Spoonfuls of honey make dieting easy as falling asleep

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
This caught my eye on the BBC - Could there be any truth to this???

CHRISTINA STOKES

A SCOTTISH pharmacist has developed a new diet which allows slimmers to burn fat while they sleep by eating honey before bed.

Mike McInnes, 61, came up with the diet when he was helping athletes with their nutrition. He discovered that eating foods rich in fructose, such as dried fruits and honey, helps people burn fat and increase stamina.

The body burns more fat during the first four hours of sleep than it does during any other activity, including exercise.

Eating two teaspoonfuls of honey before bedtime and doing resistance exercise three times a week helps to stimulate this process.

Mr McInnes said most of the commonly-held wisdom about weight loss is not true.

He said: "People think they can lose weight by not eating in the evenings, or by cutting out carbohydrates.

"And they are told that spending hours in the gym will help them lose weight.

"Of course, spending time in the gym gets you fit - but in an hour of aerobic activity you only burn an ounce of fat.

"This diet uses recovery biology, the process which burns nothing but fat.

"The most important time for fat-burning is in the first four hours of sleep."

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but i'm no diet guru

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm, eating liquid sugar (fructose no less) right before bed, when dieting...I think I'll pass on that idea.

FunkMasterFlex

Awards
it would have to be raw, pure honey. Not shop-rite brand if anything. Maybe even Royal Jelly.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, all the honey would do is cause glucose levels to go up which causes an insulin spike. This means any nutrients you have in your stomach would get absorbed faster. I guess it could be reasoned that for the remainder of your sleep you have an empty stomach... Maybe he thinks when the carbs in your stomach are gone sooner the body will make use of it's efficient 4 hour fat burning state (so he claims) to feed off of fat on your body. I would think your body would go catabolic and burn more muscle than anything, though.

I think I will stick with my protein shake and flax before bed ;)

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
fat chance department. Maybe they should rub honey on the adipose tissue areas of concern and try that too. (but do that right before you exercise). Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Well the only time your body uses 100% fat for fuel is when your RER (Respiratory Exchange Ratio) is at 0.71. When is your RER at 0.71 you ask, only when your body is at Rest. As the intenisty gets higher your body slowly shift to carbs.

Hmmm makes you wonder.....

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
This caught my eye on the BBC - Could there be any truth to this???

CHRISTINA STOKES

A SCOTTISH pharmacist has developed a new diet which allows slimmers to burn fat while they sleep by eating honey before bed.

Mike McInnes, 61, came up with the diet when he was helping athletes with their nutrition. He discovered that eating foods rich in fructose, such as dried fruits and honey, helps people burn fat and increase stamina.

The body burns more fat during the first four hours of sleep than it does during any other activity, including exercise.

Eating two teaspoonfuls of honey before bedtime and doing resistance exercise three times a week helps to stimulate this process.

Mr McInnes said most of the commonly-held wisdom about weight loss is not true.

He said: "People think they can lose weight by not eating in the evenings, or by cutting out carbohydrates.

"And they are told that spending hours in the gym will help them lose weight.

"Of course, spending time in the gym gets you fit - but in an hour of aerobic activity you only burn an ounce of fat.

"This diet uses recovery biology, the process which burns nothing but fat.

"The most important time for fat-burning is in the first four hours of sleep."
You mean all this time and energy spent on learning the science and phisiologic response to optimal nutrition and exercise has all been for naught?? :blink: All I had to to to get ripped is eat honey!? :rant:

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :icon_lol:

theamazing3000

Awards
  • Established
Jminis, are you telling me when sleeping the body uses only fat for fuel.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Jminis, are you telling me when sleeping the body uses only fat for fuel.
Not "only" fat, but the highest ratio of fat to glucose. Blood sugar drops as you fast during sleep. Overnight, the liver releases its store of glycogen to support Brain and nervous system activity. Your brain can only use glucose and oxygen for fuel. Since the body is at rest, aerobic fat burning activity easily keeps metabolism moving along in your muscles.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
say bye bye to your GH secretion too if you are downing honey before bed. Insulin is inversly proportionate to GH in the body.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Well I tried the honey last night withOUT good results.

When I woke up I the sheets were STUCK where ever I applied the honey. Tomorrow maybe I will just wear a T-shirt when I use it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Infact maybe I will start my 'Honey Log' ;)

azurescen

Awards
are you using dermabolic's transdermal honeycort?

Scrap

Board Supporter
Awards

When I woke up I the sheets were STUCK where ever I applied the honey. Tomorrow maybe I will just wear a T-shirt when I use it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Infact maybe I will start my 'Honey Log' ;)
:icon_lol:

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
say bye bye to your GH secretion too if you are downing honey before bed. Insulin is inversly proportionate to GH in the body.
Yes, that is true but it would only be a small portion of the time you sleep. You're insulin isn't going to get spiked for 8 hours from eating fructose.

Stingray

Awards

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That to damn funny!!!
Hey dont you know that is what the GF/Wife is for. Trust me when you wake up the sheets might still be stuck, but the honey will be gone :lol:

SR

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That to damn funny!!!
Hey dont you know that is what the GF/Wife is for. Trust me when you wake up the sheets might still be stuck, but the honey will be gone :lol:

SR

Holy CRAP you were right.

BUT I am covered with little red bumps that hurt like hell. And right in the middle of each bump is something that looks like a stinger ????

darius

lol I can see it now..

