I cant lose fat!

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
Really don't know what else to do...? I've been counting calories for months now. I've tried no carb, low carb, carb cycling, leangains, EC stacks, LISS, HITT.....what's it gonna take?

Simple math tells me calories in=calories out

But if I start to drop cals lower and lower.. My weight doesn't change at all! The only thing that happens is my muscles start to feel frail, weak and skinny.... Ive been messing with this consistently for a year and in 1-year not an oz. of fat has seem to come off?

I see so many transformations and it boggles me how in the world people can make such changes in 1-year?

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Have you had a blood panel done to see if there are any underlying issues that could possibly be the reason why you aren't losing any fat?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
How much cardio/lifting do you do each day??

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
Have you had a blood panel done to see if there are any underlying issues that could possibly be the reason why you aren't losing any fat?
I have had regular blood and hormone levels checked....I came up anemic and was put on iron 3 months ago.

I have same issues when I bulk, the only thing that bulks is midsection.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really don't know what else to do...? I've been counting calories for months now.
ok, let me ask this. you say "i've been counting calories" - does that include weighing or measuring with measuring cups + spoons everything that goes into your mouth? Lay out here what you ate yesterday...

Without measuring, people can estimate as far as 40-50% off on calories for the day.

The other part is 5'10" 170 lbs. I'm not sure how fat you can be at 170 and 5'10". Maybe a better idea is to concentrate for a bit on adding some lean mass (not bulking) and then return to fat loss in a few months.

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I measure everything , my kitchen looks like a science lab. I use my fitnesspal to log everything that goes in my mouth, my training sessions are pretty intense!! I'm not fat I'm about 16%bf. my arms get pretty lean , I'm very vascular... It seems all of the 16% is around my mid and back because my legs are pretty lean also..... I'm having trouble finding the right balance

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok, you said "I've tried no carb, low carb, carb cycling, leangains" and "Ive been messing with this consistently for a year and in 1-year not an oz. of fat has seem to come off? " how long do you follow an individual program? it seems like you've had a lot of variation there, and maybe in your workouts too? Its not entirely out of line to keep losses at a pound a week or less if you are having a hard time losing. And then particularly if you are doing a cyclic keto type diet, you see a huge bounce with the carb ups, so real loss is a little less apparent.

do a screenshot or report off my fitness pal and post up yesterday

chikthatlifts

chikthatlifts

Awards
Maybe your initial macro calculation for weight loss is off??

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
image-2432863229.jpg

This was August 2...

This was the first weekend I actually went away all summer. So even tho I ate extremely well, I didn't log....aug 2 was a day off from training my cals total was 1989.

With Harris Benedict my maintenance was 2550.... I've been taking a leangains approach.. I train hard 3 days a week with weights and eat 2600-2800 just on those days.

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
Sounds to me like you've probably cut calories drastically in the past out of desperation. If you keep fluctuating between periods of under feeding your body to periods of over feeding or hitting maintance....chances are you've done more bad then good to your metabolisim.

I see allot of people who use 'myfitnesspal' go by the calories the app tells them to eat. Use it to track what you eat, but don't let it dictate how much calories you should be eating. The HBE is still only just a educated estimate at what your caloric intake will be. You need to adjust accordingly till you find out what works for your body.

You can actually have your Basal Metabolic Rate tested to take ALL the guess work out. If you under-eat, your body holds onto fat and eats muscle. This slows your metabolic rate and muscle takes longer to build then fat does to burn. If you over-eat, well we already know that just takes you further away from your fat loss goals.

Get your BMR tested, and don't always use apps like my fitness pal to come up with caloric targets or how much calories are in an item. Nothing is more balls on then turning that F**ker over and reading the nutritional facts.

All this is assuming your eating clean foods and getting plenty of sleep and drinking plenty of water. If your doing all the above and still can't seem to loose some fat, adding in some cardio throughout the week would be the next step.

jkmerola

Awards
I also have this exact same problem. I'm 6'4 200 pounds pretty lean and developed other then my lower back and lower stomach. Although I think it might be because I used to be 305 pounds and I'm worried that I've lost so much weight my metabolism has slowed to zilch. I train hard 7 days a week, 4 days intense weight training, 3 days long steady cardio. Although on my weight training days I also do cardio with a 20 minute warm up HIIT and 20 minute warm down just steady pace. My calorie intake is roughly 2000 calories of whole clean foods and mostly protein with mod carbs and low fats. I understand that is way to Low for some one of my stature I just think after all the weight loss my metabolism is very slow. Does any one have a suggestion for raising my calories to a normal level with out my body storing it all as fat?

