using L carnitin as a supplement in the long run

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.33%

using L carnitin as a supplement in the long run

I was just curious has anybody used LC regurarly?
    I have read it enhances mental performance and has other benefits besides being a fat burner.

2. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I've used some form of carnitine for years. Used to take several grams of ALCAR a day, now I take 2g of LCLT before every workout. ALCAR had more pronounced effects on mental acuity. I wouldn't consider carnitine a fat burner - more something to help your metabolism function optimally.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.52%

Quote Originally Posted by flauntboy View Post
    I was just curious has anybody used LC regurarly?
    I have read it enhances mental performance and has other benefits besides being a fat burner.
    last summer i took the oportunity to buy 2 months stack of liquid l-carnitine and to be honest after 2 months of constant use even in high dosage I didn't feel a damn thing :O maybe it really works for some people but for me I'd rather invest in something that works
    "Train like God is watching. Never quit!"
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%

Quote Originally Posted by shockingfit View Post
    last summer i took the oportunity to buy 2 months stack of liquid l-carnitine and to be honest after 2 months of constant use even in high dosage I didn't feel a damn thing :O maybe it really works for some people but for me I'd rather invest in something that works
    That's because straight L-Carnitine has very low bioavailability. Adding acetyl or tartrate groups helps bypass that.

***NOW @ NP***
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  60 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.48%

i am taking ninja !!!!and its work well well for me so far !!!
    You come in peace, but you go back in pieces
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    That's because straight L-Carnitine has very low bioavailability. Adding acetyl or tartrate groups helps bypass that.
    Thanks for info, will try again this year
    "Train like God is watching. Never quit!"
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.33%

Quote Originally Posted by shockingfit

Tobe honest i habe the same feeling
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve

Thanks for the tip, i did not know this.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

Could you clarify this?

Are you combining L-Carnitine pure with acetyl or tartrate? or would it be better combining acetyl and tartrate?

is is too much to combine 3gr of acetyl with 3gr tartrate? how would you stack both together?

I'm planning on stacking the following. I already have a low calorie/low carb/low fat/high protein diet. I'm an athlete playing tennis/biking/lifting

Carnitine (have not decided how)
    Na-r-ala -200 or 300gr.
    coq10 -
    omega 3 - 5gr
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ogie View Post
    Could you clarify this?

Are you combining L-Carnitine pure with acetyl or tartrate? or would it be better combining acetyl and tartrate?

is is too much to combine 3gr of acetyl with 3gr tartrate? how would you stack both together?

I'm planning on stacking the following. I already have a low calorie/low carb/low fat/high protein diet. I'm an athlete playing tennis/biking/lifting

Carnitine (have not decided how)
    Na-r-ala -200 or 300gr.
    coq10 -
    omega 3 - 5gr
    You can actually take the acetyl-L-carnitine and L-carnitine-L-tartrate together. I would take 2g of each ... 3g each would be unnecessary/waste. 3g is fine if you're only taking 1 form of carnitine.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    You can actually take the acetyl-L-carnitine and L-carnitine-L-tartrate together. I would take 2g of each ... 3g each would be unnecessary/waste. 3g is fine if you're only taking 1 form of carnitine.

Thanks. Vitacost doesnt have l-tartrate. So i will just do l-carnitine 2gr with ALCAR 2gr. Btw, my goal is fat loss.

thanks
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

Thanks. Vitacost doesnt have l-tartrate. So i will just do l-carnitine 2gr with ALCAR 2gr. Btw, my goal is fat loss.

thanks
    Why not get something like AI Sports LCLT? It's pretty inexpensive.
  13. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%

Personally, I'd take them at different times too. ALCAR in the morning maybe, and LCLT pre- or post-workout.

thanks
    L-Carnitine is a waste of money.

Why not get something like AI Sports LCLT? It's pretty inexpensive.
    Bingo.

***NOW @ NP***
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

Personally, I'd take them at different times too. ALCAR in the morning maybe, and LCLT pre- or post-workout.
    Agreed. That's what I do.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

sounds good. thanks.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

L-Carnitine is a waste of money.

Bingo.
    one more question.

vitacost has acetyl-l-carnitine-hcl(700mg) and acetyl-l-carnitine-arginate Dihydrochloride(500mg) together. Am i better off getting this or just acetyl-l-carnitine-hcl?
  17. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%

one more question.

vitacost has acetyl-l-carnitine-hcl(700mg) and acetyl-l-carnitine-arginate Dihydrochloride(500mg) together. Am i better off getting this or just acetyl-l-carnitine-hcl?
    The ALCAR-hcl is a better 'bang-for-your-buck', imo.

***NOW @ NP***
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

Thanks
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

holly ****... you should have warned me on lcarnitine taste? I added to my protein shake this morning and i had to force it down....

how do you guys take the powder version?
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

holly ****... you should have warned me on lcarnitine taste? I added to my protein shake this morning and i had to force it down....

L-carnitine? I take it with my preworkout since the flavor usually mixes well with fruity flavoring. Alternatively, you could try it in just water. It tastes like un-sweet lemon water, if that makes any sense.
  21. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%

Seriously? It's a bit acidic, but it's not bad. Don't add it to a protein shake next time - just dissolve it in a small cup of water and down it. If it's still too rough for ya, toss it in with some flavored bcaas or something.

***NOW @ NP***
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10%

l carnitin is not worth the money.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.54%

Weight Loss

Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight loss supplement, there is no scientific evidence to show that it works. Some studies do show that oral carnitine reduces fat mass, increases muscle mass, and reduces fatigue, which may contribute to weight loss in some people.