Day 5 - Honey Log
I didnt think that I had a pest problem, but this morning I woke up covered in ants. :(

Hahhaa

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, that is true but it would only be a small portion of the time you sleep. You're insulin isn't going to get spiked for 8 hours from eating fructose.
I believe that the GH secretion is within one hour of sleep or when the body goes into REM sleep and then cortisol levels begin to steadly rise until you wake and bye the time you wake up carbs or no carbs cortisol is dominant

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
hell i might try it. Can someone give me a source that has more info on this? if there is any

Oatmeal_King

Awards
Friend - it is bullshit.

Get your diet and training in order if you need to lose fat.

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
would a ketosis diet bet the best and quickest way to burn fat while preserving muscle?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe that the GH secretion is within one hour of sleep or when the body goes into REM sleep and then cortisol levels begin to steadly rise until you wake and bye the time you wake up carbs or no carbs cortisol is dominant

I'm not sure this is true. I remember study a stating blood glucose levels had little impact on GH secretions at night. THe usual insulin/GH counteraction was not observed. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Duck of Death

Awards

...OK, I tried it last night. I ate my honey right before I went to sleep and the only thing that happened was she woke me up at midnight and said, "More! More!". :lol:

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
Well bobo, could you tell me what would be my best bet? I am 6'1 200lbs around 10% bf and trying to cut down to about like you in your avatar. What should i do?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody know off hand what hoenys GI is? If it is fructose that would mean it is a slow burning carb source. meaning glycogen would slowly fueled, and perhaps, perhaps freeing up more adipose tissue due to there beeing no compition. I think it is an intersting concept. We as bodybuilders have been trying to preserve muscle while we sleep, I had no idea we burned the MOST fat while we slept.
I am a honey freak on androgen cycle, I will try it.

And one more thing, I find that having a small source of carbs a little while before I go to bed helps me sleep. I think a facinating study would be if the small insulin up followed by the small crash helps in the release of certain hormones perticlary when it is a more quality sleep.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
Does anybody know off hand what hoenys GI is? If it is fructose that would mean it is a slow burning carb source. meaning glycogen would slowly fueled, and perhaps, perhaps freeing up more adipose tissue due to there beeing no compition. I think it is an intersting concept. We as bodybuilders have been trying to preserve muscle while we sleep, I had no idea we burned the MOST fat while we slept.
I am a honey freak on androgen cycle, I will try it.

And one more thing, I find that having a small source of carbs a little while before I go to bed helps me sleep. I think a facinating study would be if the small insulin up followed by the small crash helps in the release of certain hormones perticlary when it is a more quality sleep.
Cool, let us know your results.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Honey is not purely fructose. I should say commercially available honey isn't. Most commercially available honey has been refined repeatedly by various enzymes and processes producing a mixture of both glucose and fructose.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Well bobo, could you tell me what would be my best bet? I am 6'1 200lbs around 10% bf and trying to cut down to about like you in your avatar. What should i do?
LOL... You're not serious are you? :welcome:

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure this is true. I remember study a stating blood glucose levels had little impact on GH secretions at night. THe usual insulin/GH counteraction was not observed. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Bobo,

how did you go in your hunt for this study?

this subject interests the hell outta me!! love to read more on it.

a friend of mine (years ago) told me about the value of cammomile tea & honey before bed & it worked great. i slept well & woke up feeling good to.

the only reason i stopped doing it was because of the "No Carbs before Bed" rule.

BTW i was quite surprised to find out that honey only had a moderate score on the G.I. scale. about 55 i think.

Jag

taffer

Awards
Bobo,

how did you go in your hunt for this study?

this subject interests the hell outta me!! love to read more on it.
bump to that, i would REALLY like to see that study :D

EDIT: i found this study, seems to be right, i think, however im not good at reading/fully understanding studies (need to goto med school or something :p)

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
never heard anything else about the honey before bed, was that all just a crock?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Does it just have to be honey? From reading the article - you could eat any form of fructose to make this 'diet' work. Is there really somethng in the honey that potentiates fat loss, or do the creators of this diet need a 'hook' in order to sell books?

Hibernation diet and Honey start with an 'H', Bears hibernate, plus they eat honey. Wait - bears are fat as hell!!!:D

I dont know man - I drank a glass of NLarge2 everynight before bed for 2 years (before I knew how to bulk right). Most of the carbs in NLarge come from fructose - and I packed on chunk like nobody's business.

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
N-Large...aka Fatboy Powder. Yeah I bulked up pretty good on that stuff...but not the right kind of bulk LOL.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
the only reason i stopped doing it was because of the "No Carbs before Bed" rule.
Please don't tell me you really believe in this rule???

CrimsonOsiris

Board Supporter
Awards
concerning the issue about burning a greater ratio of fat while sleeping, perhaps the whole obesity to hours slept per night link could be related to that. i think i remember reading that some studies showed a link in the amount of sleep a person gets each night and their chance of obesity.

one does not prove the other, but maybe they can infer some conclusions?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Please don't tell me you really believe in this rule???
not any more. i sometimes have oats before bed now & have never slept better. oats have always put me to sleep

how the hell do these so-called "DO NOT" rules get started anyway?

has the "DO NOT take Calcium with Zinc" rule still alive & well????

sometimes the more more knowledge you have the worse off you are!!!

Jag

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
I don't know how the whole do not eat carbs before bed thign got started but yeah you're right its crazy. I think there is some evidence to not take calcium and ZMA at the same time however.