Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

Question Fat loss after Holidays - 1st approach to Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    alternate day fasting(ADF): 24 hours eating/24 hour fast repeat
    eat stop eat: one or two 24 hour fasts per week on nonconsecutive days (basically a less aggressive alternate day fast)
    intermittent fasting(IF): train fasted, have your biggest meal post workout and you have an eating window 4-8 hours long.

what to eat during a fast? stimulants, water, fiber, anything with no calories. you can toss in some vegetables when you first start to make it easier, just dont cook them with butter or something, that defeats the point of fasting.

what are they used for? all of them are used for burning fat. you can toss in a day or two of fasting per week on a bulk and turn it into a lean bulk. how long can they be used for? forever, the secret is that as long as your still hitting decent macros in IF you can maintain your metabolism. with ADF, you reset your metabolism every other day when you eat so your metabolism never slows. you can get down to pretty low bodyfat by using these methods, with ADF fat loss of 2lbs per week is very much doable without losing muscle. your weight will zig zag tho from a lack of carbs on fast day and you will lose a lot of water weight. if you dont eat enough carbs on your eat day you may start to look flat after some time, but all you have to do is skip a fasting day (eat 3 days in a row) and you get a glycogen supercompensation effect so u look even bigger.
    so, after those holidays, I'd like to do some IF (intermittent fasting). Matter is, I train in the evening and want to take protein with water + bcaa after each weight training. Any help on how I should setup my fasting/training regime?
    Biotivia Pro Max Phase 2 Supplement Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/200246-biotivia-pro-max.html

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.97%

If you're doing lean gains version of IF, just eat 1 or 2 meals before your workout followed by a large post workout meal. Like it was recommended to you in another thread, Martin has a bunch of different layouts on his website and in the PDF. One of them is actually for people who train in the evening. Don't over think the diet because it really isn't that hard to follow but I would suggest taking the time to read the information available. As for ADF, I don't have any experience with that so I'll let someone else chime in.
    im the sh!t, even your girlfriend can smell it
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

this is the base protocol

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

I have to adjust it for me that train around 7.30 pm, whether it's weights or cardio.

after training I take the BCAA+protein I guess.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/200246-biotivia-pro-max.html
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.97%

You could always push your 8hr meal window further back i.e. 2-10, 3-11, etc. You could also shorten the window to less then 8hrs if you go to sleep earlier as well. It's highly adaptable to your lifestyle.
    im the sh!t, even your girlfriend can smell it
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

mm I'd say that eating window should be like 14-22/13.30-21.30 because, with showever and everything, a lot of time is lost.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

I would also recommend making that 12-1 PM meal carb free... Most important part of IF, don't under eat. Make sure you get you calories...
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

no carbs at all?
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
    no carbs at all?
    I really like low carb diets or carb cycling. I always do best on them. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to do UD 2.0 again and three days of my week will essentially be no carbs or trace carbs.

As for the IF stuff (which I utilize close to year round, even during UD 2.0) you really need to read leangains for the information at best. And then remember to not get too anal about the window. The best part as was said earlier is how adaptable it is. And if lunch cuts your window a bit short or long either way I wouldn't sweat it.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    I really like low carb diets or carb cycling. I always do best on them. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to do UD 2.0 again and three days of my week will essentially be no carbs or trace carbs.

As for the IF stuff (which I utilize close to year round, even during UD 2.0) you really need to read leangains for the information at best. And then remember to not get too anal about the window. The best part as was said earlier is how adaptable it is. And if lunch cuts your window a bit short or long either way I wouldn't sweat it.
    Gave him the book for IF, he wasn't interested in reading it.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

Question

read the book, but still have some doubts tbh. can you post what you do?
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

Just try it for 2 weeks. If your numbers are right u will lose weight.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

makes sense I guess
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

LOL, now after I tried helping, showed the ropes, provided with a book, gave info, to top it all off, he goes on a neg'ing vendetta on me. Hilarious. Going far in life, kid. Going far in life.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.92%

Really thinking about giving IF a go this year, a lot people rave about it
    Junior
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

