6 smaller meals vs 3 large?

  1. New Member
    Jentry07's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    58
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    60.89%

    6 smaller meals vs 3 large?


    I've been hearing mixed thoughts on eating 6 smaller meals a day or 3 large meals? What do you all do to help weight loss? I'm trying to lose and tone up! What would be my best option to go with?

  2. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Everyone will come out of the woodwork and say that that 6 meals a day is the only way this can be done. It actually depends on what your schedule is like and whether or not you're hungry. I eat right at 6 meals a day including my post WO shake. That is on days that I train which is M-F. Sat and Sun are hit and miss, but I still eat 3 or so times a day. I'm just not as hungry on my off days and try to avoid over eating.

    I say try each way for no less than 6 weeks and see what happens. Stick with which ever one works best for you.

    Also remember that even just a handful of nuts or whatever can be counted as a meal.

    Hope this helps.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Everyone will come out of the woodwork and say that that 6 meals a day is the only way this can be done. It actually depends on what your schedule is like and whether or not you're hungry. I eat right at 6 meals a day including my post WO shake. That is on days that I train which is M-F. Sat and Sun are hit and miss, but I still eat 3 or so times a day. I'm just not as hungry on my off days and try to avoid over eating.

    I say try each way for no less than 6 weeks and see what happens. Stick with which ever one works best for you.

    Also remember that even just a handful of nuts or whatever can be counted as a meal.

    Hope this helps.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,340
    Rep Power
    5798430
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    57.48%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    It doesn't really make a difference. The old way of thinking was that 6 smaller meals two hours apart from each other was the way to go. This is a only a theory. There is no benefit to doing 6 smaller meals spaced evenly apart as opposed to eating 3 larger meals. Just eat when you are hungry. But of course aggravated is correct, everyone is going to come out of the wood work and say 6 smaller meals because this is the conventional way of thinking. The same thing goes for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Everyone will say that because that is "what they heard" never giving any actual evidence as to why and how they came up with that number besides that it says it on the side of their protein tub!.
  5. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I think of it this way.. Your body can only process so much protein at one time. If you space out your protein intake over 3 meals vs 6 then you will be able to spark more protein synthesis. If you take in 70 grams protein in each of 3 big meals you can get the same protein in 6 smaller meals at 35 grams protein each. I feel like your body would be more likely to excrete more of the nitrogen if you gave it 70 grams at once vs 35 grams each time. If you are familiar with extractions in organic chemistry it is the same idea. If you extract a compound with 1 L of solution you will get X amount. If you extract twice with 500 mL you will get Y amount TWICE. In this case 2Y > X (aka you get more compound extracted). However you also run the risk of overeating if you do 6 meals. I know a lot of people who tried to lose weight by switching from 3 meals to 6.. and they GAINED weight..why? They gained weight because they ended up eating more then they were before at 3 meals a day since eating 6 times a day gave them more opportunity for error. I eat 6 meals a day but I am bulking. I just cannot get in all my calories at 3 meals a day.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    It doesn't really make a difference. The old way of thinking was that 6 smaller meals two hours apart from each other was the way to go. This is a only a theory. There is no benefit to doing 6 smaller meals spaced evenly apart as opposed to eating 3 larger meals. Just eat when you are hungry. But of course aggravated is correct, everyone is going to come out of the wood work and say 6 smaller meals because this is the conventional way of thinking. The same thing goes for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Everyone will say that because that is "what they heard" never giving any actual evidence as to why and how they came up with that number besides that it says it on the side of their protein tub!.

    Word. I've been through enough trial and error with all this crap that it is always faster to get a feel for myself rather than taking what I read for granted and wonder why it's not working 8 weeks later. Just my .02
  7. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdavid View Post
    I think of it this way.. Your body can only process so much protein at one time. If you space out your protein intake over 3 meals vs 6 then you will be able to spark more protein synthesis. If you take in 70 grams protein in each of 3 big meals you can get the same protein in 6 smaller meals at 35 grams protein each. I feel like your body would be more likely to excrete more of the nitrogen if you gave it 70 grams at once vs 35 grams each time. If you are familiar with extractions in organic chemistry it is the same idea. If you extract a compound with 1 L of solution you will get X amount. If you extract twice with 500 mL you will get Y amount TWICE. In this case 2Y > X (aka you get more compound extracted). However you also run the risk of overeating if you do 6 meals. I know a lot of people who tried to lose weight by switching from 3 meals to 6.. and they GAINED weight..why? They gained weight because they ended up eating more then they were before at 3 meals a day since eating 6 times a day gave them more opportunity for error. I eat 6 meals a day but I am bulking. I just cannot get in all my calories at 3 meals a day.
    I want to see an actual study that shows your body can only process "X" amount of protein at one time. This has been both proven and debunked 1000's of times.
  8. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I want to see an actual study that shows your body can only process "X" amount of protein at one time. This has been both proven and debunked 1000's of times.
    You really think your body can handle 100 grams of protein at once? The liver will deaminate a lot of the proteins if you spike your body with that much. If your goal is 300 grams per day then 100 grams per meal is overkill. I understand what you are saying though and I agree the amount of protein you can handle at once is more than some studies have shown. I do not have the time to pull you all of the studies but they have been done on protein metabolism. As you increase the amount of protein in one meal a higher percentage of the amino acids will be deaminated. So yes two meals of 50 grams is better than 100 grams because you do net more protein. Obv for a simple weight loss diet this really does not matter. Professional bodybuilders spread out their intake this way for a reason. They are trying to increase the amount of protein their body can use and spark protein synthesis more times.
  9. New Member
    Steakumm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    111
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    0.53%

