Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

NEED SERIOUS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello A.M. i am in serious need of help. i am 24yrs old i am 5'11'' and 275lbs. i am very overweight. my waist is like 48'' {don't know exactly}. i am not used to being this big. after being injured over seas coming back and separating from the military i let me self go. No time like the present. i need to lose massive pounds and inches. asap. SO if any one could help me with a cardio and diet plan i would greatly appreciate it. also any supplements, topicals, or other things you can suggest would be great. i wanna get big but i know i have to cut down alot first. PLEASE HELP.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You just need to diet first and foremost.

I'm not sure the caloric amount you should consume at that size, but start out cutting around 500 calories a day and track your weight.

Cardio might be hard at that size, but I'd recommend low intensity for up to 30 minutes max at first, probably start at like 10 and slowly work up.

If you really were military then you should have the discipline and sense of pride to fix yourself
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.71%

Hello,
    Download a free program called My fitness pal.
    It's a lot of work in the beginning, because you must track all the calories you eat. It gets easier as you input the data, since you eat certain things over and over again. It will determine based on your current normal daily activity how many calories you burn to maintain weight, and then it will help you to figure out how many calories you need to cut to lose a certain amount every week.

There is even a small community blog for support in losing weight.

It's excellent. I am trying to get from 176 to about 165. Not much, but without counting your calories, you'll never get losses.

I would also start some simple cardio. Daily walking, treadmill, elliptical. Anything! Any calories burned helps. Remember, its not about each day, but the total over a long period of time.

Good Luck

Also, don't increase the intensity on any machines you do. It may appear you are burning more calories, but if you get tired in only 10 minutes, you lost all the calories you could have burned at an easier intensity for 30 minutes.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

cardio is not necessary... working out intensely is.

You can just adjust your diet accordingly using the tools mentioned above and start working out regularly, work up to 5 days a week... then as the pounds come off you can incoperate cardio as well if you please.

PLENTY of fat burners and supplements out there but I wouldnt use any till you get to a tough spot and start to lose momentum then you have some extra help there to keep you moving.

GL and as you said, there is no time like now bro, you can do it.

BTW thank you for your service.
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

thanks for the support. i know i should have been better disciplined. i plan on cutting calories to around 1750 daily. then i will cut carbs to about 25 - 30 daily. i was wondering if weight training and cardio or 1 over the other.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

no fat burners yet

Start a 3 meal a day diet 800 cals per meal.

focus meals on protein and fat, fillers are carbs. small amount in breakfast and lunch only

shoot for

275-300g protein, 150-175 carb and 80-110g fat coming from mainly oliver oil avacados macadamia nuts coconut oil and walnuts

choose lean protein.

highest protein meals should be breakfast and dinner to help manage leptin.

id suggest lifting weights again 4-5x a week and low intensity card for 30-45 minutes post workout to start.

examples of carbs to eat

sweet potato, broccoli, squash, quinoa, oats (if you can tolerate) whole wheat breads and wraps (read label carefully)

protein sources: lean turkey (try for 99% lean), london broil, salmon, PERDUE chicken breasts
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

thanks i will add this to my diet plan. have started going to the gym but dont have a specific work out plan if any one could throw one at me i would appreciate it. i will begin implenting this plan on monday. plan to cut for about 12-16 weeks. i will re calculate bi-weekly to addjust the best plan for my body.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

also i want to start a weekly log on here is there a specific forum i would go under to post my progress
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

post in training forum

Monday Chest shoulders
    Tuesday Legs
    Wed off
    Thurs Back
    friday Arms
    sat off
    sun off

simple is key. Simplicity and consistency in the begining.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

adjust calories every month. if your doing what i listed (roughly), and then each month drop 50g carbs.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

weight training i'm thinking low-medium weight ....-medium-high set/rep. abs and cardio everyday. i am going to treat myself like i am in basic training to a certain extent. i will only eat certain thing at certain times. i will do my workouts in the morning when i wake up. and 3 hrs before i go to bed. after 3-4 weeks i will add a supplement to maintain energy as i lower the carbs. right now i plan on eating no more than 1,500 calories a day and drink 100-120 oz of water a day. i have a pre-workout that i am taking to motivate me. i will implement you plans onto my current worksheet i am drawing up.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