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
Sounds to me like you've probably cut calories drastically in the past out of desperation. If you keep fluctuating between periods of under feeding your body to periods of over feeding or hitting maintance....chances are you've done more bad then good to your metabolisim.

I see allot of people who use 'myfitnesspal' go by the calories the app tells them to eat. Use it to track what you eat, but don't let it dictate how much calories you should be eating. The HBE is still only just a educated estimate at what your caloric intake will be. You need to adjust accordingly till you find out what works for your body.

You can actually have your Basal Metabolic Rate tested to take ALL the guess work out. If you under-eat, your body holds onto fat and eats muscle. This slows your metabolic rate and muscle takes longer to build then fat does to burn. If you over-eat, well we already know that just takes you further away from your fat loss goals.

Get your BMR tested, and don't always use apps like my fitness pal to come up with caloric targets or how much calories are in an item. Nothing is more balls on then turning that F**ker over and reading the nutritional facts.

All this is assuming your eating clean foods and getting plenty of sleep and drinking plenty of water. If your doing all the above and still can't seem to loose some fat, adding in some cardio throughout the week would be the next step.
I use fitnesspal just for an easy way to track my intakes , I don't go by their equations. Where do you recommend I get my BMR properly tested?

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
I use fitnesspal just for an easy way to track my intakes , I don't go by their equations. Where do you recommend I get my BMR properly tested?

Whats your address? I'll go pick you up and take you to get it tested. I'll even wait in the waiting room for support Y TODO.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
realistically? its unnecessary. You aren't losing scale weight where you are now, so knock 200 calories a day off. 3 weeks from now still at the same weight? knock another 150 off a day.

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
Try a 30-36 hour fast, twice a week. Its hardcore but if you have the determination.... you cant possibly lose. I challenge you

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
You said you train 3 times a week but did not mention cardio. I know what works for me when I want to lose fat around my mid section - diet and LOT's of cardio.......

SimplyMichael

Awards
You said you train 3 times a week but did not mention cardio. I know what works for me when I want to lose fat around my mid section - diet and LOT's of cardio.......
curious what type of cardio do u do . interesting to find out what works

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really don't know what else to do...? I've been counting calories for months now. I've tried no carb, low carb, carb cycling, leangains, EC stacks, LISS, HITT.....what's it gonna take?
consistency. Stop bouncing around with your diets. Pick one and follow it.

Simple math tells me calories in=calories out
to bad life isnt this simple.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
curious what type of cardio do u do . interesting to find out what works

At least 60 mins of cardio each day, sometimes X2!! AM cardio is always done on a fasted stomach. Treadmill, bike, cross ramp, stair master etc.... and If I'm really trying to ramp it up I will take a boot camp or kickboxing class which burn's about a 1,000 calories per class.

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
At least 60 mins of cardio each day, sometimes X2!! AM cardio is always done on a fasted stomach. Treadmill, bike, cross ramp, stair master etc.... and If I'm really trying to ramp it up I will take a boot camp or kickboxing class which burn's about a 1,000 calories per class.

F*CK THAT SH*T. I made a vow to myself that I would NEVER do two cardio sessions in a days period. ....NEVER.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF HELL I'VE PUT MYSELF THROUGH!!!!!

YOU MANIACS!!!!! DAMN YOU'ZE!!!!!! DAMN YOU'ZE ALL TA HELL!!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you dont have to

realistically it doesnt make much of a difference especially when compared to the difference dietary changes make WRT fat loss

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
F*CK THAT SH*T. I made a vow to myself that I would NEVER do two cardio sessions in a days period. ....NEVER.

lol, all that cardio talk makes my head spin too! I prefer to do my cardio between the sheets!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Sounds like some of you guy's are just skeered!! ;)

My point is.....if the op hasn't been able to make changes in a year and wants to lose body fat, then why not pick a diet to follow and add in cardio several times a week??? Burn that _ _ _ _ off!!!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
60 minutes of cardio daily sometimes two times a day is way too much. You'll end up burning up muscle that way. It will be more detrimental in the long run too because he will burn so much muscle that it will lower his BMR, so he will be worse off.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also at 5'10 and 170 you can't be that fat at all, unless you have very little lean body mass. You need to eat slightly over maintenance to gain some quality muscle, but do it slowly and stick with one diet.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
60 minutes of cardio daily sometimes two times a day is way too much. You'll end up burning up muscle that way. It will be more detrimental in the long run too because he will burn so much muscle that it will lower his BMR, so he will be worse off.

