Cut calories or Cut carbs?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Cut calories or Cut carbs?


    Either approach should work right?
    What have u guys found successful with cutting carbs? What's the method like for cutting them?

    Read this (see below).
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.


  2. So is this saying that the fat burning properties of the Atkins diet are made up by the restriction of calories? If you are on the atkins diet yet you restrict your carb free calorie intake down to 1600 with a BMR or 2100 calories you aren't burning more fat off your body then just a calorie restricting diet down to 1600 calories? Its hard to understand the benefits of the Atkins diet when they say that it switches you into "fat burning mode"...I suppose its harder to restrict calories with the Atkins diet because the caloric density of the foods that you tend to eat on the Atkins diet are higher so restricting both is impossible. I suppose I have to try a calorie restriction diet in order to find out how my body reacts to both because I have successfully used the Atkins diet to loose weight in the past but I have never successfully completed a calorie restricting diet. Has anyone ever done this type of comparison with these 2 diets before?
    •   
       


  3. That conclusion is moronic. Cutting calories is the only thing that will make a difference. In order to cut calories, you may have to cut carbs, as maintaining proper protein and fat intake is essential for preserving muscle while cutting. Cutting carbs, however, is not a necessary condition to losing fat, whereas cutting calories is.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by owlicks
    That conclusion is moronic. Cutting calories is the only thing that will make a difference. In order to cut calories, you may have to cut carbs, as maintaining proper protein and fat intake is essential for preserving muscle while cutting. Cutting carbs, however, is not a necessary condition to losing fat, whereas cutting calories is.
    What's ya daily carb intake like?
    What would u consider low, high & moderate for your self?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  5. strength and power athletes: ketogenic diet 5-10%
    endurance and high aerobic athletes i.e cyclists and runners: low/moderate 20-30% carb

    work out your BMR less 300 kcal for starters then go from there. Dont be agressive to early. Find your feet.

    calories in and out matter but make em quality...stick to whole foods. better value and better end results. helps control insulin levels te least processed the food is i.e a shake compared to 1 oz of chicken breast boiled
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    What's ya daily carb intake like?
    What would u consider low, high & moderate for your self?
    I agree with runner_79 for the most part. For me personally, my breakdown on lifting days is more or less 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat -- and on non-lifting days it's about 25% carbs/50% protein/25% fat. As far as the actual numbers, on non-lifting days I take in ~2000 cal and under 150 carbs (the majority of them being complex as opposed to fructose), and on lifting days I take in ~2400 cal and 250 carbs.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by owlicks

    I agree with runner_79 for the most part. For me personally, my breakdown on lifting days is more or less 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat -- and on non-lifting days it's about 25% carbs/50% protein/25% fat. As far as the actual numbers, on non-lifting days I take in ~2000 cal and under 150 carbs (the majority of them being complex as opposed to fructose), and on lifting days I take in ~2400 cal and 250 carbs.
    How we go about arriving at a set point of fat loss is individual...
    You may be metabolically positioned to use more carbs and be efficient where as others may not be...
    The more efficient you are at using carbs as energy and not converting to fat, the better you are off.
    For the mainstream, mod to low carb is fine and that alone can be the deficit(lack of carbs) where are all others remain at n=1
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  8. Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    How we go about arriving at a set point of fat loss is individual...
    You may be metabolically positioned to use more carbs and be efficient where as others may not be...
    The more efficient you are at using carbs as energy and not converting to fat, the better you are off.
    For the mainstream, mod to low carb is fine and that alone can be the deficit(lack of carbs) where are all others remain at n=1
    I disagree. In fact, my carb intake on workout days is still too low. YOU WILL NOT GET FAT from carb intake, so long as you are below your maintenance calorie level. You will, however, have trouble putting on mass if complex carbs do not make up a significant portion of your diet at least on lifting days. To reiterate, CARB INTAKE ALONE WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT, but if you are trying to cut, carbs are the first area you should look to cut in your dietary plan because you simply can't afford to sacrifice the fat or protein.

  9. Would u say a regular white potato is complex carbs or no?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    I disagree. In fact, my carb intake on workout days is still too low. YOU WILL NOT GET FAT from carb intake, so long as you are below your maintenance calorie level. You will, however, have trouble putting on mass if complex carbs do not make up a significant portion of your diet at least on lifting days. To reiterate, CARB INTAKE ALONE WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT, but if you are trying to cut, carbs are the first area you should look to cut in your dietary plan because you simply can't afford to sacrifice the fat or protein.
    They can if you eat the wrong ones at the wrong time.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Would u say a regular white potato is complex carbs or no?
    White potatoes are complex carbs, but they are higher on the glycemic index than sweet potatoes, therefore they will cause your blood sugar level to rise more rapidly than sweet potatoes. Read: white potatoes are more useful in a post-workout meal than at other times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    They can if you eat the wrong ones at the wrong time.
    Please elaborate?

  12. Calories in Vs calories out is ultimately what it comes down to. What the calories consist of is important, however protein and fat should be the primary concerns and carbs make up the the rest of the calories. Sticking to the basic rules of cutting, i.e 1 to 1.5g of protein per pound of bw and .4g of fat per pound of bw and a calorific deficit, it makes sense that the carb intake will naturally be a lot lower.

