intermittent fasting

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

intermittent fasting

Want to hear from people who are actually doing it and how its working out for them. I know the science behind it from lean gains but want to know how good it is.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I don't use that approach now, but I was at my leanest ever when I did do it. My lifting sessions were in the evening, so I would work out fasted and eat a ton after my workout up to bedtime. The pro's were that it worked great for me and that I could basically eat whatever I wanted to during my window and it didn't seem to matter. I also don't have a big appetite normally, so going all day without food was no big deal. Green tea (warm, freshly steeped) helped a lot with this. Not sure if it was something in the tea or the fact that it was a warm drink, but that did and does pretty much kill my appetite.

The biggest con was that eating became a job. From about 8PM until 11PM, 7 days a week, my job was to eat. I was very strict with it, so dinner out with the family was very weird, I'd just sit there while everyone else ate.

The other downside was having all those calories jammed into my stomach at once. I think I know how an anaconda feels after swallowing a large animal whole.
  3. Registered User

IMO, it's extremely effective as long as you keep in mind what (and how much) you eat during your feeding window counts. I've never been super strict with it, if I'm out with my girlfriend and we have a late dinner that's cool or if I need to break the fast early for some reason that works as well. I don't think cutting it off at 15 hours 30 minutes instead of 16 matters a whole hill of beans.

The "scariest" part is of course the hunger. Honestly it isn't that bad. You do have to get used to it the first week if you're used to eating upon rising. I've always went 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. as my window, and this has never been too bad for me. Lunch just becomes my first meal. I still have bacon and eggs for lunch just like I would often with breakfast. I don't feel the need to rush and stuff my face per meal. You've got 8 hours to eat and get your calories in. It seems like a little but it's not. I get around 700 calories per meal and then snack, have protein shakes, whatever.

Obviously it on it's own doesn't do it. You can't fast for 16 hours and then eat crap for 8 and expect to have good results. But I do think something is a bit magical about the fasting part. I certainly think Leangains plus proper diet trumps proper diet no Leangains. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. It's certainly worth a shot, it isn't like you have to do it if you hate it. But most people that start Leangains stay on it and I think that's saying something. A lot of people on here are Leangains lifers.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce
    IMO, it's extremely effective as long as you keep in mind what (and how much) you eat during your feeding window counts. I've never been super strict with it, if I'm out with my girlfriend and we have a late dinner that's cool or if I need to break the fast early for some reason that works as well. I don't think cutting it off at 15 hours 30 minutes instead of 16 matters a whole hill of beans.

The "scariest" part is of course the hunger. Honestly it isn't that bad. You do have to get used to it the first week if you're used to eating upon rising. I've always went 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. as my window, and this has never been too bad for me. Lunch just becomes my first meal. I still have bacon and eggs for lunch just like I would often with breakfast. I don't feel the need to rush and stuff my face per meal. You've got 8 hours to eat and get your calories in. It seems like a little but it's not. I get around 700 calories per meal and then snack, have protein shakes, whatever.

Obviously it on it's own doesn't do it. You can't fast for 16 hours and then eat crap for 8 and expect to have good results. But I do think something is a bit magical about the fasting part. I certainly think Leangains plus proper diet trumps proper diet no Leangains. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. It's certainly worth a shot, it isn't like you have to do it if you hate it. But most people that start Leangains stay on it and I think that's saying something. A lot of people on here are Leangains lifers.
    how has your body transformed?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but when I did IF I dropped down to 7% bf - and yes it was a real 7%, not the normal internet message board 7%. I had veins everywhere, even in my abs.

I actually jumped back onto IF yesterday (with some tweaks for my early AM lifting sessions) as I'm at 15% bf right now. In my opinion and based on personal experience, the diet is very flexible - you can cut fat, bulk or maintain...I think too often IF is associated with a cutting program or diet but it's really not.

One of the best and most noticeable aspects of the diet is the energy you get during the fast. The energy, focus and mental clarity that I get during the fasting period is really fantastic and I've not been able to replicate it with anything else.

I find that it's best to have a little planning when you break the fast. If I eat food that causes a big insulin spike (say a whey protein shake by itself), I feel tired and lethargic for the next hour or two. I try to break the fast with food that has protein/fat and some low GI carbs or veggies.

When I jumped back on IF, I was a little hungry in the morning since I'm used to a meal at that time. I cup of green tea knocked back the hunger until it was time to eat lunch.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by audix2359
    I know your question wasn't directed at me, but when I did IF I dropped down to 7% bf - and yes it was a real 7%, not the normal internet message board 7%. I had veins everywhere, even in my abs.