You are correct.....wasn't suggesting that HE do cardio 2x's a day, I said that's what I do when I want to lose fat!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
then why not pick a diet to follow and add in cardio several times a week??? Burn that _ _ _ _ off!!!
Because adding cardio wont make that much of a difference on the rate of fat loss over just dieting alone.

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards

hahahaaa

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I've suffered the same when I jumped on different diet protocols within a short period of time. Your best bet as many have said is pick one diet and training protocol and stick to it for 3 months with weekly tracking and manipulation. Also take weekly measurements. Sometime the mirror and the scale don't show a loss but you may have added a little size to your arms or reduced the circumference of your waist slightly. Patience is critical to success.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've suffered the same when I jumped on different diet protocols within a short period of time. Your best bet as many have said is pick one diet and training protocol and stick to it for 3 months with weekly tracking and manipulation. Also take weekly measurements. Sometime the mirror and the scale don't show a loss but you may have added a little size to your arms or reduced the circumference of your waist slightly. Patience is critical to success.
that really is true, but I still would think that getting down to biceps veins being visible and top abs showing at least when flexed doesn't really require supreme hard consistency. Hitting a 6 pack does, but getting below 15 shouldnt' be that bad in the absence of any hormonal issues.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that really is true, but I still would think that getting down to biceps veins being visible and top abs showing at least when flexed doesn't really require supreme hard consistency. Hitting a 6 pack does, but getting below 15 shouldnt' be that bad in the absence of any hormonal issues.
That all depends on your age, body type, and a plethora of other factors.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That all depends on your age, body type, and a plethora of other factors.
yeah, but I've met very few (if any) people who had to get that iron fist grade consistent to reach that point, unless they had thyroid or testosterone issues. I'm not saying its simple, but there is some room for error to get just that far. And cardio isn't necessary to get to that spot either, but I do believe it is to get much further.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely. Most people could hit 13ish% bf without any strict dieting. The OP was concerned he wasn't losing any weight and my suggestion was more to help him determine whether that really is the case. I know there were several weeks when I dropped from around 20% to 11% where it felt and looked like I lost nothing but the measurements told me otherwise which kept the motivation up.

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
36 hour fast, 12 hour eating window, 36 hour fast, 12,36,12,36. I defy you to eat enough in lunch and dinner!( ypure stomach is pea size for brekkie, so forget that one)

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
You know what I love? Barbacoa :knockedout:

It's my F*cking kryptonite.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:wave2:

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
36 hour fast, 12 hour eating window, 36 hour fast, 12,36,12,36. I defy you to eat enough in lunch and dinner!( ypure stomach is pea size for brekkie, so forget that one)
good advice

But lemme get it straight. u r 5'7 @ 170lbs and you say you are FAT. OK you might be fat but it won't be too much... can we get some pictures 1st of all?

explain a bit about ur diet and your training you are doing since you have started to lose fat.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Pick one diet. Stick with it. Weights three times a week focusing on major compound lifts. Cardio three times per week. Intermittent fasting. Consistency. You will get there.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Originally Posted by Miss Q
You are correct.....wasn't suggesting that HE do cardio 2x's a day, I said that's what I do when I want to lose muscle and over-train!!

Ok then if that's what you want to do.

Just noticed what you did there!!! I Like how you changed my quote, would appreciate you not doing that again A.H. Please refrain from f-ing doing that again :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct.....wasn't suggesting that HE do cardio 2x's a day, I said that's what I do when I want to lose muscle and over-train!!

Just noticed what you did there!!! I Like how you changed my quote, would appreciate you not doing that again A.H. Please refrain from f-ing doing that again :)
yeah, save the misquoting for comic relief value :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Power behind that huh...

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
damnnnn.jpg

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Look at that ASS!

Titration

Awards
I would try a re-feed, or a couple of days at maintence calories. When weight loss stops its usually your body compensating for the caloric restriction, in which case you can add in a few more for a few days(maintence) or cut the defecit slightly more. You may just be weighing things wrong. I had the same problem for the longest time, but eventually you'll see them abs if you're consistent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bulking 19
Weight Loss 64
machine528 Weight Loss 3
comacho Female Fitness 21
Weight Loss 26