well i got my accurate results today. i am 5'11''/71" 290lbs neck=17.5", chest=45", around navel=48.5, around waist=46.5", hips=51.5", biceps=15", forearm=11.5", wrist=8", thigh=29", calf=17", ankle=10"...... calculated to approx. 36-38%BF. this is just terrible. when i was in the service 2 yrs ago i was 222lbs and i want to get down to atleast 215lbs now. i will start my log in the training forum soon. ready to get flamed but criticism fuels my fire to better reach my goals. and thanks. my fitness pal says i should eat about 1,920 calories a day. i will do that or less. and i will do cardio daily and weight training daily as well.
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

lift heavy do big compound movements, then do a deload for a week with high reps after 6 weeks on the previous
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

my fitness pal says i should eat about 1,920 calories a day. i will do that or less. and i will do cardio daily and weight training daily as well.
    Don't drop too much too fat bro, you don't want your body to go into preservation mode n hold into fat instead of shedding it.

Gl hit this thread with a link to your log so we can egg you on!
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.71%

No way.
    My goal is about 1650, to lose 1 pound per week, and I was weighing in at 176 when I started.

You are looking to drop weight too quickly!
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

yeah i was thinkin' like around a pound a day.. i'm eating 3 eggs for breakfast. and alternating tuna , chicken, lean turkey for meats, and fruits and vegatables. not exceeding 50 grams of carbs a day and 1,900 calories. along with my daily workout plan.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.91%

those calories are low for your size. you don't want to drop weight too quickly, it'll just rebound easier. you don't want to lose more than 2-3 lbs a week
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.91%

try closer to to 2500 calories and see how your progress is after a few weeks. if you drop too fast your body will stop dropping fat, because you're almost starting yourself, especially at that weight
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

ok i will put a link 2morrow wen i start to my post in training forum
  20. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.48%

Quote Originally Posted by my92eghatch View Post
    after being injured over seas coming back and separating from the military i let me self go.
    Everything after this sentence was read with an Irish accent.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

^^^ huh? lol
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Everything after this sentence was read with an Irish accent.
    Why Irish lol
  23. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.48%

after being injured over seas coming back and separating from the military i let me self go.
    Because she said "me" instead of "my". It reminded me of the lucky charms leprechaun.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    cardio is not necessary... working out intensely is.

You can just adjust your diet accordingly using the tools mentioned above and start working out regularly, work up to 5 days a week... then as the pounds come off you can incoperate cardio as well if you please.

PLENTY of fat burners and supplements out there but I wouldnt use any till you get to a tough spot and start to lose momentum then you have some extra help there to keep you moving.

GL and as you said, there is no time like now bro, you can do it.

BTW thank you for your service.

It's advice like this that only lets people work out for a short amount of time and then quit because they overdo it. I do agree with you on this for someone to advance themselves later, but for a beginning program, he could start off at just 3 days a week and see good progress and then adjust and add more in. To the OP, like someone else said, start with tracking your calories and figuring out what you're eating that's hindering your progress and adjust accordingly.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

okay. so i just gotta make sure i dont over do it right. i have been tracking my calories and i'm eating between 2,200 and 2,650 daily.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

hate to sound confusing but what i specifically wanna do is get my upper body stronger and bigger. and my waist and gut down to about 34" from the current 48" . but i wanna be strong and big as hell up top. should i bulk or cut 1st. don't really car about BF as long as its below like 20% which is down from current 36%. wanna get my thighs down as well. sorry for sounding confusing.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Because she said "me" instead of "my". It reminded me of the lucky charms leprechaun.
    That is classic. lol i apologize for my english. at times i don't realize what i am doing.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

okay. so i just gotta make sure i dont over do it right. i have been tracking my calories and i'm eating between 2,200 and 2,650 daily.
    When i started at 300+ lbs, i was eating between 2400-2600 cal a day and losing 1 to 1.5 a week. I started out going balls to the wall and hit a wall in about 2 months. I simplified everything and made better progress and was able to stick with a program. Don't worry about "bulking" or "cutting" just focus on calorie intake and making changes to eat better foods, and focus on compound movements (bench press, squats) and go from there later on. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%

okay. so i should get back in the mix and get comfortable. and then once i find out what works best for me implement it into my daily until it stops working and then change up again. since everyone and everybody type is different. does this sound about right. because i have been told continuosly that no matter what the most important thing is what and when i eat.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    It's advice like this that only lets people work out for a short amount of time and then quit because they overdo it. I do agree with you on this for someone to advance themselves later, but for a beginning program, he could start off at just 3 days a week and see good progress and then adjust and add more in. To the OP, like someone else said, start with tracking your calories and figuring out what you're eating that's hindering your progress and adjust accordingly.
    uuuhhhh

you quoted my post but are you sure you meant to???
    if so re read what I put....

i said work UP TO 5 days a week, NO CARDIO at first and Drop cals incrementally not drastically and save good fat burners for once plateaus and sticking points are reached.... ????