Reviewed last on: 3/31/2011
    Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, Solutions Acupuncture, a private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

Supporting Research
    Benvenga S, Ruggieri RM, Russo A, Lapa D, Campenni A, Trimarchi F. Usefulness of L-carnitine, a naturally occurring peripheral antagonist of thyroid hormone action, in iatrogenic hyperthyroidism: a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86(8):3579-3594.

Berni A, Meschini R, Filippi S, Palitti F, De Amicis A, Chessa L. L-carnitine enhances resistance to oxidative stress by reducing DNA damage in Ataxia telangiectasia cells. Mutat Res. 2008;650(2):165-74.

Biagiotti G, Cavallini G. Acetyl-L-carnitine vs tamoxifen in the oral therapy of Peyronie's disease: a preliminary report. BJU Int. 2001;88(1):63-67.

Carrero JJ, Grimble RF. Does nutrition have a role in peripheral vascular disease? Br J Nutr. 2006 Feb;95(2):217-29. Review.

Cavallini G, Modenini F, Vitali G, et al. Acetyl-L-carnitine plus propionyl-L-carnitine improve efficacy of sildenafil in treatment of erectile dysfunction after bilateral nerve-sparing radical retropubic prostatectomy. Urology. 2005;66:1080-1085.

Cruciani RA, Dvorkin E, Homel P, Malamud S, Culliney B, Lapin J, Portenoy RK, Esteban-Cruciani N. Safety, tolerability and symptom outcomes associated with L-carnitine supplementation in patients with cancer, fatigue, and carnitine deficiency: a phase I/II study. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006 Dec;32(6):551-9.

Custer J, Rau R. Johns Hopkins:The Harriet Lane Handbook, 18th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Elsevier Mosby; 2008.

Dyck DJ. Dietary fat intake, supplements, and weight loss. Can J Appl Physiol. 2000;25(6):495-523.

Fugh-Berman A. Herbs and dietary supplements in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Prev Cardiology. 2000;3:24-32.

Head KA. Peripheral neuropathy: pathogenic mechanisms and alternative therapies. Altern Med Rev. 2006 Dec;11(4):294-329. Review.

Hiatt WR, Regensteiner JG, Creager MA, Hirsch AT, Cooke JP, Olin JW, et al. Propionyl-L-carnitine improves exercise performance and functional status in patients with claudication. Am J Med. 2001;110(8):616-622.

Lynch KE, Feldman HI, Berlin JA, Flory J, Rowan CG, Brunelli SM. Effects of L-carnitine on dialysis-related hypotension and muscle cramps: a meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008;52(5):962-71.

Malaguarnera M, Cammalleri L, Gargante MP, Vacante M, Colonna V, Motta M. L-carnitine treatment reduces severity of physical and mental fatigue and increases cognitive functions in centurians: a randomized and controlled clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86(6):1738-44.

Park M. Pediatric Cardiology for Practitioners, 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby Elsevier, 2008.

Pettegrew JW, Levine J, McClure RJ. Acetyl-L-carnitine physical-chemical, metabolic, and therapeutic properties: relevance for its mode of action in Alzheimer's disease and geriatric depression. Mol Psychiatry. 2000;5:616-632.

Rathod R, Baig MS, Khandelwal PN, Kulkarni SG, Gade PR, Siddiqui S. Results of a single blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial to study the effect of intravenous L-carnitine supplementation on health-related quality of life in Indian patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Indian J Med Sci. 2006 Apr;60(4):143-53.

Sinclair S. Male infertility: nutritional and environmental considerations. Alt Med Rev. 2000;5(1):28-38.

Villani RG, Gannon J, Self M, Rich PA. L-carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2000;10:199-207.

Volek J, et al. Effects of carnitine supplementation on flow-mediated dilation and vascular inflammatory responses to a high-fat meal in healthy young adults. Am J Cardiol. 2008;102(10).

Werbach MR. Nutritional strategies for treating chronic fatigue syndrome. Altern Med Rev. 2000;5(2):93-108.

Witte KK, Clark AL. Micronutrients and their supplementation in chronic cardiac failure. An update beyond theoretical perspectives. Heart Fail Rev. 2006 Mar;11(1):65-74. Review.

Witt KK, Clark AL, Cleland JG. Chronic heart failure and micronutrients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37(7):1765-1774.

Xue YZ, Wang LX, Liu HZ, Qi XW, Wang XH, Ren HZ. L-carnitine as an adjunct therapy to percutaneous coronary intervention for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2007;21(6):445-8.

www(DOT)umm(DOT)edu/altmed/articles/carnitine-l-000291(DOT)htm#ixzz1z22oYdYE
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

More muscle mass and fat loss? Who cares about weight loss if you're getting those 2 benefits from carnitine?
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.54%

More muscle mass and fat loss? Who cares about weight loss if you're getting those 2 benefits from carnitine?
    Agreed, I was merely speaking to those who were saying it's a waste of money.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.7%

According to Charles Poliquin, you have to take your L-Carnitine with a lot of carbs or a decent amount of fish oil to get it into the cells. He also says that you have to take it for a long period of time for it to really affect your performance, as the carnitine levels of your cells increase slowly. I used a bottle of it and didn't really notice anything, so I put my money to something that gives more bang for the buck .

Similar Forum Threads

1. Schwells pct for a LONG LONG LONG LONG cycle
    By schwellington in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 01:48 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 12:54 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-13-2007, 10:35 AM
  5. Is there a supplement that helps before a long run?
    By vinnys025 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 12:38 PM