Is yogurt a good weight loss food?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Is yogurt a good weight loss food?

I was not having yogurt for last 3 months however I recently read on a website that yogurt is good to lose weight.
    Hussey

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Answers

Depends on the type of yogurt. Plain yogurt shouldn't hurt weight loss, and its a good source of calcium.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Read the labels A lot of Yogurt has tons of sugar. Greek Yogurt has 0 fat and alot of quality protein, but can also have tons of sugar. Even plain Greek Yogurt, which doesn't taste at all good by itself, had lactose. Not optimal for weight loss. Think keto my man.
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

ANY food can be used in a weight loss diet.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  158 lbs.
    Answers

Its more important to watch your caloric intake and how many calories you're burning than to watch which kinds of food you're eating if you only concerned about weight loss.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    ANY food can be used in a weight loss diet.
    not sure what you meant by this. but it doesn't address the OPs question.

this does :

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...at-weight-loss.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    not sure what you meant by this. but it doesn't address the OPs question.

this does :

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...at-weight-loss.
    ummm... the question was "Is yogurt a good weight loss food?" and my answer was "ANY food can be used in a weight loss diet."

Looks pretty much like I answered his specific question. He asked if yogurt would benefit him in his efforts to loose weight and my response was ANY food can be used( so yes yogurt can be used). How did I not answer his question?

As to this nonsense - http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...at-weight-loss

Funny you find a study that supports milk in a weight loss diet that is funded by the NATIONAL DAIRY COUNCIL. That study isn't biased at all is it?

Read below to see what happened when someone else tried to duplicate those results

Nov. 19, 2004 -- A new study casts doubt on earlier, highly publicized findings suggesting that dairy foods burn off body fat.

Only last April, a University of Tennessee study found that people on high-dairy, low-calorie diets lost a lot more weight than those on low-dairy, low-calorie diets.

The National Dairy Council funded that study. Another dairy industry-supported study was expected to confirm these findings. But that didn't happen, says study leader Jean Ruth Harvey-Berino, PhD, professor and chairwoman of the department of nutrition and food science at the University of Vermont.

"When we got our results, it was quite disappointing that there were no differences between the high- and low-dairy groups in our study," Harvey-Berino tells WebMD. "It may be that a low-calorie, high-dairy diet may offer just two pounds more weight loss than a low-calorie, low-dairy diet. But it is not going to be a magic bullet."

Harvey-Berino presented the findings at this week's Las Vegas meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity.

Calories Trump High-Dairy/Low-Dairy Difference

Harvey-Berino and colleagues studied 54 borderline-obese people with an average age of 45. All got a low-calorie diet and a behavior-modification plan that included plenty of exercise. Half the subjects were restricted to only one serving of dairy food each day. The other half got three or four servings of dairy food daily.

After six months, everybody lost weight -- 22 pounds in the high-dairy group and 20.5 pounds in the low-dairy group. The difference is not statistically significant; that is, the difference is so small it could be due to chance.

That's a far cry from findings reported last April by Michael Zemel, PhD, director of the University of Tennessee Nutrition Institute. Zemel's high-dairy group lost about the same amount of weight: about 24 pounds. But his low-dairy group lost a lot less: only 15 pounds if they didn't get calcium supplements and only 19 pounds if they did get calcium pills.

What's going on? Zemel says the weight of evidence in multiple studies since 1999 shows that dairy foods help the body burn fat. He suggests that people in the Harvey-Berino's low-dairy group may have eaten so few calories that they didn't get any additional benefit from dairy foods.

"You can only metabolize so much body fat," Zemel tells WebMD. "If you are on a diet with modest calorie restriction, you can improve that effect with dairy foods. However, if you are already restricting calories a lot, you may be at your body's maximum effect and may not see any extra effect of dairy foods."
    Milk isn't magic. Calories in vs calories out determine weight loss and gain.

The study you linked is the reason why most people want "peer reviewed" studies. With companies funding studies that they have a possibility of making a profit on depending on the results quickly diminishes the value of that study. In this case, when you have the national dairy council funding a study to show if dairy is beneficial in weight loss, of course the study results will show yes. As you can see the follow up study was never performed and when someone else tried to duplicate the study to confirm the findings it was quite different (only 2 pounds loss).

