Expert Advise would be appreciated

1. Registered User

Expert Advise would be appreciated

I am an ex-pro athlete and since marriage and kids let myslef go. I know nutrition has changed dramatically from my days of my competing (retired in 1998), but I think I have read up on all the latest reccomendations. I am also doing HIIT cardio supplemented with weight traing 6 days a week. Anyways, I am using "Lose it" to monitor all my calories and macro nutrients put in my body daily. I am 6'1" and weigh 300.4lbs (no change from last week...according to my math I should lose 2 per week).
    Weekly Average of macro nutrients are:
    (Daily)
    Fat: 74g
    Carbs: 226.3g (complex)
    Protien: 240g
    Calorie intake per day about: 2390
    I'm hoping this is the main reason I am not losing like I thought. I am taking 500mg of testosterone a week, will this prevent weight loss? I know it will build muscle and I should still lose fat, but I cannot be 300lbs for life.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I know someone will ask for typical eating day so here u go:
    8am - Syntha 6 Protien Shake
    (workout)
    1030 - 1c brown rice, 5 egg whites, and 1 whole egg, with a cup of green veggies
    1230 - 1c brown rice, 4-6 oz of baked fish w/green veggies
    230 - 20 alminds and 1.5 oz beef jerky
    5 - lean chicken or steak with 1c whole grain pasta and salad or green veggies
    7 - Syntha 6 protien Shake
    830 - cottage cheese
    Thanks in advance!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Have you been losing & now stalling? My first hunch would be that 2400 cals sounds a bit too low for that much output at your height/weight. Bumping the cals up a bit, or a cheat meal here & there, may get things going again.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  3. Registered User

I have only been dieting for 6 weeks. I came down from 316 but now after this week didn't lose a freaking thing. I would love to have a cheat meal but if I'm not losing at this level. Mathematically I see it just slowing me down more. My strength is going through the roof (thanks to testosterone). I'm hoping that I have put on lean muscle and that is why I didn't lose? Is it possible for me to not lose weight (while on test) with a 7000 calorie define cy per week (2lbs of fat loss)?
    Thanks for replying
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bamnuts
    I have only been dieting for 6 weeks. I came down from 316 but now after this week didn't lose a freaking thing. I would love to have a cheat meal but if I'm not losing at this level. Mathematically I see it just slowing me down more. My strength is going through the roof (thanks to testosterone). I'm hoping that I have put on lean muscle and that is why I didn't lose? Is it possible for me to not lose weight (while on test) with a 7000 calorie define cy per week (2lbs of fat loss)?
    Thanks for replying
    The test will not prevent weight loss. Isnt its selling point, but it should help with weight loss. As stated. Up the calories. Less food doesnt mean more weight loss. There is a point of diminishing returns, and a point of negative returns. Im 6ft 3. 215 10 percent bf. and my bmr (maintenance with no exercise factored in) is 3300. Then when u throw in the~700 cal i burn in the gym, i have to eat 4000 cal to maintain, roughly 3500 minimum for weight loss. So you are WAY below where you should be. We're not saying eat pizza lol. But eat more clean foods. Double up on the brown rice. Throw some healty fats. EVOO over your chicken and what not.
  5. Registered User

I will humbly submit to ur wisdom. It flies in the phase of what I assume but that is why I asked for expert advise?
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bamnuts
    I will humbly submit to ur wisdom. It flies in the phase of what I assume but that is why I asked for expert advise?
    Well, im not an expert i dont guess lol. Just have experience i suppose. And yeah man, i think thats why so many kids and people who arent just ate up with the lifestyle wont ever get the results they want. Because more cardio, less food, heavier lifting all sounds like a solid plan. And it is. To a point. And finding that point can be tough. I would google "bmr calculator" and put ur stats in and see what it tells you. Prolly not 100000% accurate, but a good baseline. And a good rule of thumb is to add however many calories you burn in the gym/cardio/HIIT to that bmr number, and subtract 500 for weight loss. Chill there for a couple weeks, and when the weight loss slows again, drop another 100. Repeat that a few more times, and then figure your bmr and whatnot at your new weight, and start all over! Plain and simple, steady and maintainable.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Your body will adjust to lower cals, so a cheat meal can help keep all cylinders firing, so to speak.