Quote Originally Posted by robmm View Post
    Really thinking about giving IF a go this year, a lot people rave about it
    I cannot post links yet, but for your convenience
    On training days (3x/week), eat maintenance + 20%
    • Keep carbs high, protein moderate and fat low. Carbs should be the dominant
    macronutrient this day.
    • Split the meals so that you get 60-80% of total calorie intake in the post-workout period,
    either by eating one pre-workout meal of 20% of total calorie intake per the example
    provided earlier. If you workout in the evening, eat two meals, each of 20% total calorie
    intake, and then one big meal of 60% post-workout.
    • Good food choices this day includes sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and other sources of
    complex carbs and lean protein sources such as chicken, fat-trimmed beef and white fish.
    Don’t be afraid to add some carb dense treats in the post-workout period, such as cereal,
    low fat ice cream and similar foods. You get to eat quite a lot post-workout and there’s no
    use being extremely obsessive by only eating “clean” foods.
    On rest days (4x/week), eat maintenance – 20%
    • Keep protein high, fat moderate and carbs low. Protein should be the dominant
    macronutrient this day.
    • Split the meals so that you get 35% of total calorie intake and at least (body weight x 0.4)
    grams of protein in your first meal.
    • Add some low or moderate intensity cardio to speed up fat loss.
    • Good food choices this day includes lots of veggies, moderate amounts of fruit and berries,
    lean and fattier type of meats like ground beef and fish like salmon, whole eggs and egg
    whites, and good fat sources like avocado, olives and almonds.
    • Always end this day with a slow digesting protein source such as casein or meat with some
    veggies to slow digestion.
    EDIT: just stating the obvious, but this comes from the author's PDF "the Leangains approach final". He's also got a book in the works, unsure if he has completed it yet.

the protocols are over the main website of the author.

this is day 1 for me. let's see if the hype is matched.

apparently BCAA before workout don't count as feed time.
    Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 01-02-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Because a pretentious cretin neg-repped me over a trivial thing.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

this is the base protocol

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

I have to adjust it for me that train around 7.30 pm, whether it's weights or cardio.

after training I take the BCAA+protein I guess.
    Do I have to follow this meal plan even on non-training days?
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

day 0/1 passed. was cranky up til the first meal lol.
    I have to say I expected more weight loss but, to be fair, I have more bf than what author recommends.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.95%

It was day 1 man. Takes a bit to get used to fasting but it works. I've lost about 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Just tough it out for a bit to see if this diet works for you.
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

day 0/2. am 200g more than yesterday :P
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

So, you're accessing the efficiency of a diet based on a 2 day result?
  21. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%

I like to actually assess my diets by the hour. If I haven't lost a pound in an hour I'll assume the diet is crap
    EvoMuse Products Rep

22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

No. I am trying to make a day-by-day log by registering everything.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

I like to actually assess my diets by the hour. If I haven't lost a pound in an hour I'll assume the diet is crap
    01.04.2013, Minute: 660; haven't felt much of a change from Minute 559. Will re-access the situation on 661, although I feel slightly hungrier than 558.

Edit: Minute 665, I feel less hungry than on 558. May be due to the coffee I just drank, but I am not 100% positive.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

I think this was sarcasm aimed at me
  25. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%

I think this was sarcasm aimed at me
    Yeah, but it's common place if you're just starting out and a common problem. Whether it's supplements, diets, training, whatever changes don't take place overnight and over or under reacting to the lack of changes often makes things worse. Come in with a solid plan, stick to it for a while to give it a chance to honestly gauge your response, then make adjustments.

I need to drop some fat. I didn't get that extra fat overnight. And I won't get ripped overnight. It's a process.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

Yeah, but it's common place if you're just starting out and a common problem. Whether it's supplements, diets, training, whatever changes don't take place overnight and over or under reacting to the lack of changes often makes things worse. Come in with a solid plan, stick to it for a while to give it a chance to honestly gauge your response, then make adjustments.

I need to drop some fat. I didn't get that extra fat overnight. And I won't get ripped overnight. It's a process.
    then again, I wasn't passing any judgment. to be accurate one should register often info and then make an average.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

Day 0/3. A bit more weight again? I dunno. Trying to cope with fasting in a better way.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

day 0/4: the last day was kinda cheated because my sis wanted a pizza before she left and my parents nade nothing else to eat, so a lot of carbs on a non-training day. no weight loss at all, in fact, some weight increase. ah well.

I still would like someone who does leangains AND trains in the evening to share their eating regime, if they please
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.96%

day 0/4: the last day was kinda cheated because my sis wanted a pizza before she left and my parents nade nothing else to eat, so a lot of carbs on a non-training day. no weight loss at all, in fact, some weight increase. ah well.

