Transitioning to a cut

FsAxis92

FsAxis92

Awards
I'd like to Introduce myself. I'm very active on a few other forums, and came across this gem. My name is Ray, and over almost 2 years I lost 150 lbs or so. I then learned about proper nutrition and macros, and reverse dieted from 190 to 200 lbs very slowly. I am now slowly gaining on about 3300 cals. I am pretty active at work every day, and lift on a legs/push/pull routine.

I feel now that getting rid of these love handles would be nice, and wanted some advice about transitioning into the cut. Should I just cut cals right off the bat? Or slowly reduce them? I figured if I did it slowly I'd be doing the opposite of a reverse diet and maybe letting my body adjust to the lower cals as I lower them, hindering my progress.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
In for the replies on this one. I am very interested in this as well. Congrats on the weight loss and lifestyle change. :)

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Loosing weight especially love handles requires low bf%. What I would do is adjust the timing of your food sources, add in HIIT training, then add in supplementation like Dexaprine XR. These are done in steps, not all at one time. This way progress is continuous, or as continuous as can be.

FsAxis92

FsAxis92

Awards
Loosing weight especially love handles requires low bf%. What I would do is adjust the timing of your food sources, add in HIIT training, then add in supplementation like Dexaprine XR. These are done in steps, not all at one time. This way progress is continuous, or as continuous as can be.
Dude I already know about cardio and how I lose weight...I lost 150 pounds. Timing of food sources? What about people who fast bro? I was asking whether calories should be cut quickly or gradually when transitioning to a cut from a bulk.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Dude I already know about cardio and how I lose weight...I lost 150 pounds. Timing of food sources? What about people who fast bro? I was asking whether calories should be cut quickly or gradually when transitioning to a cut from a bulk.
First no need to be rude about it. Because you lost 150 doesn't mean you understand what it takes to get low enough to get in the shape you probably want to get into.
I'm not saying your journey to where you are at is easy or not commendable as a lot of people wish they could do what you did do.
Second I am NOT a fan of fasting. Not because I don't think it works, but because I don't believe you can truly give your body what you need in a healthy manner by doing a fasted type of diet. But if that works for you then do it.
What I mean by food timing is just that. Take in carbs when you need them like pre/post workout and leave the rest of the meals for fat and protein. Essentially a CKD style diet. Which is only one way of doing things. Your 3300 calories or how ever close you are to them is a good starting point to switch things around. For me during contests and for the few client that are looking to loose weight are in a high kcal state similar to you just the timi mg of their food is adjusted.

**typing on phone, apologize for miss spelling and random spacing.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you have leveled out cut cals 500 under maintenance. Personslly I would cut carbs and fat to start and see how I progressed.

FsAxis92

FsAxis92

Awards
First no need to be rude about it. Because you lost 150 doesn't mean you understand what it takes to get low enough to get in the shape you probably want to get into.
I'm not saying your journey to where you are at is easy or not commendable as a lot of people wish they could do what you did do.
Second I am NOT a fan of fasting. Not because I don't think it works, but because I don't believe you can truly give your body what you need in a healthy manner by doing a fasted type of diet. But if that works for you then do it.
What I mean by food timing is just that. Take in carbs when you need them like pre/post workout and leave the rest of the meals for fat and protein. Essentially a CKD style diet. Which is only one way of doing things. Your 3300 calories or how ever close you are to them is a good starting point to switch things around. For me during contests and for the few client that are looking to loose weight are in a high kcal state similar to you just the timi mg of their food is adjusted.

**typing on phone, apologize for miss spelling and random spacing.
I one hundred percent wasn't being rude. I apologize if it came off that way. Also, I don't fast, I was just making for conversation. I appreciate the advice.

Also, what's a CKD style diet?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I one hundred percent wasn't being rude. I apologize if it came off that way. Also, I don't fast, I was just making for conversation. I appreciate the advice.

Also, what's a CKD style diet?
Sorry been a long day and reading things can be perceived based on current mood of the individual reading it. Sorry about that.

CKD = Cyclic Keto Diet

FsAxis92

FsAxis92

Awards
Sorry been a long day and reading things can be perceived based on current mood of the individual reading it. Sorry about that.

CKD = Cyclic Keto Diet
I apologize for sounding hostile. I'm not much of a fan of low carving or keto. I've tried it in the past. I guess I'll just drop to 3000 cals, and incorporate more cardio throughout the week and see how that treats me. Thanks for the advice buddy!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you can always start a diet by using the old body weight x 10 method to start out your diet and then adjust as needed... so for you 2000 cals. for week 1.
then see how much you lose.. if its more than 3lbs add some cals back into the diet.. you should shoot for 1-2 lbs of fatloss per week. once you get a feel for whats working best all u would need to do from that point on is adjust your caloric intake to represent your present weight based on the figure you established early on in the diet..

lets just say you end up at about 2500 cals after the first week or two... do the math and figure out the actual number that best fits your diet needs.. so as an example maybe for you it ends up being BWx12.5 ... you could use this as a simple way to continually plug in the updated intakes as u go. (next week you re-establish a new calorie intake based on the new body weight).. this is like a simple no nonsense approach to dieting. forgetting all of the dieting nuances you might discuss. just make sure you are eating less than you need, but not so much less that is hurting your progress.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I don't like keto diets either personally, I just eat minimal carbs to stay in glycolysis. I do cut carbs before fats or proteins though. If I need a little boost I add Ephedrine and Dexaprine XR, and it always works great.

Zivir

Awards
You shouldn't incorporate too much cardio - see it as a hidden weapon for plateaus. I like to do about 1-2 cardio session each week, and depending on how long I'm cutting, I'll add about 10-20 min each week. to prevent plateaus. About the transistioning from a bulk/maintenance to a cut, i believe you can cut the calories off instantly. If you maintain at 3300 kcal for example, and you want to lose about 1 pound a week, then cut 500 kcal off (2800 kcal a day), so you are in a 3500 kcal weekly deficit. Going from cutting to bulking on the other hand, should in my opinion, be a slow process (reverse dieting), if you after the cutting period have a damaged metabolism.

Zivir

Awards
For healthy macros, i would go for about 1-1,3g protein per lbs. .4g fats from your total calorie comsumption (.3g at an absolute minimum - for plateus perhaps.), and the remaining kcal you fit with carbohydrates.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
For healthy macros, i would go for about 1-1,3g protein per lbs. 0.4% fats from your total calorie comsumption (0,3% at an absolute minimum - for plateus perhaps.), and the remaining kcal you fit with carbohydrates.
.4 percent from fats? Is that a ****ing joke? Lol