I actually jumped back onto IF yesterday (with some tweaks for my early AM lifting sessions) as I'm at 15% bf right now. In my opinion and based on personal experience, the diet is very flexible - you can cut fat, bulk or maintain...I think too often IF is associated with a cutting program or diet but it's really not.

One of the best and most noticeable aspects of the diet is the energy you get during the fast. The energy, focus and mental clarity that I get during the fasting period is really fantastic and I've not been able to replicate it with anything else.

I find that it's best to have a little planning when you break the fast. If I eat food that causes a big insulin spike (say a whey protein shake by itself), I feel tired and lethargic for the next hour or two. I try to break the fast with food that has protein/fat and some low GI carbs or veggies.

When I jumped back on IF, I was a little hungry in the morning since I'm used to a meal at that time. I cup of green tea knocked back the hunger until it was time to eat lunch.
    Any pictures of you at 7%? You must of been pure solid muscle
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

How do you add cardio into it? Or is it not needed
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I could dig around for pics, I think I have some at the beach with the kids but I've never really taken photos of myself to compare. I should, but I don't. And yes, I was very, very lean.

Back then, I wasn't lifting that heavy or that often really - I did a lot of HIIT and steady state cardio and mixed in light weighlifting, so I was lean and pretty muscular but not real big. I'm still not huge, but I've gained a lot since then - I'm around 180 ATM. When I was on IF before, I was also a vegetarian. At some point, I decided to start lifting heavy and consistently and then decided to get into powerlifting. Once I started powerlifting, I stopped being a vegetarian - the two were not compatible for me.

Now I lift 4x a week and do some steady state cardio for 20-30 minutes in the morning on non-lifting days - that's what I was doing before I re-started IF and I'll continue with that.
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by audix2359
    I could dig around for pics, I think I have some at the beach with the kids but I've never really taken photos of myself to compare. I should, but I don't. And yes, I was very, very lean.

Back then, I wasn't lifting that heavy or that often really - I did a lot of HIIT and steady state cardio and mixed in light weighlifting, so I was lean and pretty muscular but not real big. I'm still not huge, but I've gained a lot since then - I'm around 180 ATM. When I was on IF before, I was also a vegetarian. At some point, I decided to start lifting heavy and consistently and then decided to get into powerlifting. Once I started powerlifting, I stopped being a vegetarian - the two were not compatible for me.

Now I lift 4x a week and do some steady state cardio for 20-30 minutes in the morning on non-lifting days - that's what I was doing before I re-started IF and I'll continue with that.
    How lone did it take for u to start seeing results? Would u say its harder for women to lose fat this way due to hormones etc?

I started IF about two weeks ago
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by a312 View Post
    How lone did it take for u to start seeing results? Would u say its harder for women to lose fat this way due to hormones etc?

I started IF about two weeks ago
    I would think that within a month you should see some results if your calories are where they need to be. If you're looking to lose weight, you still must be in a caloric deficit - IF won't get you lean if you continue to eat over maintenance.

I think in general it's probably more difficult for women to lose weight.
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by audix2359 View Post
    I think in general it's probably more difficult for women to lose weight.
    but its usually because they are afraid of eating fats, and think whole grains are better

actually though, you can lean out some with calories over maintenance on IF. there is a narrow band of calories. the more interesting part that I still haven't quite figured out is how a number of the studies show that you can go significantly over maintenance on IF and not gain fat.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Registered User

I guess i gta be patient lol not sure if im doing it right. I eat wholegrain rice, shouldnt i be?
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I guess i gta be patient lol not sure if im doing it right. I eat wholegrain rice, shouldnt i be?
    there's very few absolutes, getting in close to 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight from real foods is important, getting in enough saturated fats for proper hormone amounts is important. A lot of what normal dieticians push however like the american heart association's heart friendly diet are disasters not backed at all by science. Some amount of carbohydrates is ok, it being your major source of calories isn't
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

i tried leangains and just couldnt curb the hunger even with coffee and aminos, now i do a variant of leangains where i have a post shake and continue to fast till my first meal....works like a champ and with NO cardio im leaning up nicely (and a few supps)
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    i tried leangains and just couldnt curb the hunger even with coffee and aminos, now i do a variant of leangains where i have a post shake and continue to fast till my first meal....works like a champ and with NO cardio im leaning up nicely (and a few supps)
    How long do u fast for? What are ur other meals like?
  16. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

there's very few absolutes, getting in close to 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight from real foods is important, getting in enough saturated fats for proper hormone amounts is important. A lot of what normal dieticians push however like the american heart association's heart friendly diet are disasters not backed at all by science. Some amount of carbohydrates is ok, it being your major source of calories isn't
    So during my feeding window i shud keep carbs minimal?
  17. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

