Meal suggestions and late night snacking!

  1. New Member
    alewisdvm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    130
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

    Meal suggestions and late night snacking!


    Hello,
    In middle of cut.

    Looking for some general recommendations for meals to keep calories to a minimum.

    I really need to shoot for about 1600 calories a day to stay in a deficit.

    I tend to eat something like:
    1. 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites scrambled in AM with a cup of mixed fruit.

    For Lunch:
    I used to eat at Togo's or Subway. Now, I am going to bring to work 2ounces of turkey breast and/or a can of albacore, with some baked chips, and just water to drink

    For Dinner:
    A chicken or fish meal. Fortunately, have a wife that can cook very healthy meals like a reduced fat turkey lasagna.

    What other basic breakfasts or lunches could I do?

    Also desparate for some late night snacks? Right now, i'll eat some popcorn (low fat), carrots, wheat thins...any ideas?

  2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,763
    Rep Power
    2974486
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    82.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Damn turkey lasagna sounds awsome haha
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  3. New Member
    indysoccer16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    1068
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    54.38%

    have you used banana's to make ice cream? That is usually pretty good, and you can add a little natural PB and cinnamon to it for a different taste
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    alewisdvm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    130
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

    Sounds good.
    I was thinking of just a quick, small hand snack. I am assuming carrots, popcorn, maybe some almonds aren't bad at night. Anything else?
  5. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258613
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    9.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    a big reason that you are eating late night is probably because you are not eating enough calories through the day...
  6. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Snack on jalapeno peppers. The heat will reduce appetite, and the activation of capsasin receptors is associated with health benefits.

    Br
  7. Banned
    Eberly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    48.71%

    Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    Hello,
    In middle of cut.

    Looking for some general recommendations for meals to keep calories to a minimum.

    I really need to shoot for about 1600 calories a day to stay in a deficit.

    I tend to eat something like:
    1. 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites scrambled in AM with a cup of mixed fruit.

    For Lunch:
    I used to eat at Togo's or Subway. Now, I am going to bring to work 2ounces of turkey breast and/or a can of albacore, with some baked chips, and just water to drink

    For Dinner:
    A chicken or fish meal. Fortunately, have a wife that can cook very healthy meals like a reduced fat turkey lasagna.

    What other basic breakfasts or lunches could I do?

    Also desparate for some late night snacks? Right now, i'll eat some popcorn (low fat), carrots, wheat thins...any ideas?
    latenight snacking really is pretty bad. You eat a lot of food and then do nothing but sit there, so the food never gets worked off.
  8. New Member
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14110
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    6.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Eberly View Post
    latenight snacking really is pretty bad. You eat a lot of food and then do nothing but sit there, so the food never gets worked off.
    NONONO! Stop perpetuating myths! By and large, it's not going to matter what time you eat, so long as you are at a caloric deficit for the day.

    Moving on... you can make life easier for yourself by dropping things like the baked chips, having an english muffin with your eggs in the morning instead of fruit (I'm anti-sugar), and eating more veggies. Since I have a sweet tooth, one of my favorite go-to snacks in the evening is a cup of plain fat free Greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla casein protein mixed in, and cinnamon and a packet of Stevia. It tastes surprisingly like cream cheese frosting and has a fairly heavy texture that fills you up. The stats are: 280 cal, 53 g protein, 1 g fat, and 12 g carbs.

    Whilst cutting you should become good friends with eggs, fat free cottage cheese, fat free plain Greek yogurt, and big salads (I prefer arugula) with lots of veggies and meat.
  9. New Member
    alewisdvm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    130
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

    Thanks for reply.
    How about an english muffin with some almond butter and maybe just a 1/2 cup of mixed fruits for the overall health benefits.

    Love some chips with lunch, but what else do you eat! I hate to think I am just eating a couple ounces of just albacore tuna or just a hunk of turket breast with mustard?
  10. New Member
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14110
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    6.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    Thanks for reply.
    How about an english muffin with some almond butter and maybe just a 1/2 cup of mixed fruits for the overall health benefits.