With all the test, you could be putting on muscle, but I would doubt that muscle would come on that quickly being in such a deficit. I know personally, I stalled out on weight loss at @2200 cals & have been testing the waters around @2700-3000 with success & I'm down to @170 (I'm aiming at a lean bulk more so than straight loss, though) Just my take, but even in a deficit, you still gotta feed the beast -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by grandroid828 View Post
    Well, im not an expert i dont guess lol. Just have experience i suppose. And yeah man, i think thats why so many kids and people who arent just ate up with the lifestyle wont ever get the results they want. Because more cardio, less food, heavier lifting all sounds like a solid plan. And it is. To a point. And finding that point can be tough. I would google "bmr calculator" and put ur stats in and see what it tells you. Prolly not 100000% accurate, but a good baseline. And a good rule of thumb is to add however many calories you burn in the gym/cardio/HIIT to that bmr number, and subtract 500 for weight loss. Chill there for a couple weeks, and when the weight loss slows again, drop another 100. Repeat that a few more times, and then figure your bmr and whatnot at your new weight, and start all over! Plain and simple, steady and maintainable.
    ^^nailed it -
  9. Registered User

Thanks to all. I just sort of cheated and ate a steak chipotle (steak salsa lettuce sour cream a d cheese only). 745 calories but the flour tortilla was a no no for me but maybe it will work. I will pump my calories up 250 a day and see what happens. I am a dense/endomorph body type and I know I have to watch the simple (flour) carbs. This meal was a treat and I feel guilty. I am a strong person my best bench was 460 and my best squat was 625. I feel I am at least up to a 360 lb bench again in 6 weeks of training. Squatting however is not as fun/important for me because I'm not competing. It sucks being a fat old married dad (has been). I am not a gross 300lber. I just have a huge face and belly. Anyways I wanted to give you a little more of my bodytype and see if I should change things anyway being an endomorph? Thanks again to all! Oh and btw I am 38 years old
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't sweat it too hard. Sticking to it over the long haul and being comfortable with day in, day out, it is what matters. Stress over it too much and the odds of going way off, including just giving up, increase.

You're obviously not new to tracking intake, training, and such, so I think simply allowing a cheat and recalculating your total cals will get you there....
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bamnuts View Post
    Thanks for replying
    What we are trying to say is that at your current weight and height output you have stalled because your body isnt getting enough calories. A man your size would need almost double to just maintain, but to safely and effectively start dropping weight you need to readjust your diet. My immeadiate suggestion would be to up your caloroc intake with veggies and protein. Keep your fats low, but reassess your carbs. How long have you been taking in so many meals with carbs? Try eliminating at least two of the carbs and switch out your rice and notice that you will start to drop weight relatively quickly. A friend of mine is overweight and has been stalling at 270, but she rarely eats and pounds on the treadmill for up to two hours! You'd think maybe she would be skinny , but not if you arent taking in enough calories to where your body doesnt think its starving! Give it a try....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

More protein a lot more. To be honest I don't think your getting enough protein if anything overconsume protein rather than under. Shoot for 300g protein, to give you an idea daily it could be 4 chicken breast, 4 tuna cans, 2 scoops of protein and about 20 eggwhites fill in the rest of caloric needs with some fats and carbs
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  13. Registered User

You guys (and gals) are awesome. I weigh in weds morning and I will update with my results. I really appreciate all your advise and I am using it all!
    Take care!
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bamnuts View Post
    I am an ex-pro athlete and since marriage and kids let myslef go. I know nutrition has changed dramatically from my days of my competing (retired in 1998)
    Seem you ballon'd up. I've noticed it's one way or the other, very rarely do I talk with anyone who maintains their physique. Seems it usually takes something to happen to kick their butts back in gear. I got super thin then kinda fat, hell of a roller coaster ride after athletics are done.

In for the update and help if I can. You'll get back to it, no doubt!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  15. Registered User

Update is late. I weighed in the day before thanksgiving and gained .4lbs. Wow that was disappointing. The good news is that I feel my body getting harder. I've had people ask if I lost weight. I guess I am going to worry about measurements and not the scale at the moment. I will weigh in next weds. I am afraid to weigh in this week because I DID enjoy thanksgiving! Thanks again to all.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    By cslp2002 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM
  3. Somatropinne Feedback would be appreciated
    By MBigguns in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM