Losing Muscle?

Bananas

Awards
I know this may sound crazy... but I want to lose muscle... does anyone know how I can go about doing this?

I worked out from age 18-23 and became very tone and muscular for a girl... but now I hate it. Even though I am lean, I feel uncomfortable in a lot of cloths that I once use to wear... especially halter tops, short sleeve shirts, camisoles, etc... because of my muscular shoulders and arms. Three years ago I decided to stop working out completely, in hopes that i'd lose some muscle mass. However, I hardly lost any muscle mass at all... and now I have developed fat in places that I don't want. I love exercising, but I avoid it because I seem to build lots of muscle mass very easily. To make matters worse, I now have intense shoulder pain all the time... I suppose from lack of exercise.

I am considering taking a low dose of prednisone for a few months, to help with my shoulder inflamation/pain and also induce muscular atrophy. I know the side effects also include weight gain, but I could address that after I stopped taking the medication.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, besides telling me that I'm crazy for wanting to lose muscle?

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
well im sure theres nothing wrong with still doing like cardio exercises and what not to keep fat from building up

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I have a hunch you're rocking more bodyfat than you might think. Start tracking your calories and your macronutrient intake, get your diet in check, and hit some cardio and you'll be svelt in no time.

Bananas

Awards
I have a hunch you're rocking more bodyfat than you might think. Start tracking your calories and your macronutrient intake, get your diet in check, and hit some cardio and you'll be svelt in no time.
I'm not so sure...I am 5'8 and at the absolute most I weigh 120 lbs. I recently had saw a doctor who does lipo and I asked him to look at my arms and back... and he suggested that I quit working out completely because of how tone I was. I explained to him that I haven't worked out in 3 years, it's just my natural body build... I can't stand it. He did say there was enough fat that he could lipo off the back of my arms and under my arm pits... but that it would hardly be worth it. My hope was that he would tell me what you are suspecting, that I have more bodyfat than I tihnk, but that's not the case.

If you have any suggestions about how I may lose this muscle, I'd be really happy. The only things I can find are to do intense carido, which I don't suspect would work in my case... starve myself, which i don't want to do... and take prednisone... which I also don't want to do. Prednisone is looking to be my best bet though, because of how fast the muscular atrophy is, and the relief it would give my shoulder pain.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
perhaps exersise and under eat protein, or do cardio first thing in the morning without breakfast.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not so sure...I am 5'8 and at the absolute most I weigh 120 lbs. I recently had saw a doctor who does lipo and I asked him to look at my arms and back... and he suggested that I quit working out completely because of how tone I was. I explained to him that I haven't worked out in 3 years, it's just my natural body build... I can't stand it. He did say there was enough fat that he could lipo off the back of my arms and under my arm pits... but that it would hardly be worth it. My hope was that he would tell me what you are suspecting, that I have more bodyfat than I tihnk, but that's not the case.

If you have any suggestions about how I may lose this muscle, I'd be really happy. The only things I can find are to do intense carido, which I don't suspect would work in my case... starve myself, which i don't want to do... and take prednisone... which I also don't want to do. Prednisone is looking to be my best bet though, because of how fast the muscular atrophy is, and the relief it would give my shoulder pain.
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a relatively common and often severe psychiatric illness that is likely underrecognized and underreported. It is classified as a somatoform disorder in DSM-IV-TR; however, some authors have argued that it may be considered as part of the obsessive-compulsive or psychotic disorder spectrum.[SUP][1] [/SUP]The essential feature of this disorder is a preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance or disproportionate concern with a slight physical anomaly. These preoccupations most often involve the nose, ears, face, hair, or features related to sexuality (such as breasts in women or muscular build or penis size in men), yet any body part may occupy the patient’s focus. By definition, body dysmorphic disorder causes significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other areas of functioning.[SUP][2] [/SUP]
Data suggest that quality of life and psychosocial functioning is as poor as, or poorer than, in those with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).[SUP][3] [/SUP]BDD is associated with high rates of hospitalization (48%), and high rates of suicidal ideation and attempts.[SUP][4, 5] [/SUP]A history of suicidal ideation attributed primarily to BDD is reported in 45-70% of those with BDD, and past suicide attempts are reported in 22-24%.[SUP][6] [/SUP]
BDD affects 1-2% of the general population, making it more common than schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and its prevalence has been reported to be as high as 7-15% in those undergoing cosmetic surgery.[SUP][7, 8, 9, 10] [/SUP]Persons with BDD who choose to undergo plastic surgery are generally unhappy with the results, and later often become concerned with another body part. They are often consumed with thoughts about the postoperative site. Surgeons and dermatologists have occasionally been victims of violence, even murder, by patients with BDD who are in despair over their procedural outcomes.[SUP][11] [/SUP]