    Love some chips with lunch, but what else do you eat! I hate to think I am just eating a couple ounces of just albacore tuna or just a hunk of turket breast with mustard?
    Cottage cheese! A cup of cottage cheese is only 160 cal, but 28 g protein. Why not also throw the turkey on an Orowheat sandwich thin (100 cal) with spinach, peppers, and red onion? That sounds like a sandwich to me!

    And yes, the mixed fruits with breakfast will be just fine. For breakfast on lifting days I usually have an english muffin w/peanut butter and honey, some coffee, and a scoop of whey protein mixed w/water.

    Alllsooo, BCAAs can become your best friend on a cut. The calories are negligible, but they add protein to your diet and work great between meals to sip on and actually keep you filled up.
  11. New Member
    alewisdvm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    130
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

    Great!
    Thank you for the confirmation on some mixed fruit. I couldn't imagine that some fruits in the morning would be so bad.
    I will look into the Orowheat sandwich thins. Great idea.

    BCAAs: I drink Xtend during workouts or during elliptical cardio sessions.

    When my caloric intake is more deficit than I would like (because I did a cardio day), I throw in a O.N. gold whey shake. Since I am not bulking, I keep the shakes to a minimum per day.

    Anything to mix into cottage cheese to make it a little more tasty?
  12. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    NONONO! Stop perpetuating myths! By and large, it's not going to matter what time you eat, so long as you are at a caloric deficit for the day.

    Thank you!!!!
  13. New Member
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14110
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    6.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    Great!
    Thank you for the confirmation on some mixed fruit. I couldn't imagine that some fruits in the morning would be so bad.
    I will look into the Orowheat sandwich thins. Great idea.

    BCAAs: I drink Xtend during workouts or during elliptical cardio sessions.

    When my caloric intake is more deficit than I would like (because I did a cardio day), I throw in a O.N. gold whey shake. Since I am not bulking, I keep the shakes to a minimum per day.

    Anything to mix into cottage cheese to make it a little more tasty?
    Just out of curiosity, how many grams of protein are you taking in per day?

    As for the cottage cheese, I always just eat it plain. I suppose some strawberries or peaches would work well in there though. If you were going to go that route, I would eat it post-workout.
  14. New Member
    alewisdvm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    130
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

    Not enough.
    I am looking at MyfitnessPal and it looks like about 140-150. I weight 160.
    It's tough because I want to stay in the caloric deficit, so trying not to take extra whey shakes, because a calorie is a calorie.

    I think I will definitely continue to have at least 1 shake daily on workout days, so that would mean my average protein intake during cut is about 165.
  15. New Member
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14110
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    6.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    Not enough.
    I am looking at MyfitnessPal and it looks like about 140-150. I weight 160.
    It's tough because I want to stay in the caloric deficit, so trying not to take extra whey shakes, because a calorie is a calorie.

    I think I will definitely continue to have at least 1 shake daily on workout days, so that would mean my average protein intake during cut is about 165.
    It's do-able. I had 232 g protein yesterday on 1632 cal. Shakes are not the enemy necessarily, they are another tool that can be helpful in your fitness journey. They're a quick convenient source of protein that can be quite helpful pre and post workout. The problem is when people over-rely on them and neglect other sources of protein.
  16. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    In a caloric deficit whole foods, especially those that are not nutrient dense, should comprise most of your intake if you are experiencing hunger control issues. Vegetables are low energy but high in nutrients and bulk, and tougher meats require more mastication, which slows down eating/chewing, and yields greater feelings of satiety.

    Br
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Late night eating..
    By a312 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
  2. Late Night Training
    By SilverBullet7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
  3. Late Night Meals
    By GoinTopSide in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
  4. Late night workout meal
    By poppin13 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 01:09 PM
  5. Just a late night rant...
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in