Ketogenic diet

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Was thinking about hitting a ketogenic diet.

Found a calculator entered my stats and got this back

5'7"
167-170
6 percent bodyfat

image-3135343344.jpg

Thoughts? The calories just seem crazy high to me especially being that I'm around 1700 on my normal diet now. But then again I've never tried keto. Any thoughts/ input would be greatly appreciated!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Why keto? I mean its effective for weight loss but you're most likely going to feel like sht, mood swings, low energy, loss in strength. Keeping carbs in a cut is always better imo unless your using gear its hard to stay full. Tends to make natural's look flat imo. No doubt it will help you lose weight but whats the purpose / goals? Upping your calorie intake by 1000 calories def wouldn't help you either. How many lbs are you losing a week currently at 1700 a week? Tweak your macros off of the calories you know you can intake. Keto or not calories are calories you won't be able to take in 1000 more calories and lose weight unless you are already in a huge deficit. (talking like 1300 below maintenance) which I doubt you are.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why keto? I mean its effective for weight loss but you're most likely going to feel like sht, mood swings, low energy, loss in strength. Keeping carbs in a cut is always better imo unless your using gear its hard to stay full. Tends to make natural's look flat imo. No doubt it will help you lose weight but whats the purpose / goals? Upping your calorie intake by 1000 calories def wouldn't help you either. How many lbs are you losing a week currently at 1700 a week? Tweak your macros off of the calories you know you can intake. Keto or not calories are calories you won't be able to take in 1000 more calories and lose weight unless you are already in a huge deficit. (talking like 1300 below maintenance) which I doubt you are.
CKD for the win, optimizing the carbs up to get some muscle building done that might have occurred while keto.

"The best diet is the one that builds muscle"

At the end of the day calories in vs calories out still holds true regardless of the diet. I do want to point out that if you are able to diet with carbs there is no need for keto, keto isnt a solution for all but it is worth the while for some.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
After a few years of using keto as my primary cutting diet I've moved away from it. Yeah it works but it's tedious to maintain and has more drawbacks than is does benefits. We're smarter now. Any diet designed for a population with medical conditions may not be the best answer for those with their health and an active lifestyle. I'm with Mason. Slow, gradual tweaks in diet are more effective in preserving the weight you want while not upsetting homeostasis. Lessons learned the hard way.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Looks like keto may not be fore then! Thanks for the input guys ill stay with what I'm at.. Quick question. Creatine before a show? Yay/neigh?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I never did. But I'm curious to what others think/do.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I never did. But I'm curious to what others think/do.
Found something saying natty builders should
Keep for that extra full muscle and that the ones who should come off would be those on gear as it'll do what creatine is for pulling water anyway?

Guess ill stay.. Just wanna be ripped as hell for sept ha

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya, Makes sense. Natty guys can achieve a dryer and more crisp look because they don't retain water from the gear like an assisted athlete. My question would be when/how much.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I hear ya, Makes sense. Natty guys can achieve a dryer and more crisp look because they don't retain water from the gear like an assisted athlete. My question would be when/how much.
Haha same here! This is the first time I have been this lean in awhile and just the over abundance of information and tips, tricks, opinions, supplementation on getting there makes my head spin!

vassille

Awards
Just utilize tools that work for you. Sometimes advice is given that would not fit your situation..like being natural, body type etc. SO it is going to male your head spin. At your stats right now eating some carbs is good just look in the mirror let it be the judge. If you feel bloated cut back on the carbs if you too dry add more carbs in there. I know ppl who ate carbs all the way to the show and some that did not eat carb for a week or two before...it all depends bro. Avoid doing drastic adjustments right before a show. If you like the way you look one day write down what you ate and did that day. Keep a record so you can go back to it.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think CKD are the best of both worlds. its what sly has done for 40 yrs... I don't think its harmfull one bit. you build back what you lost every week.