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a relatively common and often severe psychiatric illness that is likely underrecognized and underreported. It is classified as a somatoform disorder in DSM-IV-TR; however, some authors have argued that it may be considered as part of the obsessive-compulsive or psychotic disorder spectrum.[SUP][1] [/SUP]The essential feature of this disorder is a preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance or disproportionate concern with a slight physical anomaly. These preoccupations most often involve the nose, ears, face, hair, or features related to sexuality (such as breasts in women or muscular build or penis size in men), yet any body part may occupy the patient’s focus. By definition, body dysmorphic disorder causes significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other areas of functioning.[SUP][2] [/SUP]
Data suggest that quality of life and psychosocial functioning is as poor as, or poorer than, in those with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).[SUP][3] [/SUP]BDD is associated with high rates of hospitalization (48%), and high rates of suicidal ideation and attempts.[SUP][4, 5] [/SUP]A history of suicidal ideation attributed primarily to BDD is reported in 45-70% of those with BDD, and past suicide attempts are reported in 22-24%.[SUP][6] [/SUP]
BDD affects 1-2% of the general population, making it more common than schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and its prevalence has been reported to be as high as 7-15% in those undergoing cosmetic surgery.[SUP][7, 8, 9, 10] [/SUP]Persons with BDD who choose to undergo plastic surgery are generally unhappy with the results, and later often become concerned with another body part. They are often consumed with thoughts about the postoperative site. Surgeons and dermatologists have occasionally been victims of violence, even murder, by patients with BDD who are in despair over their procedural outcomes.[SUP][11] [/SUP]
dunn, don't ban me, but i think you're overreacting. everyone on this site would qualify to be diagnosed with the above. if that's the case we should close this forum because it only facilitates the perpetuation of the aforementioned disorder.

you're an older guy so i'm sure you've heard the phrase '' we are our own biggest critic'' or some derivative of the sentiment. if everyone was happy 'just the way they are', no one would go to the gym, or maintain such unorthodox diets - but we do, and we love it. all supplements,steroids, etc pushed way aside.

a woman feeling too muscular is no different than man feeling too soft. however, we live in a post-modernistic BS world , where everything has to be diagnosed as some type of disorder. in my opinion all of these definitions and labels contribute to mass paranoia. people feeling some sort of an ache go on webmd and think they have cancer. it's out of control.

she isn't crazy. her doctor agreed that she is significantly more muscular than 'normal'. so he's crazy too , i take it?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
btw, OP don't take prednisone. you will lose more than muscle. it's a terrible drug.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dunn, don't ban me, but i think you're overreacting.
what is with the "don't ban me?" I haven't banned anyone in what seems like forever. Relax! You are entitiled to your opinion if it can be expressed respectfully even when you disagree with me. I am not a tyrant.

everyone on this site would qualify to be diagnosed with the above. if that's the case we should close this forum because it only facilitates the perpetuation of the aforementioned disorder.
Obsession and lifestyle are different. As well, one who would go to the "extremes" to compensate for a "perceived flaw" has issues of the kind mentioned. Of course not all are going to murder their doctors but if it is to the point of preoccupation, depression and unhappiness then it is unhealthy and to a degree a mental health issue.

you're an older guy so i'm sure you've heard the phrase '' we are our own biggest critic'' or some derivative of the sentiment. if everyone was happy 'just the way they are', no one would go to the gym, or maintain such unorthodox diets - but we do, and we love it. all supplements,steroids, etc pushed way aside.
Again, lifestyle. I have a very healthy diet and it is not unorthodox aside from higher in protein than is the "norm" because I do not buy into the traditional "macro pyramid" nor does it work for my phenotype. I eat vegetables, and protein, ice cream and pizza and train hard and regularly and it has not hindered the results I still achieve equal to when I was insanely critical of my diet and lived a sad life of obsessive dieting and training.

There are kids on here that are obsessive compulsive and using extreme means to achieve desire results. They eat 2-3x/bw in protein, lifting 7 days a week, using extreme training methods of professional juiced to the gills BBer's and are skinny fat guys or fat fat guys. The results do not ever equate to the means.
a woman feeling too muscular is no different than man feeling too soft. however, we live in a post-modernistic BS world , where everything has to be diagnosed as some type of disorder. in my opinion all of these definitions and labels contribute to mass paranoia. people feeling some sort of an ache go on webmd and think they have cancer. it's out of control.

she isn't crazy. her doctor agreed that she is significantly more muscular than 'normal'. so he's crazy too , i take it?
Here is the question - where is she getting the message that she is too muscular? Aside from her own perceptions, is it soft insecure men, fat normal women, etc.? How many times do you and other guys come on here and say to a guys who is looking for treatement "get another doctor!" or "get a doctor who knows what he is doing!"?