    I recently read an article saying it doesn't matter 6 or 3 provided it's the same amount of calories. I have tried to do the 6 small meal thing but between working family this that getting to the gym ect Preparing 6 meals and eating those meals at the right time is HARD. I just eat 3 eat clean and adjust calories according to whatever the current goal is. Looking to loose weight limit carbs although I know for my self to little carbs I feel like **** get tired and get headaches. I prefer a fast day once a week and increasing cardio . Cut out cheat days or limit them to once every two weeks instead of once a week.
  10. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I want to see an actual study that shows your body can only process "X" amount of protein at one time. This has been both proven and debunked 1000's of times.
    http://abbmcertification.org/inc/ass...soc%202009.pdf

    Here is one study that I found and you can look for more.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'll give this a read. Thanks!
  12. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I'll give this a read. Thanks!
    No prob. For spark notes it just says that taking in 30 grams vs 60 grams protein at one meal did not cause any further stimulation in protein synthesis. However, for a heavy weightlifting individual who weighs over 200 lbs im sure they would be able to process more protein at once compared to a sedentary 130 lb person. I think the study illustrates that every individual has a "set point" at which they cannot process any more protein since our enzymes limit our synthesis rates. So for example you might be able to process 40 grams at once and maybe the person sitting next to you could only process 30 grams at once. But in the end whatever works for you in real life is the way to go. And if you are on a cycle throw this study OUT THE WINDOW since your body is processing protein all day lol.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1502
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Nowhere in this study does it say that the subjects underwent a regular exercise program. Of course they will not be able to take advantage of the overkill of protein they are consuming. I have always been under the impression and have read studies that support the fact that your body will use what it needs. Over supplying it is just considered insurance.
  14. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Nowhere in this study does it say that the subjects underwent a regular exercise program. Of course they will not be able to take advantage of the overkill of protein they are consuming. I have always been under the impression and have read studies that support the fact that your body will use what it needs. Over supplying it is just considered insurance.
    This study shows that your body can only do so much at once and that is true for everyones body. If you only eat three meals you may not be giving your body all that it needs since your body is limited by its enzymatic functions to process and increase protein synthesis.
  15. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,340
    Rep Power
    5798430
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    57.48%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Nowhere in this study does it say that the subjects underwent a regular exercise program. Of course they will not be able to take advantage of the overkill of protein they are consuming. I have always been under the impression and have read studies that support the fact that your body will use what it needs. Over supplying it is just considered insurance.
    Correct. Individuals exercising, require more protein and would be able to "process" more.
  16. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19620
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    http://www.ajcn.org/content/89/1/161.abstract

    Here is another. I am not saying that a sedentary person can process what a non sedentary person can. I am saying each person has a LIMIT. This study above shows individuals who weight train and even their bodies are limited by physiological processes.
  17. New Member
    Turnitup122's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    169
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    17.16%

    3 vs 6 meals really doesn't make much if any difference in real results. Really just do whatever fits ur schedule
    you can lead a man to knowledge, but you cant make him think.
  18. New Member
    n87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    12920
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    35.38%

    Tried both and actually eating 3 meals a day gives me more time to digest. As far weight gain I saw no difference.
    I believe most people are essentially good. I know that I am. It's you I'm not entirely sure of.
    ― Stephen King.
  19. New Member
    Beast Sports's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    55.29%

    It really doesnt matter, your body will acclimate to whatever diet plan u choose. I've been regularly eating lunches with 90-100g of protien for the better part of a year, the large amount of protein has in no way hindered my progress nor have I seen even a marginally noticeable difference between that or spreading it out into 3 smaller meals. I do it because its more convenient.

    Its all about macros at the end of the day, do whats easiest for u
    Beast Sports Nutrition Representative
    www.beastsports.com
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 2 large meals aday 1200cal each?
    By Pika in forum Bulking
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 06:18 AM
  2. One nut smaller than the other, what to do?
    By comacho in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
  3. If you use the smaller ones..
    By bigpetefox in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 01:46 AM
  4. Smaller frequent meals for maintenance
    By MarcusG in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in