I still would like someone who does leangains AND trains in the evening to share their eating regime, if they please
    There is literally a layout for this on Martins website...its really not hard dude. Leangains is honestly really simple, its so simple that you feel like it can't be that simple so you try and overcomplicate it (if that makes sense). I did the same thing when I first started. Seriously...its THAT simple.
    Current Unsponsored XGELS log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/238229-jswains-run-xgels.html
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

I know I posted it in the previous page. I guess it is the same layout for workout and non-workout days.

BTW

Day 1: down again, by very little. today is a wo day so I kinda expect a good meal after the evening workout :P

EDIT: for referencing purposes, the actual guide is here. obviously not mine blah blah blah. nice to see it archived in a blog for a change
    Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 01-07-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: done what someone should have done at the beginning.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

day 2. almost a whole kg down. I did think I had fallen into the overeat sin, however. will try harder today.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

perhaps letting us know what you ate, when you ate it would be helpful as well...

I am always curious to see how people handle their eating windows and carb consumption.
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

tried to follow it by the book. lots of carbs, moderate protein and trying to keep fat as low as possible.
  34. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%

tried to follow it by the book. lots of carbs, moderate protein and trying to keep fat as low as possible.
    I can't open that link at work, but the first thing I would do is lower carbs and increase protein intake. I have no idea why one would try to keep fat as low as possible either.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

on Workout days the author says that Carbs should be the highest priority, protein middle and fat lowest.

straight from author pdf, for your convenience.
    On training days (3x/week), eat maintenance + 20%
    • Keep carbs high, protein moderate and fat low. Carbs should be the dominant
    macronutrient this day.
    • Split the meals so that you get 60-80% of total calorie intake in the post-workout period,
    either by eating one pre-workout meal of 20% of total calorie intake per the example
    provided earlier. If you workout in the evening, eat two meals, each of 20% total calorie
    intake, and then one big meal of 60% post-workout.
    • Good food choices this day includes sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and other sources of
    complex carbs and lean protein sources such as chicken, fat-trimmed beef and white fish.
    Don’t be afraid to add some carb dense treats in the post-workout period, such as cereal,
    low fat ice cream and similar foods. You get to eat quite a lot post-workout and there’s no
    use being extremely obsessive by only eating “clean” foods.

On rest days (4x/week), eat maintenance – 20%
    • Keep protein high, fat moderate and carbs low. Protein should be the dominant
    macronutrient this day.
    • Split the meals so that you get 35% of total calorie intake and at least (body weight x 0.4)
    grams of protein in your first meal.
    • Add some low or moderate intensity cardio to speed up fat loss.
    • Good food choices this day includes lots of veggies, moderate amounts of fruit and berries,
    lean and fattier type of meats like ground beef and fish like salmon, whole eggs and egg
    whites, and good fat sources like avocado, olives and almonds.
    • Always end this day with a slow digesting protein source such as casein or meat with some
    veggies to slow digestion.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

Fats and Protein are the predominant nutrients on any day that you are not training. And carbs shouldn't be added until close to workout period, which means in your first meal they should be close to null.
  37. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%

Well that makes more sense than what I read your post as which read to me like high carbs every day. I do best on carb cycling or low carb diets when it comes to fat loss. Obviously I'd increase these on workout days, but even then if I'm trying to lose fat I rarely go overboard with them.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

I wonder if this can be applied also for those who train in the evening, considering that the 2nd meal is still supposed to be around 2hrs before the workout. or I am mistaken?
  39. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.24%

I wonder if this can be applied also for those who train in the evening, considering that the 2nd meal is still supposed to be around 2hrs before the workout. or I am mistaken?
    You're making this too complicated. I train in the afternoon. Window is from 12-8. If you train later just adjust your window. Eat however you want to just make it within an 8 hour window. That's intermittent fasting.

The details are entirely up to you. You can pretty much adjust any diet to make it IF. You just switch everything to be within the window.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.87%

that's simply not possible. Every diet I have done was like "eat tibetan fungi, madagascarian meat and north pole's water. put everything into a cauldron, stick counter-clockwise and eat only during a full moon".
    whatever I want to eat in a 8-period window as long as I say around 2000 calories in the whole period... it's just wrong :P

Similar Forum Threads

1. animal eaters toggling approach to muscle gain and fat loss
    By animaleater in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 01:35 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 12:00 PM
  4. Supps to help with fat loss, for hypothyroidism?
    By J_MAN in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
  5. Fat Loss- Something To Think About
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 01:45 PM