Harsh diets really that bad?*little rant/topic*

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lets say you need to lose 30 lbs....is a harsh diet really going to hurt your results over a 3 year period?I'm getting annoyed with people so worried about their gains they don't cut.They stay at north of 20% bodyfat which hurts their gains.Sigh...I'm not saying go to 1000calories or anything but I got to 7 % natty by going to 1800.Tappered up and Kept at 7 to 8% for a long while.

Muscle memory is powerfull people.As long as you tapper your diet back up to normal you shouldn't hurt your progress.Maybe it's just me....

Tapper up your cals/carbs/fats after such dieting over a 4 week period(say 250 cals per week untill at baseline.) hold that for a couple weeks and your good to go.Muscle loss is going to happen even with some of the anabolic's out there.You will gain it back.To get that shredded to the bones look your going to have to diet.I'm sorry :D

I'm here to re assure you to not worry and keep on the straight and narrow.You want that body? Take it by force and yes...do cardio.
This is just one man's opinion.

Whats the worst excuse you have ever herd from another person to shy away from weight loss?Please share your storys here.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was born fat~
I'm big boned (I have used this many times)
My parents fault.
I came from a long line of fatties.

etc.... lol

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
my biggest fear was muscle loss, it was more mental than reality though...ive cut cals towards recomp levels and couldnt be more happier, but i was 119lb 10yrs ago and now im 185lbs with roughly 15%bf, adding mass was the only agenda...

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
my biggest fear was muscle loss, it was more mental than reality though...ive cut cals towards recomp levels and couldnt be more happier, but i was 119lb 10yrs ago and now im 185lbs with roughly 15%bf, adding mass was the only agenda...
Yeah when I started I was 130, which was prob skinnier than you were height ratio wise. I think a lot of it was mental at first since you spent all those years building up the muscle and you didn't want to risk losing what you built.

Also, a lot of guys have psychological difficulties getting "smaller" on a cut. But honestly I think being 10-15% is fine and very healthy. I generally stay around 11% and I am very happy with that.. the super cut look doesn't really appeal to me as much.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yeah when I started I was 130, which was prob skinnier than you were height ratio wise. I think a lot of it was mental at first since you spent all those years building up the muscle and you didn't want to risk losing what you built.

Also, a lot of guys have psychological difficulties getting "smaller" on a cut. But honestly I think being 10-15% is fine and very healthy. I generally stay around 11% and I am very happy with that.. the super cut look doesn't really appeal to me as much.
not a big fan either for me personally but i always appreciate the look on someone else, at my height i look better with a bigger build, nothing like xl shirts on a 5'6" frame....

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
Lets say you need to lose 30 lbs....is a harsh diet really going to hurt your results over a 3 year period?I'm getting annoyed with people so worried about their gains they don't cut.They stay at north of 20% bodyfat which hurts their gains.Sigh...I'm not saying go to 1000calories or anything but I got to 7 % natty by going to 1800.Tappered up and Kept at 7 to 8% for a long while.

Muscle memory is powerfull people.As long as you tapper your diet back up to normal you shouldn't hurt your progress.Maybe it's just me....

Tapper up your cals/carbs/fats after such dieting over a 4 week period(say 250 cals per week untill at baseline.) hold that for a couple weeks and your good to go.Muscle loss is going to happen even with some of the anabolic's out there.You will gain it back.To get that shredded to the bones look your going to have to diet.I'm sorry :D

I'm here to re assure you to not worry and keep on the straight and narrow.You want that body? Take it by force and yes...do cardio.
This is just one man's opinion.

Whats the worst excuse you have ever herd from another person to shy away from weight loss?Please share your storys here.
I appreciate this post. I'm currently 8.3% body fat...still trying to get lower. I was a bit worried about muscle loss from my reduced calories (1900/1500)... I needed to hear that bit of encouragement. It'll come back!

I heard someone say just the other day they won't reduce their calories because their strength would reduce. They were afraid their bench press max would reduce if their body weight reduced, even if their body weight reduction was fat reduction. Just shook my head.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I appreciate this post. I'm currently 8.3% body fat...still trying to get lower. I was a bit worried about muscle loss from my reduced calories (1900/1500)... I needed to hear that bit of encouragement. It'll come back!