I am significantly more muscular than normal. Then again normal is middle aged men with low bone density, low lean body mass, high cholesterol and blood pressure, depression and impotence. I'll take significantly more muscular than normal any day. For goodness sake my BMI suggests that I am extremely obese and at risk of sudden death.

She is significantly more muscular tha normal. Normal woman have issues with low bone density, osteo(sp), low lean body mass, visceral fat, saddle bags, depression, and the likes. She should be looking at this completly different than what she is. IMHO.

Show me pictures of the girl and then we can be the judge of what is more muscular than is normal.

Bananas

Awards
I see this is still going =)
You do offer valid concerns about BDD... and I see how I could be considered a candidate based on the limited information I've provided you. However, I've had many guys tell me that I'm really muscular, and many women too... Of course, not all of it has been negative feedback... but still I don't want to be muscular. I don't care so much about my size or my weight, I would just prefer a softer body... it makes me feel more feminine. It says I am not allowed to post links because I have only made 2 posts. So, I am posting broken links =) Just connect the h to the ttp and the link will work
h ttp://i54.tinypic.com/zxnpz5.jpg
This is my bicep/shoulders... this is after 3 years of complete inactivity. As you can see, they are still completely solid. The only area that isn't tight anymore are my triceps.
And this is my back... h ttp://i51.tinypic.com/11v2trd.jpg
when I raise my arms you can see every single muscle in my back and creates quite the V shape.
h ttp://i51.tinypic.com/28qwzg2.jpg
You have to admit, for somebody who hasn't worked out in 3 years... I am pretty tone and muscular.
I understand this is ideal for some people... but it's not what I want. I enjoy being fit, but I want to be soft. If I had the necessary fat to balance out this muscle with lets say.. big butt and boobs, then I may not be so concerned... but without it I feel bulky up top. I don't think this has so much to do with BDD as it does personal preference... but I do appreciate your concerns =)

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I'm glad you sent pics; you are NOT bulky in the least. Seriously, stop worrying about it because you don't need to lose any muscle, any fat, or anything else, you look great. Eat healthy, make sure to exercise, and you will be fine.

You do offer valid concerns about BDD... and I see how I could be considered a candidate based on the limited information I've provided you. However, I've had many guys tell me that I'm really muscular, and many women too... Of course, not all of it has been negative feedback... but still I don't want to be muscular. I don't care so much about my size or my weight, I would just prefer a softer body... it makes me feel more feminine. It says I am not allowed to post links because I have only made 2 posts. So, I am posting broken links =) Just connect the h to the ttp and the link will work
This is my bicep/shoulders... this is after 3 years of complete inactivity. As you can see, they are still completely solid. The only area that isn't tight anymore are my triceps.
when I raise my arms you can see every single muscle in my back and creates quite the V shape.
You have to admit, for somebody who hasn't worked out in 3 years... I am pretty tone and muscular.
I understand this is ideal for some people... but it's not what I want. I enjoy being fit, but I want to be soft. If I had the necessary fat to balance out this muscle with lets say.. big butt and boobs, then I may not be so concerned... but without it I feel bulky up top. I don't think this has so much to do with BDD as it does personal preference... but I do appreciate your concerns =)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now I am more concerned ;)

I can understand your preference but I must tell you, in the event that you have not heard it or hear it enough - you are beautiful and feminine in every physical aspect.

I cannot convince you to change your opinion. You are every ounce a feminine woman. Believing otherwise for whatever reason is simply foolishness.

You are making me sad hearing you speak of yourself this way. I'm sure it is just me and the fact that I have two daughter, both of which are athletic, one is a gymnist. The gymnist and her mother both have bodies just like your own.

You are beautiful just the way you are. If you want to be softer then have the boys that must be knocking down your door for dates take you out to buffet dinners and be sure to load up on the ice cream and cookies for dessert.

Bananas

Awards

I can understand your preference but I must tell you, in the event that you have not heard it or hear it enough - you are beautiful and feminine in every physical aspect.

I cannot convince you to change your opinion. You are every ounce a feminine woman. Believing otherwise for whatever reason is simply foolishness.

