FAT LOSS BLOCK

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

FAT LOSS BLOCK

Friends comment on how they can't believe with all the supplements, training, super clean diet discipline, I'm not "ripped". To keep hearing that off and on is friggin' discouraging, starting in my 30s.

Something has been and still is blocking my body or preventing my body from effective fat burning, thus I remain confounded and frustrated. Perhaps to most, the usual simplistic answer is cals in/cals out, but it seems it's more than that because my cals are not in excess and in fact are under my TEE (approx. 2500) and just over my RMR (approx. 1550). CR (caloric restriction) does work and reduced both total weight and tiny amount of bodyfat, but CR carries risks of both catabolism and thyroid suppression which reverse
    the very issue I'm trying to resolve - fat-burning blockage.

Here's more extensive data to help evaluate this continuing dilemma.

Stats:
    Ht: 5-7
    Total weight: 170
    BF: 20% (at this much bf, I have to cut to no more than 12%, and THEN start a clean bulk)
    FFM (fat-free mass): 130

Of note: I was my leanest in my mid-20s at about 11-12% bodyfat, and weighed 140 with a 29" waist. No, I had no size, but I was lean and you could see my abs and I was pretty vascular.

Dietary regimes:
    - Leangains-style Intermittent fasting (for 8 mos. been on 18 hr fast/6 hr refeed; 10-20g BCAAs + misc. aminos pre-workout)
    - Low carb Paleo (on 1 year)
    - Ketogenic (just started 2 mos. ago)

Macros:
    - Cals: 1645
    - Protein: *95g (23%)
    - Carbs: **35g (9%)
    - Fat: 125g (68%)

*any more than this and the liver will convert it to glucose + my metabolism will use that preferentially over fat as a fuel which negates the benefits of ketosis.

** Dr. Holtorf states the following:
    "Low-carbohydrate diets will suppress thyroid function and increase reverse T3 more than comparable calorie reductions with adequate carbohydrates, so while a low-carbohydrate diet may result in initial weight loss, patients are prone to regaining weight unless the reverse T3 issue is addressed", however, new research from Drs. Phinney and Volek dispute that such has not manifested itself in any of the research subjects in their numerous studies of people who are properly following a well-formulated low-carb diet with adequate calories over the past three decades. They state that it’s calorie-restriction that brings on this low thyroid effect, not limiting carbohydrates. In addition, since I am taking exogenous T3/T4, I would think such would also cancel any possible suppression from carb restricted diets. In whose research do we believe ?

But all that doesn't really matter because I was no leaner when I was eating more carbs anyway.

Training schedule (I have been training fasted):
    - 4x's/week - 45-60 min per workout, medium-high intensity
    - 2-3 x's/week - cardio - 15-20 min. - intervals (run/walk)

Supplements: SUPP LIST SUMMARY-10-12.pdf

Hypothyroid Meds:
    - Sustained-release T4 - 75mcg/day with food
    - T4 - 25mcg/day before bed (my latest T4 level was significantly depressed @ 0.56 (ref range: 0.82-1.77)

HRT: None yet. Perhaps the missing link? Perhaps the missing link to carry me over the threshold of stubborn fat oxidation would be TRT and GHRPs?

My last T level hovers between 500-550 (ref range 348-1197); IGF-1 in the 180-200 (56-201). My last urinary HGH level, however, was 1931 (ref range: 1085-4722). The herbals T-booster supps are obviously weaker than TRT. My last DHEA-S was elevated at 453.5.

I should be at least in the mid 700s to be in midrange for T.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.24%

Holy crap! That's a lot of supplements. Is all that's really needed? I which you best of luck with your cut.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by mk3less View Post
    Holy crap! That's a lot of supplements. Is all that's really needed? I which you best of luck with your cut.
    I wouldn't be taking them if they weren't.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309 View Post
    Friends comment on how they can't believe with all the supplements, training, super clean diet discipline, I'm not "ripped". To keep hearing that off and on is friggin' discouraging, starting in my 30s.

Something has been and still is blocking my body or preventing my body from effective fat burning, thus I remain confounded and frustrated. Perhaps to most, the usual simplistic answer is cals in/cals out, but it seems it's more than that because my cals are not in excess and in fact are under my TEE (approx. 2500) and just over my RMR (approx. 1550). CR (caloric restriction) does work and reduced both total weight and tiny amount of bodyfat, but CR carries risks of both catabolism and thyroid suppression which reverse
    the very issue I'm trying to resolve - fat-burning blockage.

Here's more extensive data to help evaluate this continuing dilemma.

Stats:
    Ht: 5-7
    Total weight: 170
    BF: 20% (at this much bf, I have to cut to no more than 12%, and THEN start a clean bulk)
    FFM (fat-free mass): 130

Of note: I was my leanest in my mid-20s at about 11-12% bodyfat, and weighed 140 with a 29" waist. No, I had no size, but I was lean and you could see my abs and I was pretty vascular.

Dietary regimes:
    - Leangains-style Intermittent fasting (for 8 mos. been on 18 hr fast/6 hr refeed; 10-20g BCAAs + misc. aminos pre-workout)
    - Low carb Paleo (on 1 year)
    - Ketogenic (just started 2 mos. ago)

Macros:
    - Cals: 1645
    - Protein: *95g (23%)
    - Carbs: **35g (9%)
    - Fat: 125g (68%)

*any more than this and the liver will convert it to glucose + my metabolism will use that preferentially over fat as a fuel which negates the benefits of ketosis.

