, rock climbers typically aren't too concerned about getting old. It's really more about living today. YMMV.

    I also lift weights, I keep a log on here, I'd bet money I lift more than the OP, and also that I'm at least 10 years older. IMO young people these days have a very skewed idea of what constitutes 'active', due to the fact that, as you say, the majority of people lead *extremely* sedentary lives. However, like the saying goes, just because everybody does something doesn't make it *right*.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    DONE eh? If you say so. FYI, rock climbers typically aren't too concerned about getting old. It's really more about living today. YMMV.

    I also lift weights, I keep a log on here, I'd bet money I lift more than the OP, and also that I'm at least 10 years older. IMO young people these days have a very skewed idea of what constitutes 'active', due to the fact that, as you say, the majority of people lead *extremely* sedentary lives. However, like the saying goes, just because everybody does something doesn't make it *right*.
    we are all entitled to our honest and individual opinions my friend *pats head* you win, i win, we all win tada!

  8. Lots of sex= cardio and core work. Not to mention its much more enjoyable than walking.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by wicked442 View Post
    Lots of sex= cardio and core work. Not to mention its much more enjoyable than walking.
    Depends on who you are having lots of sex with

  10. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    When you're cutting cardio plays a major role. During a bulk it CAN be beneficial but also counter productive
    Right.... so then take my other statements in this thread and reason with me and please explain
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post

    Right.... so then take my other statements in this thread and reason with me and please explain
    When you cardio you burn cals that can be used for building muscle during a bulk
  12. It's all about the heart


    Many people do cardio with the though of burning calories, but the real benefit is to cardiovascular system which become more important as we get older. Heavy ass weight training is heart friendly too but not nearly as much as a few hours of moderate cardio every week. Personally I do a combination of HIIT and steady state cardio during the week knowing that the only reason I'm doing it is for heart health.

  13. Cardiovascular exercise's value is, as many have noted, exactly related to its name. Numerous studies in recent years have demonstrated that it is of little value in weight loss (although it may be useful in keeping weight off). The NYT has reported numerous studies. I can't link to them, but you can google one entitled "Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss," published Aug. 1, 2012. It links to other studies.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by vkg1 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the purpose in doing cardio is exactly, with respect to weightloss? I'm sure there is a reason, I just was wondering if anyone could identify it for me exactly. I just don't like to takes things only on faith. Right now, it's not clear to me why one would want to do extra work (cardio) above and beyond strength training rather than just eating less.

    Why don't people just eat less rather than doing cardio?
    *Great question!!! It basically improves mood, make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, reduce joints pain, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health. *

  15. I do cardio because my job requires it and I love food so I don't mind a lil extra cardio lol.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by bachelard View Post
    Cardiovascular exercise's value is, as many have noted, exactly related to its name. Numerous studies in recent years have demonstrated that it is of little value in weight loss (although it may be useful in keeping weight off). The NYT has reported numerous studies. I can't link to them, but you can google one entitled "Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss," published Aug. 1, 2012. It links to other studies.
    I see a lot of those kinds of studies reported in the media these days. I also see lots of studies saying that most N.A. get approximately 0 exercise each day. Maybe it's just me but I think I see a correlation there. My personal experience is that cardio certainly does promote weight loss, not in the direct, burning calories kind of way that people want it to perhaps, but in more subtle but manifold ways. For instance, regular bouts of cardio induce hormonal changes that tend to kill the appetite. Also, the increased body awareness that results from cardio tends to discourage overeating; it's easier to tell when you're actually full. Any studies that say cardio doesn't promote weight loss are pandering to the sedentary masses, IMO.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by pro520roost View Post
    When you cardio you burn cals that can be used for building muscle during a bulk
    Well so then Cardio is a must have for a cut no?
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post
    Well so then Cardio is a must have for a cut no?
    Biggest thing for a cut is the diet, eating at a defecit. But alot of people find that it's easier to eat at a defecit while using cardio to burn some calories. I'm a big fan of HIIT running while I'm on a cut.
    Vitalize Supplements Rep

  19. Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    Biggest thing for a cut is the diet, eating at a defecit. But alot of people find that it's easier to eat at a defecit while using cardio to burn some calories. I'm a big fan of HIIT running while I'm on a cut.
    roadwarrior life, acl tear, cannot do HIIT. What are the options then ?
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM

  20. Get fat But in all seriousness you can still eat at a defecit while on the road, it's all about discipline. HIIT is only one way to do cardio, it's the quickest way to burn calories and fat but you can do any number of cardio workouts to aid in that.
    Vitalize Supplements Rep
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. why do people take ATD?
    By nattydisaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
  2. Why do people not reasearch their products?
    By gibsonj4 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
  3. Why do people cycle without a solid base?
    By pdigs in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
  4. Why do people look down on us?
    By IronMarc in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 09:58 PM
  5. Why do people use fat burners in PCT?
    By juggernaut2005 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Log in
Log in