You are making me sad hearing you speak of yourself this way. I'm sure it is just me and the fact that I have two daughter, both of which are athletic, one is a gymnist. The gymnist and her mother both have bodies just like your own.

You are beautiful just the way you are. If you want to be softer then have the boys that must be knocking down your door for dates take you out to buffet dinners and be sure to load up on the ice cream and cookies for dessert.[/QUOTE

Aww thank you.. that was very sweet. I wish I could see what it is that you are talking about... but I can't.. Perhaps I do have some thinking errors. I may actually try to find a therapist who deals with body issues... I've considered it before, but then again I feel like I can't be bothered.
I think maybe I should start running... I love exercise, but like I said... I avoid it because I put on muscle very fast. It seems I wouldn't have to worry about putting on much muscle, besides on my legs (which is fine), with running.
A big part of me knows I should be happy with what I have, and consider it a blessing... but as you've pointed out, I obviously have some thinking errors. I really do appreciate all you've written on this thread =)

owlicks

owlicks

Awards

You are beautiful just the way you are. If you want to be softer then have the boys that must be knocking down your door for dates take you out to buffet dinners and be sure to load up on the ice cream and cookies for dessert.
The man speaks the truth, that is for sure. You are beautiful and you have a beautiful body, don't let anyone else (or even yourself) tell you otherwise.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I agree, you dont have to do anything. A lot of girls would kill for that figure.

Here's somthing that may put your mind at ease. Take a tape measure and measure your around your bi's tris. My guess is you wont hit 11 inches (or even 10). You just have low body fat.

Bananas

Awards
I agree, you dont have to do anything. A lot of girls would kill for that figure.

Here's somthing that may put your mind at ease. Take a tape measure and measure your around your bi's tris. My guess is you wont hit 11 inches (or even 10). You just have low body fat.
I just did this... my right arm flexed is 11.15". My left arm is significantly smaller. My shoulders from point to point are 17.15", so probably something like 37" around. And then for cloths I am 33" chest, 26" waist and 34" hips... but I've always know those measurements.

One thing about girls is they almost always want something different than they have... I am 5'8 and i often see girls who are shorter than me, with thick hair and lots of curves... I tell them I want to look like them, and they tell me they want to look like me. It can be pretty ironic =)

compudog

compudog

Awards
I know this may sound crazy... but I want to lose muscle... does anyone know how I can go about doing this?

I worked out from age 18-23 and became very tone and muscular for a girl... but now I hate it. Even though I am lean, I feel uncomfortable in a lot of cloths that I once use to wear... especially halter tops, short sleeve shirts, camisoles, etc... because of my muscular shoulders and arms. Three years ago I decided to stop working out completely, in hopes that i'd lose some muscle mass. However, I hardly lost any muscle mass at all... and now I have developed fat in places that I don't want. I love exercising, but I avoid it because I seem to build lots of muscle mass very easily. To make matters worse, I now have intense shoulder pain all the time... I suppose from lack of exercise.

I am considering taking a low dose of prednisone for a few months, to help with my shoulder inflamation/pain and also induce muscular atrophy. I know the side effects also include weight gain, but I could address that after I stopped taking the medication.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, besides telling me that I'm crazy for wanting to lose muscle?
Don't take prednisone, it's awful. If you want to lose muscle, just don't work out until you're 40. Then you'll look overweight and old just like everyone else.

Who cares if you look more muscular than other girls? I think it's a tragedy that girls don't want to work out and be strong. It's ok for girls in their 20's, but after that if a girl isn't fit then her attractiveness falls off a cliff. On the other hand, women in their 30's and 40's who do work out are far better looking than their peers who don't. So much so that it's like looking at someone from a different planet.

So, don't be in such a hurry to jump on that old, fat, and unhealthy bandwagon. If you have a fitness habit already then I say stick with it, it can only be a good thing.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
All I have to say has already been said, but I will reiterate... you dont have too much muscle mass, just moderate amounts with very low bf% which then shows off that muscle more.

I think you have a great figure personally and if you have the itch to exercise then by all means do so. Its great therapy in and of itself and will do loads for you mentally as well as physically.

I have many BBesque girls at my gym and you are no where near their muscle mass and the broad shoulders they have developed. As you stated yourself many would kill to be in your position. Youve been blessed with great genetics, dont destroy that with drugs that damage your entire body and organs, not just muscles.

flw

flw

Awards
Very feminine and attractive figure, no too muscular at all.

androsoft

androsoft

Awards
if you really want to loose muscle. go on a veggie diet, and do alot of slow long cardio. you'll loose alot more muscle than fat.