How is that something that would cause them to burn out of the bat? It specifically helps them ease into it and continue to progress
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    uuuhhhh

you quoted my post but are you sure you meant to???
    if so re read what I put....

i said work UP TO 5 days a week, NO CARDIO at first and Drop cals incrementally not drastically and save good fat burners for once plateaus and sticking points are reached.... ????

How is that something that would cause them to burn out of the bat? It specifically helps them ease into it and continue to progress
    yup, misread it. apologies, i read it as saying work out 5 days a week.
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74

yup, misread it. apologies, i read it as saying work out 5 days a week.
    S'all good
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28%

yeah i was thinkin' like around a pound a day.. i'm eating 3 eggs for breakfast. and alternating tuna , chicken, lean turkey for meats, and fruits and vegatables. not exceeding 50 grams of carbs a day and 1,900 calories. along with my daily workout plan.
    you are going right dude. just have some more diet. do not eat junk food. when you eat egg in a day, then do not eat chicken or meat in that day.you calories are too much. decrease them to 700-800. as you do not wanna to loss wight quickly, so then start dieting first and then eat balanced food. hope it will help you a lot.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%

You need to lose a lot of weight relatively quickly before you consider gaining muscle.

I recommend you try the subway diet. I had excellent results on the subway diet last year and can cite many reasons why its an excellent diet.

The main reason why its such an excellent diet is because its portion controlled. You never overeat because you know exactly what you are eating. The other main benefit of the subway diet is its very healthy food with lots of vegetables and lean meat.

The diet is a very simple 3 meal a day affair.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats with cinnamon and sweetner

Lunch: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

Dinner: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

The diet averages 1200 calories with 120g of carbohydrates, 70g of protein, 20g of fat and 20g of fibre.

You should lose 2 pounds per a week on this diet. This is a low calorie diet and you can expect it to be difficult to adhere to at the beginning but I have a tip to make it easier.

If you stop eating for 3 days you lose your appetite on the third day. For a person who has never lost their appetite before this is a strange feeling because you are not full but you don't want to eat and you don't feel hungry anymore. However it is very difficult to reach the third day and this could take several tries before you achieve it.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Rethink View Post
    You need to lose a lot of weight relatively quickly before you consider gaining muscle.

I recommend you try the subway diet. I had excellent results on the subway diet last year and can cite many reasons why its an excellent diet.

The main reason why its such an excellent diet is because its portion controlled. You never overeat because you know exactly what you are eating. The other main benefit of the subway diet is its very healthy food with lots of vegetables and lean meat.

The diet is a very simple 3 meal a day affair.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats with cinnamon and sweetner

Lunch: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

Dinner: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

The diet averages 1200 calories with 120g of carbohydrates, 70g of protein, 20g of fat and 20g of fibre.

You should lose 2 pounds per a week on this diet. This is a low calorie diet and you can expect it to be difficult to adhere to at the beginning but I have a tip to make it easier.

If you stop eating for 3 days you lose your appetite on the third day. For a person who has never lost their appetite before this is a strange feeling because you are not full but you don't want to eat and you don't feel hungry anymore. However it is very difficult to reach the third day and this could take several tries before you achieve it.
    im sorry but all of this just sounds DUMB... where did you pick up ANY of these ideas?

And you cant guarantee anyone will lose a set amount of weight on a set diet... if its TOO low his body could go into starvation mode and try to hold on to fat instead of burn it, if its too high he could just as easily gain weight from a caloric surplus. If he is even anywhere close to a small deficit with that diet for his height/weight and activity level then he MAY lose some fat but there's no guarantee hes gonna lose 2 lbs and there's no guarantee that some of it isnt catabolized muscle mass....

