Deployed Nutrition Help

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.17%

Deployed Nutrition Help

I am currently depoyed to Afghanistan, and need help from anyone with deployed nutrition knowledge.

I just turned 34, am 5'7", and weigh a very soft 220 lbs. My goals are to trim down somewhere between 190 and 200 lbs. I also have strengh gain goals (specifically sculpting my chest and reaching a personal bench goal of 300lbs), but that has been put on the back burner due to a possible broken thumb. Also of note, I have low test levels and am prescribed 4mg ANDRODERM patches.

So, after all that, my question is this: I can get to the chow hall regularly, but they always have a smorgasboard of crap. What suggestions can be made for meals that will help me with my goals? Most meals are consistant with what is served if bland and unappealing.

Thanks For Any Help,

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.55%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by warriormagee View Post
    I am currently depoyed to Afghanistan, and need help from anyone with deployed nutrition knowledge.

I just turned 34, am 5'7", and weigh a very soft 220 lbs. My goals are to trim down somewhere between 190 and 200 lbs. I also have strengh gain goals (specifically sculpting my chest and reaching a personal bench goal of 300lbs), but that has been put on the back burner due to a possible broken thumb. Also of note, I have low test levels and am prescribed 4mg ANDRODERM patches.

So, after all that, my question is this: I can get to the chow hall regularly, but they always have a smorgasboard of crap. What suggestions can be made for meals that will help me with my goals? Most meals are consistant with what is served if bland and unappealing.

Thanks For Any Help,
    whats typically available?
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.83%

Try to get LG index carbs. Since you are in the military im guessing you are doing a lot of walking and stuff so do not get rid of your carbs, or shou will feel like crap. Also try to have 4-6 meals a day or 3 main meals and some snacks in between. As for what to eat try to go for sources of protein that are lean (not too high on fat) and that should be enough to start with.
    Being 220 has its bemefits. It means you dont have to go too low in calories to lose weight.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

It's hard to say not knowing what you have in your chow hall. Each of the bases are different. Take mine for example. The FOB that I am on has a chow hall that is run by the Aussies. We actually have tons of pretty good fruit available. Vegetables tend to be repetitive, but are fresh. When it comes to proteins, usually even there lean proteins are cooked in some manner that adds calories/fats. In the end I try and pick the cleanest lean proteins that I can, and load up on veggies and fruits. In addition I have my protein powder, and snacks that are sent from home. My wife sends me out canned chicken and tuna, peanut butter, things like that.

All in all, watch calories, pick lean meats, cut back on carbs from rice, potatoes, etc and replace them with more veggies/fruits. In the end, undoubtedly you will need to suck it up and eat food that all in all are not too appealing to you. Especially in a DFAC, but that's par for the course when deployed. Unless you one of those *******s who lives his deployment out on places like Kandahar and have a TGIF's available lol

Be sure to keep up with cardio. I do variations from HIIT to long distance, always either running or C2 rower. I'm also a big fan of various 5x5 lifting styles or things similar. Because they can help increase or maintain strength especially when cutting, and they don't take as much time in the gym as other programs can so i am left with time to do cardio.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.17%

Thanks All,

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some I guess), I'm on BAF. Due to my work schedule, i have only been going to chow for dinner consistantly. Meals for the last 2 days looked like this:

Day 1:
    5.5oz can V8 juice when i woke up(these are always stocked at chow hall)

Salad and a Coke for meal (consisting of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, green olives, grilled beef strips, and honey mustard dressing)

2oz bag Famous Amous Chocolate Chip cookies for snack

Day 2
    5.5oz can V8 juice when i woke up

Beef Jerky(.9oz Jack Link's 70 calories/13g protein somewhere between waking up and dinner these show up at chow hall sporadically)

1Sprite, 1hamburger patty with BBQ sauce, 4-5 strips of BBQ beef(not sure what kind but real thin slices), and french fries with ketchup

2oz package Trail Mix snack (140 cal and 5g protein, show up spradically as well)

These are all seperated by a few hours. I also have access to fresh fruits and 8oz Hersheys chocolate milk 2% reduced fat with 200 ca and 8g protein( usually stocked at chow hall). I also drink 3-5 500ml bottles of water daily.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.55%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by warriormagee View Post
    Thanks All,

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some I guess), I'm on BAF. Due to my work schedule, i have only been going to chow for dinner consistantly. Meals for the last 2 days looked like this:

Day 1:
    5.5oz can V8 juice when i woke up(these are always stocked at chow hall)

Salad and a Coke for meal (consisting of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, green olives, grilled beef strips, and honey mustard dressing)

2oz bag Famous Amous Chocolate Chip cookies for snack

Day 2
    5.5oz can V8 juice when i woke up

Beef Jerky(.9oz Jack Link's 70 calories/13g protein somewhere between waking up and dinner these show up at chow hall sporadically)

1Sprite, 1hamburger patty with BBQ sauce, 4-5 strips of BBQ beef(not sure what kind but real thin slices), and french fries with ketchup

2oz package Trail Mix snack (140 cal and 5g protein, show up spradically as well)

These are all seperated by a few hours. I also have access to fresh fruits and 8oz Hersheys chocolate milk 2% reduced fat with 200 ca and 8g protein( usually stocked at chow hall). I also drink 3-5 500ml bottles of water daily.
    That is not much food at all man. At least up the protein. A lot
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.17%

I know. As soon as I get settled in, I plan on making time for at least a 2nd chow break (not sure if it will be lunch or breakfast) and bringing back a plate to suffice for a third meal. I am not doing any cardio at the moment because I am eating so little. I can tell I'm losing some weight, but it's not in a good way, so it'll prob come back quickly if I'm not careful.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Football Player.. Nutrition Help!
    By jemmons95 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
  2. Nutrition help
    By rubyhead in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM
  3. Nutrition help due to training change
    By jspillane08 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
  4. nutrition help
    By kkr in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 01:52 AM
  5. Deployed: Nutrition and wanting to get big.
    By VillainStroke in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:04 PM