Ketosis Diet

  1. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Ketosis Diet


    Hi all, pretty new to all this forum stuff but I'm hoping everyone is nice..

    Anyways - I want to start a ketosis diet (2 weeks on 1 week off thing) and I wanted anyone experienced in this diet to let me know how to go about starting and staying on this diet as I've heard it is very hard to stick to. Also should I stick with my current training plan or do I have I change the workout to suit my depleted glycogen stores? And lastly how fast would I be able to see results? I am currently at 83-85 kg mark as it often fluctuates and have been lifting for a year if that helps...

    Thanks in advance!

  2. New Member
    exrugger's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    16423
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    74.55%

    I noticed the easiest way to stick to the diet is having good recipes and cooking almost every meal. Also, when you feel the 'keto-flu' it is normal. To help w side effects I found that drinking extra water and taking in fat helps.
  3. New Member
    Dogsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

    +1 on getting the cooking done ahead of time. Take a Saturday or Sunday and get your stuff made for the week. Do not expect miracles. If you eat too much on a low carb diet, you will still gain fat. There is no reason you should change up your work out routine. Some people advocate HIIT for cardio, other say steady state is best. You need to find out what works best for you. Your weight training may suffer a little because you are only taking about 30% of your calories from protein, but nothing consequential. As your glycogen falls off, you will start feeling tired and rung out, this is the "Keto Flu". It will pass.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    What about cardio frequency? I was planning to do 3-4 HIIT sessions on a stationary bike.
  5. New Member
    Pypp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    45810
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    37.4%

    Buy psyllium husk before keto, first time I did keto I was backed up for a week. Not a pleasurable experience.
  6. New Member
    Dogsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisdiwas View Post
    What about cardio frequency? I was planning to do 3-4 HIIT sessions on a stationary bike.
    Not to sound vague, but what ever floats your boat. I do cardio everyday, steady state on lift days (3 day split) and off days I do HIIT on the treadmill. Again what ever works for you, as long as your heart rate gets up and you sweat.
  7. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post

    Not to sound vague, but what ever floats your boat. I do cardio everyday, steady state on lift days (3 day split) and off days I do HIIT on the treadmill. Again what ever works for you, as long as your heart rate gets up and you sweat.
    What's your HIIT routine like? I find it quite difficult to stick to mine!
  8. New Member
    Dogsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

    I do a 5/3, 5 minutes easy, 3 minutes balls to the wall. I do 5 cycles or roughly 40 minutes. If you are having a hard time with HIIT, maybe you should back off some. How are you doing yours?
  9. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Currently I do 1 min slow and 30 secs fast as I can, I find I don't recover enough and sometimes that's why I have to stop. Should I increase it to 3 mins slow and 30 secs fast? I mean I sweat like a bi*ch anyways no matter what cardio I do.
  10. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Also can someone give me some good examples of a decent meal plan in rough so I have some sort of idea what sort of foods I'm looking at please!
  11. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Why the 2 weeks on 1 week off? Why not just do weekly carb up days?

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisdiwas
    Currently I do 1 min slow and 30 secs fast as I can, I find I don't recover enough and sometimes that's why I have to stop. Should I increase it to 3 mins slow and 30 secs fast? I mean I sweat like a bi*ch anyways no matter what cardio I do.
    Try the 3 minutes rest and 30 sprint. It will allow you to push harder during your sprints. Also would do HIIT close after your carb up to deplete glycogen stores but that's about it.

    Similarly might want to prioritize your workouts. You might have to back off the volume as you get further away from your carb ups.

    As far as the diet don't turn this into a low fat diet. Eat red meat, fish, eggs, bacon, sausage, coconut oil, grass fed butter, chicken. Basically meat and then add fat if it isn't fatty.
  12. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    I had a quick read through some posts on various websites and 2 weeks on and one week off came up a few times? But carb up days sounds a lot better, thanks!

    Yeah I was planning to do a 5x5 thing.
  13. New Member
    Dogsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

    That 2 weeks on one off you mentioned, I hope that isn't concerning your keto plan. Go two weeks, then take ONE day off and carb up. In one week, if you are carb sensitive, you can unravel what you did for the two weeks.
  14. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Yeah I did think that it was a bit strange having a whole week off!
  15. New Member
    missesmonique's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  148 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    30
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    15783
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    6.53%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post
    That 2 weeks on one off you mentioned, I hope that isn't concerning your keto plan. Go two weeks, then take ONE day off and carb up. In one week, if you are carb sensitive, you can unravel what you did for the two weeks.
    I agree with this. One day off. A week will put you out of Ketosis.
  16. New Member
    steven48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    85
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.02%

    I'm on week 4. There's really no reason to take a week off. You won't lose muscle and once you get past the brain foggy period (1st week for me), the diet is a breeze and results are awesome. Don't do a ton of cardio in the beginning there's no need, I just started doing a lot of cardio this past week. Just make sure you get creative, eat stuff you like. Bacon is my best friend in the morning and peanut butter at night.
  17. New Member
    steven48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    85
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.02%

