losing weight bigger waist WTF

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

losing weight bigger waist WTF

So let's keep it simple. My diet the last month has been pretty good. Proper carb to protein to fat ratios and such. I haven't done cardio at all. Just my basic 4 day a week routine. I hit every muscle twice and I been hitting abs extremely hard 3 days a week. I've gone from 225 lbs to 216 lbs and my waistline has GROWN AN INCH. WTF bros!!! Ive tried reading if possibly my abs are getting bigger and causing this but an inch in a month seems unlikely and everything I come across says that ultimatley ab training leads to a flatter stomach. I know we can't spot treat but I train abs in a manner that would promote thickness by doing both bodyweight only for high reps and weighted for lower. Just curious if this seems common to anyone. The past two weeks my diet has actually been super stellar. It's worth noting my legs arms and other body parts haven't lost any size so it can't be muscle I'm losing, or at least I wouldn't think so. Any thoughts?
    Hustle harder

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.48%

Could it be inflammation?

Even if you eat 'clean' you could actually be insensitive to some of the foods that you're eating and therefore inflaming your gut. That could also add fat around your navel (because of the increased cortisol).

Do you have any kind of digestive problems? Gas, burping, feeling bloated, diarrhea, acid reflux etc?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiFit
    Could it be inflammation?

Even if you eat 'clean' you could actually be insensitive to some of the foods that you're eating and therefore inflaming your gut. That could also add fat around your navel (because of the increased cortisol).

Do you have any kind of digestive problems? Gas, burping, feeling bloated, diarrhea, acid reflux etc?
    Actually no. I'm pretty much tolerant to anything. Doritos are about the only thing that get my gut goin and I haven't had those in forever lol. I been pretty normal. When I flex my abs its rock hard under the flab and my waist is now almost 2 inches bigger than when I was 225. I will say it looks less jiggly but I have a hard time believing my ab routine has added that much mass. My typical diet is brown or white rice with chicken and some cheese, then some tilapia or chicken breast and my veggies. Usually one bad meal a week. This just makes no sense to me. I'm 215 now and it's getting frustrating.
    Hustle harder
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.83%

Do you train abs with resistence? (Weights). I remember that dorian yates has pointed that training abs with more than bodyweight cause the obliques to grow much faster, and that can cause a larger waist and a less aestetic look

to achieve what other wont, you have to do what others dont
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.26%

Sometimes your waist can get larger do to stronger lower back training like deads and rack pulls. If you look leaner but your waist is bigger than its muscle. If your not getting leaner then obviously you have to look at other variables.
    Peace
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by hgjespersen
    Do you train abs with resistence? (Weights). I remember that dorian yates has pointed that training abs with more than bodyweight cause the obliques to grow much faster, and that can cause a larger waist and a less aestetic look

Yes I do actually. And I have a tendency to store 90% of my fat in my love handles and low back. That would make sense to me. I even do weight side crunches on a roman chair lol. That makes more sense. I usually do weighted crunch machine/ weighted side bends/ and then use an ab roller and do stability ball crunches with only body weight. I guess as long as I know it's abs growing I would be cool with that because I think once I'm at 200 they should show well.
    Hustle harder
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit
    Sometimes your waist can get larger do to stronger lower back training like deads and rack pulls. If you look leaner but your waist is bigger than its muscle. If your not getting leaner then obviously you have to look at other variables.
    Peace
    Also I have stepped up low back exercises. We have a nasty machine for targeting only low mid back and it's helped my deadlift strength so perhaps that's thickening as well. Thanks for the thoughts guys!
    Hustle harder
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.48%

Presuming that it's a food insensitivity issue (you still could be sensitive without noticing), I'd try to change the protein types for a few weeks. For example chicken -> turkey, tilapia -> pollock, cow's milk cheese -> lamb's/goat's milk cheese. If it doesn't work, try something else. Even if it's not a gut problem, it's good idea to rotate your protein sources because body can become sensitive to any type of protein if consumed daily. I managed to become sensitive to eggs when I ate them daily for a year or two.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiFit
    Presuming that it's a food insensitivity issue (you still could be sensitive without noticing), I'd try to change the protein types for a few weeks. For example chicken -> turkey, tilapia -> pollock, cow's milk cheese -> lamb's/goat's milk cheese. If it doesn't work, try something else. Even if it's not a gut problem, it's good idea to rotate your protein sources because body can become sensitive to any type of protein if consumed daily. I managed to become sensitive to eggs when I ate them daily for a year or two.
    Will keep this in mind for sure.
    Hustle harder
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.48%

Quote Originally Posted by rabz View Post
    Also I have stepped up low back exercises. We have a nasty machine for targeting only low mid back and it's helped my deadlift strength so perhaps that's thickening as well. Thanks for the thoughts guys!
    It could very well be that .
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.83%

I has the same genetics as you when it comes to fat storing in love handles. I also have trained weighted ab excersis for a long period of time, but now im quitting it because of my broad midsection

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 03:25 AM
  4. Green Tea & Losing Weight
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 08:22 PM
  5. If You Want To Lose Weight....read This!
    By Blindfaith in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 05:40 PM