Besides Subways bread is far from nutritious and their meat is mostly processed, not what I would want to base my diet off of.... and dont eat at all for 3 days to jump start a fat loss diet??? idiotic and unhealthy... try cutting down portion sizes gradually not altogether stop eating, THAT will get your appetite down in a safe gradual manner and keep fatloss going as you reduce cals to meet your needs.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough

im sorry but all of this just sounds DUMB... where did you pick up ANY of these ideas?

And you cant guarantee anyone will lose a set amount of weight on a set diet... if its TOO low his body could go into starvation mode and try to hold on to fat instead of burn it, if its too high he could just as easily gain weight from a caloric surplus. If he is even anywhere close to a small deficit with that diet for his height/weight and activity level then he MAY lose some fat but there's no guarantee hes gonna lose 2 lbs and there's no guarantee that some of it isnt catabolized muscle mass....

Besides Subways bread is far from nutritious and their meat is mostly processed, not what I would want to base my diet off of.... and dont eat at all for 3 days to jump start a fat loss diet??? idiotic and unhealthy... try cutting down portion sizes gradually not altogether stop eating, THAT will get your appetite down in a safe gradual manner and keep fatloss going as you reduce cals to meet your needs.
    Agreed. 1200 calories is too low. Usually LBM x 10-12 is a good standard for weight loss. Obviously people are different and you'll have to tweak it, but try something like that. It'll put you around 1800-2200 calories a day
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.84%

If you want to lose more than a pound of fat or half a Kg then you need to cut calories to the 1200-1400 range.

The reason why I suggested the subway diet is because it is easy and it has worked for me. The food is healthy besides your misgivings and I managed to lose over 1 kg a week while doing cardio every day.

Furthermore your ideas on starvation mode and catabolism are wrong. Scientific studies prove that people on 800 calorie a day diets with resistance training don't lose a significant amount of muscle mass over a 12 month period. Your ideas are based on the paranoid fears of the authors of misinformation. Some people are so scared of being small that when they lose weight they insist they are losing muscle because they are smaller when its completely due to fat loss.

Furthermore 3 days of fasting before you begin a diet also works. A 3 day fast is a more effective appetite suppressant than any supplement on the market and you can't criticise this before you try it. After 3 days without eating your metabolism slows by 7% but it recovers once you start eating again. Provided you maintain low calories your appetite doesn't recover.
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Rethink View Post
    If you want to lose more than a pound of fat or half a Kg then you need to cut calories to the 1200-1400 range.

The reason why I suggested the subway diet is because it is easy and it has worked for me. The food is healthy besides your misgivings and I managed to lose over 1 kg a week while doing cardio every day.

Furthermore your ideas on starvation mode and catabolism are wrong. Scientific studies prove that people on 800 calorie a day diets with resistance training don't lose a significant amount of muscle mass over a 12 month period. Your ideas are based on the paranoid fears of the authors of misinformation. Some people are so scared of being small that when they lose weight they insist they are losing muscle because they are smaller when its completely due to fat loss.

Furthermore 3 days of fasting before you begin a diet also works. A 3 day fast is a more effective appetite suppressant than any supplement on the market and you can't criticise this before you try it. After 3 days without eating your metabolism slows by 7% but it recovers once you start eating again. Provided you maintain low calories your appetite doesn't recover.
    link to articles regarding your claims please
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.1%

What's the hurry with losing the weight? Seriously.

There's this gal, younger gal in my gym - pretty face ... but when she started at the gym about a year ago - she had an ass the size of the state of Texas.

She has steadily lost weight, gradually - but steadily. This morning I was looking at her bottom, and thinking nasty thoughts - she's still heavy - but looking good and still progressing. She may not "get there" for another year - but she's in no hurry.

She's in her 20's and I'm almost 50 and I told her ... "You know - if I were a younger man, and not married - I'd ask you for a date in heartbeat."

And that wasn't a lie.

I asked her about this and she said ... "I will have to be a gym rat the rest of my life - so if it takes me two years to get the weight off - that's an insignificant amount of time in the big picture."

And - she's right. She absolutely does not starve herself - nice steady loss. If you can't lose the weight slowly - there's a high probability you won't have the dedication to keep it off when you do.

I like people like this.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.91%

a pound of fat is 3500 calories. if you cut your expenditure by 400-500 a day then you'll be closer to losing a lb a week. Cutting to 1200 could be a 1200 calorie a day deficit (8400 weekly) that's more than necessary by a great deal