** Dr. Holtorf states the following:
    "Low-carbohydrate diets will suppress thyroid function and increase reverse T3 more than comparable calorie reductions with adequate carbohydrates, so while a low-carbohydrate diet may result in initial weight loss, patients are prone to regaining weight unless the reverse T3 issue is addressed", however, new research from Drs. Phinney and Volek dispute that such has not manifested itself in any of the research subjects in their numerous studies of people who are properly following a well-formulated low-carb diet with adequate calories over the past three decades. They state that it’s calorie-restriction that brings on this low thyroid effect, not limiting carbohydrates. In addition, since I am taking exogenous T3/T4, I would think such would also cancel any possible suppression from carb restricted diets. In whose research do we believe ?

But all that doesn't really matter because I was no leaner when I was eating more carbs anyway.

Training schedule (I have been training fasted):
    - 4x's/week - 45-60 min per workout, medium-high intensity
    - 2-3 x's/week - cardio - 15-20 min. - intervals (run/walk)

Supplements: SUPP LIST SUMMARY-10-12.pdf

Hypothyroid Meds:
    - Sustained-release T4 - 75mcg/day with food
    - T4 - 25mcg/day before bed (my latest T4 level was significantly depressed @ 0.56 (ref range: 0.82-1.77)

HRT: None yet. Perhaps the missing link? Perhaps the missing link to carry me over the threshold of stubborn fat oxidation would be TRT and GHRPs?

My last T level hovers between 500-550 (ref range 348-1197); IGF-1 in the 180-200 (56-201). My last urinary HGH level, however, was 1931 (ref range: 1085-4722). The herbals T-booster supps are obviously weaker than TRT. My last DHEA-S was elevated at 453.5.

I should be at least in the mid 700s to be in midrange for T.
    Try switching from the keto diet to a non/low fat diet with moderately low to medium carbohydrate consumption assuming you are eating only complex carbs, and on the ones that your body doesn't react to sensitive too. For example low gi foods like sweet potatoe, or oatmeal, instead of brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
    Also, Ask your doctor if he can prescribe a t3/t4 combination instead of just the t4, because although t4 converts, you may still be low on t3 overall.
    I would suggest some sort of testosterone therapy if monitored properly by your doctor, who can also put you on an anti-estrogen, which will also help you to get closer to a leaner physique.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Try switching from the keto diet to a non/low fat diet with moderately low to medium carbohydrate consumption assuming you are eating only complex carbs, and on the ones that your body doesn't react to sensitive too. For example low gi foods like sweet potatoe, or oatmeal, instead of brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
    Also, Ask your doctor if he can prescribe a t3/t4 combination instead of just the t4, because although t4 converts, you may still be low on t3 overall.
    I would suggest some sort of testosterone therapy if monitored properly by your doctor, who can also put you on an anti-estrogen, which will also help you to get closer to a leaner physique.
    Glad you brought up about the T4 - I made a typo and already am taking T3:

Hypothyroid Meds:
    - Sustained-release T3 - 75mcg/day with food

So, yes, I am doing a T3/T4 combo now whereas before, T3 only. I just started T4 because my levels were shot, probably from the T3.

I just started the keto diet and need to give it more time. I am guilty of not counting my cals lately, so that could be a major factor. I had been eating the diet you described prior to starting keto.

TRT has been on my mind for some time now. The only reason I haven't taken the plunge is because it can affect thyroid hormone levels (lower them) + cause an increase in hematocrit & RBCs which can cause a clot. I especially need to to monitor because I had a clot that formed in my leg earlier this year and we still don't know why (all tests came back normal) and the clot disappeared. But I still think it will help. My goal is once I'm lean enough to start a clean bulk with the goal of adding 30 lbs of lean mass. I think the only way I can do that is with "help". I just don't want the bloating and water retention to be an issue. I do have a doc I will be working with on this.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post

^This plus more cardio
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.33%

I'm not in a favor of using supplements because these supplements can cause side effects to the body if you use them in excess.So avoid using them.
    Db
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.B View Post
    I'm not in a favor of using supplements because these supplements can cause side effects to the body if you use them in excess.So avoid using them.
    Which is why I don't use any one of them in excess and do blood work every 3-6 months to monitor what's working and what's not. I would be more concerned with regard to unnecessary and toxic drugs that corrupt mainstream docs who are nothing but salesmen for Big Pharma doll out to ignorant patients like candy, as they do kill people every day. Supps, when used for specific purposes, not used used in excess, and carefully monitored as in my case, do not. I will also mention that because of genetic mutations, I have to take certain supps that food alone will never supply. In this case, they are lifesavers. Even for those who don't, certain micronutrients are necessary nowadays because there is NO WAY any of us can get enough from our foods unless we lived on non-polluted land, breathed clean air and drank clean water, etc. Unless they eat organic, or raise their own livestock, grow their own crops, have little or no stress, most people today have micronutrient deficiencies and will never know it listening to advice from those who have hidden agendas or are ignorant of the truth.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%

I would bet it's due to your diet.....You should post up 2 day's of what your actually eating.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    I would bet it's due to your diet.....You should post up 2 day's of what your actually eating.
    That would be the easiest answer. My macros are posted above. That is my daily average.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%

Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309 View Post
    That would be the easiest answer. My macros are posted above. That is my daily average.

That means nothing....
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.75%

I am late to this. Your supplement list is interesting. Who helped you develop it? I spent about 30 seconds and found several contradictions. You take supplements that are stimulants, then you take things like Hawthorne that slows you down. You need to rethink this and pull your head together.

Similar Forum Threads

1. You Want Abs? - fat loss stacks
    By Super Tri's in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
  2. Fat Loss- Something To Think About
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 01:45 PM
  3. non ephedra based fat loss products?
    By hamper19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 06:24 PM
  4. HIIT: The optimal protocol for fat loss?
    By Lifeguard in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
  5. Arimidex doses for fat loss?
    By smokinghawk in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 06:22 AM