    Also I would invest in a George foreman. Easy cooking and cleaning
  18. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Quote Originally Posted by steven48 View Post
    I'm on week 4. There's really no reason to take a week off. You won't lose muscle and once you get past the brain foggy period (1st week for me), the diet is a breeze and results are awesome. Don't do a ton of cardio in the beginning there's no need, I just started doing a lot of cardio this past week. Just make sure you get creative, eat stuff you like. Bacon is my best friend in the morning and peanut butter at night.
    How many meals are you sticking with? The normal 6 or? How quick are your results coming on? Thank you!
  19. New Member
    steven48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    85
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.02%

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisdiwas View Post
    How many meals are you sticking with? The normal 6 or? How quick are your results coming on? Thank you!
    I take carnitine and all my multis/fish oil soon as i wake up. Then I usually eat a big breakfast, around 5 eggs & 5 slices of bacon. Get my workout in and cook. My diet mainly consists of grilled chicken breast with lemon pepper. Ill cut it up and put it in a huge salad and eat it throughout the day. Throw some ranch in it for flavor and to get fats. I'd day the salad splits into a good 4-5 meals as I eat it throughout the day. At the end of the night ill eat some crunchy peanut butter if I need more protein/fat (making sure I don't exceed 30g carbs tho). Olive oil is also easy way to get fat and its very healthy, I've read many reports it prevents cardiovascular disease. As far as results go I started at 230, I'm down to 220 and starting to see my abs so probably 11-12% bf. All my pants/shorts are super loose, having to wear a belt. I tried clen during week 3 but it fked with my workouts so I decided to drop it till later.
  20. New Member
    mynameisdiwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7893
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    56%

    Quote Originally Posted by steven48 View Post
    I take carnitine and all my multis/fish oil soon as i wake up. Then I usually eat a big breakfast, around 5 eggs & 5 slices of bacon. Get my workout in and cook. My diet mainly consists of grilled chicken breast with lemon pepper. Ill cut it up and put it in a huge salad and eat it throughout the day. Throw some ranch in it for flavor and to get fats. I'd day the salad splits into a good 4-5 meals as I eat it throughout the day. At the end of the night ill eat some crunchy peanut butter if I need more protein/fat (making sure I don't exceed 30g carbs tho). Olive oil is also easy way to get fat and its very healthy, I've read many reports it prevents cardiovascular disease. As far as results go I started at 230, I'm down to 220 and starting to see my abs so probably 11-12% bf. All my pants/shorts are super loose, having to wear a belt. I tried clen during week 3 but it fked with my workouts so I decided to drop it till later.
    Thank you that is a heap of help! In terms of workouts for the first week what did you do?
  21. New Member
    steven48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    85
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.02%

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisdiwas View Post
    Thank you that is a heap of help! In terms of workouts for the first week what did you do?
    I just changed the rep scheme to lower reps. Also switch it up between barbell and dumbbell.

    MONDAY: Chest, Back, Abs


    High intensity workouts with 60 sec rest between sets, 90 sec rest between


    each exercise


    (this excludes all warm up sets)


    Bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    T-bar Row 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    Incline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    Latpulldown to front 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    Dips or Decline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    Shrugs 3 sets, 6-10 reps


    Flys (any type) 2 sets, 10-12 reps


    Reverse flys 2 sets, 10-12 reps


    Stiff-leg deadlift 3 sets, 10-12 reps


    Rope ab crunch 3 sets, 10-15 reps


    Reverse crunch 3 sets, 10-20 reps


    TUESDAY: Shoulders, Arms


    Same intensity mentioned before


    Behind the neck shoulder press 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    Military press 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    Preacher curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    French press or "skull-crushers" 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    Shoulder raises (any type) 2 sets, 8-10 reps


    Hammers 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    V-bar tricep press 3 sets, 8-10 reps


    Forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps


    Reverse forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps


    Wednesday: Rest or Cardio


    Thursday morning: Rest or Cardio


    Later on Thursday: Legs


    Same intensity mentioned before


    Squat or Leg press 4 sets, 6-10 reps


    Lying leg curl 4 sets, 6-10 reps


    Standing calf raise 4 sets 6-10 reps


    Leg extensions 4 sets, 10-12 reps


    Seated leg curl 4 sets, 10-12 reps


    Seated calf raise 4 sets, 10-12 reps


    Friday night: Final Workout


    Same intensity mentioned before


    Bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps


    T-bar Row 2 sets, 6-10 reps


    Incline bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps


    Latpulldown to front 2 sets, 6-10 reps


    Behind the neck shoulder press 1 set, 8-10 reps


    Military press 1 set, 8-10 reps


    Either curl exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps


    Either tricep exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps


    Stiffleg deadift 1 set, 8-10 reps


    Normal floor ab crunch 2 sets, 10-20 reps


    Reverse crunches 2 sets, 10-20 reps
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Ketosis diet while on epi 11 oxox
    By schwellington in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 05:53 PM
  2. Ketosis Diet and carbs
    By Vintastic in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
  3. Anabolic Diet Questions ( General CKD / Ketosis )
    By proeliator in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
  4. Ketosis diet, best? or is there better?
    By Grifter in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 01:43 PM
  5. Do all low-carb diets rely on ketosis for results?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in