So during my feeding window i shud keep carbs minimal?
    no, but they shouldn't make up half your calories either. Different people all have different carbohydrate tolerances, so less than half the calories is about the only safe statement. minimal is good for some people, some people can take in 40% of calories that way without an issue
    This space for rent

18. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

my fasts are 16-17 hours and I eat whatever I feel like during my eat time. just make sure I get at least 175g of solid food protein
    This space for rent

19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

but its usually because they are afraid of eating fats, and think whole grains are better

actually though, you can lean out some with calories over maintenance on IF. there is a narrow band of calories. the more interesting part that I still haven't quite figured out is how a number of the studies show that you can go significantly over maintenance on IF and not gain fat.
    Link to study?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I lost 26 pounds using leangains in about 10 weeks. Once you get past the first two weeks your body adjusts and you don't really get hunger pains. I wasn't really strict dieting either as I had a few life situations going on at the time but I was always about 500 cal deficit with F all carbs with a refeed once a week.
    I was doing the 16 hour fast with an 8 hour feeding window. Ill definitely use leangains for cutting in the future.
    Mind and Muscle board representative.
  21. Registered User

Would u count a low carb protein shake instead of bcaa as breaking ur fast? Or is it when u eat solid food?
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    This is what I was thinking of doing...after listening to Carl LaNore's show superhuman radio episode #553
    they hypothesized that the longer you go without a carb-full postworkout meal the greater the insulin spike will be with your first real breakfast meal, also the longer you wait to have that full meal the longer the fat burning process will go.

So maybe a post workout shake w/25g or less of whey then a couple hours later have your first carb-filled meal.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

I've been doing it for a long time.

Not following the exact Lean gains protocol, but I do fast for 16 hours every day.

To tell you the truth, I can't say I have noticed a huge difference. For me it's just more convenience.
    But it does help with controlling hunger while I cut.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Guys there is an extensive thread in this section on Lean Gains and other IF strategies with thousands of posts of how people respond to it, tweak it and work with in it. However here are a couple pics of me that are 6 weeks apart using IF to drop fat and build muscle. Yes anabolics were involved to help add the muscle but it should give you an idea and I was not crazy strict and did not do much cardio at all.

Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  25. Banned

i find im always hungry and hour or two after brekkie.. if i miss it until lunch i can do that no probs, so for me fasting was fairly easy. Remember you can do a daily 18 hour fast or a 24 hour fast 2-3 times a week. Just tell your body to "**** off" when its hungry, it soon goes away, bit like holding in a poo.
    Once you do it daily your body doesnt expect food until 1pm, its boredom i find that makes me eat if anything.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Lean Gains is pretty specific about the times you eat or at least the 16/8 ratio. However with this thread being about IF not just LG I will say that after a very long time of fasting you can easily change the time you break your fast with minimal hunger. Martin recommends starting your feeding window close to the same time to set the rhythms so you don't get too hungry before your time. However the longer you do this the easier and easier it is to fast longer without hunger ever becoming a major issue. Kind of like the guy above said it is a bit like holding in poo. After a little bit the urge goes away.

I tend to keep things pretty consistent on Build Days. I have aminos pre and post training then once or twice more before breaking my fast around 1:00PM. I eat until between 8:00-9:00PM
    On burn days I break my fast mid to late afternoon, IE 3:30-4:30PM and eat until 8:00-9:00PM, if I haven't eaten by 4:30PM I will typically just wait to eat dinner with my family or just have a protein shake and then a large dinner. I prefer to shorten the window and have 1 or 2 larger meals on my burn days. I find it more satiating that way.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  27. Registered User

I am on a cutting phase right now under the guidance of a internet trainer who is doing my macros etc.

Honestly, its the easiest thing ever, even on a cut. Arms and legs are the same size, weight is down, lifts are up. I wish I had learned how to do this years ago and quit worrying about eating every 3 hrs etc etc. By far the best I have ever looked. I train in the AM, so the bulk of my fasted time is evening and asleep...program is just extremely easy for me to comply with because of my work schedule.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

Does a protein shake break your fast? What if i can't eat all my post work out meal? Im really struggling to down it!
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Would anyone say this is worth trying for the first time while on an AAS cycle? Or try it when all other things are normal, to get a better feel for how the body responds?
  30. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyMove View Post
    Would anyone say this is worth trying for the first time while on an AAS cycle? Or try it when all other things are normal, to get a better feel for how the body responds?
    Is it a bulking or cutting cycle? If bulking I'd say to wait.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intermittent fasting
    By a312 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:09 AM
  2. intermittent fasting help please
    By cleveland3 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  3. intermittent fasting
    By dark child in forum Weight Loss