Pubmed is your best place to look for studies to support something

The impact of calcium and dairy product consumption on weight loss.
    Harvey-Berino J, Gold BC, Lauber R, Starinski A.
    Source

Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0148, USA. Jean.Harvey-Berino@uvm.edu
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:

Recent evidence suggests that diets high in calcium and dairy products are associated with lower body weight, particularly lower body fat levels. The purpose of this study was to compare weight and body fat loss on a calorie-restricted, low-dairy (CR) vs. high-dairy (CR+D) diet.
    RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES:

Fifty-four subjects (BMI 30 +/- 2.5 kg/m2, 45 +/- 6.6 years, 4 men) were randomly assigned to calorie-restricted (-500 kcal/d) low-dairy calcium (n = 29; approximately 1 serving dairy/d, 500 mg/d calcium) or high-dairy calcium (n = 25; 3 to 4 servings dairy/d, 1200 to 1400 mg/d calcium) diets for 12 months. Main outcome measures included change in weight (kilograms) and body fat (percentage).
    RESULTS:

There were no significant differences between groups at baseline. At 12 months, weight and body fat loss were not significantly different. Subjects in the CR vs. CR+D conditions lost 9.6 +/- 6.5 vs. 10.8 +/- 5.9 kg (p = 0.56) and 9.0 +/- 3.8 vs. 10.1 +/- 3.6 kg body fat (p = 0.37).
    DISCUSSION:

These findings suggest that a high-dairy calcium diet does not substantially improve weight loss beyond what can be achieved in a behavioral intervention.

PMID: 16286519
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Well I am not sure that yogurt is really helpful to lose weight . You need to search about it on internet for more information . I hope you will find answer of your required query .
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    ummm... the question was "Is yogurt a good weight loss food?" and my answer was "ANY food can be used in a weight loss diet."

Looks pretty much like I answered his specific question. He asked if yogurt would benefit him in his efforts to loose weight and my response was ANY food can be used( so yes yogurt can be used). How did I not answer his question?

As to this nonsense - http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...at-weight-loss

Funny you find a study that supports milk in a weight loss diet that is funded by the NATIONAL DAIRY COUNCIL. That study isn't biased at all is it?

Read below to see what happened when someone else tried to duplicate those results

Milk isn't magic. Calories in vs calories out determine weight loss and gain.

The study you linked is the reason why most people want "peer reviewed" studies. With companies funding studies that they have a possibility of making a profit on depending on the results quickly diminishes the value of that study. In this case, when you have the national dairy council funding a study to show if dairy is beneficial in weight loss, of course the study results will show yes. As you can see the follow up study was never performed and when someone else tried to duplicate the study to confirm the findings it was quite different (only 2 pounds loss).

Pubmed is your best place to look for studies to support something
    a few points :

Calories aren't all equal. Why is it on a keto diet weightloss occurs at a much higher calorie level than with a standard diet?

addressing the milk question, you still haven't disproved that milk is good for weightloss. adequate calcium is required for the body to run optimally. in high levels, calcium increases T levels. Unfortunately, not many foods are high in calcium. Milk is better for calcium than steak. So yes, milk ( and any other high calcium food ) is good for fatloss . eating nothing but steak every day will hurt your fatloss, invariably.

No one said that specifically milk was good for fatloss. The question was whether dairy ( yogurt ) is a good fatloss food. the answer is yes because it helps you to get essential nutrients. Pizza can't get me what yogurt can. Pizza doesn't have pro biotic cultures that help your digestive system. the same would be true if someone were to say milk, cheese, etc or possibly a multivitamin. Yes, a multivitamin helps with weightloss.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  10. Banned
    Answers

Best to follow proper diets and daily workouts for weight loss...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Answers

I do like yogurt for fat loss -- 0% Fat Greek Yogurt in fact. I usually buy either the 0% ***e brand or 0% Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt, both are good. The Trader Joes brand for example has 120 cal, 6 g sugar, and 22 g of protein per 1 cup serving. Add a couple packets of Splenda and it's delicious.

When I'm cutting, I try to keep sugar intake to a minimum and try to stretch my calories with the most food for the least amount of calories. By this measure, the Greek Yogurt holds up pretty well - a great protein amount to calorie ratio, right up there with cottage cheese (which I also eat while cutting).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
  2. A good weight loss/fat burner for my wife...
    By AMTorres in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
  4. Where can I find good articles on weight loss?
    By freezito in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 09:24 AM