Squats or Stairs?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.85%

Squats or Stairs?

I started my cutting routine a couple weeks ago, which consists of working a body part every other day for about 40 minutes and then 20 minutes on the stairs. I've been wondering though if I could take the basic foundation of the "Squats and Milk" routine and use that instead of the 20 minutes of stairs and burn more calories overall? For example, I would basically do 40 minutes of chest, then 20 minutes of moderate weight squats instead of getting on the stair machine. Obviously, I won't be squatting 200+ lbs every other day, more like 135/145 for sets of 8, as many I can do in 20 minutes. Then on my actual leg day, I will go heavy on squats and maybe get on a rowing machine for 20 minutes and then take two days off before I start my cycle over. The squats will put more stress on my body than the stairs, which leads me to believe that I will burn more doing them, however, my heart rate on the stairs would be significantly higher(consistently) than doing squats. I understand the benefits of heart health with the cardio, but at the current time, I more concerned with a hard cut. The only thing I'm not sure about is recovery, which for whatever reason, is not really mentioned when you read up on the Squats and Milk routine. Thoughts?
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face"

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

squats are taxing for sure! they will possibly keep your metabolism a little higher for an extended time afterwards. but squats are considered an anaerobic exercise and cardio is aerobic, so during the exercise youre likely to burn more calories doing cardio. but youre also more likely to stimulate a prolonged calorie burning effect after doing squats. maybe try this.. and it could be a good alternative,..
    do a low weight set of bb squats ass to ground and keep the reps as fast as possible. go until you can no longer safely perform them. follow that set immediately with 30 seconds of high knee runs (in place if needed) rest for 20-30 seconds then repeat for a total of 10 mins you will be huffing and puffing and drenched I would suspect. the over all effect should be exactly what you want..

don't forget the dexaprine and forskilin 95 !
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.24%
    Achievements Activity Pro

For recovery I would get use to a foam roller and stretch a lot. Keep H2O intake moderate to high to keep flushing out the system, and you can always add in some Compete. Has Carnitine in it which has been shown to help reduce recovery time.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

^ Exactly what these two said.

When I do leg days I pop a DexaprineXR then I hit the stairs for 20-30min followed by back and front squats! Ive had some crazy results!
    Myokem Rep 15% Off @ Myokem.com use code dkgreene15
    NITRAMINE-Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINEHigh Performance Thermogenic Agent |MAGNITROPIN-High Performance Myotropic Agent |ALPHADEX-High Performance Hormone Modulator
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.18%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Squats are my favorite exercise, but they are very taxing and can be hard to recover from. If you need some additional energy some Dexaprine XR would help you make it through.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.85%

Thanks for the info, guys. Energy isn't really a problem for me. I gulp back my xtend before my workout and get in a get it done. I don't spend any more than an hour in the gym at a time. I'm just going to stick to the stairs for now, and if that begins to get stale, I'll find something else to do. 40 minute weights/20 minute cardio is doing me good so far, so I'll stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkgreene88 View Post
    ^ Exactly what these two said.

When I do leg days I pop a DexaprineXR then I hit the stairs for 20-30min followed by back and front squats! Ive had some crazy results!
    I was actually thinking about doing the stairs on leg day at the beginning of my routine as a good warm up. Then I wouldn't be miserable doing it after I burn my legs up.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%

Squats for sure!
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Squats hands down. I could be slightly biased however as I HATE the stair machine lol.
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

There is some interesting research on what forms of cardio impact the effects of weight training as well as what forms support lean body mass vs others.

If you are interested, I have a video on it. https://www.facebook.com/bencarpente...66168380098083
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JBVA View Post
    I started my cutting routine a couple weeks ago, which consists of working a body part every other day for about 40 minutes and then 20 minutes on the stairs. I've been wondering though if I could take the basic foundation of the "Squats and Milk" routine and use that instead of the 20 minutes of stairs and burn more calories overall? For example, I would basically do 40 minutes of chest, then 20 minutes of moderate weight squats instead of getting on the stair machine. Obviously, I won't be squatting 200+ lbs every other day, more like 135/145 for sets of 8, as many I can do in 20 minutes. Then on my actual leg day, I will go heavy on squats and maybe get on a rowing machine for 20 minutes and then take two days off before I start my cycle over. The squats will put more stress on my body than the stairs, which leads me to believe that I will burn more doing them, however, my heart rate on the stairs would be significantly higher(consistently) than doing squats. I understand the benefits of heart health with the cardio, but at the current time, I more concerned with a hard cut. The only thing I'm not sure about is recovery, which for whatever reason, is not really mentioned when you read up on the Squats and Milk routine. Thoughts?
    Here's my advice, drop the LISS cardio and start doing HIIT.

Ever since I started training my whole body 2x weekly, I can't seem to eat enough food to keep myself from losing weight.

I'd highly suggest actually training your legs really ****ing hard 2x weekly. One day focus on squats, the next on deadlifts.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.48%

I agree with the recommendation for HIIT and hitting the legs on two different days as well. I've had really good results with my overall fitness level as well as with my recomping.
    CTD Labs Product Ambassador/Board Rep
    5% off CTD Labs products at NutraPlanet use code -
    CTDNP5
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.85%

I'll tend to do sumo deads and conventional deads on back day, with my chest day in between back and legs, so my legs are recovered by leg day, which I'm focusing mainly on squats, with lunges and hack squats after.

I've done HIIT in the past, and it worked well, but running sprints really tears up my legs, which affects my deads and squats. What HIIT could anyone suggest besides sprints? Something like Man Makers?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.85%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    There is some interesting research on what forms of cardio impact the effects of weight training as well as what forms support lean body mass vs others.

If you are interested, I have a video on it. https://www.facebook.com/bencarpente...66168380098083
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out at home. YouTube is blocked at my job.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Top squat or safety bar?
    By mikeg313 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 03:13 AM
  2. Pain in your elbows squatting or benching?
    By Torobestia in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
  3. squats or leg press with deadlifts?
    By marcink99 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM
  4. HELP!! Cant Do Squats or Deads!!!
    By AndreAnabolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 04:13 AM
  5. Light squat or heavy leg press???