    Basically, count calories not carbs.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    That conclusion is moronic. Cutting calories is the only thing that will make a difference. In order to cut calories, you may have to cut carbs, as maintaining proper protein and fat intake is essential for preserving muscle while cutting. Cutting carbs, however, is not a necessary condition to losing fat, whereas cutting calories is.
    Didn't realize this had basically been said. Basically, +1.

  14. Carbs is the best option imo, kick in ketosis, keep dietary fat up, protien will be easily taken in and you get shredded also as long as your fats high enough you'll start producing more test

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Lockxxheed
    Carbs is the best option imo, kick in ketosis, keep dietary fat up, protien will be easily taken in and you get shredded also as long as your fats high enough you'll start producing more test
    The zone I think is more for me 40c/30f/30p
    What's your opinion on that?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  16. They can if you eat the wrong ones at the wrong time
    not true

    meal/nutrient timing/frequency is fairly irrelevant

  17. Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    not true

    meal/nutrient timing/frequency is fairly irrelevant
    ^^^ This. Keeping carbs around workout times is the ideal place to put them, but beyond that.....it makes little difference. Type of carb....or placement of carbs. Stick to a solid, balanced diet of protein/carbs/fats......reduce calories and train. Simple as that.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com

  18. I believe you guys as long as you're hitting everything on the daily & training you should be fine.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    not true

    meal/nutrient timing/frequency is fairly irrelevant
    You're wrong, it can make a difference especially to those who are carb sensitive. Taking in either massive amounts of carbs or higher insulinogenic carbs at all times of the day will keep insulin high, promoting fat storage.

    Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    ^^^ This. Keeping carbs around workout times is the ideal place to put them, but beyond that.....
    Yeah, exactly. It does matter. Taking in carbs peri-workout (pre, intra, post), and at breakfast if you wish(whatever time that may be for you) is most optimal.

    I don't have qualms about the macro breakdown of a diet. Saying that when you take in carbs and what kinds is an idiotic statement. Half of america eats at maintenance or below but are as big as a truck.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    You're wrong, it can make a difference especially to those who are carb sensitive. Taking in either massive amounts of carbs or higher insulinogenic carbs at all times of the day will keep insulin high, promoting fat storage.

    Yeah, exactly. It does matter. Taking in carbs peri-workout (pre, intra, post), and at breakfast if you wish(whatever time that may be for you) is most optimal.

    I don't have qualms about the macro breakdown of a diet. Saying that when you take in carbs and what kinds is an idiotic statement. Half of america eats at maintenance or below but are as big as a truck.
    Yeah half America is also eating empty calories and not exercising.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  21. Cut cals and carbs.
    you can lead a man to knowledge, but you cant make him think.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Turnitup122
    Cut cals and carbs.
    I gotcha
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  23. When u drop some carbs you will INITIALLY drop water weight which will help to start off...win win
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  24. Think what I'm working on is 40/30/30 the zone. See how that works
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  25. Make them sweet potato or yams and starchy veggies instead of grains...
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  26. Quote Originally Posted by runner_79
    Make them sweet potato or yams and starchy veggies instead of grains...
    I've been doing that sweet potatos mostly. I do have some whole wheat toast & oatmeal every so often.

    Runner ur pretty smart it seems is that u in the avi?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  27. I love to read and have many people to thank though with the paleo advocacy. Nutrition and metabolism.
    Yes it is me
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  28. Quote Originally Posted by runner_79
    I love to read and have many people to thank though with the paleo advocacy. Nutrition and metabolism.
    Yes it is me
    Maybe I can't tell by the pics. Do u lift u look rather lean...
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1

    Maybe I can't tell by the pics. Do u lift u look rather lean...
    I'm a runner... Lol

    I do strength based 2 day split for running stride and injury prevention...
    Cheers Cuz
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    You're wrong, it can make a difference especially to those who are carb sensitive. Taking in either massive amounts of carbs or higher insulinogenic carbs at all times of the day will keep insulin high, promoting fat storage.
    It seems like everyone on this forum is on this "insulin-fat-storage-dogma-thing". Meal timing is really a much lesser issue than people make it out to be. I do agree that the MOST OPTIMAL place to eat is an hour (give or take) before and an hour (give or take) after your workouts. Beyond that, whether you stack the rest of your carbs/calories at breakfast, lunch, or right before bed makes very little difference in your physique. The type of carbs you consume makes very little difference in body composition. The extremist will always argue something ridiculous like "what if someone eats pure honey all day long?" or something stupid like that. But bringing the discussion back to reality......it doesnt matter if you have white rice or brown, sweet potato or white, bread and pasta or oatmeal. Variety is the spice of life. And if you are a highly active person in a calorie deficit insulin control is not really worth worrying about.


    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I don't have qualms about the macro breakdown of a diet. Saying that when you take in carbs and what kinds is an idiotic statement. Half of america eats at maintenance or below but are as big as a truck.
    Perhaps half of america is as big as a truck, but that is because they are eating ABOVE their maintenance calories. The term "maintenance" means the caloric intake required to maintain bodyweight. If half of America were eating below maintenance (ie. by defintition = losing weight) we would see a lot more skinny people walking around.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. carbs/calories on non-lifting days
    By pinchharmonic in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 06:54 AM
  2. calories/calories from fat/ sugar alcohol
    By stfdkd37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Log in
Log in