I heard someone say just the other day they won't reduce their calories because their strength would reduce. They were afraid their bench press max would reduce if their body weight reduced, even if their body weight reduction was fat reduction. Just shook my head.
I know alot of people say don't change your way of training but I believe adding in low reps /big weight is a great way to increase strenght and maintain muscle mass while on a cut.I made strenght gains with no anabolics in my extreme cut to get to 7%.Many times people underestimate their own body.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
I know alot of people say don't change your way of training but I believe adding in low reps /big weight is a great way to increase strenght and maintain muscle mass while on a cut.I made strenght gains with no anabolics in my extreme cut to get to 7%.Many times people underestimate their own body.
Exactly! Even at a large calorie deficiency I continue to train heavy. If it builds muscle it is likely to spare it, right? Haha

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly! Even at a large calorie deficiency I continue to train heavy. If it builds muscle it is likely to spare it, right? Haha
That's the theory.I opt for 3-5 rep ranges so I can build more strenght vs hypertrophy because you are going to lose some.The strenght gains however make up for that...allowing you to go back to your normal rep ranges with heavier weight and be back to putting on mass.This has worked for me.Everyone is different though.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I just got back into the gym after a long time out and muscle memory is definitely a huge factor. I've been eating in a deficit most the time with days I eat at maintenance for 7 weeks now. Every workout I've been able to add weight to the bar as well as gain size whilst in fat loss mode. I'm sure my gains would be a bit faster if I was eating at surplus but hell I got some abs I wanna see first. There is way too much broscience and misconceptions about everything related to fitness and the gym. I can't believe how many girls I tell to lift weights that think they are gonna get bulked up and have arms bigger than mine.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just got back into the gym after a long time out and muscle memory is definitely a huge factor. I've been eating in a deficit most the time with days I eat at maintenance for 7 weeks now. Every workout I've been able to add weight to the bar as well as gain size whilst in fat loss mode. I'm sure my gains would be a bit faster if I was eating at surplus but hell I got some abs I wanna see first. There is way too much broscience and misconceptions about everything related to fitness and the gym. I can't believe how many girls I tell to lift weights that think they are gonna get bulked up and have arms bigger than mine.
Props.How long were you out?

*extend a rant*What gets me is Many people still think cardio burns muscle except for low intensity.The calorie negitive is what dose this and helps weight loss not the cardio.Unless your running a 10k or at 6-7 % bodyfat you shouldn't worry about significant damage caused by the cardio.Steady state is what has been used for years and worked.You know something new and exciting has to come along.As long as your in a calorie deficit you shouldn't need to do HIIT.That is... for the average bodybuilder of course.If your prepping for a show then of course you should because it speeds up the process but look at the natty bodybuilders who do hiit.They lose 20 lbs of fat and about the same in muscle.Gain it back,build more in the off season and do this whole process again.Remember ...eating less than you need is what burns muscle and fat.Doing Short intense cardio,long steady cardio,circuits,using fat burners won't burn muscle.The calories are what matter.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I was out for 10 months. Got my arm snapped in Japan in an MMA tourney and when I go back from that I lost my job, lost my woman, and turned into an alcoholic haha. Your exactly right, calorie deficit = loss of fat+muscle. If these people are so worried about losing their muscle and want to lose fat, why don't you just eat at maintenance and wait for a long time for things to even out

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was out for 10 months. Got my arm snapped in Japan in an MMA tourney and when I go back from that I lost my job, lost my woman, and turned into an alcoholic haha. Your exactly right, calorie deficit = loss of fat+muscle. If these people are so worried about losing their muscle and want to lose fat, why don't you just eat at maintenance and wait for a long time for things to even out
What I call the"celltech" mentality.Gain 20 lbs in 3 weeks on our protein powder with advanced protein delivery system code name skamjuu which will increase protein uptake to that of dbol and methyl1-t.As good as steroids only 69.99 oh and heres a free shaker....

Impatient people will forever make a mockery of the fitness lifestyle.You can quote me on that.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What I call the"celltech" mentality.Gain 20 lbs in 3 weeks on our protein powder with advanced protein delivery system code name skamjuu which will increase protein uptake to that of dbol and methyl1-t.As good as steroids only 69.99 oh and heres a free shaker....

Impatient people will forever make a mockery of the fitness lifestyle.You can quote me on that.
wow this sums it up here. I think we all get into that mind set. Us keyboarding scientist here reading the millions of studies, diets, training programs and looking at the athlete who is promoting it get lost in it all.
Slow and steady, best way.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
My dad just signed up to a weight loss clinic with b12 injections. I hate that I told him how to low carb and do everything the weight loss clinic is doing and he didnt listen. Hes out 100 to 200 bucks a month because his sons veiws of diet and excersise is much less important than the veiws of these scam artist. They gave him a water pill a phentermine script , b12 injections with lipoderm. Coupled with low carb and they will keep getting his money month after month.
Hes down 18 lbs due to carb deprivation and starvation. I give these "doctors" a middle finger for making him starve himself and perscribing this diet/scripts knowing he has high bloodpressure. *end rant*